• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Why do you care?

It’s seems like a lot of fans spend way too much time worrying about what other fans think.

I couldn’t give a shit what a fan of another club thinks about Liverpool, least of all fucking Everton.
Couldn’t agree more.

Had a convo with a bitter at training the other night.....

....he says...

‘ it’s a difficult choice whether we want to win or not, if you know what I mean’

.....I says.......

‘Not really, I don’t know what you mean, I’d just want my team to win’

He’s a pretty decent guy, so I’m not laying the boot in.....

He also went on to say

‘ it,d be just typical of us (Everton) to win this game’.......

No it wouldn’t mate. No it wouldn’t.

Show me the Mane

Huddersfield look doomed
Philip Billing is only 22 years old and could be a decent signing for someone, whether Liverpool would be interested, I doubt it but I have been impressed with him and I'm sure he'd look better in a better side

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Kai Havertz is really starting to deliver on his potential. 11 goals and 6 assists in 2230 minutes @ 19 is bloody impressive. I'm sure we will at some point go in for him, he was shown around Anfield/Melwood when he was 17 I believe.

Him and Werner would be the dream to compliment our midfield/attack.

Add those two plus someone like Lloyd Kelly who can deputise for Robertson at left back and learn under Virgil at center half.

Then it's the question of do we replace Matip/Lovren - I'd say yes due to injuries and their complete inability to be reliable. De Ligt or Militao is the dream, but would we go big for another prospect or would we bring in someone to rotate with Gomez and is proven a solid/reliable right center half? Militao would be my choice simply due to the fact he plays right back to a top standard as well and flexibility seems the order of the day here.

Havertz - CM/AM : £60mil
Werner - LF/CF : £45mil
Kelly - LB/CB : £15mil
Militao - CB/RB : £50mil

£170mil seems about right for our spend considering what we have in the bank.

p.s. Bild reckons Edwards was in Germany this past week.

vzok

Huddersfield look doomed
Philip Billing is only 22 years old and could be a decent signing for someone, whether Liverpool would be interested, I doubt it but I have been impressed with him and I'm sure he'd look better in a better side
What sort of referee is he?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
On the thoughts on CB there's two things I'd consider separately.

First a CB who can also play LB (a left sided Gomez could potentially be a solution to a lot of issues).

Second a top CB (preferably youngish) that can be relied upon to play week in week out as it's unrealistic to rely upon Gomez and Van Dijk always being available.

One or both come in and I could see Lovren wanting to leave for somewhere he'll be undisputed first choice. At his age and unreliability from a fitness and performance level I'd let him get his wish. Both come in and I think it's time to move Matip on too.

Who I target would depend on what's happening in the bigger picture.

If we are only bringing one in then someone like Romagnoli to play CB and LB makes sense. But if we brought in someone like De Ligt then going big on the second position doesn't make as much sense.

Going back to the reasons why we targeted Van Dijk we need a very broad spectrum of abilities at CB.

They've got to be big and dominant in the air as it's one of the only attacking avenues left open to opposition. Likewise quick paced too to combat through balls on the counter with our high line.

They have to have a brain in their head but I'm sure Klopp can work on their tactical awareness if needed. Got to be good and comfortable on the ball though. Also got to be able to stand up for themselves physically as it's a tougher league than most. Will spend large parts of the game isolated so cant need leading through games, got to at least have internal leadership/ability to make their own decisions.

I said when we were targeting Virgil that you don't have to be the best at all of these and there may be "better" CBs out there that don't have every box ticked.

Under those criteria there's a few names I've thought of we go big for a starting capable CB but I've only got limited knowledge.

Mentioned Romagnoli before as someone I think could play both CB and LB under Klopp anyone with better knowledge of Italian football agree or disagree?

De Ligt gets mentioned a lot as a pure CB option but can he handle our rough league? It'll be expensive to find out.

Always been impressed by Lascelles who flies under the radar, would he be ready for the step up?

Does Maguire have the technical requirements?

Koulibaly seems a good choice.

Anyone familiar with German players got an opinion on Jonathan Tah? He seems to tick all the boxes and young enough to really kick on.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Good list of CB's there but to my eyes Maguire is FAR too slow. Lascelles is a leader but is he good enough? Koulibaly and De Ligt would be HUGE money but we can't have Gomez on the bench. Maybe we'll aim a bit lower and cheaper?

Skriniar is highly rated. Would he be an option for us? And what about Ogbonna? Looks like a good defender every time I watch West Ham.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Good list of CB's there but to my eyes Maguire is FAR too slow. Lascelles is a leader but is he good enough? Koulibaly and De Ligt would be HUGE money but we can't have Gomez on the bench. Maybe we'll aim a bit lower and cheaper?

Skriniar is highly rated. Would he be an option for us? And what about Ogbonna? Looks like a good defender every time I watch West Ham.

Would the young lad we're up against today at Bournemouth be an option,Nathan Aké.I know there's something about chelsea having an option on him but that doesn't mean we couldn't try.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Would the young lad we're up against today at Bournemouth be an option,Nathan Aké.I know there's something about chelsea having an option on him but that doesn't mean we couldn't try.
Really not convinced by anyone under 6'2" being capable of defending what opponents throw at us. Do get some shorter defenders that are strong in the air but not sure Ake is one of them.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Really not convinced by anyone under 6'2" being capable of defending what opponents throw at us. Do get some shorter defenders that are strong in the air but not sure Ake is one of them.
Don’t you think Aké would have been able to defend the goal Agüero scored against us because he is faster and more flexible/mobile than Lovren?

I agree that his height can be an problem for a CB but it’s not like we face big men striker in every game.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
On the thoughts on CB there's two things I'd consider separately.

First a CB who can also play LB (a left sided Gomez could potentially be a solution to a lot of issues).

Second a top CB (preferably youngish) that can be relied upon to play week in week out as it's unrealistic to rely upon Gomez and Van Dijk always being available.

One or both come in and I could see Lovren wanting to leave for somewhere he'll be undisputed first choice. At his age and unreliability from a fitness and performance level I'd let him get his wish. Both come in and I think it's time to move Matip on too.

Who I target would depend on what's happening in the bigger picture.

If we are only bringing one in then someone like Romagnoli to play CB and LB makes sense. But if we brought in someone like De Ligt then going big on the second position doesn't make as much sense.

Going back to the reasons why we targeted Van Dijk we need a very broad spectrum of abilities at CB.

They've got to be big and dominant in the air as it's one of the only attacking avenues left open to opposition. Likewise quick paced too to combat through balls on the counter with our high line.

They have to have a brain in their head but I'm sure Klopp can work on their tactical awareness if needed. Got to be good and comfortable on the ball though. Also got to be able to stand up for themselves physically as it's a tougher league than most. Will spend large parts of the game isolated so cant need leading through games, got to at least have internal leadership/ability to make their own decisions.

I said when we were targeting Virgil that you don't have to be the best at all of these and there may be "better" CBs out there that don't have every box ticked.

Under those criteria there's a few names I've thought of we go big for a starting capable CB but I've only got limited knowledge.

Mentioned Romagnoli before as someone I think could play both CB and LB under Klopp anyone with better knowledge of Italian football agree or disagree?

De Ligt gets mentioned a lot as a pure CB option but can he handle our rough league? It'll be expensive to find out.

Always been impressed by Lascelles who flies under the radar, would he be ready for the step up?

Does Maguire have the technical requirements?

Koulibaly seems a good choice.

Anyone familiar with German players got an opinion on Jonathan Tah? He seems to tick all the boxes and young enough to really kick on.
WE were linked heavily with Tah a few years ago, has he kicked on since then?

Not sure that we can bring in established players as cover that easily. Think We're more likely to get someone like Klavan at the tail end of his career, or a journeyman

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Don’t you think Aké would have been able to defend the goal Agüero scored against us because he is faster and more flexible/mobile than Lovren?

I agree that his height can be an problem for a CB but it’s not like we face big men striker in every game.
I haven't seen enough of Ake but from what little I have, I am left wondering why people are so eager we sign him...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
How do you feel about those taller than 6'2",someone like Matip.
Matip can be good enough. But he can be inconsistent and hesitant. Main reason for letting him move on though is his injury issues. He's a fantastic 4th choice on ability.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
WE were linked heavily with Tah a few years ago, has he kicked on since then?

Not sure that we can bring in established players as cover that easily. Think We're more likely to get someone like Klavan at the tail end of his career, or a journeyman
They're not cover though. How much has Lovren and Matip played between them? With a top CB around he would play loads. Gomez misses games and covers RB. If it was someone like Romagnoli you might find he could play pretty much every game appropriate taking into account missed games and rest. We really need to get past a starting 11 and cover players. It's not the reality anymore.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

It's one of two ways opposition teams have open to them to try and get to us. High balls over the top or crossed from the wing or set pieces. The other is balls for quick players to run onto in an attempt to beat the high line. We need CBs who are fast paced and good in the air not just one or the other.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@GermanRed is this accurate on Tah?

"Another young star who has taken his game to another level so far this season, Jonathan Tah is ranked the second-best defender in the Bundesliga with 69.34% of challenges won.

Strong in the challenge and with a good turn of pace, the Leverkusen man is also comfortable in possession and is never afraid to use a bit of skill to get himself out a tight situation.

Tah may have been unlucky to miss out on Germany’s squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup although it could prove to be a blessing in disguise following their embarassing group-stage exit, and it has taken national team coach Joachim Low long to introduce the 23-year-old back into the fold."

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
They're not cover though. How much has Lovren and Matip played between them? With a top CB around he would play loads. Gomez misses games and covers RB. If it was someone like Romagnoli you might find he could play pretty much every game appropriate taking into account missed games and rest. We really need to get past a starting 11 and cover players. It's not the reality anymore.
If they are here to play Lcb/LB then they are not starting ahead of VVD and Robertson.

Gomez is our starter at RcB. The incoming player has to be convinced that there will be a chance to dislodge him otherwise again he will be cover. Its not me you or the club have to convince about the importance of cover - its the incoming player who has a firm idea as to where he should be in the pecking order.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If they are here to play Lcb/LB then they are not starting ahead of VVD and Robertson.

Gomez is our starter at RcB. The incoming player has to be convinced that there will be a chance to dislodge him otherwise again he will be cover. Its not me you or the club have to convince about the importance of cover - its the incoming player who has a firm idea as to where he should be in the pecking order.
Absolutely no reason whatsoever that VvD and Romagnoli (for instance) couldn't play at CB together.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

In 33 games Gomez has managed 18 so far. Two of them from the bench. He's also played 5 of those 18 at RB. VvD has had no injuries and hardly been rested (always a bit of a risk) and Gomez hasn't covered Alexander-Arnold as much as Trent maybe needed it. It would be incredibly easy to persuade a CB they were coming in to be a starting option. Especially if being bought for big money and seeing an established senior CB move on like Lovren or Matip.

lfc.8

van Dijk and Gomez won't play every game. Rotation and injuries will provide enough games for another top centre back.

Limiescouse

Yet again Google is your friend. You are telling people they are wrong for widely known facts why don't you look into it before telling others they are wrong. And no. No that very rarely happens as conflicts in interest are USUALLY discouraged.
The position Gill took on the board of Directors at the FA (not the league, but the FA) was a position specifically allocated to representatives of the Premier League clubs. It was one of, I think, 4 such seats. So no, the perceived conflict is not remotely discouraged.

It is also important to note that he did not get the position until 2006. So, if we're going to allocate a significant portion of Utd's success to Gill's influence because of his position with the FA, how do we explain their prior 15 years?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
In 33 games Gomez has managed 18 so far. Two of them from the bench. He's also played 5 of those 18 at RB. VvD has had no injuries and hardly been rested (always a bit of a risk) and Gomez hasn't covered Alexander-Arnold as much as Trent maybe needed it. It would be incredibly easy to persuade a CB they were coming in to be a starting option. Especially if being bought for big money and seeing an established senior CB move on like Lovren or Matip.
That case is much harder to make should Gomez return early next month and have no problems for the remainder of the season. Especially, if the club decide to no longer play him at RB (wasnt he playing RB when he picked up his most recent injury?).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
That case is much harder to make should Gomez return early next month and have no problems for the remainder of the season. Especially, if the club decide to no longer play him at RB (wasnt he playing RB when he picked up his most recent injury?).
In all fairness, as much as I want it to be true, that's two massive "IF" points there. He's still seemingly Klopps second choice RB until a change is made and acknowledged. And I don't think any CB goes a third of a season without missing a single game anyway. Even Van Dijk is already set to miss one in the Champions League and he's the least likely outfield player in our squad to be rested and rarely picks up injuries. I'd guess, best case scenario, Gomez will play 75% of our remaining games. Most but not all at CB. That leaves Matip and Lovren covering up to half our games for Gomez and any Van Dijk misses too between them. Even if a new CB is coming in under the belief he will be behind Gomez in the pecking order he will probably be thinking he can potentially get 30-40 starts at CB in all comps. If we are spending big on an established CB though they are likely to believe that Gomez will be the one covering for them not the other way around. What happens after they've arrived will depend on performance and availability though. Lovren and Matip already have 27 appearances between them this season. There's easily enough room for another top class CB.