• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

koptician

We'll go again!
Can I repeat Wilf Zaha? We know JK admires the player. He literally has two defenders hanging on him every moment of every game and still creates chances and scores goals. The space he’d get with us because there are others that would occupy opposing defences...he’d rip them to shreds!

Elessar

The position Gill took on the board of Directors at the FA (not the league, but the FA) was a position specifically allocated to representatives of the Premier League clubs. It was one of, I think, 4 such seats. So no, the perceived conflict is not remotely discouraged.

It is also important to note that he did not get the position until 2006. So, if we're going to allocate a significant portion of Utd's success to Gill's influence because of his position with the FA, how do we explain their prior 15 years?
Money. Miles and miles ahead of everyone else the first 10 years or so of that 15 years. Arsenal won the PL a couple of times but that was before they had to start paying for the new stadium. Then Roman bought Chelsea and they could challenge United in the transfer market.

Many referees also admitted that they got bullied by Ferguson but was to scared to report it. They probably won a few titles because of that. Ferguson also admitted that the bullying was a part of his tactics. He wanted to destroy referees and make them scared of him. He screamed a lot at the referees during the games.

A shithole of a man using shithole tactics.

Elessar

I forgot the cheating when Ferguson many many times visited the referee in their locker room after the first half. If you believe Rafa that is.

If that is true then they should be stripped of many of their titles and be relegated but the FA are to scared to do a proper investigation.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Can I repeat Wilf Zaha? We know JK admires the player. He literally has two defenders hanging on him every moment of every game and still creates chances and scores goals. The space he’d get with us because there are others that would occupy opposing defences...he’d rip them to shreds!
I think there are still doubts about his overall workrate particularly in regards to his defensive side and his numbers - doesnt get as many assists/goals that would probably be needed for the price he would cost given his age.

Limiescouse

Money. Miles and miles ahead of everyone else the first 10 years or so of that 15 years. Arsenal won the PL a couple of times but that was before they had to start paying for the new stadium. Then Roman bought Chelsea and they could challenge United in the transfer market.

Many referees also admitted that they got bullied by Ferguson but was to scared to report it. They probably won a few titles because of that. Ferguson also admitted that the bullying was a part of his tactics. He wanted to destroy referees and make them scared of him. He screamed a lot at the referees during the games.

A shithole of a man using shithole tactics.
It was rhetorical

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I like Ake quite a bit, but probably wouldn't want to spend the money it would take to get him in as a reliable 3rd CB option. I think he'd do fine next to VVD or Gomez if one was out though. He has a calmness in his game that is reassuring.

I'd prioritize a youngish LB we can bring in to groom as an understudy, and depending on how klopp views Wilson, a winger to compete/ back up with mane or shaqiri. Hopefully Wilson will tick that box, but if not id spend about our entire budget on Zaha or the like. Moving Salah to central striker, I'd like an option besides shaq to come in on the right.

If we can find a good, reliable (usually healthy) CB for not outrageous money, I'd do that as well, but I'm fine having Matip be fourth choice CB. Has to be about the best 4 choice CB in the league.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I like Ake quite a bit, but probably wouldn't want to spend the money it would take to get him in as a reliable 3rd CB option. I think he'd do fine next to VVD or Gomez if one was out though. He has a calmness in his game that is reassuring.

I'd prioritize a youngish LB we can bring in to groom as an understudy
Think the reason why Aké gets mentioned so often is the fact that he can also cover LB - on the same level Joe Gomez plays at RB IMO. I don't know if there are other CBs who could also cover LB.

-not as good as Lovren or Matip at the moment
-for a CB he is 'small'

+can cover LB
+faster and more agile than Lovren and Matip
+high potential and he would improve massively under Klopp and next to VvD

Aké would be an interesting choice but he is not a 'no brainer'. Probably wouldn't come cheap and i'm pretty sure Chelsea have still something to say about his future (matching right/return clause/sell on clause).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think the reason why Aké gets mentioned so often is the fact that he can also cover LB - on the same level Joe Gomez plays at RB IMO. I don't know if there are other CBs who could also cover LB.

-not as good as Lovren or Matip at the moment
-for a CB he is 'small'

+can cover LB
+faster and more agile than Lovren and Matip
+high potential and he would improve massively under Klopp and next to VvD

Aké would be an interesting choice but he is not a 'no brainer'. Probably wouldn't come cheap and i'm pretty sure Chelsea have still something to say about his future (matching right/return clause/sell on clause).
I've mentioned Romagnoli before. I'm not sure AC Milan would sell at all but if they did I could imagine him being around the same price Ake would be if sold. Maybe even cheaper. And the Italian is a captain, full international, probably as good as Lovren/Matip and still a tall player. I think Ake simply gets mentioned so much because of familiarity. If he'd been a Roma youth player ended up at Genoa instead of Chelsea and Bournemouth we probably wouldn't even recognise his name based on ability and performance.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I doubt we'll go for another versatile player like that. On paper it sounds nice, but I don't think Ake at LB or CB brings improvement. I like the kid, but more progress is needed. With the lack of a proper lefty on the left in front of Robbo, suddenly having to play Ake (who's now more of a CB) instead of Robbo if he's missing, it changes completely how we have to attack. I could understand when Rafa in more of a lack of money and more of an organized system wanted Heinze (a solid, experienced LCB/LB), but I doubt we'll do it here now. We might tolerate it on one side like with Gomez (and that's also probably short-term before we finally have 4 proper senior full backs), but with our full back play, how much they're involved, I don't think Klopp would go in next season with Gomez (let's not forget how well he's played at CB this season, but I agree that we have to see if there's another quality CB option out there that's better than Lovren/Matip) and Ake as our full back backups.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
With Solanke gone, Sturridge in the winter of his career, and Origi, well stalled, it looks to me that we'll be getting a striker in the summer. Hopefully one with established credibility. I'll have to leave it to you guys to moot who that should or might be, but there is an obvious gap in the squad here.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
With Solanke gone, Sturridge in the winter of his career, and Origi, well stalled, it looks to me that we'll be getting a striker in the summer. Hopefully one with a established credibility. I'll have to leave it to you guys to moot who that should or might be, but there is an obvious gap in the squad here.
I think from next season Brewster will be stepping into Solanke's role as young, development striker to mostly come off the bench. But I think we do have scope to bring in a more senior player who can rotate with certainly Firmino and ideally at least one other member of the regular front 3... I can see why Werner is the name being mentioned regularly given that he could play either up front or (afaik) in Mane's role on the left of the attack, while seeming to have the quality to push for a starting spot. On the whole I could live with that scenario.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Pretty sure we'll bring in another attacker but the question about what type of depends on Klopps plan with Salah playing as the CF (not my cup of tea).

If he sees Salah as a CF in the future then we might be looking for another right winger like Hirving Lozano.

RedForever2014

It's notable that the three current absentees from the squad are centre backs, two of whom are injured and the playing centre back is also prone to injury.

We can't go into next season with the same situation, Gomez will never be a reliable centre back in that sense.

We need to sign De Ligt, using VVD as the draw, and rotate him with Gomez.

A mostly Dutch international defence of Hoever De Ligt and VVD in a few years time would certainly be exciting.

They'd 'de light' us, there'd be no holes in the 'dike', and any attacks that get through would be 'hoovered' up.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
We need a new CB in next summer to replace one of Matip or Lovren. I'm not concerned about Gomez long term from this leg break. Breaks are complicated as everyone heals differently, but breaks do heal well, and are not susceptible to recurrence like joint injuries are (which of course Gomez has suffered in the past).

But thinking about what I'd like to see squad depth wise for the CB positions, it's got to be 4 fit and ready CBs. VVD would be the main in our case, with two good options rotating for the 2nd berth (Gomez and hopefully a new CB). Then Matip/Lovren is the 4th choice. Bit too soon for Ki Jana I feel, and I think we can rely on Fabinho, however he's creative and able to orchestrate the games from No.6 so that should only be a back up option.

No idea who could fill the spot of one of Matip or Lovren, should they leave. Ake an interesting one, but would cost a lot, and as covered earlier, Chelsea probably have some option clause. Signing one of the top CBs would always be nice - but don't see us doing a another 50m+ CB.

Anyways, came in here to say the recent murmurings from Keita and Mane, although probably a result of journalists questions, see his name being mentioned once again. What's not to like at the prospect of Werner joining. I'd be happy to see him replace Sturridge in the squad.

Also saw that Icardi has been stripped of his captaincy at Inter. He seems to have a bit of history with falling out with people and being in the news for the wrong reasons - he's very skillful and might be another option that will attract the interest of the usual suspects in the PL, Spain, Italy and Germany. Werner over Icardi for me. He's younger, and fits the style of play better - if we are in the hunt for a striker. All down to Brewster?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think I read somewhere saying the club is not going to go out and find any big money move this summer. I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Limiescouse

Why not? He is not falling apart like Sturridge did. He just keeps getting wacked. Carra suffered a season ending knee injury in 2001-02 and then lost half a season to a broken leg in 03-04, because he wsa just unlucky. It did not make him injury prone or unreliable.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Why not? He is not falling apart like Sturridge did. He just keeps getting wacked. Carra suffered a season ending knee injury in 2001-02 and then lost half a season to a broken leg in 03-04, because he wsa just unlucky. It did not make him injury prone or unreliable.
I agree with you but if you are looking for similarities to Sturridge, you can point to setbacks in recovery from all his niggles (or...borken legs, depending on what counts as a niggle lol) so he stays out longer than is usually forecast. But that seems overly harsh.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I agree with you but if you are looking for similarities to Sturridge, you can point to setbacks in recovery from all his niggles (or...borken legs, depending on what counts as a niggle lol) so he stays out longer than is usually forecast. But that seems overly harsh.
Some of those forecasts are probably down to Klopp's 'over enthusiasm' for letting the fans know players will be back soon.

Limiescouse

He has had one "set-back" to one injury (a result of a bad tackle), and that has, allegedly, not even extended his absence. It has only pushed it out side of the window that was stated by non-club sources.

Red over the water

It's notable that the three current absentees from the squad are centre backs, two of whom are injured and the playing centre back is also prone to injury.

We can't go into next season with the same situation, Gomez will never be a reliable centre back in that sense.

We need to sign De Ligt, using VVD as the draw, and rotate him with Gomez.

A mostly Dutch international defence of Hoever De Ligt and VVD in a few years time would certainly be exciting.

They'd 'de light' us, there'd be no holes in the 'dike', and any attacks that get through would be 'hoovered' up.
I'd be Edam up with that!

* I have dyslexia

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
He has had one "set-back" to one injury (a result of a bad tackle), and that has, allegedly, not even extended his absence. It has only pushed it out side of the window that was stated by non-club sources.
I think he had setbacks with recovery from his knee injury in the past (turned into an achilles problem I think?). He had a lingering ankle problem that turned into ankle surgery after coming back and playing a game before the world cup (maybe not related but probably?)

Like I said, it was harsh, but he's had a couple of big injuries that haven't been smooth sailing getting fit again from. I'm not worried about Gomez at all, he came back and earned a starting spot beside VVD at the beginning of the season, and whenever he's back, I expect him to be in the starting 11 again. But anytime you have a 'minor surgery' on an injury well into your recovery, however you or the club want to spin it, it's a set back, even if it puts you back on track of original recovery time.

Not sure why I'm even arguing with you about it though, as I also don't think he's anything like Sturridge. I just had the impression that he struggles after big injuries to follow a straight line back to fitness, and after googling 'Joe Gomez injuries' and reading for 5 minutes, I can't tell if my impression is correct or not.

MW2833

I think I read somewhere saying the club is not going to go out and find any big money move this summer. I wouldn't mind it one bit.
Why not? I think a replacement for Lovren/Matip will cost quite a bit of money and I also think we will make an attacking signing and a LB signing this Summer.

Red over the water

I wonder if we might just sign Lloyd Kelly and then see how the defensive permutations pan out? He would be second choice left back and fifth choice centre back (assuming the other four stay). However, if injuries persist in the cb department he moves up the list. Likewise, he moves up the list if he grows as a player and emerges like Gomez has done. It might not be a terrible idea, since we have decent defensive options as is. The main problem as I see it is cover for left back and a spate of injuries at centre back. Lloyd Kelly could be a cheapish option to cover both bases.

We should be in for a new striker, assuming Sturridge and Origi leave. Brewster is highly rated and gets the position of youngster who can come in and get some minutes here and there. But we need someone good, really good, in the space between the main front three and Brewster. I can't see past Timo Werner and hope we sign him. He can play on the left or through the middle, is fast, direct, scores goals, and could rotate with the current front three or, in a very attacking set up, Klopp might play all four.

We might only need to sign two players! Kelly and Werner.

Bring back Grujic, who is doing well for Berlin.
Bring back Wilson, who is doing well for Derby.

If Mignolet wants to stay he can, but if he wants to move on to play more, good luck to him. At that point we need to sign an experienced no.2 as the younger options we have for goalkeeper might not be ready to be called on just yet.

Last edited:

MW2833

I think one of Lovren or Matip will move on this Summer.
We could get Kelly, but in a scenario of Gomez getting injured, I wouldn't want to see him playing in a game like against Bayern Munich, at least until he has proven himself in the PL.
I would rather sign a better defender, even if he does cost a lot of money. Not sure who though. De Ligt does look good, but the Dutch league is a lot easier than the PL.
Then again look how our last signing from Ajax turned out to be

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think one of Lovren or Matip will move on this Summer.
We could get Kelly, but in a scenario of Gomez getting injured, I wouldn't want to see him playing in a game like against Bayern Munich, at least until he has proven himself in the PL.
I would rather sign a better defender, even if he does cost a lot of money. Not sure who though. De Ligt does look good, but the Dutch league is a lot easier than the PL.
Then again look how our last signing from Ajax turned out to be
The whole “the Dutch league is wank” arguement is just rubbish, yes its an inferior league but it will produce quality players, just like some of our English lower league clubs develop quality players.

Frenkie de Jong is fucking lovely, he plays for Ajax and is now off to Barca.

If they are good enough who cares where they come from. Its not as though we couldn’t have watched De Ligt in internationals either.