• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Why not? I think a replacement for Lovren/Matip will cost quite a bit of money and I also think we will make an attacking signing and a LB signing this Summer.
Backups, we are signing backups. Unless FSG found some goldmine or oilfield somewhere near Boston, I don’t think they will be telling the recruitment boys to go crazy in the summer splashing them spondoolies....

MW2833

Backups, we are signing backups. Unless FSG found some goldmine or oilfield somewhere near Boston, I don’t think they will be telling the recruitment boys to go crazy in the summer splashing them spondoolies....
Backups can be very good as well.
Just look at Manchester City: They have Bernardo and Mahrez as their winger backups whereas we have Shaqiri and Keira (out of their natural position). Admittedly, their backup for defense isn't as good, but they have been quite lucky with injuries in the CB spot.
Due to the having good backups, they are challenging for four titles.
Lovren and Matip, if they didn't have their injury problems, would be amazing backups. I think Gomez is a brilliant young player but sadly he just cannot be relied upon to always stay fit, especially as his recent record suggests.
If Van Dijk were to get injured what would we do?
I think we need one very good backup, and one of Lovren and Matip can stay.

As for the money, why not reinvest some of that record breaking profit we made?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Just look at Manchester City:
(...)
I didn't say backup should not be a very good player, I just said we are not going to spend crazy money like the last summer. Why? Because as I highlighted in your post - we are not them.

We already have I am afraid, those record breaking profit was booked before the last summer spending.

Limiescouse

Just look at Manchester City: They have Bernardo and Mahrez as their winger backups whereas we have Shaqiri and Keira (out of their natural position). Admittedly, their backup for defense isn't as good, but they have been quite lucky with injuries in the CB spot.
Neither Bernardo nor Mahrez were bought as back ups, but as expensive players to challenge the existing players. Bernardo has risen to that challenge to such a degree that now KdB is back, it is the Spanish Silva whos spot is most at risk. This was not the stature of player that I think Eddie was suggesting will be our target.

C

Caradoc

Lovren and Matip, if they didn't have their injury problems, would be amazing backups. I think Gomez is a brilliant young player but sadly he just cannot be relied upon to always stay fit, especially as his recent record suggests.
If Van Dijk were to get injured what would we do?
I think we need one very good backup, and one of Lovren and Matip can stay.

Really not sure why you are arguing the toss with eddie. Its clear enough what he’s saying and I think its a pretty sensible viewpoint and highly likely to be correct. You might see things differently but that doesn’t make eddie wrong. :)

Klopp has always been pretty clear that if the ‘right player’ is available ‘at the right price’ they’ll take a closer look at the situation and I don’t think that’s going to change.

But I also think that with the current strength of our match day squad his priority is going to be looking at replacing players pushing to leave as and when that happens or those whose time is up. And that doesn’t necessarily mean spending big.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
The general consensus seems to be that Lallana, Sturridge and Origi should all be shown the door so Wilson and Brewster won't be enough cover. Werner or similar would obviously be a lift in quality and/or reliability. There are alot of games in a season, particularly if you get through a few rounds of the cups (for a change!), so there is good reason to aim for a first teamer rather than simply thinking of rotation.
However, the comments from JK rather leads me to think that Lallana will stay (personally think that's a terrible idea) or that the youngsters are going to be enough, which is a huge risk. Interesting window coming up!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Joel Matip is a great 4th choice CB on ability and despite fluctuations in form I don't have many problems with him as a player. However he does seem to have availability issues due to injuries and his contract runs out at the end of next season.

We've got 3 choices with him really;

1; Sell him this summer at 27 to someone wanting him as their starting CB (I imagine there would be quite a few half decent sides interested in this). I think he would fetch reasonable money still at 27/28 depending on how late in the window it happened.

2; Don't sell him, keep him for depth, but ignore his contract situation. We probably can, more than ever in our past, handle losing a high profile player on a free. But it's still lost money to be avoided if possible.

3; Extend his contract and keep him for as long as it makes good sporting sense. Seems like the most logical decision from a football point of view but he's 4th choice and his current contract was one he signed as a Schalke starter moving on a free. Is it a high wage for a squad player already? Will he sign an extension that doesn't improve on the current terms?

I think we will see Matip leave for reasonable money this summer to a decent foreign team or a mid table Prem team. I think it will be seized as an opportunity to further improve at the back with Gomez and Lovren dropping from 2nd and 3rd choices to 3rd and 4th choices.

The following summer I think we will see the same decision making happen over Lovren who will be about 31. By then Hoever may be ready to be our 4th choice CB if the other 3 choices are top players though so not sure we'd need to buy a CB if Lovren were to leave in 18 months.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Why would Gomez drop to 3rd choice? He's the perfect fit for us and his performances have been excellent this season.

We'd struggle to improve on him without spending a ridiculous amount of money, and even then any improvement would likely be marginal.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Why would Gomez drop to 3rd choice? He's the perfect fit for us and his performances have been excellent this season.

We'd struggle to improve on him without spending a ridiculous amount of money, and even then any improvement would likely be marginal.
Even a semi decent CB these days is likely to cost at least 35 million especially as Klopp prefers to bring in younger players (which is obviously the intelligent choice) and that's where the premium appears to be now. There isn't actually much point in bringing in a rubbish/half decent CB to purely be cover at 35 million if you can get the best around to at least compete with Gomez for a starting spot for 25 million more at absolute maximum (rumoured price for De Ligt) and possibly a lot less extra. Till something changes Gomez plays some of his games at RB. The new CB might play some of his games elsewhere. Gomez, new CB and (if we had appropriate quality cover) VvD should all be rested and rotated to keep them at maximum performance levels otherwise they'll eventually be run into the ground and become susceptible to soft tissue injuries. Finally, although he may not be "injury prone" exactly, Gomez seems to miss significant game time every season. So even if he's "2nd" choice we'd need to bring in a CB as good or better than Lovren to be "3rd" choice as there is a high likelihood that they could end up playing significant game time. So you damn well don't tell that player they'll be behind Gomez in the pecking order. You tell them you want them to settle quickly, get up to speed as there's no reason they shouldn't be able to start for you. We need to get away from this mentality of 11 good players and everyone else cover. Whoever our third choice CB is should be as good as Gomez or Gomez himself.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We've already got away from that mentality.

We just don't have an unlimited pot of money.

And finding a player as good as Gomez is tricky, maybe I just rate him more than you. I've seen very few centre backs this season I'd potentially drop him for. Koulibaly is possibly the only realistic one, and even then there's a question as to whether the partnership with Van Dijk would be as balanced as VVD-Gomez. Laporte or T.Silva are the only others I'd think about, both of whom are unattainable and Silva is too old.

C

Caradoc

Koulibaly is an absolute beast of a player but I still have nagging doubts about his temperament.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Even a semi decent CB these days is likely to cost at least 35 million especially as Klopp prefers to bring in younger players (which is obviously the intelligent choice) and that's where the premium appears to be now. There isn't actually much point in bringing in a rubbish/half decent CB to purely be cover at 35 million if you can get the best around to at least compete with Gomez for a starting spot for 25 million more at absolute maximum (rumoured price for De Ligt) and possibly a lot less extra. Till something changes Gomez plays some of his games at RB. The new CB might play some of his games elsewhere. Gomez, new CB and (if we had appropriate quality cover) VvD should all be rested and rotated to keep them at maximum performance levels otherwise they'll eventually be run into the ground and become susceptible to soft tissue injuries. Finally, although he may not be "injury prone" exactly, Gomez seems to miss significant game time every season. So even if he's "2nd" choice we'd need to bring in a CB as good or better than Lovren to be "3rd" choice as there is a high likelihood that they could end up playing significant game time. So you damn well don't tell that player they'll be behind Gomez in the pecking order. You tell them you want them to settle quickly, get up to speed as there's no reason they shouldn't be able to start for you. We need to get away from this mentality of 11 good players and everyone else cover. Whoever our third choice CB is should be as good as Gomez or Gomez himself.
My thoughts on the centre back position is a little different.

I don’t think we need to spend big in this position, and we certainly shouldn’t be rewarding Gomez’s authority and progress in that position by fucking him off for a shiny new toy.

Van Dijk and Gomez have shown that they are the best defensive pair in the league. But obviously they can’t play every game.

I’d be having a think about playing the bus parker’s, and the perennial problem of how the break these teams down. In these games, I would be using Fabinho as a centre back, although stationed almost high as he normally would be in midfield. This gets us an extra midfielder in the side when we need it, and gets one of the first two a rest. People will cry, ‘but we need Fabinho in midfield’, which is true, but against those side he’d play as a 90% midfielder anyway. He’d only be a traditional centre back on set plays and on the rare occasions we need to hold a defensive shape.

In addition to this I’d be looking at a reliable deputy who can step in for cover when necessary. They don’t necessary have to be as good as Lovren and Matip, but they can’t be made of crisps like those two. Having players of the quality of Dejan and Joel as third/fourth choice is meaningless when they are continually unavailable.

Obviously I’d sell Matip and Lovren. And I think we’d get a tidy amount for the pair.

Beyond this, as fifth/sixth choice we can turn to Phillips and Hoever.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Just because we went out and found ourselves a £70m centre half last season doesn’t mean they grow on trees. Gomez to me is the closest to what Van Dijk is and if he continues to grow would make a very, very formidable pairing if they weren’t already. To drop Gomez to 3rd choice because someone decided to break his ankle is harsh. I would not trade this young man for anyone. His growth ceiling is extremely high, with great skills and ability to read games you be paying £100m for someone like him. Crazy to see people want to make Gomez a permanent sub.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member

Red over the water

I’m all over VVD and Gomez as the main pairing as we move forward. Gomez has come on leaps and bounds and is above Lovren and Matip in the pecking order, and will only get better and better.

Lovren and Matip are two very good options for a third and fourth choice, at least in terms of quality. But there is a fitness/availability issue, which is why one or both might be vulnerable to a sale. They may also want to play more regularly elsewhere.

But I’m not sure it’s quite at that point yet. Gomez was establishing himself as first choice partner to VVD but was then disrupted by injury. So arguably Lovren and Matip might see the way to the team as being a bit more open than most fans would see it for them, so it might need another season with all four at the club to work itself out a bit more definitively.

While that happens, I would sign Kelly to be the second choice left back and fifth choice center back. Cheaper option, can improve out of the spotlight with our excellent training, and then be ready to move up the pecking order as the Lovren/Matip situations work themselves out.

Part of me wants to sign Militao/De Ligt or that level of player, but I’m not ready to say they are better than Gomez, so I’d rather not splurge in that area of the team. I’ve said it a few times, as have others, but Werner would be the one I’d spend a few bob on this summer.

We won’t have the same sort of money to spend as last summer, but even with a usual sort of outlay, both Werner and Kelly are very doable. Don’t forget we’ve been piling up a bit of cash as the striker options are being cleared out - Ings fee to come this summer, Solanke fee just in, presumably Origi will depart too. Between the three of them it will go a long way to paying for Werner, and Sturridge’s wages off the books will help too, as he doesn’t offer enough to deserve a spot here any more.

Wilson and Grujic to return (two very good young, hungry squad options) to replace a couple of aging squad options e.g. Lallana and Milner, AOC to find his groove again, and all of a sudden, we have much more realistic, usable depth, for a modest outlay.

Last edited:

The Infamous

Actually scrap Werner he is really one dimensional and judging by his compilation this season he’s still a poor mans Son. Isn’t there any other striker winger hybrids maybe Nicolas Pepe...

Red over the water

I’m not fully abreast of the various striker options, but I am confident in our recruitment team, so if they sign someone I’m all for it. As an armchair fan I’ve seen Werner and he is fast, direct, scores goals, and can play through the middle or off the left. He’s not a tricky sort of player, but I like what I see. He covers a couple of positions and can swap in with the current front three to keep the level high when one is having a breather. Plenty of games for 4>3 over the course of a season, and arguably a very attacking set up could accommodate all four at the same time on occasion.

I know some others are all over Icardi, but I’ve seen less of him than Werner, and he seems mad as a box of frogs.

The bottom line for me is we need a quality fourth striker, then Brewster to start to get a few minutes here and there.

Edit: cheers for the options above

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I'm not convinced about Werner playing in the same team as Salah, it's perhaps too unbalanced. His whole game is about running in behind, from what I've seen he doesn't have the quality in deeper areas or when the opposition are sat back. Can we afford to have two players on the shoulder at all times? Would it impact Salah's game?

He's very similar in style to Brewster, I know who I'd rather get a chance.

Another wide player with 1v1 ability who can play on either flank could be the trick, allow Salah to play CF if no Firmino or Brewster. Think Zaha or Anderson in our league. Doesn't have to be them, just that type.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I'm not convinced about Werner playing in the same team as Salah, it's perhaps too unbalanced. His whole game is about running in behind, from what I've seen he doesn't have the quality in deeper areas or when the opposition are sat back. Can we afford to have two players on the shoulder at all times? Would it impact Salah's game?

He's very similar in style to Brewster, I know who I'd rather get a chance.

Another wide player with 1v1 ability who can play on either flank could be the trick, allow Salah to play CF if no Firmino or Brewster. Think Zaha or Anderson in our league. Doesn't have to be them, just that type.
I wonder how much it would take to prise Anderson away from the Hammers. Think he'd be a fantastic addition. Also Son.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
If there is a chance to bring in another midfielder...

Christian Eriksen (27 today) has one year left on his contract in the summer. What would be a realistic prize to buy him?

C

Caradoc

I’d go for Werner but I’m not convinced that Klopp will.

Anderson would he a very attractive option but if we were going to go in for him I would have thought that Klopp would have shown an interest before the lad went to WHU.

Klopp has been very public about his admiration for Zaha as a player but he did the same with Pulisic and look where he ended up.

Whoever Klopp goes after is already on his ipad but not yet featuring heavily on this forum (if at all). That would be my best guess!

GermanRed

I’d go for Werner but I’m not convinced that Klopp will.

Anderson would he a very attractive option but if we were going to go in for him I would have thought that Klopp would have shown an interest before the lad went to WHU.

Klopp has been very public about his admiration for Zaha as a player but he did the same with Pulisic and look where he ended up.

Whoever Klopp goes after is already on his ipad but not yet featuring heavily on this forum (if at all). That would be my best guess!
Then i can stop dreaming about Christian Eriksen because this week Klopp said 'surely one of the best 3 midfielders in the league'

But i can't remember him ever talking about Timo Werner.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
If there is a chance to bring in another midfielder...

Christian Eriksen (27 today) has one year left on his contract in the summer. What would be a realistic prize to buy him?
Spurs don't do realistic prices to English clubs as they're tight fuckers with other clubs and their own players,isn't Eriksen being paid well under £100k pw,incredible for that kind of player.

GermanRed

Spurs don't do realistic prices to English clubs as they're tight fuckers with other clubs and their own players,isn't Eriksen being paid well under £100k pw,incredible for that kind of player.
well under £100k???

If Eriksen needs money he should sit out his contract and then sign for Juventus on a free. If they are able to pay Ramsey £400k a week then Eriksen deserves £650k a week.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We've already got away from that mentality.

We just don't have an unlimited pot of money.

And finding a player as good as Gomez is tricky, maybe I just rate him more than you. I've seen very few centre backs this season I'd potentially drop him for. Koulibaly is possibly the only realistic one, and even then there's a question as to whether the partnership with Van Dijk would be as balanced as VVD-Gomez. Laporte or T.Silva are the only others I'd think about, both of whom are unattainable and Silva is too old.
Clearly we haven't got rid of that mentality as there's now 3 responses all basically saying don't sign a starting quality CB.

Gomez is great. I really love the lad. But he's started 12 games at CB this season. We've had someone other than Gomez or VvD starting at CB 24 times this season. And thats with VvD starting 32 so far and not being rested as much as he should. Theres room for a starting quality CB no matter how good Gomez is. He's missed significant game time each season so far for different reasons. We can't guarantee that will change. So we either stick with Lovren and Matip next season (and lose Matip on a free the following summer or extend his contract which will probably pay far higher than he deserves) or sell Matip and buy someone. I don't like Mascots idea of using Fabinho there either as I think he should be starting CM whenever possible. He's creative and defensive and helps the side tick. What would you do? I'd sign someone like Tah, giving him the impression there's a starting role up for grabs if he settles in and works hard to earn it. If Gomez stays fit, works hard and plays well no doubt he'll play too.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Tah isn't as good as Gomez.

Also, you're putting words in other's mouths. This mentality you're on about usually manifests itself in you wanting us to spend obscene amounts of money on players that aren't worth it, such as your insistence that we were wrong not to pay £92 million for Lemar. This is no different. We don't need to spend £60 million plus to upgrade our CB situation and even if we do I believe we will be lucky to find a player as good as Gomez.

Last edited: