• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I think Oxlade gets a chance to prove he can provide that for the team.
I'm sure Ox and Keita have goals in them but they will never be as good as Eriksen or David Silva. Completely different type of midfielders of course. We don't have a real playmaker. We lack creativity.

C

Caradoc

I'm sure Ox and Keita have goals in them but they will never be as good as Eriksen or David Silva. Completely different type of midfielders of course. We don't have a real playmaker. We lack creativity.

I think we tend to take a very direct approach, one that in many ways gets around the need for a playmaker. In fact, a playmaker may actually be an impediment to us playing our natural game.

I wouldn’t mind taking Eriksen because unlike Coutinho I think he is the real deal and offers a lot more. But the question would be, based on our current approach, where and how Klopp would fit him in.

I don’t think Eriksen would just walk into our side and seamlessly fit in. Klopp would have to accommodate him in some way or another either by changing our current approach or adding a new playing option. Other than that, bring him in because he’s a class act.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Didn't knew that running into the opponents with the ball most of the time makes a playmaker nowadays.
I don't really care what counts as a playmaker and what doesn't. We don't struggle to create chances. With Keita still to find form and Chamberlain to return it's not a problem at all.

Fabinho acts like a playmaker. The full backs act like playmakers. Firmino acts like a playmaker.

We have failed to score in 1 league game out of 26 and we apparently lack creativity. Nonsense. We've scored more than Spurs btw.

Red Spud

I'm a big fan of Eriksen but can see him going abroad, really don't think Levy wouldn't sell him to an English club.

GermanRed

I don't really care what counts as a playmaker and what doesn't. We don't struggle to create chances. With Keita still to find form and Chamberlain to return it's not a problem at all.

Fabinho acts like a playmaker. The full backs act like playmakers. Firmino acts like a playmaker.

We have failed to score in 1 league game out of 26 and we apparently lack creativity. Nonsense. We've scored more than Spurs btw.
We score goals because we have an outstanding Front3. We scored more goals than Spurs because we have three goalgetters (who missed very few games this season) and they have just two who both missed part of the season with injuries and were away in Asia.

I'm talking about our #8 midfielders and you start comparing them with Firmino, Fabinho and the FullBacks - that's nonsense.

Eriksen would easily get in our team not only because of his numbers. He is able to break down deep defending teams and we are still struggling against them - as we could see against Leicester and West Ham.

Keita has one good game at home vs. Bournemouth - a team that will never park the bus (which means they are playing into our hands) - and everybody goes crazy. Doesn't convince me a bit.

C

Caradoc

We score goals because we have an outstanding Front3. We scored more goals than Spurs because we have three goalgetters (who missed very few games this season) and they have just two who both missed part of the season with injuries and were away in Asia.

I'm talking about our #8 midfielders and you start comparing them with Firmino, Fabinho and the FullBacks - that's nonsense.

Eriksen would easily get in our team not only because of his numbers. He is able to break down deep defending teams and we are still struggling against them - as we could see against Leicester and West Ham.

Keita has one good game at home vs. Bournemouth - a team that will never park the bus (which means they are playing into our hands) - and everybody goes crazy. Doesn't convince me a bit.

Whose going crazy about Keita? But the pass to Firmino leading to Salah’s goal, shows that he has a lot to offer when it comes to opening up, cutting through and getting behind defences.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

The problems against Leicester and West Ham were not because we didnt have a 'playmaker'. Injuries and illness along with poor weather conditions created the difficulties there. Had the ref given those decisions he should have done, we would have won against Leicester at a canter.

If we were to sign Eriksen, it wouldnt be because he is a 'playmaker'. It would be because he is a fantastic talent.

GermanRed

Eriksen and even a 33 year old David Silva would easily get into our midfield. Can't see our midfielders reach their level in the long term tbh. We are talking about different typ of midfielders of course.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think we need to know what Klopp is planning moving forwards with regards to formation.

A lot don't seem to like the 4-2-3-1 and want us to go back to 4-3-3. My opinion is Bournemouth played into our hands with that formation and I don't think 4-3-3 has been working as well this season. Maybe because we've mostly turned to it against the big sides?

But Klopp has seemed to be going to 4-2-3-1 more and more frequently as the season progresses.

Players I think (obviously may be wrong) that will leave this summer;

Mignolet, Karius, Matip (only 12 months left on deal), Moreno, Clyne, Milner (to Leeds as an emotional return we will let happen for good service), Sturridge, Origi and Ings.

Not all of those would need replacing.

Whether it's 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or an even mix of the two determines what we need to bring in for midfield and up top but I think keeper and defence is the same needs regardless of formation.

Keeper we just need a backup, maybe someone older who doesn't mind that. In my opinion they need to play the same style as Alisson. Ones I can think of that could be available are Reina, Ochoa, Muslera and Vorm. Not particularly exciting recruit but shouldn't cost much either.

Defence is difficult. Could just go cheaper, younger, up and coming cover player or from a lesser league. This Kelly lad gets mentioned a bit like that. Someone who covers LB and CB could fill all needs as we could, in theory, cope at RB with what we have. I think I'd prefer to bring in a solid enough young CB to at least overtake Lovren as 3rd choice as I believe our 3rd choice would play a lot and needs to be good. Think I'd be picking from Tah, Milenkovic or Lascelles with my limited knowledge. As well I'd like a full back who can play both sides. There's a few names I don't know much about that seem able to play both sides like Achraf Hakimi, Henrichs, Klostermann (option as cover at CB too?) or Calabria. Not sure on fit as Klopp needs a wing back whipping crosses and threading through balls in but as defensively solid as a traditional full back. Any one any opinions on these?

In central midfield I think in 4-3-3 we would have Fabinho/Henderson at 6, Keita/Wijnaldum at 8 but for the hybrid 8/10 it's Ox with cover from Gini and Keita. Maybe Shaqiri or Wilson could be played in that role? Or bring someone in like Eriksen? If Rabiot wanted to come I'd sign him and make the balance work. With Fabinho, Henderson, Keita and Gini I don't think there's room for another CM in the 4-2-3-1 though.

In attack as a front 3 in 4-3-3 it's Salah-Firmino-Mane currently looking at being backed up by Shaqiri-Brewster-Wilson and I think it would be important to bring in a top line player who could play central or on the left.

If it's 4-2-3-1 it shapes up more as Salah up top with Firmino feeding him from number 10 and Mane on one wing. Shaqiri, Ox and Wilson would then be competing to start on the other wing from Mane and offering cover across the 3, especially to Firmino who (along with Brewster) would be offering cover to Salah. In this formation I think it's more important to have a real good attacking wide player more like another Mane as they wouldn't really be needed as much in CF if at all. With Mane, Shaqiri and Ox options on the right maybe it should be a left winger?

So maybe looking at a left winger who can play a bit like Mane and Salah who can play CF and/or right? Obviously you have fantasy targets like Griezmann or Mbappe that are probably unrealistic, or existing links like Werner or Dembele (who is looking less realistic now) or choices from left field like El Shaarawy or Lozano.

Keeping it realistic I think my choices would be Reina, Tah, Achraf Hakimi, Rabiot if available if not no worries and Werner.

Sorry for long post.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Eriksen and even a 33 year old David Silva would easily get into our midfield. Can't see our midfielders reach their level in the long term tbh. We are talking about different typ of midfielders of course.
Easily? Eriksen isn't a midfielder he'd be competing with Bobby, Mo or Sadio.. I'd argue he is as good as at a push..

You are comparing apples and oranges.

C

Caradoc

Eriksen would be a very useful addition to our squad but Klopp would have to find a way to accommodate him because as things stand, for him to be an advanced playmaker, our play would need to go via him and that’s just not the way we’re set up to play right now. It would be far more straightforward to utilise Fabinho as a deep lying playmaker.

If Eriksen came to Anfield he would have to accept that, initially at least, he was a key part of a tactical playing ‘option’ that might mean him spending more time than he is currently accustomed to on the bench. I can’t see him agreeing to that.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Not sure why we are discussing Erickson.

Lovely footballer, fantastic to watch.

But he ain’t coming here..... so many reasons why, not least , what we spend on him could be better spent elsewhere.

Amazing footballer though, you can’t help but appreciate what he brings to a game, so it’s easy to want him here, but it’s about as likely as us poaching Lionel messi

GermanRed

Easily? Eriksen isn't a midfielder he'd be competing with Bobby, Mo or Sadio.. I'd argue he is as good as at a push..

You are comparing apples and oranges.
In a 4-3-3 Eriksen would be playing as a #8. In a 4-2-3-1 he would be playing as the #10 and then maybe competing with Bobby.

Not a midfielder??? Let's see what Klopp said earlier this week: 'Eriksen... surely one of the best 3 midfielders in the league'

RedSeven

On the one road
Not sure why we are discussing Erickson.

Lovely footballer, fantastic to watch.

But he ain’t coming here..... so many reasons why, not least , what we spend on him could be better spent elsewhere.

Amazing footballer though, you can’t help but appreciate what he brings to a game, so it’s easy to want him here, but it’s about as likely as us poaching Lionel messi
You may be right but prior to going to spurs it was said we were his preferred destination. We had coutinho so didn't require his services at the time.

GermanRed

You may be right but prior to going to spurs it was said we were his preferred destination. We had coutinho so didn't require his services at the time.
+ Klopp wanted to bring him to Dortmund but they ended up with Mkhytarian.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
In a 4-3-3 Eriksen would be playing as a #8. In a 4-2-3-1 he would be playing as the #10 and then maybe competing with Bobby.

Not a midfielder??? Let's see what Klopp said earlier this week: 'Eriksen... surely one of the best 3 midfielders in the league'
So as I said he is against Keita and Oxlade for the "no.8 slot" and against Bobby/Mane for the no.10.

He'd not be an automatic starter here.

Limiescouse

The biggest fallacy in footballing fandom is that one single player can be asked to "breakdown" a defensive side. We have played all season against teams who have committed to making it hard for us to create. Despite that we have scored more goals than everyone bar City, and done so while leaving a ton of chances on the table as well (i.e. it isnt just because our forwards are clinical). As @ILLOK says, we have no problem creating chances, even when denying us that is our opponents' primary objective.

What you are looking for in your cry for a "playmaker" is due to a perceived deficit in an aesthetic, not a functional component. That is fine, no one can deny that if its your personal wish, but you should then acknowledge it is just a personal whim of yours, not something the team needs.

The best Utd team I have seen was the one led by the Rooney, Ronnie, Tevez triumvirate that pipped us to the title. Their midfield that year consisted of Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher and one from an out of retirement Scholes, a geriatric Giggs or fatty Anderson. The contemporary attitude of Utd fans was that it was most agricultural and uninspiring midfield they had ever had and was a period where every window the fans were in tears demanding a proper play maker be brought in. It was not needed.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I'm not being glib when asking this, but did you actually watch the game? That is exactly how Bournemouth set up. Howe even made reference to it after the game.

We have not struggled at all against 'park the bus' sides this season. The key for us has been making better use of the wide areas, in particular from the full backs. That was a clear deficiency in our attacking play that has been remedied, we didn't have those patterns of play last season. There are more practical and effective ways of breaking teams down on a regular basis than just hoping your assigned 'playmaker' can produce something.

Just to clarify, Eriksen is an excellent player who probably would improve our midfield, he's just not a necessity and saying we lack creativity is demonstrably incorrect. We have more than enough to compete with the best.

Sweeting

Eriksen is undoubtedly talented and has improved immedsely since moving to Tottenham but I still see him as someone who flatters to decieve a little bit.

From memory there was a turning point for him where the media went from referring to him as 'a lovely player' to 'world class' which happened around the time he destroyed Ireland whilst playing for Denmark. I think he has been largely good for Spurs but it is his international performances that have really excited people and frankly that is playibg a lower standard of football.

I don't see him as a player capable of pressing from central midfield or holding a position so for us he would have to play wide. I'm not dropping our front three for someone so slow to play wide...

santana

Mesut Ozi !
liverpool got the deadly trio firmino salah and mane so liverpool can smash any team but ozil can add more power with one magical pass and you do not need with him more than sturridge or origi to kill the match .