• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
How good is Militao? He got more rave reviews for his performance against Roma from Italy-based journalists I follow on Twitter. Seems like someone who could be a genuine option for Liverpool (on multiple levels) from what I've heard.

C

Caradoc

Clearly we haven't got rid of that mentality as there's now 3 responses all basically saying don't sign a starting quality CB.

Gomez is great. I really love the lad. But he's started 12 games at CB this season. We've had someone other than Gomez or VvD starting at CB 24 times this season. And thats with VvD starting 32 so far and not being rested as much as he should. Theres room for a starting quality CB no matter how good Gomez is. He's missed significant game time each season so far for different reasons. We can't guarantee that will change. So we either stick with Lovren and Matip next season (and lose Matip on a free the following summer or extend his contract which will probably pay far higher than he deserves) or sell Matip and buy someone. I don't like Mascots idea of using Fabinho there either as I think he should be starting CM whenever possible. He's creative and defensive and helps the side tick. What would you do? I'd sign someone like Tah, giving him the impression there's a starting role up for grabs if he settles in and works hard to earn it. If Gomez stays fit, works hard and plays well no doubt he'll play too.

The point is that this is just a forum where we express our opinions and preferences and try to second guess what Klopp will do. That’s all this is. There’s neither a point nor a need in getting serious about what is posted here. If something needs doing Klopp will deal with it his way whether it meets with the approval of this forum or not. I think what I’m trying to say is ‘chill’ man. If Klopp does the ‘wrong thing’ then that’s the time to get concerned. That said I’m not aware that he’s made too many ‘bad’ decisions so far since he’s been at Anfield! :well done:

Oh and as much as it pains me to say it ILLOK is right i.e. about Gomez. ;-)

LFCFFC

If there is a chance to bring in another midfielder...

Christian Eriksen (27 today) has one year left on his contract in the summer. What would be a realistic prize to buy him?
Would love him at Anfield...but it's probably not realistic.

We did have Fekir all but signed, so I guess Klopp may still see AM as an area to be reinforced. It probably depends on Ox and Bobby.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Tah isn't as good as Gomez.

Also, you're putting words in other's mouths. This mentality you're on about usually manifests itself in you wanting us to spend obscene amounts of money on players that aren't worth it, such as your insistence that we were wrong not to pay £92 million for Lemar. This is no different. We don't need to spend £60 million plus to upgrade our CB situation and even if we do I believe we will be lucky to find a player as good as Gomez.
Now who is putting words in mouths? I actually expressly said I think even a half decent, young CB (ie bought to replace Matip as cover only) would probably cost around £35 million. I also listed the expected price of the most expensive option (De Ligt) as £60 million. I stated most would be less than that. So no I'm not asking us to go spend over £60 million. It is however my opinion that Matip won't earn a pay increase, probably won't extend his contract without one and therefore we will be selling him this summer or losing him for free next summer. My choice out of the options would be to sell this summer and buy an upgrade. Tah for me seems to be a player who has all the required skills and physical features Klopp would require at CB whilst also, currently, being a little under the radar despite performing solidly this season and impressing. He's only my pick though. Do you disagree with the need to sell Matip? Would you keep him and not sign a CB at all? Let him go and bring in a cover only option? What would be your solution?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Now who is putting words in mouths? I actually expressly said I think even a half decent, young CB (ie bought to replace Matip as cover only) would probably cost around £35 million. I also listed the expected price of the most expensive option (De Ligt) as £60 million. I stated most would be less than that. So no I'm not asking us to go spend over £60 million. It is however my opinion that Matip won't earn a pay increase, probably won't extend his contract without one and therefore we will be selling him this summer or losing him for free next summer. My choice out of the options would be to sell this summer and buy an upgrade. Tah for me seems to be a player who has all the required skills and physical features Klopp would require at CB whilst also, currently, being a little under the radar despite performing solidly this season and impressing. He's only my pick though. Do you disagree with the need to sell Matip? Would you keep him and not sign a CB at all? Let him go and bring in a cover only option? What would be your solution?
I'd sell Matip and sign a better player. The player doesn't necessarily need to be better than Gomez, there's a significant difference between Gomez and Matip.

Tah would be a good signing but the discussion started with you wanting a starting level player to push Gomez to 3rd choice. On that basis, Tah is an odd player to pick. Do you actually think he's better than Gomez? If not, it would appear you agree with most of us on what you actually want us to do. If so, I find that surprising given what I've seen of Tah, especially live and looking at how many goals Leverkusen ship.

Apologies that I misread your post, it's just a massive wall of text on a mobile so I skimmed. I find it strange that you think we can go and buy a £35 million young defender and expect them to be better than Gomez, the odds on that would be very slim IMO. Gomez is pretty fucking great.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Clearly we haven't got rid of that mentality as there's now 3 responses all basically saying don't sign a starting quality CB.
I think with your usual self, you seemed to like to interpret posts very differently from it being presented. Posts after post I have read and the one I written said making Gomez as 3rd choice sub centre half after he had shown how good he is would have been a big error. Nobody in those responses had said not to sign any quality player that is more than willing to sit and wait for their turn.

Let's see how this get twisted....

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'd sell Matip and sign a better player. The player doesn't necessarily need to be better than Gomez, there's a significant difference between Gomez and Matip.

Tah would be a good signing but the discussion started with you wanting a starting level player to push Gomez to 3rd choice. On that basis, Tah is an odd player to pick. Do you actually think he's better than Gomez? If not, it would appear you agree with most of us on what you actually want us to do. If so, I find that surprising given what I've seen of Tah, especially live and looking at how many goals Leverkusen ship.

Apologies that I misread your post, it's just a massive wall of text on a mobile so I skimmed. I find it strange that you think we can go and buy a £35 million young defender and expect them to be better than Gomez, the odds on that would be very slim IMO. Gomez is pretty fucking great.
Yet again you're saying what I said wrong. To clarify;

"Even a semi decent CB these days is likely to cost at least 35 million especially as Klopp prefers to bring in younger players (which is obviously the intelligent choice) and that's where the premium appears to be now. There isn't actually much point in bringing in a rubbish/half decent CB to purely be cover at 35 million if you can get the best around to at least compete with Gomez for a starting spot for 25 million more at absolute maximum (rumoured price for De Ligt) and possibly a lot less extra."

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@lfc.eddie me twisting? The part of my post you seemed to respond to was this;

"Finally, although he may not be "injury prone" exactly, Gomez seems to miss significant game time every season. So even if he's "2nd" choice we'd need to bring in a CB as good or better than Lovren to be "3rd" choice as there is a high likelihood that they could end up playing significant game time. So you damn well don't tell that player they'll be behind Gomez in the pecking order. You tell them you want them to settle quickly, get up to speed as there's no reason they shouldn't be able to start for you. We need to get away from this mentality of 11 good players and everyone else cover. Whoever our third choice CB is should be as good as Gomez or Gomez himself."

Your response appeared to be:

Just because we went out and found ourselves a £70m centre half last season doesn’t mean they grow on trees. Gomez to me is the closest to what Van Dijk is and if he continues to grow would make a very, very formidable pairing if they weren’t already. To drop Gomez to 3rd choice because someone decided to break his ankle is harsh. I would not trade this young man for anyone. His growth ceiling is extremely high, with great skills and ability to read games you be paying £100m for someone like him. Crazy to see people want to make Gomez a permanent sub.
Where did I say make Gomez a permanent sub? Even with a new CB Gomez would still start a lot.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

Gomez is great. I really love the lad. But he's started 12 games at CB this season. We've had someone other than Gomez or VvD starting at CB 24 times this season. And thats with VvD starting 32 so far and not being rested as much as he should. Theres room for a starting quality CB no matter how good Gomez is. He's missed significant game time each season so far for different reasons. We can't guarantee that will change. So we either stick with Lovren and Matip next season (and lose Matip on a free the following summer or extend his contract which will probably pay far higher than he deserves) or sell Matip and buy someone. I don't like Mascots idea of using Fabinho there either as I think he should be starting CM whenever possible. He's creative and defensive and helps the side tick. What would you do? I'd sign someone like Tah, giving him the impression there's a starting role up for grabs if he settles in and works hard to earn it. If Gomez stays fit, works hard and plays well no doubt he'll play too.
I don’t think you have understood my point about Fabinho.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
@lfc.eddie me twisting? The part of my post you seemed to respond to was this;

"Finally, although he may not be "injury prone" exactly, Gomez seems to miss significant game time every season. So even if he's "2nd" choice we'd need to bring in a CB as good or better than Lovren to be "3rd" choice as there is a high likelihood that they could end up playing significant game time. So you damn well don't tell that player they'll be behind Gomez in the pecking order. You tell them you want them to settle quickly, get up to speed as there's no reason they shouldn't be able to start for you. We need to get away from this mentality of 11 good players and everyone else cover. Whoever our third choice CB is should be as good as Gomez or Gomez himself."

Your response appeared to be:

Where did I say make Gomez a permanent sub? Even with a new CB Gomez would still start a lot.
Nope.... My response to the discussion is to dismiss the idea that Gomez being a 3rd choice, which classify as permanent sub to me, Unless you have other ways of seeing being 3rd choice in 2 spots position.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Nope.... My response to the discussion is to dismiss the idea that Gomez being a 3rd choice, which classify as permanent sub to me, Unless you have other ways of seeing being 3rd choice in 2 spots position.
Yes. 50/60 odd games equals enough starts for 3 CBs. Especially as one misses significant game time so far and also plays another position too (whether you agree with Klopp or not he's still our 2nd choice RB for now).

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Yet again you're saying what I said wrong. To clarify;

"Even a semi decent CB these days is likely to cost at least 35 million especially as Klopp prefers to bring in younger players (which is obviously the intelligent choice) and that's where the premium appears to be now. There isn't actually much point in bringing in a rubbish/half decent CB to purely be cover at 35 million if you can get the best around to at least compete with Gomez for a starting spot for 25 million more at absolute maximum (rumoured price for De Ligt) and possibly a lot less extra."
That doesn't clarify much, your post is all over the place.

When did anybody advocate bringing in a rubbish player for £35 million as cover?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
How good is Militao? He got more rave reviews for his performance against Roma from Italy-based journalists I follow on Twitter. Seems like someone who could be a genuine option for Liverpool (on multiple levels) from what I've heard.
Well Real Madrid want him, so that would point to being pretty decent! £45mil release clause.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Yes. 50/60 odd games equals enough starts for 3 CBs. Especially as one misses significant game time so far and also plays another position too (whether you agree with Klopp or not he's still our 2nd choice RB for now).
I think it’s harsh to say he missed significant game time. He isn’t Sturridge, who breaks whenever he breaks into a run, or Lovren who will miss two month with ‘the vapours’.

He broke his ankle in a shithouse tackle. That’s not being susceptible to injury. And I would not be playing him as a right back anymore, and if that’s Klopp’s plan I profoundly disagree with it.

Nikola

Admin
I wonder how much it would take to prise Anderson away from the Hammers. Think he'd be a fantastic addition. Also Son.
Not sure about Anderson's impact in big games but his talent was obvious since his Lazio days, I once thought his next move would be Real Madrid or Juventus. He's rediscovering himself at West Ham but they'd ask for an arm and a leg, I guess... As for Son, just when I think he can't get any more useful, he gets more useful. A gem for Tottenham and he's precisely the kind of player Liverpool need at this moment. I literally can't think of anyone else who would be a better fit for this Liverpool side than him (other than Rashford, of course) and, believe me, I've tried. If he only hadn't extended his contract...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
That doesn't clarify much, your post is all over the place.

When did anybody advocate bringing in a rubbish player for £35 million as cover?
So are you advocating bringing in a limited player who would only ever be for cover? Or a player good enough to be starting which is what I'm saying I would do!

I literally state in that first sentence that even a semi decent young CB (ie cover) is likely to set you back around £35 million these days. If you disagree with that valuation fine but I'm not sure why you are claiming my post is all over the place?

In my opinion a semi decent cover option is likely to cost around £35 million whilst the most expensive young CB (De Ligt) is only likely to cost £60 million.

So, providing it's not De Ligt we go for, any other young CB we go for as a target should be somewhere in between those figures.

I've ignored the possibilities of a player nearing the end of his contract or signed from out of nowhere as both are possible moves Klopp could make that I wouldn't be able to predict. But say it came down to a choice between someone like Tarkowski or Ake signed specifically to be young cover at CB, well would they really be much cheaper than Romagnoli or Tah or someone who could be eyed as a potential starter?

If we are bringing in a CB to replace Matip then I think it should be the best young CB available to us. Matip and Lovren have limited time left with us and although we all hope for the best Gomez is yet to have a season where he hasn't missed significant game time for one reason or another. He's also (whether it's popular or not) apparently Klopps first choice to cover for Trent at RB so even when fit wouldn't play CB every time he plays.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think it’s harsh to say he missed significant game time. He isn’t Sturridge, who breaks whenever he breaks into a run, or Lovren who will miss two month with ‘the vapours’.

He broke his ankle in a shithouse tackle. That’s not being susceptible to injury. And I would not be playing him as a right back anymore, and if that’s Klopp’s plan I profoundly disagree with it.
Lovren has been registered as injured for 9 matches over the last 3 seasons. Sturridge 24 matches. Gomez (still injured and guaranteed to miss more) has missed 36 matches. I limited it to the last 3 seasons or Gomez gets over 50 added to his number from the season before and that seemed cruel. Whether it's fair or not Joe has missed significant numbers of matches every season. Last season was his best so far only missing 7 for us but that did take him out for the world cup. Joe is amazing. Everything you could want from a home grown CB. Hell everything you could want from a mega money CB signing and I want him staying at the club as long as possible with an important role here. But I'm worried about his availability. If his career continues like this we've got our own Ledley King.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
So are you advocating bringing in a limited player who would only ever be for cover? Or a player good enough to be starting which is what I'm saying I would do!
Again, missing the point.

I'm not advocating signing a 'limited' player per se, you seem to think I want another Klavan. I don't. You seem to think that unless a load of money is thrown at a player he cannot compete for a position.

Tah and Romagnoli are 'limited' compared to Gomez. Both are older yet haven't played to the level he has and neither have his combination of athleticism and ball playing quality. I'd pick Gomez every time.

You're hung up on this £35 million figure yet Akanji went for half of that. Pavard went for less than that.

There are options other than spunking a load of money at every single problem like you always suggest.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Again, missing the point.

I'm not advocating signing a 'limited' player per se, you seem to think I want another Klavan. I don't. You seem to think that unless a load of money is thrown at a player he cannot compete for a position.

Tah and Romagnoli are 'limited' compared to Gomez. Both are older yet haven't played to the level he has and neither have his combination of athleticism and ball playing quality. I'd pick Gomez every time.

You're hung up on this £35 million figure yet Akanji went for half of that. Pavard went for less than that.

There are options other than spunking a load of money at every single problem like you always suggest.
I mentioned in my last response to you that Klopp may sign someone from somewhere off the beaten track like Akanji coming from the Swiss league. Yes that is a possibility to keep the costs down. I don't think Akanji would automatically compete/demote Lovren from 3rd choice let alone challenge Gomez. Pavard is set to transfer in the summer for €35 million which is currently less than £35 million but may not be by then. But Bayern have somehow always been able to underpay when buying from German clubs.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The irony in this discussion is, there aren't any problems other than this freakish injury suffered by our centre-halves this season. Very out of the ordinary for any club to be facing this and most do at least once in every few seasons. But isolated problem that may or may not be a problem been made as if it is a big one. I find that very odd.... If one of our centre half moved on, we will definitely sign one. But so far there is no sign of us wanting to let any of them go, so the hung up on needing a centre half is all in the head of the fans.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The irony in this discussion is, there aren't any problems other than this freakish injury suffered by our centre-halves this season. Very out of the ordinary for any club to be facing this and most do at least once in every few seasons. But isolated problem that may or may not be a problem been made as if it is a big one. I find that very odd.... If one of our centre half moved on, we will definitely sign one. But so far there is no sign of us wanting to let any of them go, so the hung up on needing a centre half is all in the head of the fans.
That's probably correct. Whilst Lovren has never been Mr Reliable he has been hampered this season by returning from the WC with an injury, he's been playing catch up ever since. Combine that with the misfortune of 2 impact injuries causing fractures and you have some issues.

Gomez has had to play at RB this year and last due to necessity, and he did it well, but the time has come to remedy that problem and let him focus on playing at CB. With all that in mind we should be better set to go next season.

So many of our minor issues relating to squad depth can be fixed with players already in the squad. Honestly, I'd be happy with a pair of full backs and one attacking player in the summer and calling it a day. Get a couple of players back from loan, get Chamberlain and Brewster involved, ship out the likes of Moreno, Clyne, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi etc.

We're probably not going to spend at the same level we have over the last 2 windows, and that's absolutely fine. We've got a large handful of talented young players who need to be given a chance.

Nikola

Admin
That's probably correct. Whilst Lovren has never been Mr Reliable he has been hampered this season by returning from the WC with an injury, he's been playing catch up ever since. Combine that with the misfortune of 2 impact injuries causing fractures and you have some issues.

Gomez has had to play at RB this year and last due to necessity, and he did it well, but the time has come to remedy that problem and let him focus on playing at CB. With all that in mind we should be better set to go next season.

So many of our minor issues relating to squad depth can be fixed with players already in the squad. Honestly, I'd be happy with a pair of full backs and one attacking player in the summer and calling it a day. Get a couple of players back from loan, get Chamberlain and Brewster involved, ship out the likes of Moreno, Clyne, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi etc.

We're probably not going to spend at the same level we have over the last 2 windows, and that's absolutely fine.
Net spend should return to the norm, I'm pretty sure of it. I tend to think about selling the likes of Origi, Clyne and Lallana (quite possibly Matip and Mignolet as well) but a fair share of money has already been earned by selling Solanke and Ings - not sure if that counts towards the summer chest but it's still money raised for the club. I fully agree with you and I'm sure that Klopp will do as he always does: make the most out of what he has at his disposal.

There are some deficiencies in the squad that I expect him to take care of this summer through buying, though, and those are a striker and a centre back. Other than that, I think he'll stop after replacing Moreno and Mignolet, I really don't see Lewis and Kelleher or Grabara getting the promotion there, not yet at least. The squad is not yet at Man City's level but that getting these four right would go a long way towards achieving that, in my opinion.

Jamie91

Bertrand to replace Moreno
Werner to replace Sturridge
Zaha to replace Origi and Lallana
Rabiot to replace Milner if he returns to Leeds
De ligt to replace Lovren/Matip.

This would leave us with a squad to challenge on all fronts. Especially adding Wilson, Chamberlain and Brewster.

MW2833

Bertrand to replace Moreno
Werner to replace Sturridge
Zaha to replace Origi and Lallana
Rabiot to replace Milner if he returns to Leeds
De ligt to replace Lovren/Matip.

This would leave us with a squad to challenge on all fronts. Especially adding Wilson, Chamberlain and Brewster.
Bertrand is 29 and I doubt Klopp would buy a player who is already at his peak and not good enough for a top 6 side. There are many better, younger options than him in the market.
Also, I don't think we would need both Werner and Zaha.
The players you have suggested would cost around:
Bertrand 15 mil
Zaha 60 mil
Werner 60 mil
Rabiot Free, but huge wages
De Ligt 65 mil
Which totals 200 million.
I don't think we will spend that much this Summer, and even if we do, we could get much better players for that price (mostly talking about Bertrand and Zaha).