Who would you buy?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
As I said in that post it's not only about height. Plenty of CBs are great in the air without being that tall. I'd say Gomez slightly edges Matip despite the height difference. But you increase your odds of getting it right if you buy a taller guy to start with. This guy may be great in the air for all I know.
Yep, Puyol and Cannavaro were great in the air and both were under 6'.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
As I said in that post it's not only about height. Plenty of CBs are great in the air without being that tall. I'd say Gomez slightly edges Matip despite the height difference. But you increase your odds of getting it right if you buy a taller guy to start with. This guy may be great in the air for all I know.
Sure, but a taller guy is usually slower or have less ability on the ball, it's that combination that makes Van Dijk so unique.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Sure, but a taller guy is usually slower or have less ability on the ball, it's that combination that makes Van Dijk so unique.
You're right the requirement is to be good at dealing with balls in the air not being tall. Other requirements just or more important are being able to lead yourself through a game under your own judgement (no CBs who need their partner leading them through matches like Henchoz or Skrtel), quick over distances as may have to recover the high line being broken, comfortable at least at playing the ball on the floor, physical enough they can't get easily bullied by rough players and for the love of Fowler no record of niggling injuries every now and again! If he ticks all the boxes fine, don't know much about him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Interesting option Nicolas Pepe seems to be available at a price of €50 million or more. Anybody that would take him? I'm just not sure we need to strengthen at RW.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Do we have a consensus we need to strengthen our front line? Seems we do. I’ve seen us linked since Jan to the following;

Brandt - Right/Left Forward who can play no.10/8
Havertz - no.10 who can play no.8
Sarr - Left Forward who can play anywhere across the front 3
Bergwjin - Left Forward who can play anywhere across the front 3
Werner - Center Forward who can play Left Forward
Jovic - Center Forward who can play either side also
Pepe - Right Forward who can play anywhere across the front 3

Anyone else to add to the list?

Seems to me we are clearly in the market for a versatile forward player, maybe even two of them (with one of them able to play the more attacking no..8 in a 433).

What are people’s thoughts? I’ve not seen much of some of them but would be happy with the vast majority of them tbh. They all look to be at a level they can come in and add something, but also young enough to be developed further by Klopp and his team.

Do we have a consensus we need to strengthen our front line? Seems we do. I’ve seen us linked since Jan to the following;

Seems to me we are clearly in the market for a versatile forward player, maybe even two of them (with one of them able to play the more attacking no..8 in a 433).

What are people’s thoughts? I’ve not seen much of some of them but would be happy with the vast majority of them tbh. They all look to be at a level they can come in and add something, but also young enough to be developed further by Klopp and his team.
Werner and Havertz look like a very good shout to me. But i would maybe put Havertz on the back burner for now at least and buy another striker that can play both wings if possible.Purely because i would not see Havertz dislodge Firmino or Ox in that AM role or 10 role which is where they would likely feature if we signed Werner and he was used as a striker with a 10 behind and Salah and Mane either side.Havertz maybe worth signing if Firmino and Werner are to be used as alternatives upfront so that we have him and Ox as our AM types. All depends on Klopp's plans for Firmino really i still feel he is better as a 10 or AM with the right striker ahead of him. So i would still go for 2 strikers to replace Sturridge and Origi but i am not Klopp and he will have a clear idea on what is best.

LFCFFC

From that list, two of these three - Brandt, Werner and Bergwijn

But that might be slightly greedy!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
From my post in the twitter thread..

#lfc have been scouting 25yo #sociedad CB Diego Llorente and are tipped to make a 30m euros summer move for the Spain international.

Lovren has had another set back so still not fit.

I get Mascott's point about unreliable defenders but I'd only remove 1 of them (Lovren) and keep Matip.
I suspect that’s what happens in real life rather than my imagination, and I think the club will allow Matip’s contract to expire next year.

From that list, two of these three - Brandt, Werner and Bergwijn

But that might be slightly greedy!
Havertz is far more of a prospect than Brandt or Bergwijn in my view he also is far more versatile position wise. Klopp could do a lot with that lad. Brandt is a great player also tho but do not think the need for him in our squad is as high as it is for Werner and Havertz. We will have Firmino and Brewster only if Sturridge and Origi go and only have Ox and Shaqiri who can play the AM to a standard needed and Shaqiri is far better out wide anyway. Havertz is a great option to have with Ox if go that rout and Werner instead of Firmino is another. Certain games could see Firmino behind Werner making it even more attacking

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team

If we can get Luka Jovic for a reasonable price, I think we should do it. I'd move Firmino back into midfield for that.

IMO... Jovic + Havertz are the best in that list, followed by Werner and Brandt. Not interested in the rest.

If we can get Luka Jovic for a reasonable price, I think we should do it. I'd move Firmino back into midfield for that.

IMO... Jovic + Havertz are the best in that list, followed by Werner and Brandt. Not interested in the rest.
Be happy we that myself pal. Jovic and Werner not much difference in goal return per games played just feel Werner being that year older and more international experience makes him a better choice. Also will throw in Max Gomez who we have had dubious links with as a 2nd striker option to go for if Origi is not kept which looks likely.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Be happy we that myself pal. Jovic and Werner not much difference in goal return per games played just feel Werner being that year older and more international experience makes him a better choice. Also will throw in Max Gomez who we have had dubious links with as a 2nd striker option to go for if Origi is not kept which looks likely.
Ummm... there is quite a big different in goal return per game played. Jovic with 15 goals, 5 assists in 1452 minutes... to Werner's 11 goals, 2 assists in 1732 Bundesliga minutes. That is 1.24 Goals / Assists per game for Jovic VS 0.68 Goals / Assists per game for Werner.

Good call on Maxi Gomez though. He would definitely be a major upgrade on Origi.

Ummm... there is quite a big different in goal return per game played. Jovic with 15 goals, 5 assists in 1452 minutes... to Werner's 11 goals, 2 assists in 1732 Bundesliga minutes. That is 1.24 Goals / Assists per game for Jovic VS 0.68 Goals / Assists per game for Werner.

Good call on Maxi Gomez though. He would definitely be a major upgrade on Origi.
Just taking into account this seasons tally yes but i was taking last season also as i prefer a 2 year judgement due to difference of manager difference of set up difference of players assisting. Both consistently score and assist in sides that are not the best in their league so has to be admired.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Haven't seen us reliably linked with any of them, bar maybe the 'interest' (though as Pearce said at the moment not more than that) in Werner. But yeah, you'd expect one new forward acquisition for sure. I think this season we won't get the early reliable sources out until we find out what was our season like, in Europe but especially in the league, as it could go down to the wire. Sure, we are probably making plans/little moves no matter what happens in the next 2 months or so.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Whoever we buy I hope it is all done Fab...outta nowhere and fucking quickly.

The circus does me head in.
Whilst the signing of Fabinho was utterly brilliant (I don't think it even managed a page as a rumour before it was confirmed) it did kind of take the fun out of it, don't you think?

I guess I've just always enjoyed the chase, as it were.

Dane

NEXT!
Whilst the signing of Fabinho was utterly brilliant (I don't think it even managed a page as a rumour before it was confirmed) it did kind of take the fun out of it, don't you think?

Not for me.
I find everything to do with transfer speculation and ITK's feeding gullible fans tidbits utterly tedious.
If I could sleep through the close season I would.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?

So that was you on the M1 taking photos of the white van VvD was supposedly in??

haha

I just find it tedious when it gets to situations like the above.

People tracking flights also springs to mind...

I guess I could just zone out, but me being me...I'll just take one more look online... :eh?:

Kopstar

★★★★★
So that was you on the M1 taking photos of the white van VvD was supposedly in??

haha

I guess I could just zone out, but me being me...I'll just take one more look online... :eh?:
No comment :eh?:

Liverpool fans crashing flight radar just adds to the whole soap opera of it all, it's hilarious, ridiculous, idiotic, childish all at the same time. Beats following it via Ceefax!

But what I like most is the prolonged rivalry for a player's signature. Admittedly I'm enjoying that more since we've started beating the likes of City, United, Chelsea etc to players' signatures rather than losing out to Tottenham.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit

haha

This is basically me. I'm glued to the circus and despise myself for it.

My work productivity would go up considerably if every deal sprang out of the blue like the Fab one.

Oh, who am I kidding, even then there's the days of googling scouting reports, tracking down low-res Youtube highlights reels, the weeks of debate around whether he's best suited as a DM, DCM or no6 all of which are completely different things I'll have you know... :J

RedForever2014

I do have concerns about TAA defensively.

Hopefully he'll continue to develop and improve, but I think improving at right sided centre back would help that and also cover better when he makes mistakes.

I would love to see Gomez and De Ligt competing to start alongside VVD, such that there's always a quality right sided centre back alongside TAA, rather than the erratic Lovren or Matip.