Who would you buy?

GaryBarlow99

called him every name in the book...but in a heartbeat, personally

it's not if i'd have him, though, it's if the big german bloke would
Me too mate. Knows the system and the players. Really developed under Klopp. Can't see it though.

wibseyred

All those saying the would have the little shit bag Coutinho back are you forgetting the mysterious back injury which flared up which stopped him playing in the champions league qualifier. Which also made him miss the start of the season too but low and behold cleared up when the window closed and amazingly flared up again in the January window. If that's not showing a fuck you attitude to your manager and team mates I don't know what is.

GaryBarlow99

All those saying the would have the little shit bag Coutinho back are you forgetting the mysterious back injury which flared up which stopped him playing in the champions league qualifier. Which also made him miss the start of the season too but low and behold cleared up when the window closed and amazingly flared up again in the January window. If that's not showing a fuck you attitude to your manager and team mates I don't know what is.
To be fair mate it's only two of us :J

Kopstar

★★★★★
Was that the back injury that then also kept him out for the first few weeks at Barcelona?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
If we are letting Milner, Lallana, DS, Ings and Clyne this summer, then what is our situation on English players. I know we have Ox, Hendo, Robertson and Gomez.... TAA is just missing the cut. Who else do we have. Do we need to start buying English players to meet the quote. Also should we do considering Brexit implications?

Anfield rd Dreamer

If we are letting Milner, Lallana, DS, Ings and Clyne this summer, then what is our situation on English players. I know we have Ox, Hendo, Robertson and Gomez.... TAA is just missing the cut. Who else do we have. Do we need to start buying English players to meet the quote. Also should we do considering Brexit implications?
We don't have to have them. The real limit is a maximum of 17 none home grown senior players. So it just limits the size of the squad not having them but we use a smaller senior squad anyway (guys like Trent, Hoever and Brewster don't count yet but will be used in the squad). Oh and Robertson won't count as home grown I don't think. Its 3 full seasons at an English or Welsh club before you turn 21 I think the rule is.

GermanRed

GK Mignolet (possibly leaving) -> ???
LB Moreno -> Adam Lewis
CB
Lovren (possibly leaving) -> ???
RB Clyne -> Camacho/Hoever
CM
Milner/Lallana (can't see it atm) -> ???
CF Ings/Solanke -> Brewster
LW*
Origi (possibly leaving) -> ???
CF* Sturridge -> ???

* Replacements for Sturridge and Origi should be two players who are able to cover LW, CF and AM together.

Feel free to replace the ??? with names.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
LB Moreno -> Adam Lewis
CB
CM
LW*
CF* Sturridge -> ???

* Replacements for Sturridge and Origi should be two players who are able to cover LW, CF and AM together.

Isn't the point of this thread that you replace those ??? with names?

Kopstar

★★★★★
LB Moreno -> Adam Lewis
CB
CM
LW*
CF* Sturridge -> ???

I'd keep Mignolet but otherwise,

De Ligt
Havertz
Brandt
Icardi

I'd add Sessegnon to that list and we could do with a right back.

Anfield rd Dreamer

LB Moreno -> Adam Lewis
CB
CM
LW*
CF* Sturridge -> ???

Mignolet replaced by Reina, Muslera or Ochoa.

Lovren/Matip replaced by Tah, Romagnoli (option at LB too) or Milenkovic (option at RB too so Gomez can stay at CB).

Milner (centrally) replaced by Keita being used exclusively in CM instead of LM or AM.

Lallana if he needs replacing then Jones promoted or Wilson back off loan.

Two attackers to replace Origi and Sturridge hmmm.... ultimate dream for the left first would be someone like Mbappe, Dembele or Griezmann. Think ambitious but still possible might be someone like Sancho or Son. More probable Bergwjin, El Shaarawy or Lozano. The other attacker im really not sure if we need a 10 or 9 in 4231 (in which case I'd go for Eriksen 10 or Werner 9) or Firmino cover in 433 in which case Dybala maybe?

Sorry it's hard for me to choose. But I do think two good attackers, one good CB and a back up GK is all we need and definitely within our means. Especially considering likely sales.

Limiescouse

Given we have no club trained players we can only register a maximum of 21 senior players in European competition anyway, and that means you only need 4 home grown players (17+4) to hit that limit. Right now we only have Hendo, Ox, Studge, Lallana and Milner. If two of the last 3 stay we'll be fine.

In a couple of years Gomez and then Trent will be old enough to no longer be on the B list (kids) and that should help manage the transition away from the more senior group, but we have gone from a position of considerable depth of HG players to one where were are having to consider HG players in our overall recruitment strategy (assuming that Brexit doesnt F anything up).

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Given we have no club trained players we can only register a maximum of 21 senior players in European competition anyway, and that means you only need 4 home grown players (17+4) to hit that limit. Right now we only have Hendo, Ox, Studge, Lallana and Milner. If two of the last 3 stay we'll be fine.

In a couple of years Gomez and then Trent will be old enough to no longer be on the B list (kids) and that should help manage the transition away from the more senior group, but we have gone from a position of considerable depth of HG players to one where were are having to consider HG players in our overall recruitment strategy (assuming that Brexit doesnt F anything up).
Gomez is 21 now and is with us from 2015. So he should be eligible for club trained right?

Limiescouse

Honestly, I dont know. He turned 21 at the end of his third season with us, but I dont know if it was late enough for last season to have been considered complete. I havent seen a clear definition of that anywhere.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Honestly, I dont know. He turned 21 at the end of his third season with us, but I dont know if it was late enough for last season to have been considered complete. I havent seen a clear definition of that anywhere.
It counts. Article 44.04 is pretty clear.

44.04 A "club-trained player" is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of the
season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which
he turns 21), and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been registered with
his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons (i.e. a
period starting with the first official match of the relevant national championship
and ending with the last official match of that relevant national championship) or
of 36 months. In the context of this paragraph, the season immediately preceding
a player’s 15th birthday may be counted if his birthday is after the last match of
the relevant national championship but before or on 30 June (winter
championships) or 31 December (summer championships), and the season
immediately following his 21st birthday may be counted if his birthday is on or
after 1 July (winter championships) or 1 January (summer championships) but
before the first match of the relevant national championship.

Limiescouse

It counts. Article 44.04 us pretty clear.
Is it?

...In the context of this paragraph...the season immediately following his 21st birthday may be counted if his birthday is on or after 1 July (winter championships)...but before the first match of the relevant national championship.

To me that says that this season cannot count towards his 3 (and by definition the previous one will count as a full season), but does not say if last season qualifies as a full season. It is implied it might. You might assume that if a birthday between July 1st and the first day of the season is the cut off for this season to count than anything between the last game of last season and July 1st would allow for last season to be considered complete. That seems reasonable and logical, but it isnt a direct statement.

Last edited:

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
LB Moreno -> Adam Lewis
CB
CM
LW*
CF* Sturridge -> ???

I'd whack about everything we have next window on a front 3 player. I'd personally choose Zaha, I think he'd be great for us and Klopp, but any sort of top prospect and one out of all the names others have floated out would make me happy. There was an article (in the Echo I think, but not sure) saying Rogers appointment at Leicester means Wilson will not be going there on loan, and they had been favorites, so maybe Wilson has one more loan to a prem side next year. If that happens, I'll be happy to see how he does, but maybe not the best sign that he'll be a Liverpool player. I'm not sure. But there is room for another two front 3 players in the squad. Thank you Sturridge for the 13-14 season, and best of luck. Origi gets a shoulder shrug from me. I'd rather have someone else on the bench. I'm hoping the second front three player added to the squad is Brewster, along with whoever the big target is in the summer transfer window.

I don't think Matip and Lovren are desperate to leave, and I don't think I'd force them out the door. Fabinho looked the part when he had to fill in at CB, and while that's not ideal, if we find ourselves needing that 5th CB again I'm not against it being him. If Matip or Lovren decide they want out, then a replacement is certainly needed. I'm not sure I'd spend what it would take to get De Ligt (although certainly I'm not against the idea, just seems a waste with Gomez), I'd expect another version of the Viking lad we had (lol I can't remember his name right now). Wait- got it- Ragnar Klavan! Someone like him. Reliable when needed, and will look fine playing next to VVD. We could do with some depth at fullback, but I did like the look of Camacho when he got a run out. I don't know anything about Lewis, but our forum members who watch the youth sides have given mixed reviews on him. A LB deputy/prospect would be on my list, but I'd not want to spend the sort of money on a backup LB that Sesignon (sp?) would cost. Another 10 mil youngish bargain shopping will do the trick for me.

For Milner and Lallana, the only way I think one of them leaves/needs replacing is if Leeds get promoted, and Milner has his swan song with them. It was nice to see Lallana play, and play well, on Sunday. The creative player to link midfield with the attack and pop in with some goals is going to be some combination of Kieta and Ox next year I think. I'm more than happy with our midfield depth. Fabinho, Henderson, Ox, Gini, Kieta, Milner, Lallana, and Shaq seems like enough. After a bright start, Shaqiri has looked about how I thought he would. I haven't been really impressed. If he is sold for a profit this summer, than I could see another attacking type of midfielder brought in, but otherwise I'm happy with what we have. Even if Milner goes and Lallana is never fit next year, there are young players like Woodburn floating around if we had an injury crisis. Although, I'm hoping Woodburn is playing somewhere each week next year on loan.

So, after all that, I'm looking for a top of the market type of front 3 player, possibly a deputy CB depending on if Matip or Lovren want to leave, depth at LB, and a player similar to Mingolet if he leaves, although I'd not force him out the door either. If we do something crazy like sign De Ligt, I hope the money would still be there for the front three player. That's the player I want the most.

zman89

Unfortunately next summer we will have a bit of reshuffle to do. The following is what I think will happen:

GK: Mignolet won't stay another year as a sub. I feel he stayed in hope that Alisson will fail to deliver and he will take his spot. So we need a keeper. Solid 30/33+ year old on a free/low fee. There are a couple of decent keepers on a free this summer.

LB: Moreno is leaving on a free. Promote someone from the academy seems to be the plan (Adam Lewis?). Personally I would have sold Moreno last summer and got a fee for him.

CB: If money was no problem, I would go and buy a top CB this summer. All our CBS apart from Matip are injury prone and personally while Matip has parts to his game which Lovren doesn't, I think Lovren is more reliable at the back. Plus his contract ends in 2020. Matip out and bring in a beast to partner VVD. Koulibaly would be my preference but of course it's a bit impossible considering the cost involved.

RB: With clyne seemingly on the way out on a free (another one we should have got a fee for), we need a backup to Trent. While Gomez is very able backup at RB, I feel that he is better at CB and he would get ample play time there. I have no idea who's available but I'd be looking at an oldish reliable backup here.

CM/CDM: Personally I still want a controller type in the middle of the park. Someone in the Xabi Alonso mould (I know lol). I think this will have to wait as the cost might be too prohibitive. I think one of Milner or Lallana will leave. Probably Milner.

LW/RW/CF/AM/ST: Seeing as our attackers interchange in their positions, I think we will look at players who can play in all the forward positions. Personally I would go for a pacey young and upcoming winger/forward to bring on late in games (We're being linked with Bergwijn at PSV, which I really liked from the highlight reels) and another more establised and ready to explode (23-25 year old) as direct competition. I think this player will have to be more of a "tactician" ala Coutinho or Fekir rather than an explosive forward. I think Brandt is the player we will look to sign again. Personally I really like Insigne, but he would be more the explosive type rather than the tactician type.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Unfortunately next summer we will have a bit of reshuffle to do. The following is what I think will happen:

GK: Mignolet won't stay another year as a sub. I feel he stayed in hope that Alisson will fail to deliver and he will take his spot. So we need a keeper. Solid 30/33+ year old on a free/low fee. There are a couple of decent keepers on a free this summer.

LB: Moreno is leaving on a free. Promote someone from the academy seems to be the plan (Adam Lewis?). Personally I would have sold Moreno last summer and got a fee for him.

CB: If money was no problem, I would go and buy a top CB this summer. All our CBS apart from Matip are injury prone and personally while Matip has parts to his game which Lovren doesn't, I think Lovren is more reliable at the back. Plus his contract ends in 2020. Matip out and bring in a beast to partner VVD. Koulibaly would be my preference but of course it's a bit impossible considering the cost involved.

RB: With clyne seemingly on the way out on a free (another one we should have got a fee for), we need a backup to Trent. While Gomez is very able backup at RB, I feel that he is better at CB and he would get ample play time there. I have no idea who's available but I'd be looking at an oldish reliable backup here.

CM/CDM: Personally I still want a controller type in the middle of the park. Someone in the Xabi Alonso mould (I know lol). I think this will have to wait as the cost might be too prohibitive. I think one of Milner or Lallana will leave. Probably Milner.

LW/RW/CF/AM/ST: Seeing as our attackers interchange in their positions, I think we will look at players who can play in all the forward positions. Personally I would go for a pacey young and upcoming winger/forward to bring on late in games (We're being linked with Bergwijn at PSV, which I really liked from the highlight reels) and another more establised and ready to explode (23-25 year old) as direct competition. I think this player will have to be more of a "tactician" ala Coutinho or Fekir rather than an explosive forward. I think Brandt is the player we will look to sign again. Personally I really like Insigne, but he would be more the explosive type rather than the tactician type.
I think the club would have been open to selling Moreno last summer. There doesnt appear to have been any interest from any other clubs, hence why he is leaving on a free this summer.

Clyne isnt leaving on a free. His contract doesnt expire for another year or two, so he will most likely leave this summer for a fee.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Is it?

...In the context of this paragraph...the season immediately following his 21st birthday may be counted if his birthday is on or after 1 July (winter championships)...but before the first match of the relevant national championship.

To me that says that this season cannot count towards his 3 (and by definition the previous one will count as a full season), but does not say if last season qualifies as a full season. It is implied it might. You might assume that if a birthday between July 1st and the first day of the season is the cut off for this season to count than anything between the last game of last season and July 1st would allow for last season to be considered complete. That seems reasonable and logical, but it isnt a direct statement.
That's a fair observation. The reference to 15th birthday in gap between end of season and 30 June and 21st birthday in the gap after 1 July but before first game of new season is a bit of a bodge job. These merely represent the bookends of how to treat the age range. However, you may as well ignore reference to 15th and 21st as it is applied in the same way each year. Joe turned 21 after last season ended but before 30 June (23 May) so last season counts as a full season.

As you say, the strict interpretation is that players turning 21 after the season ends but before 30 June fall through the net, which would be illogical as it would result in that season counting for an older player but not for them.