• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Danny Sarge

In terms of CBs i think De Ligt would be first choice, but if we couldn't get him what about Lewis Dunk?

Underrated, A good leader and has quality.

BigJon

Who will be going in the summer -
Definite -Moreno, Sturridge, Mignolet
Probable - Origi
Possible - Lallana, Henderson, Matip or Lovren.

Required - 1 LB, 1 GK, 1CM and possibly 1 striker.

Klopp will surprise us as usual though.

Claymenza

To be fair, there is no one available that stands out as better than what we got.
It all depends who's on the way out really or how youth manage their way in.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Food for thought for the likes of Werner and Brandt.. Why would you go Bayern, they are in need of a serious overhaul in all areas. A side on the decline v’s us who are clearly in the ascendancy.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Food for thought for the likes of Werner and Brandt.. Why would you go Bayern, they are in need of a serious overhaul in all areas. A side on the decline v’s us who are clearly in the ascendancy.
There's the other side of that medal - Bayern team will be changed this summer but I'm not buying that they need an overhaul, to be honest, they are a quality side that relies on experience of Lewandowski, Robben and Ribery just a little too much these days, every up-and-coming player in Bundesliga will be in their sights and vice versa.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
There's the other side of that medal - Bayern team will be changed this summer but I'm not buying that they need an overhaul, to be honest, they are a quality side that relies on experience of Lewandowski, Robben and Ribery just a little too much these days, every up-and-coming player in Bundesliga will be in their sights and vice versa.
O I don't doubt that, but say you are a young player (insert Brandt/Werner here) and watched us over the two legs we were by far the better side. Despite my whopper comments from the pre/post match threads on reflection we limited them to 2 shots on goal in 180 minutes of football. Who do you think is the more attractive option? Especially when you add in the fact Klopp manages us and helped establish the likes of Reus, Hummels, Gotze as worldclass players from mere potential.

Bayern have a lot of rebuilding to do - Lewandowski, Robben, Ribery as you say, but also Neuer (32), Boateng (30), Hummels (30), Martinez (30), Muller (29) are approaching or beyond their twilight years also.

The young talents they have such as Koman (close to retiring at some points due to how injury prone he is), Gnarby (very very hit and miss and goes missing for large parts of the game).

Sule, Alaba, Kimmich are class but that's the core you must build around so it's a 2-3 year rebuild v's Liverpool which are competing for the top honors now. I wonder with Real needing a rebuild as well if they may look to Bayern for the likes of Alaba/Kimmich etc.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Balague says Bale is on around £200k per week and Real would want around £65m. Too risky for our aquarium and our other needs. Don't think he'd be mentally or physically ready to do a midfield box-to-box job like Di Maria did at Real (under Ancelotti, when they had good balance for a short while) either.

GaryBarlow99

Can't see who would buy Bale. He is injury prone and will be 30 in the summer. Yes he is a top player but how often would he be available and is it worth the contract length, wage and transfer fee that would be required.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Can't see who would buy Bale. He is injury prone and will be 30 in the summer. Yes he is a top player but how often would he be available and is it worth the contract length, wage and transfer fee that would be required.
I think sooner or later he will be a ManU player - and that would be a good thing.

Nikola

Admin
Militao has officially signed for Real Madrid, so moving for him is sadly out of question. It's a shame, looked like a quality talent.

GK Mignolet (possibly leaving) -> ???
LB Moreno -> Adam Lewis
CB
Lovren (possibly leaving) -> ???
RB Clyne -> Camacho/Hoever
CM
Milner/Lallana (can't see it atm) -> ???
CF Ings/Solanke -> Brewster
LW*
Origi (possibly leaving) -> ???
CF* Sturridge -> ???

* Replacements for Sturridge and Origi should be two players who are able to cover LW, CF and AM together.

Feel free to replace the ??? with names.
Milner is defo going he is getting towards last 2 seasons of his career i would say and looks leggy too often now and is lower down in our pecking order than once was so for a big wage but 4th 5th choice in midfield he is obvious to replace. And his replacement is obvious. Rabiot of PSG. He is on a free same as Milner was but is only 23yrs old he will command a similar wage to Milner so no difference there either he is a Reds fan (apparently) he is a cracking CM type tall and strong and a very sharp footballing brain.
Origi is going and likes of Gomez of Celta should be looked at. Sturridge is obvious and has to be Werner in my view. Moreno should go and either Lewis or Kelly for me and Lovren gone and would love someone like De Ligt but doubt we will get him but has to be a young class prospect for me. If Lallana is to go then someone like Havertz is ideal and brings much needed creativity.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Wouldn't mind Javi Martinez as a short/medium term midfield/centre back option. Was easily Bayern's best midfielder over the two legs, probably has another 3 or 4 decent years left in him.

Limiescouse

Milner is defo going he is getting towards last 2 seasons of his career i would say and looks leggy too often now and is lower down in our pecking order than once was so for a big wage but 4th 5th choice in midfield he is obvious to replace.
You drastically underestimate the (justified) confidence Klopp has in Milner.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
I think the 2 most pressing positions to fill this summer are an attacking mid and more cover for Firmino.

For striker, I agree on the Gomez links from Celta Vigo. He looks a real talent and offers something a little different up front. I don't think he would cost as much as some of the more glamours striker options. Werner would also be a good shout and he can play wide on the left as well. However, he seems set for Bayern.

For attacking mid, what about a cheeky loan with option to buy bid for Coutinho? He seems up popular, unhappy and possibly available. He knows the league and club well and is exactly what we need. As an alternative, Isco or Assensio may be available, but the resigning of Zidane may change their respective availability. Keita doesn't seem to be the answer and I anticipate the Ox needing a full season to get back into the grove of things, which is typical for players coming back from long term ligaments injuries.

We are also likely to need a new backup keeper. It seems certain Mignolet will move on, but Karius may return. Would he be happy to be number 2? Alternatively, id be happy with somebody like Joe Hart to sit on the bench and play the odd cup game.

We could potentially do with another option for the wide attacking roles to cover Mane and Salah. I think Shaqiri has been criminally underused and deserves more opportunities. Wilson should also be eased into the side next season. Lozano would be a great addition, all be it a luxury.

Where does all that leave us?

First 11

Alisson
TAA Gomez VVD Roberton
Ginni Fabinho Coutinho
Salah Firmino Mane

Second 11
Karius
Clyne Matip Lovren Lewis
Keita Henderson Ox
Shaq Gomez Wilson

Out

Sturidge
Origi
Milner
Grujic (loan)
Moreno
Mignolet

Nikola

Admin
Six year deal I’m hearing. That’ll have taken a sizeable chunk out Zidanes war chest.
Yeah, only 250 more millions to spend! lol

Wouldn't mind Javi Martinez as a short/medium term midfield/centre back option. Was easily Bayern's best midfielder over the two legs, probably has another 3 or 4 decent years left in him.
I wouldn't mind half of their side, to be honest, but there are times when I think "oh, I'd love Kimmich, he's world class" but then I remember "but no way I'd drop Robertson or TAA for anyone" - not because they're better but because they simply fit. This club, this squad, everything about it. I honestly don't expect Liverpool to win anything this season but when I look at certain players, I have to pinch myself. That's what Klopp's about.

I'd still sign Kimmich and ditch Moreno, though.

Nikola

Admin
Kimmich celebrating defending properly in the first leg is one of my favourite things I've seen in football in years.
I think Marquinhos and Silva also did it when Liverpool played them away. I love those smug, demotivational tactics of our opponents, especially after Liverpool progress and they don't. lol

Nikola

Admin
Hazard or Eriksen will take at least another 100 million off that as well.
I've felt it was either/or when it comes to these two, surely they won't sign both?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I've felt it was either/or when it comes to these two, surely they won't sign both?
Probably selling Isco or Asensio. Neither are rated. won't Eriksen be cheap due to having 1 year left? They could arguably be getting 2 world class players for half price each!

Limiescouse

Probably selling Isco or Asensio. Neither are rated.
Zidane will likely want to keep Asensio. If there wasnt an Asensio to deal with he may want to keep Isco as well, but probably wont want both.
The thought is they will try and use Bale for Erikson and then money for Hazard.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
He's a proper snide, that boot on Gini was dirty especially considering he wasn't the one who fouled him nor got a yellow card.
Or accidental? It looked accidental to me, nothing like Costa's on Can for example. Martinez looked genuinely contrite when he realised where he had planted his foot.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Or accidental? It looked accidental to me, nothing like Costa's on Can for example. Martinez looked genuinely contrite when he realised where he had planted his foot.
Maybe maybe, although a lot of the Bayern players are masters of the dark arts.. Not surprising, they all learnt under a certain light blue Spaniard..

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Matip also did in the first half what Sanches did on Gini. There was another one from our side I think. All accidental I think, yeah. On Martinez... I think we're okay going forward with Fabinho/Hendo at #6, but at CB I'd want someone who is better in that role.

Nikola

Admin
Probably selling Isco or Asensio. Neither are rated. won't Eriksen be cheap due to having 1 year left? They could arguably be getting 2 world class players for half price each!
Not sure about Isco, he played the best football of his career under Zidane who seemed to trust him (at least in my opinion) and Asensio also started brightly but regressed after his departure. I think he'll give them a chance.

Zidane will likely want to keep Asensio. If there wasnt an Asensio to deal with he may want to keep Isco as well, but probably wont want both.

The thought is they will try and use Bale for Erikson and then money for Hazard.
Would Tottenham want Bale at this stage and would Bale want Tottenham, with presumed wage cuts, though? He doesn't strike me as player Pochettino would be particularly keen on because of his injuries - otherwise, he's brilliant and I hated Tottenham for having him popping up with (late) winners from 30 yards out. Spanish media are saying that he and Modrić are nearing the exit, though. Two more big names to Italy?

Limiescouse

Would Tottenham want Bale at this stage and would Bale want Tottenham, with presumed wage cuts, though? He doesn't strike me as player Pochettino would be particularly keen on because of his injuries - otherwise, he's brilliant and I hated Tottenham for having him popping up with (late) winners from 30 yards out. Spanish media are saying that he and Modrić are nearing the exit, though. Two more big names to Italy?
I suspect Spurs wont go for it, but who knows. It is interesting regarding Real as I have seen wildly different opinions on who will leave from people who usually have good insight. It really could be anything.