• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Your original assertion was that we were kicked out of both domestic cups “very easily”; I’m merely stating that that is far from correct.

I agree with you that the squad needs strengthening but we aren’t like Man City (and others)- we can’t afford to entice players with £100k a week or more just to get splinters up their arse.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
@JustHitMyHead @Iluvatar @Anfield rd Dreamer

You can have your own opinion of course and hope we will go on and sign de Ligt, Dyballa or players in the price category between them.

But when I’m reading quotes of Klopp saying we won’t spend as big as we did last year - I think that’s exactly what is going to happen. Makes sense to me because we are having a great season again. Improved and still have the potential to improve.
I would say the likelihood of us spending as big is not terribly big either... And on De Ligt, I haven't seen much indication that we are interested either.

But inflation is so high that breaking 100m this summer is nothing like breaking it 5 years back. A top striker + top midfielder could conceivably set you back that much.

170m? Not so much. Really can't see breaking that in one summer for a little while at least.

It's all about what players Klopp likes and how much money is banked (self sufficiency). His priority will be to improve the club given his resources, not keep it below last year's spending or an artificial figure like 100m.

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Julian Brandt
Release clause under £25m. Playing as a #8 this season but also able to play wide, #10 and probably the Firmino role too. Very likely to leave Leverkusen if they miss out on CL.

If we can get him then maybe we can bring in a 'real #9' for under £50 to complete our attack. CF - different to what we already have in Firmino, Salah and Brewster - but not a big man striker. Luka Jovic could be available if Eintracht Frankfurt miss out on CL. But i‘m not sure if he would fit our style. I‘m pretty sure he will be a world class attacker if he chooses the right club.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I don't think anyone in Liverpool fanbase is surprised at the latest comments from Klopp, sensible stuff from him as always on so many levels. That said, I would be surprised if he really didn't use the next summer window to strengthen this side. There are a few cracks in the side, though, and it says a lot that, for the most part, none of us are bothered that Liverpool will lose the likes of Sturridge and Moreno on free transfers but even though they don't make significant contributions to Liverpool's cause, they need to be replaced by someone who will.

I already have big hopes for the next season regarding the development of this squad:

- significant improvement of players who have so far failed to put in consistently good performances, i.e. Keita and Shaqiri - I'm hoping for another Wijnaldum (or pre-injuries Lallana) scenario from these two, to be honest
- one or two players promoted from youth ranks - Brewster and Camacho are my picks, both fit Klopp's style
- two to three new additions - I'm thinking of a reliable centre back and a forward, maybe a left back, too, depending on whether Klopp rates Lewis or or not

Of course, having luck with injuries goes a long way towards helping the team actually win trophies. I'm convinced that Liverpool would be even a single point clear at the top had AOC been fit this whole season and that Man City wouldn't have won with Gomez in Lovren's place.

As for actual players I would target... Well, Sessegnon could really be a nice addition as he covers multiple roles and has proper pace. Who knows, maybe he can be both Robertson's and Mane's backup at this age, though I'd say his future lies in attacking roles.

At the moment, I can't think of another young centre back now that Militao has signed for Real Madrid. I find it interesting that Klopp is giving the highest possible praise to Matip this season, even when he's not playing, but the club aren't offering him an extension even though he's approaching the final year of his contract.

GermanRed

Your “under £50” line. You left off the millions. ;-)
lol Sorry for that.

On a serious note - we should never forget what Klopp is able to do with his new signings. He could replace Ings, Solanke, Sturridge and Origi with a £25m player and turn him into something better than what City have on bench (Jesus/Mahrez).

Same goes for the CB position as many are suggesting that we should replace Matip or Lovren. Many are hoping for a +£50m CB. Maybe we would get around £30m for Lovren and Klopp would bring in a replacement for £25m - not unrealistic / no problem because Klopp could turn that player into the next World Cup winning CB.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I have underestimated nothing at all fella. You are underestimating the fact Keita Fabinho and Wijnaldum are likely to be way ahead of Milner next season and Ox returning plus a likely signing of another midfielder with a creative edge all puts Milner way down the pecking order. Milner is 33 yrs old is not likely to want to end his career with us and Klopp is a realist and needs to plan for the future so why hang on to a huge wage player who is 33 and 4th 5th maybe 6th choice in midfield if could sell him to someone like Leeds if gain promotion and Milner is willing to take a pay cut. And before you say this is unlikely the lad was born in Yorkshire and Leeds was his boyhood club. But even if its not Leeds their is Southampton who brought him on the big stage so i think it is you who underestimates how football moves on.
Leeds brought Milner onto the big stage as a 16 year old, not Southampton. I can see an argument as to why he may wish to move there - but i've only seen assumptions being made by fans - has Milner said anything on this? Milner has said before he wanted to keep his family in the North because they were settled, so i dont see him going to places like Southampton.

If Milner does go, it's pretty unlikely we will be getting a fee for him - given his age and salary. We've already as far as i understand it activated the clause in his contract to keep him a further season so if he does stay, i dont see us having any issues with his salary - Klopp is always keen to find ways to get him involved. That wont stop Klopp from planning for the future - if anything it might aid it if stories of Lewis being promoted to being our only back up LB in the squad are true as we know Milner can do a job there if required.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
@JustHitMyHead @Iluvatar @Anfield rd Dreamer

You can have your own opinion of course and hope we will go on and sign de Ligt, Dyballa or players in the price category between them.

But when I’m reading quotes of Klopp saying we won’t spend as big as we did last year - I think that’s exactly what is going to happen. Makes sense to me because we are having a great season again. Improved and still have the potential to improve.
Klopp's comments are as to be expected. He will always talk down spending - even if he had agreed deals for world breaking deals for Mbappe, de Ligt etc

I think his comments can also be interpreted in different ways - it isnt clear whether he is referencing the sum total of spending, matching the amounts spent on each individual, their importance to the team (i.e nailed on starter upon arrival) or in terms of their reputations before coming here.

I think you are right we are unlikely to spend as much as last year - as others have pointed out there isnt the percieved need to spend on immediate starters as we've had another good CL run and doing well in the league with this group of players, and thats probably where most of the cost comes in. And, Klopp rewards loyalty and hard work so wont simply upgrade because the option is there - he has to feel it is necessary.

However, our squad is quite thin, so we might find we spend a lot on a larger number of players that we do normally under Klopp to address that, or even for a small number of young players with a high potential that are willing to wait and earn their opportunity to become regular starters. I dont see players like de Ligt or Dyballa falling into either of these catergories.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
lol Sorry for that.

On a serious note - we should never forget what Klopp is able to do with his new signings. He could replace Ings, Solanke, Sturridge and Origi with a £25m player and turn him into something better than what City have on bench (Jesus/Mahrez).

Same goes for the CB position as many are suggesting that we should replace Matip or Lovren. Many are hoping for a +£50m CB. Maybe we would get around £30m for Lovren and Klopp would bring in a replacement for £25m - not unrealistic / no problem because Klopp could turn that player into the next World Cup winning CB.
I dont think we will get £30m for Lovren. If we are trying to shift him because he is never fit, and makes huge gaffs while paying him a huge wage - who is going to cough up that kind of money for him?

I can see him and Matip here next season - unless they want to leave.

GermanRed

I dont think we will get £30m for Lovren. If we are trying to shift him because he is never fit, and makes huge gaffs while paying him a huge wage - who is going to cough up that kind of money for him?

I can see him and Matip here next season - unless they want to leave.
I also think that they both will be here next season but Edwards could do his magic and get something close to £30m for Lovren.

Still not 30. 2 years left on his contract. Played in a EL final, CL final, World Cup final. That’s experience. The fact that he speaks croatian, English, german and French could also help. We are playing the most intense football in the most intense league. Lovren would have 3 good years left somewhere else. Barca, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, some Italian or French clubs would pay £+25m for him.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Makes no sense to me at all. Firstly we are still carrying players like Henderson Moreno Sturridge and Origi and have nobody coming through that is of a standard needed to replace them outright. Henderson is good but look at what Fabinho as done in that role already in half a season really cos first half he hardly played that in itself shows what can be bought.
You write as if we wont be looking to strengthen the squad in the summer and instead will be offering Moreno and Studge new contracts to not play. If we are able to land our preferred targets this window then we should see a substantial strengthening next season. No one is disuputing the squad needs strengthening.

There are always multiple views on how we should approach transfers - for example do we buy big to come in as starters or do we go with what we have and strengthen the back up options. Each window we will usually see a mixture happening, but maybe not this season. I disagree that we are carrying Hendo - I thnk he warrants a place in our regular match day squad on ability and is easily good enough for most games we play. We are fortunate to have Fabinho who is one of the best players we could wish for at the club.

2nd point is why would we not go buy top quality when you look at the improvement Van Dijk and Alisson have brought to our defence its high time some of that quality was added to aid attack and creativity in midfield. ManCity even if we win the league will push us close and do we think they will not go buy some top players. Manu will spend big be it for Ole or someone else as manager.
We already have similar quality in attack. What we lack is cover to give players a rest - like our full back spots. Midfield is good enough for what we need at the moment. No doubt it will be upgraded if the opportunity presents itself but i dont see it being as big a priority as full backs and our attack depth at the moment.

We can not rest on our performances this season because here are facts we went out of both domestic cups very easily and while that is acceptable this season due to a lack of squad depth and priority of Europe and the league. It can not carry on that way. Manu have just been knocked out of the FA cup in a quarter final and are still in the Champions League and have climbed up the league to be in with a good shout for top 4 all in a very poor season by their standards. This is what great teams do they go far in all competitions and win a few of them by doing so. Liverpool need more quality to push the quality we have into fighting for places. Salah Mane Firmino Fabinho Robertson Van Dijk Gomez Trent Alisson are all guaranteed picks if fit and well that leaves 2 midfield spots to fight for between Winjaldum Milner Henderson and Keita this is the only area we have that is not fixed and it could go to only 1 position if Keita steps up and becomes the player we hope. But the point is in having these players that are guarantee picks always means nobody is pushing them on to stay as good as they can be. They have no worries about starting and that has to change. Only way to do that is buy better players to compete for the same positions.
We were unlucky to go out against Chelsea - but lets not also forget they were playing their best football of the season at that time and were talked about as a possible challenger for the top two league spots.

Against Wolves, we had a lot of injuries that meant we had no choice but to field a weakened side. A much changed side will always find it difficult to play together. Wolves just edged that game.

Worth noting that the same team wallopped Utd yesterday. Both Arsenal, Chelsea who they played in previous rounds were not particularly good. City have found progression easy in the 4 trophies because they have faced little competition having lower league opposition for most of the competitions so far.

Andrew Beasley or Dan Kennett did some stats earlier this year i think showing that early exits of domestic cups helped teams in their challenge for CL and league. It's rare that clubs can challenge for all four so comfortably - but again lots not forget that City have pretty much not faced any quality sides and have had decisions go in their favour (much like Utd did when they won the Europa League a couple of seasons ago (in addition to them having a squad built on financial doping - an option not available to us).

Please can you use paragraphs in future to make your posts easier to read. Thanks.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The very fact we have to field weakened teams at all means our squad needs to be improved that is the point. ManCity can put out a completely different starting 11 and it will still be full of international regulars and world class players along with top quality prospects. This is why they have won a domestic cup already are through to the semi finals of another are through to the quarters in the Champions League and are in the lead in the title race. This is where we need to be as a squad and as a team or do you think the likes of Clyne Ejaria and Wilson coming back suddenly makes us a force on all fronts?
The very fact that Man City are being investigated for FFP and massively overspending to build up their squad,when they don't make enough money to warrant that type of spending,is why they can field a 2nd 11 with international regulars,world class players and top youth.Yeah we want to get our squad to a similar quality but i don't want us to break rules and cheat to get to that level.I'm starting to dislike Man City being used as a benchmark

We need to prioritise competitions and field weakened teams in the so called lesser cups and save our first team for the competitions that give us the biggest benefits right now,while we are trying to build the team on the pitch and the club financially of it.We are building our squad slowly and sensibly,within FFP and within our budget.

We have the bulk of our top players signed up for the future but they are competing right now,we still have room to get better and places to make stronger,which makes looking forward to the next few seasons even more exciting,cos Man city being our main rivals and i'd say the finished article,in regards to squad size and quality,we have much more room to add to our squad and quality and we are competing with them already.

It's not about the amount of cash we spend,it's about getting the right players in,so for Klopp to say we won't spend like we did last year,i get that,we've got some great players here now,the GK/Defense and forwards are sorted,we just need to sort out the midfield and add a few more quality players to the squad.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I agree with this - what I've seen from Fulham fans is that the transfer rumours have died down about him because he has been percieved as struggling in the PL. Frankly no one has looled good in that team.

I'm of the opinion that we could go in for him quickly and quietly following Fulham's relegation and take advantage of hesitation from other teams who appear to be being overly criticial of an 18 year old in the PL.

I think given 6 months or so he could be a great option as an outlet on the left wing and hopefully develop into either a quality winger or develop his defensive game to become a wing back. He has far more potential than our options for LW/LB in the U23s (Lewis, Millar, Juanma, Johnston, Kent)
Contract till 2020 so he would be for sale this summer (stalling on a new deal also).

Your original assertion was that we were kicked out of both domestic cups “very easily”; I’m merely stating that that is far from correct.

I agree with you that the squad needs strengthening but we aren’t like Man City (and others)- we can’t afford to entice players with £100k a week or more just to get splinters up their arse.
We pay James milner Lovren and Lallana that money and only one is of use in a season and he is aged and looks leggy. We are far better off next season due to financial growth our stadium extension finally paying its way extra sponsors and the now regular tv rights and latter stages of the Champions League money. We can afford to pay 100k or more to players who will not get splinters because they will be used far more regular due to the quality they bring. If we go buy big in key positions that puts a midfielder like Winjaldum on our bench more it puts 1 of Firmino or Salah or Mane on the bench more meaning we can actually rest players and not weaken our squad. You do understand that is the point of building a squad.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
We should buy a massive money tree so we can spend like they do over there at shiteh,we simply can't afford to spend big in every position because we play by the rules and don't have a nations wealth being disturbingly wasted by some tyrant owners.

W
The very fact that Man City are being investigated for FFP and massively overspending to build up their squad,when they don't make enough money to warrant that type of spending,is why they can field a 2nd 11 with international regulars,world class players and top youth.Yeah we want to get our squad to a similar quality but i don't want us to break rules and cheat to get to that level.I'm starting to dislike Man City being used as a benchmark

We need to prioritise competitions and field weakened teams in the so called lesser cups and save our first team for the competitions that give us the biggest benefits right now,while we are trying to build the team on the pitch and the club financially of it.We are building our squad slowly and sensibly,within FFP and within our budget.

We have the bulk of our top players signed up for the future but they are competing right now,we still have room to get better and places to make stronger,which makes looking forward to the next few seasons even more exciting,cos Man city being our main rivals and i'd say the finished article,in regards to squad size and quality,we have much more room to add to our squad and quality and we are competing with them already.

It's not about the amount of cash we spend,it's about getting the right players in,so for Klopp to say we won't spend like we did last year,i get that,we've got some great players here now,the GK/Defense and forwards are sorted,we just need to sort out the midfield and add a few more quality players to the squad.
Who said anything about breaking rules? We are earning more than last year. We as a club have done it all the right way big spending mainly done on transfer money achieved from sales and the actual club profit being put into stadium improvement and wage increases. We can now take that extra step to add even more quality. And let me just say if Moreno Sturridge Milner Lovren and Lallana were to go this next window that is close to 600k a wk in wages saved so tell me why it is hard to see maybe 2 players of 200k a wk standard coming in and the others on 100k. Rabiot is on a free if we get him so Milners wage would cover him bar bonuses. This is why clearing players on big wages that can be improved upon is the first process.

Leeds brought Milner onto the big stage as a 16 year old, not Southampton. I can see an argument as to why he may wish to move there - but i've only seen assumptions being made by fans - has Milner said anything on this? Milner has said before he wanted to keep his family in the North because they were settled, so i dont see him going to places like Southampton.

If Milner does go, it's pretty unlikely we will be getting a fee for him - given his age and salary. We've already as far as i understand it activated the clause in his contract to keep him a further season so if he does stay, i dont see us having any issues with his salary - Klopp is always keen to find ways to get him involved. That wont stop Klopp from planning for the future - if anything it might aid it if stories of Lewis being promoted to being our only back up LB in the squad are true as we know Milner can do a job there if required.
If required being the optimum word. If have Lewis and actually buy a CB who can play RB or LB then that part of Milners game becomes void. And instead we can use him as a midfielder but with Ox coming back Keita hopefully coming good and fabinho and Winjaldum becoming hard to discount as a first choice it puts a 33yr old with only bit parts to play on a high wage at a disadvantage and these are the decisions that need making if we are to improve quality but stick to FFP rules. Paying Milner a big wage to be 5th choice midfielder is not a good plan. The wage saved alone would help get in a top player. Maybe Milner does want to stay but is that likely when he is seeing Fabinho and Keita bought knowing their 2nd season here will be the time they should be used more regular. Our midfield right now is not good enough for us to just sit and admire it. The front 3 are and the CB pairing of Van Dijk and Gomez are along with the fullback pairing of Robertson and Trent are and the goalkeeper Alisson is. Something has to change in that midfield that improves its creativity and its all round quality. Fabinho is the start of this improvement along with Keita if he can find his true form but we still have Henderson Milner and Lallana who as good as they are on their day Winjaldum is by far and away better. Ox is far better when fit. Milner is the only one out of those 3 that shows any sort of form regular but he always looks leggy at backend of a season which is understandable being 33yrs old but it just means we need to plan for the future and that means hard decisions and losing very good players to hopefully get top quality ones. Or do you fully expect us to improve just as we are? Coutinho went and left a gap that has never been filled and you can say we have improved as a squad all you want because that improvement has 2 things to it and they are Van Dijk and Alisson making that defensive wall so solid nothing is going in and the fact it is so strong it is allowing Trent and Robertson to be so attacking and creative that it only boosts the attacking 3 even more. But had Coutinho stayed and we got Van Dijk and Alisson then maybe we would be still 7 points ahead in the league having been able to unlock a defense better or scored from direct freekicks more often a creative presence in the middle is important in games that are not working out well. This is why Ox is such a huge miss. So if we are to not break FFS rules how are we to improve this midfield if not actually sell some of the players we have there already?

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
W

Who said anything about breaking rules? We are earning more than last year. We as a club have done it all the right way big spending mainly done on transfer money achieved from sales and the actual club profit being put into stadium improvement and wage increases. We can now take that extra step to add even more quality. And let me just say if Moreno Sturridge Milner Lovren and Lallana were to go this next window that is close to 600k a wk in wages saved so tell me why it is hard to see maybe 2 players of 200k a wk standard coming in and the others on 100k. Rabiot is on a free if we get him so Milners wage would cover him bar bonuses. This is why clearing players on big wages that can be improved upon is the first process.

I wasn't saying you said anything about breaking rules,BUT you used Man City as a reference point to how our squad should be of better quality and competing on all 4 fronts like them,they are only able to do that because they are breaking rules.

We took that extra step last summer spending almost £170mill on Fabinho,Kieta,Alisson and Shaqiri,yes we've probably increased revenue's across every department but that doesn't mean we'll spend like we did last summer again.Klopp will spend what he feels is right to spend,end of story.Just like in january windows when peeps lose their shit because he doesn't buy players,he'll spend what he needs to build up his squad,HIS way,not how the fans think he should.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Use paragraphs fella paragraphs....otherwise people will simply start ignoring your posts because it requires too much effort to read them.

If required being the optimum word. If have Lewis and actually buy a CB who can play RB or LB then that part of Milners game becomes void. And instead we can use him as a midfielder but with Ox coming back Keita hopefully coming good and fabinho and Winjaldum becoming hard to discount as a first choice it puts a 33yr old with only bit parts to play on a high wage at a disadvantage and these are the decisions that need making if we are to improve quality but stick to FFP rules. Paying Milner a big wage to be 5th choice midfielder is not a good plan. The wage saved alone would help get in a top player.
We are comfortably within our FFP limits so dont need to move Milner on to meet it, especially with all the outgoings expected this summer. Whether the wage we save from moving Milner on is enough for a top player depends on your definition of a top player - and also ignores the cost in transfer fees it would cost to sign that top player. Milner being on a big wage for one last season isnt a problem for us financially and wont stop us from signing any players we deem important to the clubs future. As i've already mentioned, the club appeared to have made up their minds and activated the extension clause in the contract.

Maybe Milner does want to stay but is that likely when he is seeing Fabinho and Keita bought knowing their 2nd season here will be the time they should be used more regular. Our midfield right now is not good enough for us to just sit and admire it. The front 3 are and the CB pairing of Van Dijk and Gomez are along with the fullback pairing of Robertson and Trent are and the goalkeeper Alisson is. Something has to change in that midfield that improves its creativity and its all round quality.
Yes, it is likely - he would have known that his playing time would become more limited given the increased competition for places, but he enjoys it at the club and the challenge in fighting for that starting place - it's noticeable that he has been one of the regular starters when everyone is fit. I am sure that Klopp would only seek to keep him here if he wants to stay - and that discussion would have happened when the decision to extend his contract was taken. The position of course may change - for example if Leeds are promoted and really want him to join them..... but there is nothing at the moment to indicate that is really the case.

Fabinho is the start of this improvement along with Keita if he can find his true form but we still have Henderson Milner and Lallana who as good as they are on their day Winjaldum is by far and away better. Ox is far better when fit. Milner is the only one out of those 3 that shows any sort of form regular but he always looks leggy at backend of a season which is understandable being 33yrs old but it just means we need to plan for the future and that means hard decisions and losing very good players to hopefully get top quality ones.
You are right he does become more leggy as the season draws on - because he is playing much more frequently in the first half of the season than anyone would expect him to...with Fabinho now motoring in midfield and hopefully Keita too, he can maintain his high standards throughout a whole season.

Or do you fully expect us to improve just as we are?
I believe the squad will improve significantly even if we do not bring additional players for the midfield area. We rely heavily on having our first choice full backs and forwards fit - improving the quality in depth in those areas will do more for us than making changes in midfield. Especially when we are yet to see how Ox is when he comes back.

Coutinho went and left a gap that has never been filled and you can say we have improved as a squad all you want because that improvement has 2 things to it and they are Van Dijk and Alisson making that defensive wall so solid nothing is going in and the fact it is so strong it is allowing Trent and Robertson to be so attacking and creative that it only boosts the attacking 3 even more. But had Coutinho stayed and we got Van Dijk and Alisson then maybe we would be still 7 points ahead in the league having been able to unlock a defense better or scored from direct freekicks more often a creative presence in the middle is important in games that are not working out well. This is why Ox is such a huge miss.
I liked Coutinho, but i think too much is made of his ability. Sure, if he was still here then we might be doing better - but that is because he would be providing additional depth - possibly to our forward line rather than midfield, which is where Klopp usually preferred him playing for us. But then so might have Fekir had we signed him last summer as planned. I'm not sure i see Ox and Coutinho as similar types of player.

So if we are to not break FFS rules how are we to improve this midfield if not actually sell some of the players we have there already?
We dont need to sell the players to improve the midfield, (as i've already said we are unlikely to sell Milner - if he goes it probably will be on a free transfer - so it's not bringing any additional money in). I think our midfield is already pretty good, so it's not a priority area for me and i think the 'lack of creativity' argument is over played. Work on the training pitch and the return to fitness of several attacking midfielders may be sufficient to address that issue.

We are still yet to see how Ox comes back from injury, If Lallana can stay fit for more than a couple of weeks, if Naby can continue his improvement and maybe Jones will have a role to play next season also.

Klopp likes to have only relatively small changes to the squad because of the time and effort he puts in to getting players ready. If we are looking to adding 4-5 players in to the defensive and forward line it makes it difficult to see him bringing in a midfielder too (albeit not impossible). Again with Milner though, it isnt just about numbers but what Klopp values in his character.

I wasn't saying you said anything about breaking rules,BUT you used Man City as a reference point to how our squad should be of better quality and competing on all 4 fronts like them,they are only able to do that because they are breaking rules.

We took that extra step last summer spending almost £170mill on Fabinho,Kieta,Alisson and Shaqiri,yes we've probably increased revenue's across every department but that doesn't mean we'll spend like we did last summer again.Klopp will spend what he feels is right to spend,end of story.Just like in january windows when peeps lose their shit because he doesn't buy players,he'll spend what he needs to build up his squad,HIS way,not how the fans think he should.
Firstly ManCity if found guilty will be punished but the fact they achieved this team in a wrong way does not take away what a team that good can do. This is still the squad depth full of quality we should be aiming for is it not? So why bring up how they achieved it when we can get there above board. Keita was a signing from the previous year fella all be it not officially signed til this season but do not go using him as a reason we spent big because we sold Coutiniho to be able to spend big.what is the point in spending big on a defender and keeper if you are not going to back it up with improvements in other areas? The very difference these 2 big money signings have made should tell you what can be achieved if we do the same again in other positions. We are a top team again and playing some exciting football but do not make the mistake of thinking we can not improve the squad because we clearly can.

Use paragraphs fella paragraphs....otherwise people will simply start ignoring your posts because it requires too much effort to read them.

We are comfortably within our FFP limits so dont need to move Milner on to meet it, especially with all the outgoings expected this summer. Whether the wage we save from moving Milner on is enough for a top player depends on your definition of a top player - and also ignores the cost in transfer fees it would cost to sign that top player. Milner being on a big wage for one last season isnt a problem for us financially and wont stop us from signing any players we deem important to the clubs future. As i've already mentioned, the club appeared to have made up their minds and activated the extension clause in the contract.

Yes, it is likely - he would have known that his playing time would become more limited given the increased competition for places, but he enjoys it at the club and the challenge in fighting for that starting place - it's noticeable that he has been one of the regular starters when everyone is fit. I am sure that Klopp would only seek to keep him here if he wants to stay - and that discussion would have happened when the decision to extend his contract was taken. The position of course may change - for example if Leeds are promoted and really want him to join them..... but there is nothing at the moment to indicate that is really the case.

You are right he does become more leggy as the season draws on - because he is playing much more frequently in the first half of the season than anyone would expect him to...with Fabinho now motoring in midfield and hopefully Keita too, he can maintain his high standards throughout a whole season.

I believe the squad will improve significantly even if we do not bring additional players for the midfield area. We rely heavily on having our first choice full backs and forwards fit - improving the quality in depth in those areas will do more for us than making changes in midfield. Especially when we are yet to see how Ox is when he comes back.

I liked Coutinho, but i think too much is made of his ability. Sure, if he was still here then we might be doing better - but that is because he would be providing additional depth - possibly to our forward line rather than midfield, which is where Klopp usually preferred him playing for us. But then so might have Fekir had we signed him last summer as planned. I'm not sure i see Ox and Coutinho as similar types of player.

We dont need to sell the players to improve the midfield, (as i've already said we are unlikely to sell Milner - if he goes it probably will be on a free transfer - so it's not bringing any additional money in). I think our midfield is already pretty good, so it's not a priority area for me and i think the 'lack of creativity' argument is over played. Work on the training pitch and the return to fitness of several attacking midfielders may be sufficient to address that issue.

We are still yet to see how Ox comes back from injury, If Lallana can stay fit for more than a couple of weeks, if Naby can continue his improvement and maybe Jones will have a role to play next season also.

Klopp likes to have only relatively small changes to the squad because of the time and effort he puts in to getting players ready. If we are looking to adding 4-5 players in to the defensive and forward line it makes it difficult to see him bringing in a midfielder too (albeit not impossible). Again with Milner though, it isnt just about numbers but what Klopp values in his character.
Why would we need 4 or 5 players in defence and attack 2 attackers with a mix of striker winger and striker AM and a CB is only 3 players in for Sturridge Origi and Lovren midfield could still be improved dramatically.

Transfer fee would not be an issue to replace milner as Rabiot is out of contract so would be a similar deal to Milner himself when we signed him difference being Rabiot is 23 not 29. Many ways for Klopp to improve the very thing that is causing issue in this team and to say it is not an issue is just poor.

We get nothing like the goals and assists we should be getting from our midfield and this is why we struggle when our attacking 3 are either not on it or a team is so well organised it blocks their ability to be dangerous. We end up dominating a game while looking toothless and this needs to stop. We need more than one way of playing.

All well and good having 2 of the best wing backs on the planet creating everything but when teams make us play narrow we have nothing creative there.

The Infamous

I want Origi to stay he can be useful on the left or through the middle

Still have room for a first choice back up striker/winger as well

I want Origi to stay he can be useful on the left or through the middle

Still have room for a first choice back up striker/winger as well
The point is to bring in a player of far better quality and far more use to push Firmino Salah and Mane. Origi only starts when Mane or Salah or Firmino are injured or need rest. A far better quality player offers up the choice of more players rather than knowing who is playing and the only decision that needs taking is when one is unavailable.

Had we got Fekir do you think he would not of been used and allowed Firmino Salah or Mane to be benched bit more keeping them far fresher than has been the case? This is what we lack with Origi Sturridge and did with Solanke. None are good enough to warrant a place ahead of our front 3 and that has to change.