• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Replacing Sturridge is replacing someone who's on the bench so no need for a top top player to replace him and he's hardly light years ahead of Brewster unless you're talking age.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Woodburn got those assurances also pal so they are not worth the dodgy rumour they are placed on.
But different. Brewster was on the point of leaving, before he signed a new contract off the back of those assurances. Klopp has made a point of making sure he is considered a first team player whenever the subject comes up.

But if you think Brewster is good enough to replace the gap Sturridge leaves then you are on something.
Two things.
1) My point was not that he is or isn’t good enough, but that these definitive statements on who is or isn’t ready are worthless. Klopp is the judge of that, and if he thinks he is ready he will be trusted. Your opinion, and mine, is based on very little. We’ve seen little of him play, we don’t really know what he is capable of.

My gut feeling is that he will make his debut before the end of the season, and if not he’ll play a big part in pre-season.

2) it would be a good idea to be a bit more respectful of other posters. Saying people with a different opinion to you are ‘on sonething’ is not welcome. Especially sonething as subjective as football players.

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Think the big question is will we bring in one or two attacking minded (#8, AM, Winger, CF...) players in the summer? The current form of Lallana and Origi and the trust they receive could suggest that we might only bring in one player for the final third of the pitch.

On the other hand - if they can keep their form until the end of the season we might get up to 45m for them combined.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Think the big question is will we bring in one or two attacking minded (#8, AM, Winger, CF...) players in the summer? The current form of Lallana and Origi and the trust they receive could suggest that we might only bring in one player for the final third of the pitch.

On the other hand - if they can keep their form until the end of the season we might get up to 45m for them combined.
I would be concerned if we only brought one in. I don't see Origi or Shakiri as long term options and we may already be faced with a re haul of our CB and midfield if Milner, Lallana are still here next season.

That's before knowing whether any youngsters can step up next year or a regular player gets an offer that sees him wanting to go.

Limiescouse

My gut feeling is that he will make his debut before the end of the season, and if not he’ll play a big part in pre-season.
I'll be stunned if Brewster gets minutes this season. In part because maybe because of the circumstances, and in part because it just seems far more of an accelerated timeline than Klopp has spoken about.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I'll be stunned if Brewster gets minutes this season. In part because maybe because of the circumstances, and in part because it just seems far more of an accelerated timeline than Klopp has spoken about.
Last game of the season, we're four points clear at the top, cruising 5-0 at home to a Wolves side already on the beach... it could happen ;)

GermanRed

I would be concerned if we only brought one in. I don't see Origi or Shakiri as long term options and we may already be faced with a re haul of our CB and midfield if Milner, Lallana are still here next season.

That's before knowing whether any youngsters can step up next year or a regular player gets an offer that sees him wanting to go.
Agree with you. Sell Lallana and Origi for combined +₤40m and bring in Brandt (release clause ₤20m) and Jovic for example for around ₤70m combined and we'll have an attack that can win all 4 trophies in a season.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Versatility is a nice thing but i don't think it is a main criteria for a Klopp type of player. Jovic is fast enough to play also on the wing and according to Transfermarkt he can play winger. More importantly - he has the right intensity in his game, he is mobile and he has the work rate to play under Klopp.

--------Jovic--------
Mané Firmino Salah

Why would he sit on bench?
Because of Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain? Klopp will give them every chance to prove their fitness and quality. After all, he's invested about 90 million pounds in them in transfer fees alone.

GermanRed

Because of Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain? Klopp will give them every chance to prove their fitness and quality. After all, he's invested about 90 million pounds in them in transfer fees alone.
-------Jovic--------
Mané Firmino Salah
Wijnaldum Fabinho

That was our lineup on Saturday against Spurs.

Three days later against Dortmund we start with

Mané Firmino Salah
Keita Fabinho Ox

:well done:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Food for thought for the likes of Werner and Brandt.. Why would you go Bayern, they are in need of a serious overhaul in all areas.
You’ve just made a compelling reason for them to be there as opposed to coming over to warm our bench.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
You’ve just made a compelling reason for them to be there as opposed to coming over to warm our bench.
You're assuming that's what they'd be doing. Given Salah (and Firmino's) current lack of form in front of goal, wouldn't it be a bit nice to be able to take them out of the firing line for a match or two and have someone of similar quality come in for a bit to share the load, as opposed to the cliff drop we see going from them to the likes of Origi or Sturridge?

Similarly, it'd probably be motivational for our front three to know that their place on the pitch isn't absolutely completely nailed on guaranteed as it is now, and have a bit of competition on their hands.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Maybe not a "likely" purchase but seems Griezmann is available for around £100 million tops this summer and no longer happy at Atletico. As an incredible option at LF and CF in 433 or SS and CF in 4231 he'd be so perfect for us even at 28.
Doesnt surprise me, their team is ageing quite a bit now and has been in need of a rebuild for a little while. It would be interesting to see if they also lose their manager in this summer's merry go round.

Limiescouse

Doesnt surprise me, their team is ageing quite a bit now and has been in need of a rebuild for a little while. It would be interesting to see if they also lose their manager in this summer's merry go round.
He recently committed long term to them. But then so did Griezmann in the summer as well.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Where was the money coming from for Fekir then? Almost signed so we clearly could afford him. And all before financial details of previous year came out. We could earn more this season than last barring Coutinho money if we actually win the league or Champions league. But even if not we will still be earning big due to new sponsorship deals and bigger tv rights and......
I'm not sure i fully understand your point here but that may be because it appears to have been cut off when you were writing it.

The Fekir money came from whatever money the club had remaining after it's other expenditures were taken care of. Much of our spending during Klopp's time here has come from selling players and i expect that will be the case for future purchases too. Some money appears to have been budgeted for Fekir and not spent - hence why in my earlier post to you i included it in my breakdown of why i think there may be about £150m available for spending before any further sales are made.

Increased revenues from improved commercial deals are unlikely to boost transfer funds for another year or two at least. Most if not all the money from last year's Champion's league run has already been spent and revenues from this year's Champion's League income probably wont be as much given the presence of the other english clubs splitting some of the country specific shared revenues. We've also substantially increased the wages of several of our first team players in addition to paying off loans on the new stand and the training ground.

And let me just say if Moreno Sturridge Milner Lovren and Lallana were to go this next window that is close to 600k a wk in wages saved so tell me why it is hard to see maybe 2 players of 200k a wk standard coming in and the others on 100k. Rabiot is on a free if we get him so Milners wage would cover him bar bonuses. This is why clearing players on big wages that can be improved upon is the first process.
Because thats not how transfers work in the real world?

First incoming players will usually expect a healthy signing on fee, not just a wage - we paid Milner for example i think between £8m and £12m. Rabiot has reportedly been looking for about £10m in addition to a wage of about £175k. Then there are agents fees. And he is a 'free' transfer. Few players of the quality you are looking for are going to be available on a free.

Second, i dont think the wages you would save adds up to £600k a week. Moreno was never on anything close to £100k a week, Studge's wages would have fallen in the last year of his, Lovren and Lallana's would be about £100k each and probably heavily incentivised - since they havent been playing regularly we wont be paying them the full whack and Lovren will be entering the last year of his contract next season i think. Milner maybe earning the most - £150k perhaps.

Third , if you are moving multiple players out to create funds for buying a fewer number of players you are reducing the depth of the squad at a time when we need an increase in the quality of that depth. Milner alone covers 4 or 5 positions (and is one of the reasons i dont agree that you can simply swap Rabiot for him). Selling Lovren requires us to bring in at least 1 new CB and there is already an argument that we should have 5 CBs rather than the 4 plus Fabinho emergency option because of fitness concerns over Gomez and Matip.

Fourth, unless you are able and willing to offload players such as Wilson, Awonyi, Grujic who are not currently in our first team squad, or youngsters in the first team squad who never play for us for significant sums of money that can cover the cost of a top player it's going to add to our depth issues, not resolve them because each player like Lovren you are selling is probably not going to generate the sums you need to replace them and given their wages are still much higher than a lot of those interested in buying them would pay, we may have to sweeten the deal either with a wage contribution, 'loyalty bonus' or accepting a lower fee.

Finally, you are sending out a message different to what Klopp is trying to cultivate. He isnt going to go out and replace Wijnaldum or Gomez in the first team after the seasons they have had unless it is for another player already in the squad who has had an even better one. To get players loyalty and willingness to run themselves into the ground for the team's cause, you dont simply bin them off to bring in a shiny new player.

Saying all the above - i am not averse to selling Lovren and/or Lallana. I just think it unlikely that even if we do we can go gung ho in the transfer window on so few players. Our current first team squad has 29 players, but 8 havent played in the league this year - 2 keepers and 6 young outfielders. 2 seniors leaving on a free in the summer leaving us with only 19 players, 5 or 6 of whom have questions about their long term fitness. Obviously, if those on loan, or too young to feature this season may be good enough to take up a spot next season on ability then we may not have a problem - but i personally wouldnt want to risk it.

Replacing Sturridge is replacing someone who's on the bench so no need for a top top player to replace him and he's hardly light years ahead of Brewster unless you're talking age.
So your idea to build a better team is to get rid of players who are only bench warmers because they are not good enough and replace them with players that are not that good? Thank god your not in charge.

To build a squad you get rid of the dead wood and replace it with far better than what you have or at the very least equal quality to your best that way those extra quality players you just buy push others who are good solid squad members into backup.Thus improving the starting 11 and the bench with one replacement of a player.

If Jota or Werner is bought that improves our starting 11 especially if Firmino is then used alternatively to our new striker or even if he is then used behind the striker as a 10. Because to use both would mean likes of Winjaldum or Ox are on our bench more meaning a far better bench than having the choice of only Henderson on it.

Better players push regular starters to the bench making the starting 11 better and the bench this is how you improve a squad.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Jota and Werner aren't pushing anybody to our bench, they'd be taking the spot themselves. If we're going to change formation to accommodate players it should be the likes of Griezmann as posted earlier, not players of lesser quality than what is currently in our first 11. I'd take Naby, Gini or Chamberlain and the 433 any day.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
So your idea to build a better team is to get rid of players who are only bench warmers because they are not good enough and replace them with players that are not that good? Thank god your not in charge.

To build a squad you get rid of the dead wood and replace it with far better than what you have or at the very least equal quality to your best that way those extra quality players you just buy push others who are good solid squad members into backup.Thus improving the starting 11 and the bench with one replacement of a player.

If Jota or Werner is bought that improves our starting 11 especially if Firmino is then used alternatively to our new striker or even if he is then used behind the striker as a 10. Because to use both would mean likes of Winjaldum or Ox are on our bench more meaning a far better bench than having the choice of only Henderson on it.

Better players push regular starters to the bench making the starting 11 better and the bench this is how you improve a squad.
Not a top top player doesn't mean not that good,Mane wasn't a top top player,or Salah,or Robertson,you see you don't to spunk money everywhere.

I'm not sure i fully understand your point here but that may be because it appears to have been cut off when you were writing it.

The Fekir money came from whatever money the club had remaining after it's other expenditures were taken care of. Much of our spending during Klopp's time here has come from selling players and i expect that will be the case for future purchases too. Some money appears to have been budgeted for Fekir and not spent - hence why in my earlier post to you i included it in my breakdown of why i think there may be about £150m available for spending before any further sales are made.

Increased revenues from improved commercial deals are unlikely to boost transfer funds for another year or two at least. Most if not all the money from last year's Champion's league run has already been spent and revenues from this year's Champion's League income probably wont be as much given the presence of the other english clubs splitting some of the country specific shared revenues. We've also substantially increased the wages of several of our first team players in addition to paying off loans on the new stand and the training ground.

First incoming players will usually expect a healthy signing on fee, not just a wage - we paid Milner for example i think between £8m and £12m. Rabiot has reportedly been looking for about £10m in addition to a wage of about £175k. Then there are agents fees. And he is a 'free' transfer. Few players of the quality you are looking for are going to be available on a free.

Second, i dont think the wages you would save adds up to £600k a week. Moreno was never on anything close to £100k a week, Studge's wages would have fallen in the last year of his, Lovren and Lallana's would be about £100k each and probably heavily incentivised - since they havent been playing regularly we wont be paying them the full whack and Lovren will be entering the last year of his contract next season i think. Milner maybe earning the most - £150k perhaps.

Third , if you are moving multiple players out to create funds for buying a fewer number of players you are reducing the depth of the squad at a time when we need an increase in the quality of that depth. Milner alone covers 4 or 5 positions (and is one of the reasons i dont agree that you can simply swap Rabiot for him). Selling Lovren requires us to bring in at least 1 new CB and there is already an argument that we should have 5 CBs rather than the 4 plus Fabinho emergency option because of fitness concerns over Gomez and Matip.

Fourth, unless you are able and willing to offload players such as Wilson, Awonyi, Grujic who are not currently in our first team squad, or youngsters in the first team squad who never play for us for significant sums of money that can cover the cost of a top player it's going to add to our depth issues, not resolve them because each player like Lovren you are selling is probably not going to generate the sums you need to replace them and given their wages are still much higher than a lot of those interested in buying them would pay, we may have to sweeten the deal either with a wage contribution, 'loyalty bonus' or accepting a lower fee.

Finally, you are sending out a message different to what Klopp is trying to cultivate. He isnt going to go out and replace Wijnaldum or Gomez in the first team after the seasons they have had unless it is for another player already in the squad who has had an even better one. To get players loyalty and willingness to run themselves into the ground for the team's cause, you dont simply bin them off to bring in a shiny new player.

Saying all the above - i am not averse to selling Lovren and/or Lallana. I just think it unlikely that even if we do we can go gung ho in the transfer window on so few players. Our current first team squad has 29 players, but 8 havent played in the league this year - 2 keepers and 6 young outfielders. 2 seniors leaving on a free in the summer leaving us with only 19 players, 5 or 6 of whom have questions about their long term fitness. Obviously, if those on loan, or too young to feature this season may be good enough to take up a spot next season on ability then we may not have a problem - but i personally wouldnt want to risk it.
If a CB was bought to replace Lovren and he could play LB RB and CB tgen that covers part of Milners appeal and Fabinho covers the other parts already as he xan play CB or RB besides CM and DM so using Milner's positional versatility is mad. Yes he is great but he is 33yrs old and not getting any younger.

The fact he is on around 140k a wk is exactly why Rabiot is ideal even with the sweetners and fees where else are you going to find a 23yr old of that quality and only pay around 12 mil? as for my sums not adding to around 600k a wk wages saved milner 140k Lovren and Lallana 100k and 110k Moreno 65k Sturridge 130k Origi 45k all adds up to around 590k a wk if all those are off our books.

The Infamous

Luka Jovic - if he choses his next club and manager wisely - will be the best european CF in 1-2 years. Surely not looking like a one season wonder.
Watched Ligue 1 extensively once 2015 he was a wonder kid like emre can mixed with verratti hadn’t heard from rabiot for atleast 3 years I thought he was a dud and stagnated. He has potential to be a bootleg Gerrard.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Rabiot appears to be a massive pain in the arse. Given the fact we don't need what he offers I don't know why we'd go anywhere near him.

Out of all the names loosely linked recently I'd be happy with Sessegnon, Brandt and Bergwijn and calling it a day there. 3 good young players who fill various gaps in our squad (LB option, #8, both wide positions). Loads of pace. Then there's Brewster and Chamberlain to come back into contention.

Nothing heroic, nothing overly expensive or lavish, just good business with an eye on the future and more trust in the current squad than some people in this thread appear to have. Could also replace Lovren with somebody younger who has a better fitness record, but the likelihood is Lovren will be in a better position to contribute next season as he won't be returning from a WC injured, so that's not a big priority for me.

The Infamous

Rabiot appears to be a massive pain in the arse. Given the fact we don't need what he offers I don't know why we'd go anywhere near him.

Out of all the names loosely linked recently I'd be happy with Sessegnon, Brandt and Bergwijn and calling it a day there. 3 good young players who fill various gaps in our squad (LB option, #8, both wide positions). Loads of pace. Then there's Brewster and Chamberlain to come back into contention.

Nothing heroic, nothing overly expensive or lavish, just good business with an eye on the future and more trust in the current squad than some people in this thread appear to have. Could also replace Lovren with somebody younger who has a better fitness record, but the likelihood is Lovren will be in a better position to contribute next season as he won't be returning from a WC injured, so that's not a big priority for me.
Mane and Salah as strikers depending on form?

And your point about Klopp not going to replace Winjaldum or Gomez with a better player is utter nonesense. What do you think Fabinho has done to Henderson's game time for us compared to last season and he is our Captain.

If Ox had not got badly injured do you not think he would of played regular making someone like Winjaldum reduced to bit part roles all season.You think if Lovren was sold and we bought a quality CB in Gomez would not be replaced as the regular if this player was showing better ability and form.

For someone who likes to use logical replies you seem to not no how football works. You do not build a better squad by only selling players you never used anyway at some point you have to swap good with great and then great with world class. If Moreno is sold and replaced by Lewis is that a bad or good decision? Moreno was of no use anyway so even Lewis can offer the same.

If Lallana is replaced with someone who is so good he demands first team football regularly then the likes of Winjaldum or Milner would be on our bench more thus strengthening our depth by making our bench a far better quality one.

You state that losing 5 or 6 players to only get 2 or 3 top quality players weakens our depth. But how does it? Out of our 25 man squad that is listed how many of them play regular?

When we have players like Moreno Sturridge and Origi even Lovren if Gomez is fit is reduced to bare minimum games. These are all bit part players of far less quality than our regular starters.So replacing them with first team quality or world class strengthens our squad and our bench and allows for our best players to be rested without worry of weakening the team.

Rabiot is class on his day. Sessegnon is a typical over rated player because he is playing in this country and has ability he is now top class apparently. He has not done much this season in the EPL has he? Solanke had a similar rep when we signed him but look at how that worked out. Brandt could be something special but Bayern will get him as usual.same with Havertz unfortunately.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Rabiot is class on his day. Sessegnon is a typical over rated player because he is playing in this country and has ability he is now top class apparently. He has not done much this season in the EPL has he? Solanke had a similar rep when we signed him but look at how that worked out. Brandt could be something special but Bayern will get him as usual.same with Havertz unfortunately.
Solanke didn't have the rep or pedigree of Sessegnon when we signed him, and it actually turned out pretty well. I didn't say he was top class but he's a young player with a lot of potential. He got praised for scoring 16 goals as a 17 year old in the Championship, not for being English. Baseless cliches all over the place. What has Solanke got to do with Sessegnon? Why not mention Sancho, or Sterling, or Kane, or any other good young English player? Judge each player on their merits. Sessegnon not lighting it up in a terrible Fulham side who have had 3 managers is no good reason to ignore his undoubted potential, just as it would have been extremely daft to give up on Sterling after an awful start to 13/14 for him.

Last edited: