• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

The Infamous

Luka Jovic - if he choses his next club and manager wisely - will be the best european CF in 1-2 years. Surely not looking like a one season wonder.
Watched Ligue 1 extensively once 2015 he was a wonder kid like emre can mixed with verratti hadn’t heard from rabiot for atleast 3 years I thought he was a dud and stagnated. He has potential to be a bootleg Gerrard.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Rabiot appears to be a massive pain in the arse. Given the fact we don't need what he offers I don't know why we'd go anywhere near him.

Out of all the names loosely linked recently I'd be happy with Sessegnon, Brandt and Bergwijn and calling it a day there. 3 good young players who fill various gaps in our squad (LB option, #8, both wide positions). Loads of pace. Then there's Brewster and Chamberlain to come back into contention.

Nothing heroic, nothing overly expensive or lavish, just good business with an eye on the future and more trust in the current squad than some people in this thread appear to have. Could also replace Lovren with somebody younger who has a better fitness record, but the likelihood is Lovren will be in a better position to contribute next season as he won't be returning from a WC injured, so that's not a big priority for me.

The Infamous

Rabiot appears to be a massive pain in the arse. Given the fact we don't need what he offers I don't know why we'd go anywhere near him.

Out of all the names loosely linked recently I'd be happy with Sessegnon, Brandt and Bergwijn and calling it a day there. 3 good young players who fill various gaps in our squad (LB option, #8, both wide positions). Loads of pace. Then there's Brewster and Chamberlain to come back into contention.

Nothing heroic, nothing overly expensive or lavish, just good business with an eye on the future and more trust in the current squad than some people in this thread appear to have. Could also replace Lovren with somebody younger who has a better fitness record, but the likelihood is Lovren will be in a better position to contribute next season as he won't be returning from a WC injured, so that's not a big priority for me.
Mane and Salah as strikers depending on form?

I'm not sure i fully understand your point here but that may be because it appears to have been cut off when you were writing it.

The Fekir money came from whatever money the club had remaining after it's other expenditures were taken care of. Much of our spending during Klopp's time here has come from selling players and i expect that will be the case for future purchases too. Some money appears to have been budgeted for Fekir and not spent - hence why in my earlier post to you i included it in my breakdown of why i think there may be about £150m available for spending before any further sales are made.

Increased revenues from improved commercial deals are unlikely to boost transfer funds for another year or two at least. Most if not all the money from last year's Champion's league run has already been spent and revenues from this year's Champion's League income probably wont be as much given the presence of the other english clubs splitting some of the country specific shared revenues. We've also substantially increased the wages of several of our first team players in addition to paying off loans on the new stand and the training ground.

Because thats not how transfers work in the real world?

First incoming players will usually expect a healthy signing on fee, not just a wage - we paid Milner for example i think between £8m and £12m. Rabiot has reportedly been looking for about £10m in addition to a wage of about £175k. Then there are agents fees. And he is a 'free' transfer. Few players of the quality you are looking for are going to be available on a free.

Second, i dont think the wages you would save adds up to £600k a week. Moreno was never on anything close to £100k a week, Studge's wages would have fallen in the last year of his, Lovren and Lallana's would be about £100k each and probably heavily incentivised - since they havent been playing regularly we wont be paying them the full whack and Lovren will be entering the last year of his contract next season i think. Milner maybe earning the most - £150k perhaps.

Third , if you are moving multiple players out to create funds for buying a fewer number of players you are reducing the depth of the squad at a time when we need an increase in the quality of that depth. Milner alone covers 4 or 5 positions (and is one of the reasons i dont agree that you can simply swap Rabiot for him). Selling Lovren requires us to bring in at least 1 new CB and there is already an argument that we should have 5 CBs rather than the 4 plus Fabinho emergency option because of fitness concerns over Gomez and Matip.

Fourth, unless you are able and willing to offload players such as Wilson, Awonyi, Grujic who are not currently in our first team squad, or youngsters in the first team squad who never play for us for significant sums of money that can cover the cost of a top player it's going to add to our depth issues, not resolve them because each player like Lovren you are selling is probably not going to generate the sums you need to replace them and given their wages are still much higher than a lot of those interested in buying them would pay, we may have to sweeten the deal either with a wage contribution, 'loyalty bonus' or accepting a lower fee.

Finally, you are sending out a message different to what Klopp is trying to cultivate. He isnt going to go out and replace Wijnaldum or Gomez in the first team after the seasons they have had unless it is for another player already in the squad who has had an even better one. To get players loyalty and willingness to run themselves into the ground for the team's cause, you dont simply bin them off to bring in a shiny new player.

Saying all the above - i am not averse to selling Lovren and/or Lallana. I just think it unlikely that even if we do we can go gung ho in the transfer window on so few players. Our current first team squad has 29 players, but 8 havent played in the league this year - 2 keepers and 6 young outfielders. 2 seniors leaving on a free in the summer leaving us with only 19 players, 5 or 6 of whom have questions about their long term fitness. Obviously, if those on loan, or too young to feature this season may be good enough to take up a spot next season on ability then we may not have a problem - but i personally wouldnt want to risk it.
And your point about Klopp not going to replace Winjaldum or Gomez with a better player is utter nonesense. What do you think Fabinho has done to Henderson's game time for us compared to last season and he is our Captain.

If Ox had not got badly injured do you not think he would of played regular making someone like Winjaldum reduced to bit part roles all season.You think if Lovren was sold and we bought a quality CB in Gomez would not be replaced as the regular if this player was showing better ability and form.

For someone who likes to use logical replies you seem to not no how football works. You do not build a better squad by only selling players you never used anyway at some point you have to swap good with great and then great with world class. If Moreno is sold and replaced by Lewis is that a bad or good decision? Moreno was of no use anyway so even Lewis can offer the same.

If Lallana is replaced with someone who is so good he demands first team football regularly then the likes of Winjaldum or Milner would be on our bench more thus strengthening our depth by making our bench a far better quality one.

You state that losing 5 or 6 players to only get 2 or 3 top quality players weakens our depth. But how does it? Out of our 25 man squad that is listed how many of them play regular?

When we have players like Moreno Sturridge and Origi even Lovren if Gomez is fit is reduced to bare minimum games. These are all bit part players of far less quality than our regular starters.So replacing them with first team quality or world class strengthens our squad and our bench and allows for our best players to be rested without worry of weakening the team.

Rabiot is class on his day. Sessegnon is a typical over rated player because he is playing in this country and has ability he is now top class apparently. He has not done much this season in the EPL has he? Solanke had a similar rep when we signed him but look at how that worked out. Brandt could be something special but Bayern will get him as usual.same with Havertz unfortunately.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Rabiot is class on his day. Sessegnon is a typical over rated player because he is playing in this country and has ability he is now top class apparently. He has not done much this season in the EPL has he? Solanke had a similar rep when we signed him but look at how that worked out. Brandt could be something special but Bayern will get him as usual.same with Havertz unfortunately.
Solanke didn't have the rep or pedigree of Sessegnon when we signed him, and it actually turned out pretty well. I didn't say he was top class but he's a young player with a lot of potential. He got praised for scoring 16 goals as a 17 year old in the Championship, not for being English. Baseless cliches all over the place. What has Solanke got to do with Sessegnon? Why not mention Sancho, or Sterling, or Kane, or any other good young English player? Judge each player on their merits. Sessegnon not lighting it up in a terrible Fulham side who have had 3 managers is no good reason to ignore his undoubted potential, just as it would have been extremely daft to give up on Sterling after an awful start to 13/14 for him.

Last edited:
Not a top top player doesn't mean not that good,Mane wasn't a top top player,or Salah,or Robertson,you see you don't to spunk money everywhere.
Mane was a top player he cost 36 mil fella. He was wanted by all the top clubs and yes mainly on potential but how is that any different to most footballers.

In the same season Sane cost ManCity 37 mil Kante only cost Chelsea 32 mil from Leicester and he was a recent EPL title winner. Only Stones and Pogba cost more than 40 mil at that time and we all know what happened to the market once those deals happened.

Salah cost big money for us at the time he was signed also so just cos big money for us now will be in the 70 to 100 mil mark does not make it any different to 36 mil when we signed Mane. We will not always be able to find a bargain like Robertson and as everyone keeps saying 75 mil for Van Dijk looks like a bargain now.

Solanke didn't have the rep or pedigree of Sessegnon when we signed him, and it actually turned out pretty well. I didn't say he was top class but he's a young player with a lot of potential. He got praised for scoring 16 goals as a 17 year old in the Championship, not for being English. Baseless cliches all over the place. What has Solanke got to do with Sessegnon? Why not mention Sancho, or Sterling, or Kane, or any other good young English player? Judge each player on their merits. Sessegnon not lighting it up in a terrible Fulham side who have had 3 managers is no good reason to ignore his undoubted potential, just as it would have been extremely daft to give up on Sterling after an awful start to 13/14 for him.
Difference between Sterling and Kane to Sessegnon is they have both done it at the highest level not in the championship. We have our own youth doing well in the Championship but does that make them get into our squad? Sancho is performing well in Germany but he went to get first team football because he could not break into the ManCity side you do understand the difference in the EPL compared to the Championship and the German league. It is the toughest competitive league in the world meaning players like Sessegnon or Che Adams if he gets a move next season always get found wanting. Yes Sessegnon is young and has potential but he is not going to play much football if came to Liverpool lad. Ask Woodburn and Wilson and Kent and Ojo how hard it is to get in this squad and play.

Sessegnon may get bought by another EPL team when Fulham go down but he needs to improve dramatically before being good enough to play regular at a top 6 side.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
You're assuming that's what they'd be doing. Given Salah (and Firmino's) current lack of form in front of goal, wouldn't it be a bit nice to be able to take them out of the firing line for a match or two and have someone of similar quality come in for a bit to share the load, as opposed to the cliff drop we see going from them to the likes of Origi or Sturridge?

Similarly, it'd probably be motivational for our front three to know that their place on the pitch isn't absolutely completely nailed on guaranteed as it is now, and have a bit of competition on their hands.
Of course, the same applies to them coming here thinking they be getting a chance to take over for a lengthy spell from our current front 3. Just think about it, a German youngster, wanting very much to be the first name on their national team, approached by Bayern with ageing players playing their position as opposed to Liverpool putting them in to motivate and compete with the front 3 that scares the shit out of world best defence. Which one would they pick?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Difference between Sterling and Kane to Sessegnon is they have both done it at the highest level not in the championship.
That wasn't really my point, at some point all of these players weren't 'good enough' or were only potential. Sterling was hopeless in 13/14 for a stretch and brilliant not long after, Kane was hopeless in the Championship yet banging in 30 a season in the Premier League not long after. Gomez was getting pelters by our fanbase at the end of last season and about 5 games into this one he was deemed as pretty much irreplaceable. These things change quickly. Do not place too much stock in temporary bouts of form from young kids, if they have the requisite amount of talent, they get an opportunity and a bit of luck, they will shine.

Sessegnon has talent, plenty of it. That's all that matters. Does he have the attributes to play at the top level? IMO he does and that's why I'd like us to get him. With Fulham getting relegated and him being messed about this season by them they won't be in any great bargaining position meaning he should be available at a reasonable price. A risk worth taking, surely?

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
And your point about Klopp not going to replace Winjaldum or Gomez with a better player is utter nonesense. What do you think Fabinho has done to Henderson's game time for us compared to last season and he is our Captain.

If Ox had not got badly injured do you not think he would of played regular making someone like Winjaldum reduced to bit part roles all season.You think if Lovren was sold and we bought a quality CB in Gomez would not be replaced as the regular if this player was showing better ability and form.

For someone who likes to use logical replies you seem to not no how football works. You do not build a better squad by only selling players you never used anyway at some point you have to swap good with great and then great with world class. If Moreno is sold and replaced by Lewis is that a bad or good decision? Moreno was of no use anyway so even Lewis can offer the same.

If Lallana is replaced with someone who is so good he demands first team football regularly then the likes of Winjaldum or Milner would be on our bench more thus strengthening our depth by making our bench a far better quality one.

You state that losing 5 or 6 players to only get 2 or 3 top quality players weakens our depth. But how does it? Out of our 25 man squad that is listed how many of them play regular?

When we have players like Moreno Sturridge and Origi even Lovren if Gomez is fit is reduced to bare minimum games. These are all bit part players of far less quality than our regular starters.So replacing them with first team quality or world class strengthens our squad and our bench and allows for our best players to be rested without worry of weakening the team.

Gomez was class alongside VVD the start of the season and undroppable,he was keeping Lovren and Matip out of the team,if it wasn't for fracturing his leg the end of last year,he'd probably still be playing at CB and improved leaps and bounds by now.I'd imagine if a new CB is brought in,then he's only going to be a back up,as i doubt moving Gomez to LB or RB from now on,will be where they want to play him and stunt his growth in the CB position.

Sessegnon not good enough because he hasn't set the world alight at Fulham doesn't mean anything??at 16/17yo he was playing full on first team football in the championship and assissting/scoring for fun,so he's game hardened,he's now had premiership experience under his belt (which woodburn,wilson and kent don't have) and can play multiple positions and still only 18yo,this is just the type of player Klopp would love to coach and improve,especially if the price was right.

You say Brewster isn't good enough to cover Sturridge (who's hardly used) yet throwing in Lewis at LB for Moreno is ok cos he's not playing? tbh i think giving Brewster 10-15mins of game time or early round FA/League cup games,to rest any of the front 3 next season,would be hugely benifitial to him and less of a risk,than having to throw in a novice youngster at full back,who's probably in a more important position,with the way we play,so that doesn't make much sense.

Yeah world class players were bought for GK/CB positions this summer but that doesn't mean it's going to happen for every position,you only need to read reports the past few days,where Klopp has supposedly said they won't be blowing money like we did last summer,we have injured players coming back (Lovren,Brewster,AOC) who he obviously has plans for,so you can tell he's only going to buy a hand full of players to improve the quality and depth to the squad,unless he has one worldie up his sleeve thats goning under the radar.

I gotta be honest but your replies are pretty insulting,chatting like your the billy big bollox of the football team building world,like we are all dumb and don't know how football team building works,all this rubbish about replacing good players with great players and replacing them with world class players to improve our squad is the way to do it and the only way to do it.Thats all well and good if your Man City or Real Madrid,spending huge sums to make a team of galactico's,but i guess from everything i've read from you,you don't have a clue about how LFC is being run or how Klopp builds a team,have you not been taking note the past 3 summers?

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Salah still hasn't played on the right in a double six structure.
He did for Fiorentina and Roma. If he doesn't want to do it here no problem - Shaqiri would be happy to take that spot:wave:

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
I am surprised about why no one is wishing for the world class player Pulisic. He can play all 11 positions on the field and he will pay for himself by all the commercial deals he will bring in. He should be the number 1 priority for us all here. :tongue:
Tongue in cheek I know, but he's signed for Chelsea.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
If a CB was bought to replace Lovren and he could play LB RB and CB tgen that covers part of Milners appeal and Fabinho covers the other parts already as he xan play CB or RB besides CM and DM so using Milner's positional versatility is mad. Yes he is great but he is 33yrs old and not getting any younger.

The fact he is on around 140k a wk is exactly why Rabiot is ideal even with the sweetners and fees where else are you going to find a 23yr old of that quality and only pay around 12 mil? as for my sums not adding to around 600k a wk wages saved milner 140k Lovren and Lallana 100k and 110k Moreno 65k Sturridge 130k Origi 45k all adds up to around 590k a wk if all those are off our books.
Yeah, sure, if you can find a top quality CB who can also play attacking full back on both flanks great - but how many players in the real world do you see fit into that category? Klopp is more likely to convert wingers to being full backs than he is with CBs.

Again - replacing Lovren still only leaves you with 4 CBs, 2 of who have injury concerns about. If you are planning on having Fabinho provide cover for RB, then you are going to need an additional CB come in.

Milner is here for one more season tops - so his age really isnt an issue. I dont particularly rate Rabiot, i think his attitude leaves a lot to be desired so i dont think Klopp would be that interested in him. The 12m+ you are paying for him is 12m that you now can no longer spend on areas where we lack the appropriate depth.

Your £600k figure - you didnt include Origi in the original list. Studge is not on £130k as previously explained. Lovren and Lallana's contracts will be incentivised so we wont be paying them that much given the number of games they have missed.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
That wasn't really my point, at some point all of these players weren't 'good enough' or were only potential. Sterling was hopeless in 13/14 for a stretch and brilliant not long after, Kane was hopeless in the Championship yet banging in 30 a season in the Premier League not long after. Gomez was getting pelters by our fanbase at the end of last season and about 5 games into this one he was deemed as pretty much irreplaceable. These things change quickly. Do not place too much stock in temporary bouts of form from young kids, if they have the requisite amount of talent, they get an opportunity and a bit of luck, they will shine.

Sessegnon has talent, plenty of it. That's all that matters. Does he have the attributes to play at the top level? IMO he does and that's why I'd like us to get him. With Fulham getting relegated and him being messed about this season by them they won't be in any great bargaining position meaning he should be available at a reasonable price. A risk worth taking, surely?
Robertson has gone from being an attacking full back/wing back who cant defend to being arguably the best left back in Europe, if not the world within the space of 12-18 months.

Gomez was class alongside VVD the start of the season and undroppable,he was keeping Lovren and Matip out of the team,if it wasn't for fracturing his leg the end of last year,he'd probably still be playing at CB and improved leaps and bounds by now.I'd imagine if a new CB is brought in,then he's only going to be a back up,as i doubt moving Gomez to LB or RB from now on,will be where they want to play him and stunt his growth in the CB position.

Sessegnon not good enough because he hasn't set the world alight at Fulham doesn't mean anything??at 16/17yo he was playing full on first team football in the championship and assissting/scoring for fun,so he's game hardened,he's now had premiership experience under his belt (which woodburn,wilson and kent don't have) and can play multiple positions and still only 18yo,this is just the type of player Klopp would love to coach and improve,especially if the price was right.

You say Brewster isn't good enough to cover Sturridge (who's hardly used) yet throwing in Lewis at LB for Moreno is ok cos he's not playing? tbh i think giving Brewster 10-15mins of game time or early round FA/League cup games,to rest any of the front 3 next season,would be hugely benifitial to him and less of a risk,than having to throw in a novice youngster at full back,who's probably in a more important position,with the way we play,so that doesn't make much sense.

Yeah world class players were bought for GK/CB positions this summer but that doesn't mean it's going to happen for every position,you only need to read reports the past few days,where Klopp has supposedly said they won't be blowing money like we did last summer,we have injured players coming back (Lovren,Brewster,AOC) who he obviously has plans for,so you can tell he's only going to buy a hand full of players to improve the quality and depth to the squad,unless he has one worldie up his sleeve thats goning under the radar.

I gotta be honest but your replies are pretty insulting,chatting like your the billy big bollox of the football team building world,like we are all dumb and don't know how football team building works,all this rubbish about replacing good players with great players and replacing them with world class players to improve our squad is the way to do it and the only way to do it.Thats all well and good if your Man City or Real Madrid,spending huge sums to make a team of galactico's,but i guess from everything i've read from you,you don't have a clue about how LFC is being run or how Klopp builds a team,have you not been taking note the past 3 summers?
I have been taking note lad thank you and if we do not win anything this season will we just put it down to ManCity being better and try harder or actually find a reason why they are better? Liverpool are far from the finished article if we had not got Alisson or Van Dijk do you see us as good this season as we have been? Answer is No obviously.

So if the signing of 2 players that are absolute world class can do that then what more advertisement for a few more signings of that calibre in other positions do you need? Keep hearing we are not ManCity we are not Manu from a lot of our fans.

I know we are not those teams i am a lifelong Liverpool fan and we are arguably 3 signings away from having a team as good if not better than ManCity's and all without breaking FFP.

Why would you just sign 2 of the biggest signings ever at the club then just halt that method when it has clearly worked. Our front 3 is one if the most dangerous in Europe but an injury to Salah or Mane and we are not as dangerous. Yes we can cope due to Shaq and Origi. But surely having a Werner or a Jota or a Gomez instead of Origi is by far and away a better plan.

The question is do we want to cope if the worse happens or do we already have the problem solved and not let it phase us? Can only be that way if you have the the quality depth true top teams have.

W00die

Ad-free Member
I have been taking note lad thank you and if we do not win anything this season will we just put it down to ManCity being better and try harder or actually find a reason why they are better? Liverpool are far from the finished article if we had not got Alisson or Van Dijk do you see us as good this season as we have been? Answer is No obviously.
Dude, it might help if you didn't call people 'lad' or 'pal' all the time..... ;-)

LFCFFC

Spot on. That would be a very, very good summer.

I guess in a perfect world you'd bring De Ligt in at the expense of Lovren, but given we've signaled a summer of consolidation, it doesn't seem likely.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Is it really though? Henderson needs to be rested more frequently than our other midfielders as he picks up niggles more frequently than he used to do before his repeated foot injuries. That was always going to happen who ever came in. Klopp still picks Hendo over Fabinho at the moment in key games. The midfielders are for the most part of similar quality, so he looks to rotate them - that wont be the same for CB where Gomez was pretty amazing in the first half of the season. Klopp is not going to bring in a CB to start over him (or Matip if he stays).

Sure, if Ox had been fit, he would have been in the rotation and we could have been resting Wijnaldum more frequently but that isnt the same as bringing someone in to replace them in the first team - it's telling that despite carrying an injury he is still being asked to play almost every game. Wijnaldum has often been playing a deeper role this season - that we wouldnt see Ox play.

There is a difference in bringing in a replacement, and bringing in an alternative option who wins his place through playing the better of the two.

There is no one way to build a squad, but if the primary issue with your squad is that you lack quality in depth, then simply shuffling around your better players for great ones does not address that issue. You have simply increased the strength of the first 11. When they are out injured or suspended, you then have problems. The whole point in building a quality squad is that you have alternatives that you are willing to play and wont lead to a drop off in quality.

As it stands, we have Milner as the closest option for our full backs (and you want to sell), or Gomez, who most of us want to see playing only as CB. None of our back up options up front offer the quality our front 3 posess and so there is a noticeble difference if one isnt available.

Well, no because Wijnaldum and Milner are preferred ahead of Lallana and can play a different role to him. Ox will usually take Lallana's spot in the team when fit. Sure, a player coming into the squad can push an exisiting first teamer to the bench if they perform well enough - but there is a world of difference between bringing in someone who is a recognised top quality player to start from day one, and one who is coming in to add to the squad. The latter can always become the former, the same cant often be said for the former.

I didnt say it weakens our depth. I said it fails to address our problem caused by already not having depth in quality. However, if you are getting rid of the likes of Milner then it probably does weaken the depth because you are not simply proposing we move out players who get no playing time - but those who play most of our games also.

Isnt the point of strengthening the squad that you are comfortable in giving a wider number of players, playing time? In addition if a key player gets a serious injury you have options to step in and minimise the damage - what happens this season if Trent, Robertson, Mane, Bobby or Mo are out for a year?

I've already pointed out our squad numbers. We have a 29 man squad. 6 youngsters and 2 back up keepers who have no league games between them. Only 18 players have played 9 or more league games - 4 of those are CBs because of injuries to Gomez. Aside from the keeper, that means we have so far used only 13 players regularly this season in the other positions.

We're losing one of those 18 on a free. (Worth pointing out though, that many of those performances include coming on for a couple of minutes in the game - rather than being trusted to come on earlier or start games. )

These players have also been the first choices for our cup games when available too.

Again, no one is saying we shouldnt be improving upon the quality of those players - but we have a financial limit that means we cant do all the changes you have proposed in your posts in one go and so choices have to be made on how it is done and over how long a period.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

So if the signing of 2 players that are absolute world class can do that then what more advertisement for a few more signings of that calibre in other positions do you need? Keep hearing we are not ManCity we are not Manu from a lot of our fans.

I know we are not those teams i am a lifelong Liverpool fan and we are arguably 3 signings away from having a team as good if not better than ManCity's and all without breaking FFP.

Why would you just sign 2 of the biggest signings ever at the club then just halt that method when it has clearly worked. Our front 3 is one if the most dangerous in Europe but an injury to Salah or Mane and we are not as dangerous. Yes we can cope due to Shaq and Origi. But surely having a Werner or a Jota or a Gomez instead of Origi is by far and away a better plan.

The question is do we want to cope if the worse happens or do we already have the problem solved and not let it phase us? Can only be that way if you have the the quality depth true top teams have.
We already have a team as good as City's, what we lack is a squad with their depth of quality.

Limiescouse

Robertson has gone from being an attacking full back/wing back who cant defend to being arguably the best left back in Europe, if not the world within the space of 12-18 months.
It was never a credible criticism of him that he couldn't defend though. The mythology that surrounds him should not be used to justify thinking anyone else who cannot defend can be taught to be a CL level FB.

RedForever2014

We already have a team as good as City's, what we lack is a squad with their depth of quality.
That is generally correct, although the fact that this season we weren't able to beat them, and very nearly lost both matches, suggests our best 11 could be improved.

We also can't bridge that gap with City's depth of quality by filling out our squad with unproven youngsters, as some are advocating.

One could argue that our full backs need to be more consistent, at least in their offensively deliveries, and need genuine rotation. Also that we need a more reliable partner for VVD who can stay fit, that we need a top quality creative playmaker and - maybe most controversially - we would be better (certainly at times) with a more clinical 9 than Bobby (who has had a mixed season).

There has to be change this summer to kick on, whether or not we win the PL, CL or both.

Currently we have a 20 man outfield squad (including Oxlade, excluding Clyne), but these are all senior players.

Letting the likes of Clyne, Moreno, Sturridge, Lallana and Origi leave, possibly a centre back and Milner too, necessitates some quality signings as well as promoting youth.