• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
He'll be a game-changing signing for any club that snaps him up. I just hope it isn't Man United and it's unfortunately looking pretty likely.
City have a match clause, no way in hells desert sun does City let them have him.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Depay is someone that has a lot of talent and on many levels would be a player we should be interested in - but i have nagging doubts about his capacity to fully buy in to what Klopp wants from his players.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Depay is someone that has a lot of talent and on many levels would be a player we should be interested in - but i have nagging doubts about his capacity to fully buy in to what Klopp wants from his players.
He seems like a very flashy character off the pitch and, while that's not exactly a crime, I think I'd struggle to warm to him because of it and would have slight concerns over how he'd fit in with the mentality of the rest of the squad. I also don't think as a player he's good enough to make it a no-brainer so you'd gloss over those concerns.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Klopp would only ever sign players with good character and attitude so if he signed Depay that's enough on the matter for me and people will have to get over their hangups on how he presents himself. If he is an arsehole Klopp won't sign him.

At the end of the day it costs just as much or more to kit yourself out in Armani suits, rolex watches and Bentley cars than the "bling" look in Hip Hop culture. But one is portrayed as classy, a good sign of character, and one as trashy, a bad sign of character, in the media. Truth is some of the biggest arseholes you could meet would dress in a socially acceptable way.

On the pitch Depay would fit our playing style like a glove. May need to put more of a defensive shift in maybe. Good rumoured price too. Unless one of us has secretly been spending significant time with footballers we won't know his character. Klopp would find out before making any move though.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Klopp would only ever sign players with good character and attitude so if he signed Depay that's enough on the matter for me and people will have to get over their hangups on how he presents himself. If he is an arsehole Klopp won't sign him.

At the end of the day it costs just as much or more to kit yourself out in Armani suits, rolex watches and Bentley cars than the "bling" look in Hip Hop culture. But one is portrayed as classy, a good sign of character, and one as trashy, a bad sign of character, in the media. Truth is some of the biggest arseholes you could meet would dress in a socially acceptable way.

On the pitch Depay would fit our playing style like a glove. May need to put more of a defensive shift in maybe. Good rumoured price too. Unless one of us has secretly been spending significant time with footballers we won't know his character. Klopp would find out before making any move though.
Seeing as we've not been even remotely credibly linked, I don't see the problem with commenting on his off-field persona. Klopp isn't demonstrably interested as far as we know at this point, so there's nothing to suggest he doesn't have a problem with it. In fact, if he's not, as it appears, interested, then perhaps that even means he does have a problem with it?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Yes, that much is obvious. But we are discussing rumours of said player joining and it shouldnt stop us from commenting based on what little information we have to piece together.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Icardi,Rabiot and Depay,so we're buying an hat trick of arseholes,i'd take Icardi tho.
I am worried about his Missus Wanda, she is a tough agent to deal with and on the ball. With Rabiot's mum, who would want to deal with her, she is one scary Mama.

Besides all that, I wouldn't mind Icardi though :)

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
O right, strange responding on something and missing the point entirely then isn’t it? So no the story has no bearing on the media being anti-Sterling and does in fact back up the OP I was making. Thanks for taking the time to engage, albeit in the most pointless of ways.
See above.

Keegans Perm

Jovic, De Ligt and Sessegnon would be the 3 id like to see come in. With Sturridge, Lovren and Moreno shipped out. Anyone else on top of that would be a bonus.
Regarding De Ligt, it would mean rotating Gomez which would be a bit shit because the lad is a beast. But if Man City can have 2 world class players for each position, why cant we?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Jovic, De Ligt and Sessegnon would be the 3 id like to see come in. With Sturridge, Lovren and Moreno shipped out. Anyone else on top of that would be a bonus.
Regarding De Ligt, it would mean rotating Gomez which would be a bit shit because the lad is a beast. But if Man City can have 2 world class players for each position, why cant we?
Not unreasonable but I'm convinced that Gomez and Brewster are the main reasons why these two won't be targeted by Klopp, even though I like them very much. Sessegnon would be a sensible signing, I hope Liverpool are genuinely interested in signing him.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Not unreasonable but I'm convinced that Gomez and Brewster are the main reasons why these two won't be targeted by Klopp, even though I like them very much. Sessegnon would be a sensible signing, I hope Liverpool are genuinely interested in signing him.
I honestly don't think Brewster will prevent us from replacing two senior attackers (Sturridge + Origi, if both go). It may mean we only buy one...

Dave-D

I am worried about his Missus Wanda, she is a tough agent to deal with and on the ball. With Rabiot's mum, who would want to deal with her, she is one scary Mama.

Besides all that, I wouldn't mind Icardi though :)
Rabiot has got rid of his mum as his agent. She seemed to be causing him more problems than she was worth lol

Red over the water

Depay is a good player and he has unfinished business in the Prem. He would be a welcome addition, with the added bonus of making Man Utd regret it if he shines for us.

The point about bling is well made. Most of the young players are multi millionaires and they come from nothing, so they go a bit mad with all the cash they have. Most would do the same, and they shouldn’t have their character judged on that basis. Late for training? Disrespectful to teammates? Unable to take instruction from the manager? In trouble away from the pitch? Etc. That’s the sort of stuff that matters, and I’ve not heard anything about Depay to know one way or the other... but I’m confident Jurgen will know what’s what.

One other possible angle on Depay is Van Dijk. I like to think of Big Virg as the King of the Dutch. So if one of his fellow countrymen is coming into Virg’s house (Anfield) they will be on their best behavior, on and off the pitch, because that is the standard set by the Dutch King. He won’t have it any other way, and I’m confident Depay would behave as appropriate. (Which shouldn’t be confused with ripped jeans, a Rolls Royce and lots of gold and diamonds hanging off him, coupled with a penchant for hip-hop. If that’s what floats your boat have at it lad!)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I wasnt convinced that Sessegnon would be a target this summer, but the more thought i give to it, the more i think it makes sense.

Does anyone know how good he is with his right foot?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Bruno Fernandes.

Would add goals and creativity to the midfield.

(Sincere apologies for sticking to the thread).
I'm curious whether he would 'add goals'. We already score a lot of goals, so isnt it more likely that we will score a similar amount of goals but they will be distributed differently?

Secondly, one of the main reasons our midfield doesnt score goals is the way it is set up - they are not expected to get into the box beyond the forwards to get goals, they are tasked with covering for the full backs and providing opportunities for the forwards - which they have been doing.

StevieJayUSA

Depay is a good player and he has unfinished business in the Prem. He would be a welcome addition, with the added bonus of making Man Utd regret it if he shines for us.

The point about bling is well made. Most of the young players are multi millionaires and they come from nothing, so they go a bit mad with all the cash they have. Most would do the same, and they shouldn’t have their character judged on that basis. Late for training? Disrespectful to teammates? Unable to take instruction from the manager? In trouble away from the pitch? Etc. That’s the sort of stuff that matters, and I’ve not heard anything about Depay to know one way or the other... but I’m confident Jurgen will know what’s what.

One other possible angle on Depay is Van Dijk. I like to think of Big Virg as the King of the Dutch. So if one of his fellow countrymen is coming into Virg’s house (Anfield) they will be on their best behavior, on and off the pitch, because that is the standard set by the Dutch King. He won’t have it any other way, and I’m confident Depay would behave as appropriate. (Which shouldn’t be confused with ripped jeans, a Rolls Royce and lots of gold and diamonds hanging off him, coupled with a penchant for hip-hop. If that’s what floats your boat have at it lad!)
Actually, Gini and Memphis are pretty close. If anyone round Melwood could be helping Memphis adapt, and help keep him in check, I’d assume Gini be that guy. I’m also sure Gini has given Klopp the skinny on Memphis, assuming he’s asked, of course.