• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Looks a promising backline but also looks quite young with Hernandez and Pavard as CBs. Neither of them have ever nailed down a CB spot at the top level before.
I dont disagree but in a couple of years certainly a formidable unit, especially as the likes of Hummels etc. Can rotate for a few years whilst they get settled, and they have Sule to bring in etc.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I dont disagree but in a couple of years certainly a formidable unit, especially as the likes of Hummels etc. Can rotate for a few years whilst they get settled, and they have Sule to bring in etc.
Süle looks like a player who is there to stay (and I think he's very much Klopp's type of centre back). I really wonder if they signed Pavard and Hernandez primarily as fullbacks or as centre backs as I don't think either is better than what they already have in starting XI (in Kimmich and Alaba, they have probably the most varied pair of fullbacks in European football, possibly the best overall). Their potential is indisputable, of course, they clearly made these signings with future in mind.

The amount of money they spent on them is bound to have huge impacts on other clubs' dealings, especially those of rich ones, though. That said, I don't know if it's crazier that Liverpool got 20 million pounds for Solanke and that they are bound to get about 12 million for each of Tawoniyi and Kent. I hope they all fulfil their potential, of course, but it's still silly money for players with almost zero impact at Liverpool.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Süle looks like a player who is there to stay (and I think he's very much Klopp's type of centre back). I really wonder if they signed Pavard and Hernandez primarily as fullbacks or as centre backs as I don't think either is better than what they already have in starting XI (in Kimmich and Alaba, they have probably the most varied pair of fullbacks in European football, possibly the best overall). Their potential is indisputable, of course, they clearly made these signings with future in mind.

The amount of money they spent on them is bound to have huge impacts on other clubs' dealings, especially those of rich ones, though. That said, I don't know if it's crazier that Liverpool got 20 million pounds for Solanke and that they are bound to get about 12 million for each of Tawoniyi and Kent. I hope they all fulfil their potential, of course, but it's still silly money for players with almost zero impact at Liverpool.
Is it possible Kimich or Alaba switch position next season?

rab

That won't be the end of their spending either. Ribery and Robben on their way out and Lewandoski not getting any younger so expect something big up top too as Gnabry and Coman just aren't enough for them. Rumours of Nicholas Pepe bids and there's still the Werner chat and Brandt looks too good a deal for them not to be sniffing around if that release clause is true.

Limiescouse

Isn't Hernandez a full back? That's where he played for France in the World Cup. And what about Hummels? He's still hugely impressive.
Like Pavard, he is used more often at club level as a CB. Also, for such a large fee it he is not remotely an automatic pick and amusingly not even considered their best young CB

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Like Pavard, he is used more often at club level as a CB. Also, for such a large fee it he is not remotely an automatic pick and amusingly not even considered their best young CB
Life at an elite club isn't it? We spent in excess of £50m on Naby and he's not a regular.

Pavard is still very young though isn't he? Boateng isn't the player he was and Hummels is getting on. Both need replacing sooner rather than later. Still reckon he has at least a season left as their first choice CB alongside Sule though.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The more I think on it the more I think the best idea for attacking players is to go young.

Players good now but still developing and potentially world class.

We have Salah, Firmino and Mane who are all brilliant and shouldering the pressure of our attack needing to perform.

They can't play all games though because even if never injured or suspended we play in 4 comps and they need rotating to keep them fresh and in form.

Hopefully those 3 will be the foundation of our attack for at least 2 more seasons maybe between 3-5 seasons even.

Using guys like Wilson, Woodburn and Brewster as developing young talents that can do a job for us to bulk out the squad means we really don't need to rely on squad filler types. With the game time those kids would get maybe one or two might even kick on like Alexander-Arnold and Gomez did.

But we are still an option or two short on quality players who can properly rotate with our main three without too much of a drop off in quality. They'll get lots of playing time still but players in their prime might be a little more reserved about entering that situation.

We might get some players in their prime wanting a chance at redemption like Shaqiri or (worse) a decent enough player who is happy to just have an easy role at a big club for a decent pay packet.

Or we could go for an older veteran who has done it all before, wanting one last glorious stint at top level but maybe willing to just accept not being automatically on the team sheet week in week out anymore as they know they need plenty of rest. Suarez is the obvious suggestion here.

But with Klopps reputation for trusting and developing young players I think the opportunity is there to really push the boat out for the likes of Hudson-Odoi or Sancho.

If we brought a player or two like that in the pressure would be off them whilst they develop from a good young player to a true world class star under Klopps tutelage. They'd be useful to us during that time but when one of Salah, Mane or Firmino eventually do leave we'd have a world class player or two breaking through taking their place any way.

It'd probably be the best attack in the world (or close to it) next year if the options for our front 4 were Salah, Mane, Firmino, Ox, Sancho/Hudson-Odoi, Brewster, Shaqiri and Wilson/Woodburn. If we could land Sancho and Hudson/Odoi somehow over this summer and next whilst keeping our current front 3 and Brewster we'd be unstoppable.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
CB is sort of an enigma position for me. On paper it looks like we are covered but reality feels different. IMO Matip has done well, all things considered. Sure he has his moments, but every player does. Will Lovren move on this Summer looking for more first team football? Even when fit, Degsy always seems like an injury waiting to happen. But JK loves him and might be convincing him to stay. Does JK plan to rely on a healthy Gomez for an entire season?

I wonder what it would take to pry Eric Bailly away from United? According to some United fans, Ole doesn't want to play him bc of his temper. They originally paid 30 for him and I believe next year is the final year of his deal.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
For AM - one of Eriksen, Brandt, Dybala, Havertz.

For Stricker - one of Werner, Jovic. Or may be Europe's top supersub right now - Paco Alcacer. Or AC Milan's top man in form Piatek.

If we want a winger to back up both Mane, Mo - look no further than Sancho. But may be that's for 2021 summer. Let him stay and develop more at Dortmund.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm fairly convinced that there's going to be another Fabinho type signing. I reckon our first summer transfer should be announced before the end of May.
And probably somebody viewed as at least decent before the move and will explode into world class form under Klopp. Will be for reasonably big money and probably won't have been seriously linked to us till the week before it's completed. I think most of the rumoured activity is in attacking midfield with no seeming urgency or talk over the wide positions where I think we are spread the most thin. I think we already have a winger recruit lined up for the left side. Mane has been tried and found to be a decent enough option at CF in 433 and we know he's good on both left and right. A lot of versatility if we bring a left forward in.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
The more I think on it the more I think the best idea for attacking players is to go young.

Players good now but still developing and potentially world class.

We have Salah, Firmino and Mane who are all brilliant and shouldering the pressure of our attack needing to perform.

They can't play all games though because even if never injured or suspended we play in 4 comps and they need rotating to keep them fresh and in form.

Hopefully those 3 will be the foundation of our attack for at least 2 more seasons maybe between 3-5 seasons even.

Using guys like Wilson, Woodburn and Brewster as developing young talents that can do a job for us to bulk out the squad means we really don't need to rely on squad filler types. With the game time those kids would get maybe one or two might even kick on like Alexander-Arnold and Gomez did.

But we are still an option or two short on quality players who can properly rotate with our main three without too much of a drop off in quality. They'll get lots of playing time still but players in their prime might be a little more reserved about entering that situation.

We might get some players in their prime wanting a chance at redemption like Shaqiri or (worse) a decent enough player who is happy to just have an easy role at a big club for a decent pay packet.

Or we could go for an older veteran who has done it all before, wanting one last glorious stint at top level but maybe willing to just accept not being automatically on the team sheet week in week out anymore as they know they need plenty of rest. Suarez is the obvious suggestion here.

But with Klopps reputation for trusting and developing young players I think the opportunity is there to really push the boat out for the likes of Hudson-Odoi or Sancho.

If we brought a player or two like that in the pressure would be off them whilst they develop from a good young player to a true world class star under Klopps tutelage. They'd be useful to us during that time but when one of Salah, Mane or Firmino eventually do leave we'd have a world class player or two breaking through taking their place any way.

It'd probably be the best attack in the world (or close to it) next year if the options for our front 4 were Salah, Mane, Firmino, Ox, Sancho/Hudson-Odoi, Brewster, Shaqiri and Wilson/Woodburn. If we could land Sancho and Hudson/Odoi somehow over this summer and next whilst keeping our current front 3 and Brewster we'd be unstoppable.
I think the catch with the two you mention Sancho and Hudson-Odoi is that wherever they go they will want significant playing time - its arguably why Sancho left England, and why Hudson - Odoi wants out of Chelsea.

With Mane/Firmino/Salah - they play a lot of minutes and also have engines that don't require to much rest or rotation.......so unless we changed formation to include them they would proabaly not be the nailed on starter they would be looking for in a move.

That said I think you are right - based on our current starting three all now at thier peak but heading into their late 20's, looking at younger players with big potential upside and a chance to have a succession plan is the right way to go.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think the catch with the two you mention Sancho and Hudson-Odoi is that wherever they go they will want significant playing time - its arguably why Sancho left England, and why Hudson - Odoi wants out of Chelsea.

With Mane/Firmino/Salah - they play a lot of minutes and also have engines that don't require to much rest or rotation.......so unless we changed formation to include them they would proabaly not be the nailed on starter they would be looking for in a move.

That said I think you are right - based on our current starting three all now at thier peak but heading into their late 20's, looking at younger players with big potential upside and a chance to have a succession plan is the right way to go.
Personally believe we are in an awful situation up front. None of the 3 can be rotated and rested to keep them fresh and firing. Over 4 comps this is quite frankly ridiculous. To look at the level of cover we have at CB and CM compared to our front 3 it's night and day. Except for the quality of Mignolet and Moreno we have the options at GK and LB too. It's only really RB and AM where we also don't have the choices but we have a lot of options from CB and CM for RB.

Incognito

The Normal One
This is honestly the first time where for me there doesn't need to be any signings this summer. Don't think another big money defender is needed as Gomez is finally given his platform to perform alongside Van Dijk, minus his injury. Too many midfielders are in the squad so a couple should be sold. Personally I would sign a number 10 who's world class or near enough and then leave it. Just sell in the summer rather than buy.
Quoting your post here, as it isn't related to rumour. I don't think we can just sell and not buy anyone. In fact some summer signing would really boost our squad despite how the season goes, and will bring a spark both for the players and fans alike. Plus it's not just a luxury, but a necessity itself.

We do not have adequate cover for our full backs, who are the most vital players for our system and lack of quality and rotation options there hurts us the most considering how much effort the two lads put. With Clyne and Moreno probably moving out, would have a full back who can reliably cover those two positions with a similar impact as Robbo and Trent.

Sturridge and Lallana have to be out this summer, and a forward would be a must to cover for the front 3. Origi and Shaq alone can't be relied to cover those spots by themselves, and a certain more quality upfront would immensely help us.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team

It's really because there is no one who can challenge the front 3 that they are playing so much. Ideal situation is to have someone good enough to push them and who has the potential to play nearly as well or win a regular place if any of them regress or get injured.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Ideal situation is to have someone good enough to push them and who has the potential to play nearly as well or win a regular place if any of them regress or get injured.
Ideal would be a versatile CF who is even good enough to start together with the other three.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ideal would be a versatile CF who is even good enough to start together with the other three.
In a 433 I disagree as Firmino and Mane are perfect for the central role in the front 3. Woodburn or Brewster could be options there too. In 433 I'd be going for a left forward to challenge Mane (who can in turn challenge Firmino centrally or Salah on the right) and somebody to challenge Ox as the most offensive of the midfield 3.

You might have a point in the 4231 formation if Firmino is being eyed as the usual number 10 choice as then someone to rotate and challenge Salah (who could also sometimes play on the right) could be the answer. But I'd still want to strengthen on the left. Also if/when Salah doesn't play CF you could get by fine playing Firmino (or Brewster) if you had a real strong number 10 option.

My choices to fit both formations would be a player who could play 10 and 8 to a high standard and a player who can be a good strong option at left wing. If that second player could also play other roles great. I think I'd go someone more established and ready for the CAM role and someone young and full of potential for the wide left role.

Perfect choices for me would be one of Eriksen or Brandt. Along with one of Hudson-Odoi, Sancho or Sessegnon (then add another next year maybe).

NJLFCJake

Wish Inaki Williams never signed that extension, current contract runs till 2025? Think he would have been a perfect addition to push any of the front 3 , even a perfect sub. Feel like he is what Origi should be ... buyout is 80mil ? Not worth it for that kind of money.