• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The more I think about it, the more I see the likes of Fekir linked with us again, the more I see the likes of Utd/Chelsea linked with him.. The more I do seriously consider Coutinho coming back.

If he was man about it, apologised to Klopp for being a twat, that would be good enough for me. He is basically exactly what this team is crying out for, he is exactly what we haven't replaced.. So why not replace him with himself?

This is a team that has moved on significantly from the one he used to reside in. He'd be part of a collective front line that is already world class and he'd join that rather than be the only worldclass talent.

Look at what we need - someone who can play Left or Right Forward, someone who can play no, someone who can play no.8. A player who can dribble at pace, transitions at speed, can unlock a defence with passing, is a goal threat from outside the box.. If you had a wish list for what this side needs he'd be at the top in terms of ticking every single technical skill required.

Is it a pipe dream? Maybe but I'd hope we at least have a little conversation.. I heard Blackpool is lovely in May.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
At this point in time, Nobody is signing for us unless Klopp is convinced they will give us their all, so if Coutinho comes here, I don’t have a problem with it at all. If Jurgen is happy to move on, so am I.

Alright Now

The more I think about it, the more I see the likes of Fekir linked with us again, the more I see the likes of Utd/Chelsea linked with him.. The more I do seriously consider Coutinho coming back.

If he was man about it, apologised to Klopp for being a twat, that would be good enough for me. He is basically exactly what this team is crying out for, he is exactly what we haven't replaced.. So why not replace him with himself?

This is a team that has moved on significantly from the one he used to reside in. He'd be part of a collective front line that is already world class and he'd join that rather than be the only worldclass talent.

Look at what we need - someone who can play Left or Right Forward, someone who can play no, someone who can play no.8. A player who can dribble at pace, transitions at speed, can unlock a defence with passing, is a goal threat from outside the box.. If you had a wish list for what this side needs he'd be at the top in terms of ticking every single technical skill required.

Is it a pipe dream? Maybe but I'd hope we at least have a little conversation.. I heard Blackpool is lovely in May.
Even if we forget the leopard spots thing, I can’t even imagine the pressure he’d be under at Anfield.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I think we'd forgive him quickly enough with a few great performances..

Just think him behind our front 3..
I'd have him back. I'd love it if Moreno does join them on a free this summer but Barca don't realise that the €100m surcharge applies to all players registered with LFC as at 30 June 2019.

Don't worry Barca, Coutinho on a free and I'd call it quits.

Incognito

The Normal One
I think we'd forgive him quickly enough with a few great performances..

Just think him behind our front 3..
Imagine him now with that back 5 instead. He never had issues with the forwards we had. While he was around, we never had a stable defense.

Somehow we never hate the players forever like we hated the day when they left. Torres, Suarez watching their old videos for us still makes me smile.

Wonder how many bridges did he burn to leave. I am actually indifferent at this moment. If he joins back good, else doesn't matter. We have moved on and will fine someone as good if not better.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Regardless of what people think of Coutinho (I wouldn't want him back, that's for sure), I don't think he'd fit this Liverpool side anymore. Not even Shaqiri can get a game these days, Klopp wants his forwards/wide players to put in a shift every week and I don't think Coutinho was good at it. How often do we see Salah sprinting back or Mane acting as the second left back...

If anything, I think Klopp would like to have another forward of Firmino/Mane/Salah kind, if not of that quality. He already has Shaqiri as creative but not that tactically strong midfielder and hopefully he'll have AOC and Keita back as genuine all-action midfielders. Lallana can't replicate his 2016/17 form anymore, Origi lacks mental strength needed to turn him into a beast of a player, Sturridge is as good as gone... I really don't see where a player like Coutinho would fit there, especially if AOC and Keita finally regain their fitness and find their feet.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He is a front 3 player now. Will never be a #10 for Klopp, he already talked about it. To be one of the two #8's he'd have to work even harder. Not his strengths anymore (if they ever were, some games and periods aside), he's become first and foremost an attacker.
In midfield I'd prefer someone like Eriksen or Brandt. Up top I'd prefer someone faster more about scoring than creating.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I'd have him back. I'd love it if Moreno does join them on a free this summer but Barca don't realise that the €100m surcharge applies to all players registered with LFC as at 30 June 2019.

Don't worry Barca, Coutinho on a free and I'd call it quits.
Good points above. 2 hours later I've changed my mind.

We've moved on in more ways than one.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Personally believe we are in an awful situation up front. None of the 3 can be rotated and rested to keep them fresh and firing. Over 4 comps this is quite frankly ridiculous. To look at the level of cover we have at CB and CM compared to our front 3 it's night and day. Except for the quality of Mignolet and Moreno we have the options at GK and LB too. It's only really RB and AM where we also don't have the choices but we have a lot of options from CB and CM for RB.
I agree, Shaq did well early on in the season but has fallen away due to injury and maybe other reasons (pure speculation). Origi and Sturride really don't fill to many with confidence. We need strengthening in this area for sure, I wonder if we don't look for an out and out striker to come in possibly, adds another dimension would be complimentary for 4-2-3-1 - and gives Firmino a break or he moves wide to give the others a rest and hoepfully Shaq finds form again.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
It's really because there is no one who can challenge the front 3 that they are playing so much. Ideal situation is to have someone good enough to push them and who has the potential to play nearly as well or win a regular place if any of them regress or get injured.
Agree - I just can't see it being either of the two mentioned or someone we have to spend the sort of money they are talking for Sancho on. It maybe more like a Fabinho type transfer........

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
The team isn't 'crying out' for anything given its position, it's only the fans who are crying out for that sort of player.

That said, I'd take Coutinho back at a severely cut price. Good option out on the left.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The team isn't 'crying out' for anything given its position, it's only the fans who are crying out for that sort of player.

That said, I'd take Coutinho back at a severely cut price. Good option out on the left.
The gulf in class/quality from Salah/Mane/Firmino to the backup players is pretty large, so for me yes we are crying out for a genuine rotation option for our front 3. I think we've had a fair bit of luck this season in the fact none of our front 3 have been injured, if they had would we be doing so well?

Again when I say crying out, I mean the above is also potentially something that could happen again so the player coming in needs to be able to play multiple positions at a high level. I'm a bit surprised at the post saying he would never be a no.10 here? I'd be expecting if we started Firmino, Salah. Mane, Coutinho it would be so fluid actual positions would be a bit moot.

My point would be the same if it was Fekir, or Brandt or Werner. I think the team is crying out for a player who is good enough to drop into our front 3 and us not see a drop in quality. Allowing all players to be fresher and not risking burn out.

If we want to compete on all fronts (including domestic cups) I think this is needed long term.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The gulf in class/quality from Salah/Mane/Firmino to the backup players is pretty large, so for me yes we are crying out for a genuine rotation option for our front 3. I think we've had a fair bit of luck this season in the fact none of our front 3 have been injured, if they had would we be doing so well?

Again when I say crying out, I mean the above is also potentially something that could happen again so the player coming in needs to be able to play multiple positions at a high level. I'm a bit surprised at the post saying he would never be a no.10 here? I'd be expecting if we started Firmino, Salah. Mane, Coutinho it would be so fluid actual positions would be a bit moot.

My point would be the same if it was Fekir, or Brandt or Werner. I think the team is crying out for a player who is good enough to drop into our front 3 and us not see a drop in quality. Allowing all players to be fresher and not risking burn out.

If we want to compete on all fronts (including domestic cups) I think this is needed long term.
I guess the counter to the first point is that we have the option of changing formation if one of our front 3 is injured and our back up options are not strong enough for a particular game.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I guess the counter to the first point is that we have the option of changing formation if one of our front 3 is injured and our back up options are not strong enough for a particular game.
Yes of course, just saying what my personal opinion is. Who knows.. Is Origi turning into that player? Is Wilson going to return to fill it? Is it Brewster etc.. Lots of potential routes.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
1. Yes, we lack more technical qualities in our midfield and team overall, Coutinho does indeed provide that.
2. That doesn't mean Coutinho is primarily a midfielder, he's not.
3. In theory, I'd always have an important player like him back, but it wouldn't make real sense financially (in relation to our other needs at the moment) and it's not going to happen.
4. I don't think Barca are so desperate to sell him right now, probably Coutinho's camp leaking stories to see if they can attract interest from other top clubs.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I really, really wouldn't mind Liverpool getting Sessegnon and Hudson-Odoi this summer. When it comes to young, English players who want to develop and get minutes at a top club, not many will look past working with Klopp, Pochettino and Guardiola. These two would fit Liverpool like a glove, even if Sessegnon spent the most part of past two seasons playing on the wing and Hudson-Odoi still plays like a tricky, playmaking winger, rather than one who's aware that he has enough ability to score on a regular basis. I think Klopp would have a great time working with them, they have the exact combination of physical and technical qualities that Klopp likes his players to have.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I really, really wouldn't mind Liverpool getting Sessegnon
Hehe... I was about to ask, anyone fancy raiding Fulham? On paper they are the most talented squad that is going back to Championship,

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Don’t think we’ll sign Sessegnon.
He'll never be as good as Mané.
He'll never be as good as Robertson.

He wouldn’t be able to win a starting place here in the next few years.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Robertson was playing amateur football at the age Sessegnon is now and Mane was in Ligue 2, pretty laughable to write him off like that.

He's an 18 year old with impressive physical and technical attributes. No need to overthink it.