Who would you buy?

MW2833

I had never even heard of Robertson before the rumour of him joining and even then I would have much rather we got someone else. Look how that turned out.
Sessegnon is already a well-known player, who along with Brewster, Sancho etc. is the future of the England football team.
If he's available for a cheap price, buying him is a no-brainer imo.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Don’t think we’ll sign Sessegnon.
He'll never be as good as Mané.
He'll never be as good as Robertson.

He wouldn’t be able to win a starting place here in the next few years.
"Starting place" really needs to be banned in this forum. Absolutely hate it. At the very least there should be 15 top class players covering the 10 out field positions plus some either squad players or talented academy players on the cusp of breaking through.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Coutinho was a beast, even as number 8, imo. He played 11 games, with 5 goals and 3 assists in 17/18 (before leaving us). It's very difficult to find a player who could have such impact playing the number 8 position. It's his best position, imo. Also, defensively he is very underrated, he has better defensive stats than Gini, for example. Of course there's much more to it, but he wasn't clueless in terms of defending. The only downside is that he would get tired later in the second half.

About the "bad results" in the first part of the season, where people claim that Coutinho was a liability as number 8 and how we are better with three hardworkers in our midfield, I must remember a few things:

- VVD was not here and VVD was a game changer. Our defense was a mess before him
- Gomez wasn't a starter, Lovren was the starter for the first part of the season (and he was not good)
- Robertson wasn't a starter until later that season, I think post december/january, maybe?

Lastly, I think Klopp's goal is/was to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with an offensive midfielder. He tried that with Salah and Firmino but Shaqiri was not good enough defensively. Also, he tried to sign Fékir, who can only play through the middle, wich means he wouldn't be exactly a rotation player because Firmino is 100% a starter, so we would most probably play 4-2-3-1 with Fékir or Firmino behind 3 attackers.

We must remember that Klopp also played Lallana as number 8 in 16/17, Coutinho as number 8 in 17/18 and 4-2-3-1 a lot in this season. It's not like Klopp's main formation is three hardworkers, but that's the best possible situation he has today. Things would be different if we had someone like Fékir and that's something Klopp wants.

With all that being said, I doubt Klopp would even think about having Coutinho back, but I'm very positive we will have a new number 8/10 next season.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I really, really wouldn't mind Liverpool getting Sessegnon and Hudson-Odoi this summer. When it comes to young, English players who want to develop and get minutes at a top club, not many will look past working with Klopp, Pochettino and Guardiola. These two would fit Liverpool like a glove, even if Sessegnon spent the most part of past two seasons playing on the wing and Hudson-Odoi still plays like a tricky, playmaking winger, rather than one who's aware that he has enough ability to score on a regular basis. I think Klopp would have a great time working with them, they have the exact combination of physical and technical qualities that Klopp likes his players to have.
110% on board with this!

Add Declan Rice for a clean sweep :-)

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
Hehe... I was about to ask, anyone fancy raiding Fulham? On paper they are the most talented squad that is going back to Championship,
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want any of their players other than Sessegnon. Yeah, there were times when I considered Rico as an option but his form fell off a cliff, it seems, and their other players are not up to Liverpool's current standards or just don't fit Klopp's tactics.

Sessegnon, though, I don't expect him to become a world beater but he'd be playing for a club he's very fond of and for a coach who's great at developing players. Plus, I think there were reliable reports of Liverpool's interest in him, I doubt it passed just because he signed a new contract at the ripe age of 17/18. Maybe this one gets revised in the summer, we'll see.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want any of their players other than Sessegnon. Yeah, there were times when I considered Rico as an option but his form fell off a cliff, it seems, and their other players are not up to Liverpool's current standards or just don't fit Klopp's tactics.

Sessegnon, though, I don't expect him to become a world beater but he'd be playing for a club he's very fond of and for a coach who's great at developing players. Plus, I think there were reliable reports of Liverpool's interest in him, I doubt it passed just because he signed a new contract at the ripe age of 17/18. Maybe this one gets revised in the summer, we'll see.
Doesn’t he have a contract that expires in 2020 also? Means he wouldn’t be crazy expensive.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
He does? I thought it was a five-year contract or something.

Danny Sarge

Toby Alderweireld for 25m in today's market seems an absolute no brainer. I like Joe Gomez a lot and I mean a lot, but if we're looking to bring in a top CB to strengthen the team then he's your man. Will provide great competition for places and if Van Dijk ever gets injured, I'd be reassured that we've still got an organised top centre back who can lead from the back.

Plus if we don't get him, it's almost a guarantee Utd or City will.

MW2833

Toby Alderweireld for 25m in today's market seems an absolute no brainer. I like Joe Gomez a lot and I mean a lot, but if we're looking to bring in a top CB to strengthen the team then he's your man. Will provide great competition for places and if Van Dijk ever gets injured, I'd be reassured that we've still got an organised top centre back who can lead from the back.

Plus if we don't get him, it's almost a guarantee Utd or City will.
He already plays for us...

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Nothing special at Fulham for me. Sessegnon is still only 18 and has potential so he's maybe a target for some clubs. Their last summer arguably the worst in years considering money spent, what they needed and what they got in the end. Awful defence, both as a part of the team and how they defend as a collective. Changed 10 formations and ways of playing. Simply a mess. Kept hearing glowing reports on that Seri guy, linked with every top club in Europe, but there's a good reason why he ended up at Fulham and was nothing special there. Another one who was apparently a world beater without "anyone" watching him play and who will be quickly forgotten.

RedForever2014

If we're looking at our results and how and where we need to improve, it's clear that the ability to turn draws into wins would make a huge difference, plus deliver similar level performances from rotated sides during the intense autumn.

Rarely have we lost a lead in the second half, or the last 30 minutes, it's not being able to step up a level when faced with dogged opponents during the final 30 minutes that's been the issue.

Last night showed the importance of having 'power play' type players to bring off the bench and turn it up a level. We arguably have those players in midfield, less so up top.

Shaqiri did it against United, but for me doesn't have the pace or power to really make a difference often enough.

Personally I'd sell Shaqiri, Origi and Lallana (and Sturridge) and sign two forwards like a Fekir and/or Werner.

Better full back cover and a step up at centre back so VVD can be rested are other issues.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Rarely have we lost a lead in the second half, or the last 30 minutes, it's not being able to step up a level when faced with dogged opponents during the final 30 minutes that's been the issue.
We've won our last 5 games with help from late goals against dogged opponents. Palace wasn't too long ago either and there's Burnley away too. Late wins against United and Everton, late equaliser vs Chelsea. This hasn't been our issue, we're very good late on in matches.

What would be nice (and much healthier!) is if we could get ourselves in a comfortable position earlier.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
We've won our last 5 games with help from late goals against dogged opponents. Palace wasn't too long ago either and there's Burnley away too. Late wins against United and Everton, late equaliser vs Chelsea. This hasn't been our issue, we're very good late on in matches.

What would be nice (and much healthier!) is if we could get ourselves in a comfortable position earlier.
Man City's approach lately has been quite the opposite - blitz the opposition early, then conserve power. Guardiola buying a whole new eleven of top quality players did help a lot in that regard, though. I imagine it will happen for Klopp, too, if there are no more long term injuries like those suffered by AOC and Gomez and if he manages to add some genuine quality in place of Sturridge, Origi, Lallana and Moreno.

Anfield rd Dreamer

GermanRed

Other posters can judge and write about his image and his character.

Depay is a top player (Champions League material) who still has huge potential. The type of player Klopp can turn into one of the best in the world. Most importantly he would be able to cover many positions we need to strengthen.

The article says £26m - can’t be true but even at £40m Depay would be a no brainer and I would prefer him to all the players outside the Top6 in the PL.

Sweeting

If we are looking at young full backs to rotate with TAA and Robbo then there are two really impressive ones at Norwich - Max Aarons (19) and Jamal Lewis (21).

Both are highly attacking wing backs - Aarons, the RB, is possibly the slightly better attacker but Lewis, LB, is a little more tenacious as a defender. Of course signing both of Norwich's starting wing backs seems unlikely in the same window but I've watched them a fair few times this season and I think both could really add to our squad.

I would still pursue Ryan Sessegnon as well but with a view to using him as a winger not a full back.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If we're looking at our results and how and where we need to improve, it's clear that the ability to turn draws into wins would make a huge difference, plus deliver similar level performances from rotated sides during the intense autumn.

Last night showed the importance of having 'power play' type players to bring off the bench and turn it up a level. We arguably have those players in midfield, less so up top.

Shaqiri did it against United, but for me doesn't have the pace or power to really make a difference often enough.

Personally I'd sell Shaqiri, Origi and Lallana (and Sturridge) and sign two forwards like a Fekir and/or Werner.

Better full back cover and a step up at centre back so VVD can be rested are other issues.
I think you’re buying way too much into the media narrative about us not able to turn sides when we’re in a jam. We’ve been late goals winner more than any club this season. Our front 3 if given the right blend of creativity and support from midfield is unplayable.

RedSeven

On the one road
I look forward to gomez coming back but we don't know if he'll be back to the level prior to his injury or if he'll take some time to bed in.I think Lovren will probably be shown the door this summer due to injuries so with that in mind i'd like to see us finally go after Alderweired to partner VVD.Sturridge and origi may also leave this summer which will leave us very light up front,Milner and Lallana may also leave losing us options from the bench in midfield.
Sessegnon as cover and to rotate with Robertson and Mane could be a good shout.Would also like someone who can score goals from midfield,although OX should be back and i'd hope kieta will kick on next season and start getting some goals but still think we should be looking at someone creative in the middle of the park.A decent forward to rotate with the 3 lads up front is also a must.

Last edited:

BigJon

I look forward to gomez coming back but we don't know if he'll be back to the level prior to his injury or if he'll take some time to bed in.I think Lovren will probably be shown the door this summer due to injuries so with that in mind i'd like to see us finally go after Alderweired to partner VVD.Sturridge and origi may also leave this summer which will leave us very light up front,Milner and Lallana may also leave losing us options from the bench in midfield.
Sessegnon as cover and to rotate with Robertson and Mane could be a good shout.Would also like someone who can score goals from midfield,although OX should be back and i'd hope kieta will kick on next season and start getting some goals but still think we should be looking at someone creative in the middle of the park.A decent forward to rotate with the 3 lads up front is also a must.
Unless Lovren wants to leave I would think selling him would be a bad move - Isn't he Mo Salah's best mate at the club? Thats a boat you dont want to rock. Lovren could still get enough game time if he stays. I agree about Sessegnon - top player, although for a winger I would prefer Zaha of Crystal Palace.

GermanRed

Think Lovren is the type of character who sees himself as the clear first choice CB in most of the CL clubs and has the ambition to be the clear #2 behind VvD here.

Gomez is our second choice in the near future.

Matip started the last 14 (9 wins 5 draws).

The last time Lovren started he cost us against Man City.

Lovren has to decide what he will do next summer and I don’t think the club would block a move.

Anfield rd Dreamer

At their ages, occasional inconsistency and spotty availability I really believe that Lovren and Matip will be leaving over the next 3 summer's. Possibly sooner rather than later depending on the progression of academy players like Hoever and availability of long term targets. I don't think Klopp will buy a CB unless the perfect target becomes available but if one of Matip or Lovren want to leave a solution will be worked out. I wouldn't rule out a move for a CB at any time though because if the perfect player is available at the perfect time Klopp will bring them in. The act of bringing another CB in would probably lead to Lovren and/or Matip deciding it's time to move on anyway.

Kopstar

★★★★★
At their ages, occasional inconsistency and spotty availability I really believe that Lovren and Matip will be leaving over the next 3 summer's. Possibly sooner rather than later depending on the progression of academy players like Hoever and availability of long term targets. I don't think Klopp will buy a CB unless the perfect target becomes available but if one of Matip or Lovren want to leave a solution will be worked out. I wouldn't rule out a move for a CB at any time though because if the perfect player is available at the perfect time Klopp will bring them in. The act of bringing another CB in would probably lead to Lovren and/or Matip deciding it's time to move on anyway.
So you think that some time before the end of the summer in 2021 that one of Matip or Lovren will leave?

Pretty bold prediction.

GermanRed

Perfect scenario for me would be
- Lovren to ask for a move this summer and being replaced by a m35£ish CB. Don’t know who and what Klopp would be looking at. Maybe Diego Llorente - don’t know him - we were linked with him a few weeks ago.

- Matip to run out his contract until the end of next season. Not a big problem because we also signed him on a free.

- Hoever could be ready to be our #4 by that time.