• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Moise Kean is alright, looks properly built to lead the line in a physical league. Fantastic mix of physical qualities, similar to Origi, only with a spring in his step and bit of self-confidence and youthful fearlessness that Divock lacks. I always think of Drogba when I see these two, proper battering ram qualities about both but Kean looks to be the one who will fulfil his potential.

In terms of Liverpool, I'm not sure he's what Klopp needs at the moment. Maybe I'm overthinking it but when I think of forwards Klopp should sign, I always ask "would they be able to play in multiple roles". Kean wouldn't, at least I haven't seen anything about him that suggests he would. That said, he'll be an excellent out-and-out striker.
I wonder if the resurgence (small sample size) of Henderson as a no.8 and the chatter by Pep Ljinders about Neves being the level we should be looking at means Klopp is shifting to wanting another no.6 to rotate with Fabinho?

Forwards is harder to pin as I thought Brandt was nailed on, but he isn't exactly playing as a forward at the mo. More a no.8 and with Keita, Henderson (and Ox) to come back is that what we need? My preference would be Sancho and failing that Hudson-Odoi - Both world class talents.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I wonder if the resurgence (small sample size) of Henderson as a no.8 and the chatter by Pep Ljinders about Neves being the level we should be looking at means Klopp is shifting to wanting another no.6 to rotate with Fabinho?

Forwards is harder to pin as I thought Brandt was nailed on, but he isn't exactly playing as a forward at the mo. More a no.8 and with Keita, Henderson (and Ox) to come back is that what we need? My preference would be Sancho and failing that Hudson-Odoi - Both world class talents.
I would be surprised if that was the case. I would think he would continue to rotate with current options. Has Wijnaldum been offered a new contract yet?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Or we are forward planning the loss of Milner? A point is do we have any midfielders who could step into that void?

My comment comes from;

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/liverpool-coach-hints-at-interest-in-wolves-star-neves/hs68sa084beu15qc67ybmwtdi

We've also been weakly linked to Rice from West Ham.
Yes, i've seen that link yesterday - i dont put any value in it as it comes from a story from a portuguese paper which i thought wasnt very reliable for transfer stories. It's probably Pep just saying something nice about someone he knows and is being spun.

I think we are most definitely planning for life post Milner - he covers so much of our squad options that we have to get some of them boxed off this window.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Yes, i've seen that link yesterday - i dont put any value in it as it comes from a story from a portuguese paper which i thought wasnt very reliable for transfer stories. It's probably Pep just saying something nice about someone he knows and is being spun.

I think we are most definitely planning for life post Milner - he covers so much of our squad options that we have to get some of them boxed off this window.
Yep replacing Milner is a strange one.. His last 3 games for us have been at right back, left back and center mid.. Now that is a broad skillset!

My expectation is we get a left back or someone who can play left back to a high level but also other positions hence the thoughts about Sessegnon. Right back I think Gomez is the natural rotation with Trent, although I'd prefer not as he is best at center half (and it is less demand on his body).

Then you have the center mid equation - Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Gini, Oxlade you'd say 100% here next year with Lallana as a question mark. You may be right do we even need more bodies? I'd argue yes as it's probably the highest attritional position in Klopps team.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

Neves is good - that he is good enough to break into current first XI of Liverpool, I'm not sure. He's definitely different to other midfielders Klopp currently has at his disposal, his passing range and long shooting is insanely good. I believe that a decision on Grujić and Wilson won't be made yet but with Lallana's injury history and Milner's age, there might be a spot for another midfielder in the future. That said, I don't think this is a priority for Klopp, I still think that three players brought in this summer will be a centre back, a fullback and a forward of some sort.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Neves is good - that he is good enough to break into current first XI of Liverpool, I'm not sure. He's definitely different to other midfielders Klopp currently has at his disposal, his passing range and long shooting is insanely good. I believe that a decision on Grujić and Wilson won't be made yet but with Lallana's injury history and Milner's age, there might be a spot for another midfielder in the future. That said, I don't think this is a priority for Klopp, I still think that three players brought in this summer will be a centre back, a fullback and a forward of some sort.
I could definitely see a fullback and a forward plus a backup goalkeeper brought in. But what makes you so confident we will bring in a new centre back?

I'm not sure any of our current 4 will be leaving and I would think Hoever or Phillips (if he is ever healthy) could be a 5th choice thus lowering the possibility.

Jamie91

I could definitely see a fullback and a forward plus a backup goalkeeper brought in. But what makes you so confident we will bring in a new centre back?

I'm not sure any of our current 4 will be leaving and I would think Hoever or Phillips (if he is ever healthy) could be a 5th choice thus lowering the possibility.

I think Lovren will want to leave, and if we can get 30mil for him we will let him.

Nikola

Admin

Lovren will have two years on his current contract this summer and is still marketable, I think that Liverpool will have a few suitors for a centre back who's played Champions League and World Cup finals. I don't believe he's Liverpool material because of his inconsistency, Liverpool really need a better option, especially with Gomez' injury issues. Meanwhile, Matip has only one year left on his contract and it doesn't look like he will be getting a new one, meaning he will probably be released at the end of his current one.

That leaves enough space for one major CB signing, with Hoever maybe being promoted the season after the next. I really don't think Phillips is the answer, I wish all the best to lad but he just doesn't have the technical ability and pace to be a centre back in Klopp's side, nor the experience to make up for the lack of them (like Klavan did for most of the time).

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
A centre back signing isn't exactly necessary and should probably only be pursued if a particularly good deal comes along.

Skrinriar at a relatively low release clause? That would tick the box. If you can find a buyer for Lovren or Matip then it makes perfect sense. If not, we're good with what is already here.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I think Lovren has simply just skanked a breather after coming back knackered from the WC, and found he'd lost his place. I think he'll have a resurgence here, or maybe just a surgence. The Gomez injury situation is a real tough one however good he is if he cannot play it poses a difficult problem. So I also agree the club will not likely be looking to disturb the CB array unless they are forced to.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers

According to Kicker Thorgan Hazard agreed personal terms with Dortmund but Het Nieuwsblad in Belgium write that Gladbach prefers to sell to us.
Bless them

SithBaare

A centre back signing isn't exactly necessary and should probably only be pursued if a particularly good deal comes along.

Skrinriar at a relatively low release clause? That would tick the box. If you can find a buyer for Lovren or Matip then it makes perfect sense. If not, we're good with what is already here.
We need a CB as reinforcement. Gomez and Matip have had shitty luck with injuries so far during their liverpool days. We can't get into the position that we were in this season again when we've had to play fabinho in defense at one time.

SithBaare

Rather give Brewster a shot. Sancho and Odoi won't come cheap. Both great talents and would have the English premium.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We need a CB as reinforcement. Gomez and Matip have had shitty luck with injuries so far during their liverpool days. We can't get into the position that we were in this season again when we've had to play fabinho in defense at one time.
Why? Fabinho was right up there with Gomez just behind Van Dijk with his performance at CB. 2nd/3rd best CB at the club. I personally prefer to have him in CM but no doubt Henderson and Wijnaldum can cover that "number 6" role if we did need to play Fabinho at CB. Your post makes it sound like a catastrophe.

SithBaare

Why? Fabinho was right up there with Gomez just behind Van Dijk with his performance at CB. 2nd/3rd best CB at the club. I personally prefer to have him in CM but no doubt Henderson and Wijnaldum can cover that "number 6" role if we did need to play Fabinho at CB. Your post makes it sound like a catastrophe.
Those are quick fixes, Not something that can work for an extended period of time. I'd rather have Fabinho in midfield. Gomez/Matip/Lovren have all been injured this season and that could have potentially derailed our season. We'd still need one more CB. Maybe Hoever can do that role, A preseason training along with Virgil probably can help ease matters.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Those are quick fixes, Not something that can work for an extended period of time. I'd rather have Fabinho in midfield. Gomez/Matip/Lovren have all been injured this season and that could have potentially derailed our season. We'd still need one more CB. Maybe Hoever can do that role, A preseason training along with Virgil probably can help ease matters.
If we bring in a new CB we have to get rid of at least one we can't keep piling them up. Van Dijk and Gomez are going nowhere. Hoever is just starting out on a long term development which could see him used as emergency back up for now. Klopp doesn't seem concerned at the idea of using Fabinho (impressive), Wijnaldum (functional) or Henderson (unknown as missed his chance due to injury so Fabinho was used instead) there in emergencies. We've got other academy kids too as well as Hoever. Can't have Lovren, Matip and another on top of that. Need to choose Dejan and/or Joel to move on if someone is coming in.

Edit: Also no idea why they are quick fixes. Henderson and Wijnaldum are fine at number 6, top class. Henderson was our starter there for a long time and we were doing fine. Fabinho is just better, Van Dijk probably would be too though. If Klopp decided with Fabinho that's it's best for him and LFC for him to become a permanent CB I think it's fine. Fabinho is shit hot in CM but also at CB. It's just deciding whether its better to use Gomez/Matip/Lovren at CB or Henderson/Wijnaldum at number 6. As long as Van Dijk and Fabinho fill 2 out of 3 positions.

Last edited:

nikz200

In an ideal world, we should bolster the squad with one major signing and a few squad signings. With Origi rumoured to be up for a new contract https://lfcglobe.co.uk/liverpool-forward-divock-origi-in-line-for-unexpected-contract-extension/, i certainly would only look at bringing in one forward multi utility player who can play striker and along the wings. Timo Werner would be no 1 choice for that role, however in an ideal world, i can dream that we sign Dybala for that forward role. Harry wilson is coming back , so i wouldn't bother breaking the bank for wings, but if we do move shaqiri on , bring in Callum Hudson Odoi, kid is good and we can use him to rotate Salah or Mane.

Ruben Neves for the midfield is the realistic choice and the choice we all would want, but the kid is under the Jorge Mendes umbrella. That makes it difficult. Probably if not him a midfield veteran who can replace Milner moving forward.

I do feel we need backups for left back since Moreno is leaving and Milner can't play there forever. Lloyd Kelly would be worth a shot, or really push for Sessengnon (expensive). As for Right back, wouldn't mind seeing someone from the academy come up, since Clyne will want out as well. There is gomez who can play that position as well. Which brings us to CB, in which i have mixed feelings. Ideally, we could get De Ligt and our centre back pairing for the next 5 years would be set. I don't see it happening , not with Barca and Madrid aggressively lurking. After that there are a few different players the club could look at . I actually don't know what other Centre back we can get to play behind Van Dijk and Gomez.

zman89

We definitely need a young winger who can come on late in games and cause havoc on the wings. Someone speedy, direct and with good dribbling abilites. Origi has been doing well when coming on doing this role but I feel we can get someone else who is more of a winger than him. I am still undecided on the cb position but Gomez, Lovren and Matip are too injury prone to rely on them. Of course I would keep Gomez as he has the potential to be great, but personally I would sell one of Lovren and Matip and get a great CB in. It all depends on the budget we will have this summer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Klopp said earlier in the season that one of the reasons they bought Fabinho was because he could slot into defence if/when needed. With that in mind i dont think Klopp is that keen to add further CBs to our ranks - unless they also play multiple positions too.

He wants to reward those players at the club who have done well, while offering a clear route for those in the reserves/youth system to the first team if they show they are good enough and deserve a chance.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Looking at the side in a 433 I think we should be able to list an, arguable, starter for each position, a player or two to challenge that starter in that position and a couple of emergency options. Where we can't do that from existing players, academy players and players on loan tells me where we need to bring people in.

GK: Simplest, Alisson as starter, main back up/challenger plays nothing like him though. At some stage Mignolet needs replacing but not urgent unless he pushes. Kelleher or Grabara as emergency cover the other on loan.

CB: Van Dijk and Gomez as starters. Top class but need strong back up/challengers due to Gomez injury issues. Lovren and Matip are both good enough even though less consistent than the other two but both have major availability issues. We can improve by getting a CB at similar level with better availability. Whether it has to happen now is up for debate. Fabinho, other CMs, Hoever and other academy CBs offer plenty of emergency cover.

FB: Alexander-Arnold and Robertson make us the envy of the league in my eyes. Is Milner enough cover/competition? Is he even willing to stay for such a reduced role? Think with CMs, CBs and academy players we have enough emergency cover but depending on Milner we may need another good back up option.

Number 6: Fabinho. Nuff said. Henderson and Wijnaldum is extremely good cover/competition. Milner, CBs, maybe Trent, maybe somehow in the academy as emergency options? Unlikely to be needed though with 3 great options.

Number 8: For the more balanced number 8 we are absolutely spoilt for choice. I think it's just about Wijnaldum for the starting role but Henderson and Keita are both on the verge of being nailed on starters too. Milner, Ox (should be next position) and maybe Curtis Jones could be emergency options.

Number 8: For the more offensive number 8 I'm eagerly waiting on Ox coming back. I don't think Wijnaldum and Keita are perfect for it although Keita is the best option at the moment. As cover I'd even consider using Shaqiri and Wilson there, although maybe after a preseason to work on their defensive side first. Curtis Jones as an option too. Woodburn maybe? We could buy someone to challenge Ox, especially with his injury record. I think we need to say goodbye to Lallana though. Can't see how we can keep two players as 1st and 2nd choice for an important position with such injury records. If we don't buy someone maybe it'll be the chance for Wilson?

RW: Salah! Mane is also a great player here and Shaqiri can offer cover. After that kind of slim pickings. Maybe Brewster as an emergency option? Wilson? Not sure of anyone in the academy quite right/ready.

LW: Mane! But then an obvious hole. Been using Origi as a functional back up that's been better than expected. And I think this will be a position Brewster may get a couple of chances at. Maybe Wilson sometimes if he's with us next year? Think someone to really push Mane for starts is required. Especially as Mane is pretty much first back up on the right and 9/false 9.

9/false 9: Firmino is perfect for this role the way we play. Mane has shown he can play the right way too. Salah and Brewster are probably also going to be used here if a little differently. Woodburn could be developed into a Firmino style forward too. Depending on how much of an option Mane can be here determines if we need an option.

I'd be concentrating on bringing a real good left wing option in. Someone good enough to start in our impressive attack. If they can play on the right or central too then great. But that player frees up Mane to be first alternative on the right and up top. Meaning we have 4 top class players to fill 3 spots enabling us to keep all 4 fresh, rested and hungry. We'd then have some good back up options. I think Hudson-Odoi is primed and ready to explode onto the scene under a manager like Klopp in the way Sterling did under Rodgers or Sancho and Dembele have at Dortmund. Or maybe this Neres we've been linked too? Less sure on him.

I'd look for a player who can play as a real offensive number 8 but still do the slog work Klopp wants from his number 8's. Not just a work horse or a playmaker someone who can do both. If we don't sign someone I'd be looking at trying to convert Shaqiri and Wilson in to the role and seeing which one wins out as first back up to Ox. But if Eriksen, Brandt or Havertz could be brought in and trusted by Klopp in the role it could help take us up a level (scary thought).

I'd bring in a full back who can cover both sides if possible (but only if Camacho and Milner both leave otherwise I'd trust them two). A more appropriate in style GK to replace Mignolet if he pushes to leave. A more reliable CB to be a good, strong option if either or both of Lovren or Matip push to leave. These three moves aren't essential though but could help us make little minor improvements if any are completed.

Nikola

Admin
I have a feeling we’ll go big on Hudson-Adoi. After missing out on Jadon Sancho, I don’t think the club will want to miss out on the next big English talent.
Transfers like this one rarely happen because they seem too logical and there are already clubs like Bayern after him but, man, would he fit this side... He's more of a dribbler and a playmaker at the moment, precisely what Liverpool lack, and I can only imagine how good he'll be in five years' time. I hope Klopp is genuinely interested and I hope that the likes of Henderson, TAA and even Brewster are in his ear.