Who would you buy?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Those are quick fixes, Not something that can work for an extended period of time. I'd rather have Fabinho in midfield. Gomez/Matip/Lovren have all been injured this season and that could have potentially derailed our season. We'd still need one more CB. Maybe Hoever can do that role, A preseason training along with Virgil probably can help ease matters.
If we bring in a new CB we have to get rid of at least one we can't keep piling them up. Van Dijk and Gomez are going nowhere. Hoever is just starting out on a long term development which could see him used as emergency back up for now. Klopp doesn't seem concerned at the idea of using Fabinho (impressive), Wijnaldum (functional) or Henderson (unknown as missed his chance due to injury so Fabinho was used instead) there in emergencies. We've got other academy kids too as well as Hoever. Can't have Lovren, Matip and another on top of that. Need to choose Dejan and/or Joel to move on if someone is coming in.

Edit: Also no idea why they are quick fixes. Henderson and Wijnaldum are fine at number 6, top class. Henderson was our starter there for a long time and we were doing fine. Fabinho is just better, Van Dijk probably would be too though. If Klopp decided with Fabinho that's it's best for him and LFC for him to become a permanent CB I think it's fine. Fabinho is shit hot in CM but also at CB. It's just deciding whether its better to use Gomez/Matip/Lovren at CB or Henderson/Wijnaldum at number 6. As long as Van Dijk and Fabinho fill 2 out of 3 positions.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I have a feeling we’ll go big on Hudson-Adoi. After missing out on Jadon Sancho, I don’t think the club will want to miss out on the next big English talent.

nikz200

In an ideal world, we should bolster the squad with one major signing and a few squad signings. With Origi rumoured to be up for a new contract https://lfcglobe.co.uk/liverpool-forward-divock-origi-in-line-for-unexpected-contract-extension/, i certainly would only look at bringing in one forward multi utility player who can play striker and along the wings. Timo Werner would be no 1 choice for that role, however in an ideal world, i can dream that we sign Dybala for that forward role. Harry wilson is coming back , so i wouldn't bother breaking the bank for wings, but if we do move shaqiri on , bring in Callum Hudson Odoi, kid is good and we can use him to rotate Salah or Mane.

Ruben Neves for the midfield is the realistic choice and the choice we all would want, but the kid is under the Jorge Mendes umbrella. That makes it difficult. Probably if not him a midfield veteran who can replace Milner moving forward.

I do feel we need backups for left back since Moreno is leaving and Milner can't play there forever. Lloyd Kelly would be worth a shot, or really push for Sessengnon (expensive). As for Right back, wouldn't mind seeing someone from the academy come up, since Clyne will want out as well. There is gomez who can play that position as well. Which brings us to CB, in which i have mixed feelings. Ideally, we could get De Ligt and our centre back pairing for the next 5 years would be set. I don't see it happening , not with Barca and Madrid aggressively lurking. After that there are a few different players the club could look at . I actually don't know what other Centre back we can get to play behind Van Dijk and Gomez.

zman89

We definitely need a young winger who can come on late in games and cause havoc on the wings. Someone speedy, direct and with good dribbling abilites. Origi has been doing well when coming on doing this role but I feel we can get someone else who is more of a winger than him. I am still undecided on the cb position but Gomez, Lovren and Matip are too injury prone to rely on them. Of course I would keep Gomez as he has the potential to be great, but personally I would sell one of Lovren and Matip and get a great CB in. It all depends on the budget we will have this summer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Those are quick fixes, Not something that can work for an extended period of time. I'd rather have Fabinho in midfield. Gomez/Matip/Lovren have all been injured this season and that could have potentially derailed our season. We'd still need one more CB. Maybe Hoever can do that role, A preseason training along with Virgil probably can help ease matters.
Klopp said earlier in the season that one of the reasons they bought Fabinho was because he could slot into defence if/when needed. With that in mind i dont think Klopp is that keen to add further CBs to our ranks - unless they also play multiple positions too.

He wants to reward those players at the club who have done well, while offering a clear route for those in the reserves/youth system to the first team if they show they are good enough and deserve a chance.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Looking at the side in a 433 I think we should be able to list an, arguable, starter for each position, a player or two to challenge that starter in that position and a couple of emergency options. Where we can't do that from existing players, academy players and players on loan tells me where we need to bring people in.

GK: Simplest, Alisson as starter, main back up/challenger plays nothing like him though. At some stage Mignolet needs replacing but not urgent unless he pushes. Kelleher or Grabara as emergency cover the other on loan.

CB: Van Dijk and Gomez as starters. Top class but need strong back up/challengers due to Gomez injury issues. Lovren and Matip are both good enough even though less consistent than the other two but both have major availability issues. We can improve by getting a CB at similar level with better availability. Whether it has to happen now is up for debate. Fabinho, other CMs, Hoever and other academy CBs offer plenty of emergency cover.

FB: Alexander-Arnold and Robertson make us the envy of the league in my eyes. Is Milner enough cover/competition? Is he even willing to stay for such a reduced role? Think with CMs, CBs and academy players we have enough emergency cover but depending on Milner we may need another good back up option.

Number 6: Fabinho. Nuff said. Henderson and Wijnaldum is extremely good cover/competition. Milner, CBs, maybe Trent, maybe somehow in the academy as emergency options? Unlikely to be needed though with 3 great options.

Number 8: For the more balanced number 8 we are absolutely spoilt for choice. I think it's just about Wijnaldum for the starting role but Henderson and Keita are both on the verge of being nailed on starters too. Milner, Ox (should be next position) and maybe Curtis Jones could be emergency options.

Number 8: For the more offensive number 8 I'm eagerly waiting on Ox coming back. I don't think Wijnaldum and Keita are perfect for it although Keita is the best option at the moment. As cover I'd even consider using Shaqiri and Wilson there, although maybe after a preseason to work on their defensive side first. Curtis Jones as an option too. Woodburn maybe? We could buy someone to challenge Ox, especially with his injury record. I think we need to say goodbye to Lallana though. Can't see how we can keep two players as 1st and 2nd choice for an important position with such injury records. If we don't buy someone maybe it'll be the chance for Wilson?

RW: Salah! Mane is also a great player here and Shaqiri can offer cover. After that kind of slim pickings. Maybe Brewster as an emergency option? Wilson? Not sure of anyone in the academy quite right/ready.

LW: Mane! But then an obvious hole. Been using Origi as a functional back up that's been better than expected. And I think this will be a position Brewster may get a couple of chances at. Maybe Wilson sometimes if he's with us next year? Think someone to really push Mane for starts is required. Especially as Mane is pretty much first back up on the right and 9/false 9.

9/false 9: Firmino is perfect for this role the way we play. Mane has shown he can play the right way too. Salah and Brewster are probably also going to be used here if a little differently. Woodburn could be developed into a Firmino style forward too. Depending on how much of an option Mane can be here determines if we need an option.

I'd be concentrating on bringing a real good left wing option in. Someone good enough to start in our impressive attack. If they can play on the right or central too then great. But that player frees up Mane to be first alternative on the right and up top. Meaning we have 4 top class players to fill 3 spots enabling us to keep all 4 fresh, rested and hungry. We'd then have some good back up options. I think Hudson-Odoi is primed and ready to explode onto the scene under a manager like Klopp in the way Sterling did under Rodgers or Sancho and Dembele have at Dortmund. Or maybe this Neres we've been linked too? Less sure on him.

I'd look for a player who can play as a real offensive number 8 but still do the slog work Klopp wants from his number 8's. Not just a work horse or a playmaker someone who can do both. If we don't sign someone I'd be looking at trying to convert Shaqiri and Wilson in to the role and seeing which one wins out as first back up to Ox. But if Eriksen, Brandt or Havertz could be brought in and trusted by Klopp in the role it could help take us up a level (scary thought).

I'd bring in a full back who can cover both sides if possible (but only if Camacho and Milner both leave otherwise I'd trust them two). A more appropriate in style GK to replace Mignolet if he pushes to leave. A more reliable CB to be a good, strong option if either or both of Lovren or Matip push to leave. These three moves aren't essential though but could help us make little minor improvements if any are completed.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
I have a feeling we’ll go big on Hudson-Adoi. After missing out on Jadon Sancho, I don’t think the club will want to miss out on the next big English talent.
Transfers like this one rarely happen because they seem too logical and there are already clubs like Bayern after him but, man, would he fit this side... He's more of a dribbler and a playmaker at the moment, precisely what Liverpool lack, and I can only imagine how good he'll be in five years' time. I hope Klopp is genuinely interested and I hope that the likes of Henderson, TAA and even Brewster are in his ear.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
Question is how big would we have to go, given he'll be entering the last 12 months of his contract? Looks like a talent, I could see us dropping Ox-level money for him, which given his contract situation shouldn't be unreasonable?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Question is how big would we have to go, given he'll be entering the last 12 months of his contract? Looks like a talent, I could see us dropping Ox-level money for him, which given his contract situation shouldn't be unreasonable?
I think Bayern will be willing to go up to around £35/40 million or wait 6 months for half that fee or 12 months for minimal compensation. I would expect Chelsea would need to be seeing something quite a bit better than that to entertain selling to a rival within the league. Although it's not the first time they've done it so I do think they'll entertain the idea. But if there's two equal bids on the table they'll try and push the player to go abroad over a rival.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
The price might be 40ish for Bayern, and I could see a much higher price tag if they were to sell him to us. He's the perfect option though. We've looked at more than one young wide attacking player since Klopp has been manager. I hope we can sign someone with his general profile though, a very exciting, young, attacking player. I know Wilson is out there waiting for his chance, but I'm not sure how he compares to the Sancho's and Hudson-Adoi's of the world if I'm being honest. Right now, I'm considering Brewster more as a central player, although who knows what his future holds. That leaves a wide attacker as priority #1 on my list for over the summer. Depth at fullback, GK, and maybe CB depending on who wants out, but one more devastating attacking threat would be very nice, and if we could take Mane/Salah off every once in a while and let them play 70 minutes instead of 90 all the time would make a big difference.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
The price might be 40ish for Bayern, and I could see a much higher price tag if they were to sell him to us. He's the perfect option though. We've looked at more than one young wide attacking player since Klopp has been manager. I hope we can sign someone with his general profile though, a very exciting, young, attacking player. I know Wilson is out there waiting for his chance, but I'm not sure how he compares to the Sancho's and Hudson-Adoi's of the world if I'm being honest. Right now, I'm considering Brewster more as a central player, although who knows what his future holds. That leaves a wide attacker as priority #1 on my list for over the summer. Depth at fullback, GK, and maybe CB depending on who wants out, but one more devastating attacking threat would be very nice, and if we could take Mane/Salah off every once in a while and let them play 70 minutes instead of 90 all the time would make a big difference.
Wilson is interesting as he has all the ability and technical skill needed.. The problem is he maybe lacks that yard of pace and physicality you need in the Premiership.

I'd love Brewster to fill the void as Firmino's rotation option, could save us a fortune.

That means we can go all out on a player like Hudson-Odoi, Felix etc.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Strangely, I am reposting this post of mine from another thread, as this post of mine looks more apt here..

I would go with Alisson, VVD, Robbo, TAA, Mane, Mo and Bobby for first pot for player of the season. They have been consistent thru' the season so far.

And Gomez, Fabinho, Wij, Hendo and Milner as pot 2. They have been playing top top class - but not consistent thru' the season due to various reasons.

And consolation prices to Shaq, Origi and Matip and Keita for they have done something right but only here and there.

Lovren, Ox, Lallana, DS, Mignolet, Clyne and Moreno have done nothing much this year due to various reasons.

Of the last set, Ox, Mignolet and Lovren can be persisted with. Clyne, Moreno, Lallana and DS need to be replaced....

Mascot88

Admin
Wilson is interesting as he has all the ability and technical skill needed.. The problem is he maybe lacks that yard of pace and physicality you need in the Premiership.
I agree with this, but the way he has preformed at Derby has given Klopp a problem. The lad has done everything that has been asked of him. How can Klopp not given him a chance? What would it say to another young player when a lad who has performed as well as him isn’t given a chance?

Limiescouse

I agree with this, but the way he has preformed at Derby has given Klopp a problem. The lad has done everything that has been asked of him. How can Klopp not given him a chance? What would it say to another young player when a lad who has performed as well as him isn’t given a chance?
What do you mean by "a chance"?

Mascot88

Admin
What do you mean by "a chance"?
I mean a place in the squad, regular bench appearances, the cups, and 3-4 starts. Basically playing a squad role, with an opportunity for more.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

It would say Wilson wasn´t good enough in Klopp´s view but TAA was and that´s why he´s a regular at right back. So if I want to be a regular I have to be good enough.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Wilson being an option is dependent on Shaqiri leaving, there's barely a place for one of those in our 433 never mind both. If we were to allow Milner and Lallana to leave he could be an option as our 6th midfielder, I think he has some potential in the 8 role.

If Brewster is given a proper chance then I think any kid just needs to look at him, Trent or Gomez to know they'll get given opportunities if they're good enough.

Limiescouse

I mean a place in the squad, regular bench appearances, the cups, and 3-4 starts. Basically playing a squad role, with an opportunity for more.
If he comes back and can demonstrate that he is comparably effective as the players who currently have that role then only a mug would chose not to use him. If he cannot then only a mug would keep him. The shots that kids have to earn (not given) cannot realistically be done by performing well in a lower division given the modern disparity in quality and level of competition between that and the top of the top league.

GaryBarlow99

We don't need to buy anyone. In fact I would sell everyone bar the first 11 so choices need to be made by Klopp on who leaves from the midfield and the defence. Fuck having a squad. I mean nobody will want to come to make up the numbers, play with some of the best players in the world or challenge for titles and cups every year.

Anfield rd Dreamer

We don't need to buy anyone. In fact I would sell everyone bar the first 11 so choices need to be made by Klopp on who leaves from the midfield and the defence. Fuck having a squad. I mean nobody will want to come to make up the numbers, play with some of the best players in the world or challenge for titles and cups every year.
I think there may be a slight trace of sarcasm here........ maybe!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
We'd probably be sorted for the midfield if we get the likes of Grujic and Wilson back. Especially the former. But a marquee signing in midfield will show a huge statement of intent.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I agree with this.

He appears (from the outside looking in of course) to be a real professional. Trains hard, not put a word or facial expression out of place yet. Has impressed at every playing level he's been given a chance at.

Those saying about the difference between our level and the Championship seem to be assuming that's his level. I'm not sure why?

Just because he's impressed at Championship level (the highest he's played except, arguably, for Wales) doesn't mean he can't play higher. He needs to actually be tried higher for that to be found out.

I'm sure some wanted to get Neves and/or Sessegnon straight from the Championship last season and they were no more impressive despite playing for more impressive sides.

Also Brewster has been earmarked for chances but they haven't been given yet due to injury. Gomez already played plenty before injury before Klopp arrived.

At the moment the evidence of his success with introducing youth players here is Trent. And a cynic could say he only got chances due to Clyne getting injured.

I'm a believer in Klopp and his development of youth players but we shouldn't just assume all young players on the outside looking in will agree, especially when they have agents doing Wormtongue impressions in their ear with ulterior motives.

Wilson impressing but not getting chances, Woodburn having quite a high profile but not getting chances and now this Camacho issue all have the potential to look like red flags to a young player choosing his next club.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We are really having many choices to look at in attacking role - Dybala, Werner, Jovic, Brandt, Eriksen, etc.
But I don't see much choices for LB or RB who are linked to us or realistic. Who do you think we should look at for these 2 positions.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I agree with this.

He appears (from the outside looking in of course) to be a real professional. Trains hard, not put a word or facial expression out of place yet. Has impressed at every playing level he's been given a chance at.

Those saying about the difference between our level and the Championship seem to be assuming that's his level. I'm not sure why?

Just because he's impressed at Championship level (the highest he's played except, arguably, for Wales) doesn't mean he can't play higher. He needs to actually be tried higher for that to be found out.

I'm sure some wanted to get Neves and/or Sessegnon straight from the Championship last season and they were no more impressive despite playing for more impressive sides.

Also Brewster has been earmarked for chances but they haven't been given yet due to injury. Gomez already played plenty before injury before Klopp arrived.

At the moment the evidence of his success with introducing youth players here is Trent. And a cynic could say he only got chances due to Clyne getting injured.

I'm a believer in Klopp and his development of youth players but we shouldn't just assume all young players on the outside looking in will agree, especially when they have agents doing Wormtongue impressions in their ear with ulterior motives.

Wilson impressing but not getting chances, Woodburn having quite a high profile but not getting chances and now this Camacho issue all have the potential to look like red flags to a young player choosing his next club.
I think I was pretty straight forward in my assessment of Wilson. There is a reason why the likes of Hudson-Odoi, Sterling, Ibe (even) have all managed to get minutes in the Premiership.. Pace and physicality, it can mask a fucktron of deficiencies whilst a player learns the intensity and the other skills needed. It's also something nearly impossible to train up to quickly and can take years and years if it's not natural.

It's also why the golden boy of the skyblueshite Foden hardly gets any proper minutes.

You mention Sessegnon.. Yet he is absolutely rapid and has great athleticism.

Wilson's next step is to go on loan to a Premiership club and prove he can cut the mustard at that level. This doesn't mean he couldn't be a star for Wales, or if he moved to Italy/Germany he'd play for a top club there either.. The Premiership is the fastest and most physically demanding league on the planet, so it's nothing to do with Klopp not giving him his chance. If he was 5/6th choice he has to be able to come on and make an impact (look at Origi) I don't think yet he can do that so he would just be here to train with the 1st team which at his age is completely counter productive.

Klopp will give youth a chance, but also won't throw them in if they don't add to the team. Wilson just may have a longer route to the 1st team whilst his body catches up to his natural technical ability.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Wilson reminds me a lot of David Silva. When he first came to the Premiership there were concerns about his physicality and how he'd adapt. His best position was also hard to pin down. Di Maria was similar.

I still look at Silva and think that really he shouldn't be able to do what he does in the PL and yet he's been consistently brilliant for nearly a decade.

I think the main issue is not whether Wilson can be successful in the PL but whether he can play for Klopp’s Liverpool as that's a completely different proposition to playing for a City or Arsenal.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I agree with this.

He didn't rush to put Fabinho, Ox, Robertson or Keita into his team either. You get into this team on merit.

Also, Klopp was the one who gave Woodburn his opportunity, along with Hoever, Camacho and Jones. Brewster would have featured if he hadnt been injured. Solanke also had a chance to prove himself before leaving. Gomez may have played previously, but this is the first season he looked any good at CB.

He's also seen most of these players train regularly with the first team, so it's safe to say that were they looking the part they would be featuring in the first team squad on matchday. If they are Not, then it's probably with very good reason.

I don't think Wilson provides any difficulties for Klopp. He either thinks he can contribute or he doesn't. We've seen that Klopp is adaptable to fit players into his squad if they have what he wants - but if they lack the pace or physicality that's a big problem for him regardless of what they do elsewhere.

Mascot88

Admin
I don't think Wilson provides any difficulties for Klopp.
The difficulty is that next time the club are trying to sign a young player, or persuade in to sign a new contract, and are giving it the ‘work hard and put the hours in, and you’ll get chances’, the players representatives can say ‘did you say this to Harry Wilson too?’

Kopstar

★★★★★
The difficulty is that next time the club are trying to sign a young player, or persuade in to sign a new contract, and are giving it the ‘work hard and put the hours in, and you’ll get chances’, the players representatives can say ‘did you say this to Harry Wilson too?’
What we can say is that we won't allow their career to stagnate. They'll either get chances or they'll be allowed to move on.

"Do you want a crack at playing for the best team, under the best manager, in front of the best fans?"