• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I have a feeling we’ll go big on Hudson-Adoi. After missing out on Jadon Sancho, I don’t think the club will want to miss out on the next big English talent.
Transfers like this one rarely happen because they seem too logical and there are already clubs like Bayern after him but, man, would he fit this side... He's more of a dribbler and a playmaker at the moment, precisely what Liverpool lack, and I can only imagine how good he'll be in five years' time. I hope Klopp is genuinely interested and I hope that the likes of Henderson, TAA and even Brewster are in his ear.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I have a feeling we’ll go big on Hudson-Adoi. After missing out on Jadon Sancho, I don’t think the club will want to miss out on the next big English talent.
Question is how big would we have to go, given he'll be entering the last 12 months of his contract? Looks like a talent, I could see us dropping Ox-level money for him, which given his contract situation shouldn't be unreasonable?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Question is how big would we have to go, given he'll be entering the last 12 months of his contract? Looks like a talent, I could see us dropping Ox-level money for him, which given his contract situation shouldn't be unreasonable?
I think Bayern will be willing to go up to around £35/40 million or wait 6 months for half that fee or 12 months for minimal compensation. I would expect Chelsea would need to be seeing something quite a bit better than that to entertain selling to a rival within the league. Although it's not the first time they've done it so I do think they'll entertain the idea. But if there's two equal bids on the table they'll try and push the player to go abroad over a rival.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
The price might be 40ish for Bayern, and I could see a much higher price tag if they were to sell him to us. He's the perfect option though. We've looked at more than one young wide attacking player since Klopp has been manager. I hope we can sign someone with his general profile though, a very exciting, young, attacking player. I know Wilson is out there waiting for his chance, but I'm not sure how he compares to the Sancho's and Hudson-Adoi's of the world if I'm being honest. Right now, I'm considering Brewster more as a central player, although who knows what his future holds. That leaves a wide attacker as priority #1 on my list for over the summer. Depth at fullback, GK, and maybe CB depending on who wants out, but one more devastating attacking threat would be very nice, and if we could take Mane/Salah off every once in a while and let them play 70 minutes instead of 90 all the time would make a big difference.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The price might be 40ish for Bayern, and I could see a much higher price tag if they were to sell him to us. He's the perfect option though. We've looked at more than one young wide attacking player since Klopp has been manager. I hope we can sign someone with his general profile though, a very exciting, young, attacking player. I know Wilson is out there waiting for his chance, but I'm not sure how he compares to the Sancho's and Hudson-Adoi's of the world if I'm being honest. Right now, I'm considering Brewster more as a central player, although who knows what his future holds. That leaves a wide attacker as priority #1 on my list for over the summer. Depth at fullback, GK, and maybe CB depending on who wants out, but one more devastating attacking threat would be very nice, and if we could take Mane/Salah off every once in a while and let them play 70 minutes instead of 90 all the time would make a big difference.
Wilson is interesting as he has all the ability and technical skill needed.. The problem is he maybe lacks that yard of pace and physicality you need in the Premiership.

I'd love Brewster to fill the void as Firmino's rotation option, could save us a fortune.

That means we can go all out on a player like Hudson-Odoi, Felix etc.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Strangely, I am reposting this post of mine from another thread, as this post of mine looks more apt here..

I would go with Alisson, VVD, Robbo, TAA, Mane, Mo and Bobby for first pot for player of the season. They have been consistent thru' the season so far.

And Gomez, Fabinho, Wij, Hendo and Milner as pot 2. They have been playing top top class - but not consistent thru' the season due to various reasons.

And consolation prices to Shaq, Origi and Matip and Keita for they have done something right but only here and there.

Lovren, Ox, Lallana, DS, Mignolet, Clyne and Moreno have done nothing much this year due to various reasons.

Of the last set, Ox, Mignolet and Lovren can be persisted with. Clyne, Moreno, Lallana and DS need to be replaced....

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Wilson is interesting as he has all the ability and technical skill needed.. The problem is he maybe lacks that yard of pace and physicality you need in the Premiership.
I agree with this, but the way he has preformed at Derby has given Klopp a problem. The lad has done everything that has been asked of him. How can Klopp not given him a chance? What would it say to another young player when a lad who has performed as well as him isn’t given a chance?

Limiescouse

I agree with this, but the way he has preformed at Derby has given Klopp a problem. The lad has done everything that has been asked of him. How can Klopp not given him a chance? What would it say to another young player when a lad who has performed as well as him isn’t given a chance?
What do you mean by "a chance"?

Mascot88

Admin
What do you mean by "a chance"?
I mean a place in the squad, regular bench appearances, the cups, and 3-4 starts. Basically playing a squad role, with an opportunity for more.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

It would say Wilson wasn´t good enough in Klopp´s view but TAA was and that´s why he´s a regular at right back. So if I want to be a regular I have to be good enough.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Wilson being an option is dependent on Shaqiri leaving, there's barely a place for one of those in our 433 never mind both. If we were to allow Milner and Lallana to leave he could be an option as our 6th midfielder, I think he has some potential in the 8 role.

If Brewster is given a proper chance then I think any kid just needs to look at him, Trent or Gomez to know they'll get given opportunities if they're good enough.

Limiescouse

I mean a place in the squad, regular bench appearances, the cups, and 3-4 starts. Basically playing a squad role, with an opportunity for more.
If he comes back and can demonstrate that he is comparably effective as the players who currently have that role then only a mug would chose not to use him. If he cannot then only a mug would keep him. The shots that kids have to earn (not given) cannot realistically be done by performing well in a lower division given the modern disparity in quality and level of competition between that and the top of the top league.

GaryBarlow99

We don't need to buy anyone. In fact I would sell everyone bar the first 11 so choices need to be made by Klopp on who leaves from the midfield and the defence. Fuck having a squad. I mean nobody will want to come to make up the numbers, play with some of the best players in the world or challenge for titles and cups every year.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We don't need to buy anyone. In fact I would sell everyone bar the first 11 so choices need to be made by Klopp on who leaves from the midfield and the defence. Fuck having a squad. I mean nobody will want to come to make up the numbers, play with some of the best players in the world or challenge for titles and cups every year.
I think there may be a slight trace of sarcasm here........ maybe!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
We'd probably be sorted for the midfield if we get the likes of Grujic and Wilson back. Especially the former. But a marquee signing in midfield will show a huge statement of intent.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I agree with this.

He appears (from the outside looking in of course) to be a real professional. Trains hard, not put a word or facial expression out of place yet. Has impressed at every playing level he's been given a chance at.

Those saying about the difference between our level and the Championship seem to be assuming that's his level. I'm not sure why?

Just because he's impressed at Championship level (the highest he's played except, arguably, for Wales) doesn't mean he can't play higher. He needs to actually be tried higher for that to be found out.

I'm sure some wanted to get Neves and/or Sessegnon straight from the Championship last season and they were no more impressive despite playing for more impressive sides.

Also Brewster has been earmarked for chances but they haven't been given yet due to injury. Gomez already played plenty before injury before Klopp arrived.

At the moment the evidence of his success with introducing youth players here is Trent. And a cynic could say he only got chances due to Clyne getting injured.

I'm a believer in Klopp and his development of youth players but we shouldn't just assume all young players on the outside looking in will agree, especially when they have agents doing Wormtongue impressions in their ear with ulterior motives.

Wilson impressing but not getting chances, Woodburn having quite a high profile but not getting chances and now this Camacho issue all have the potential to look like red flags to a young player choosing his next club.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We are really having many choices to look at in attacking role - Dybala, Werner, Jovic, Brandt, Eriksen, etc.
But I don't see much choices for LB or RB who are linked to us or realistic. Who do you think we should look at for these 2 positions.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I agree with this.

He appears (from the outside looking in of course) to be a real professional. Trains hard, not put a word or facial expression out of place yet. Has impressed at every playing level he's been given a chance at.

Those saying about the difference between our level and the Championship seem to be assuming that's his level. I'm not sure why?

Just because he's impressed at Championship level (the highest he's played except, arguably, for Wales) doesn't mean he can't play higher. He needs to actually be tried higher for that to be found out.

I'm sure some wanted to get Neves and/or Sessegnon straight from the Championship last season and they were no more impressive despite playing for more impressive sides.

Also Brewster has been earmarked for chances but they haven't been given yet due to injury. Gomez already played plenty before injury before Klopp arrived.

At the moment the evidence of his success with introducing youth players here is Trent. And a cynic could say he only got chances due to Clyne getting injured.

I'm a believer in Klopp and his development of youth players but we shouldn't just assume all young players on the outside looking in will agree, especially when they have agents doing Wormtongue impressions in their ear with ulterior motives.

Wilson impressing but not getting chances, Woodburn having quite a high profile but not getting chances and now this Camacho issue all have the potential to look like red flags to a young player choosing his next club.
I think I was pretty straight forward in my assessment of Wilson. There is a reason why the likes of Hudson-Odoi, Sterling, Ibe (even) have all managed to get minutes in the Premiership.. Pace and physicality, it can mask a fucktron of deficiencies whilst a player learns the intensity and the other skills needed. It's also something nearly impossible to train up to quickly and can take years and years if it's not natural.

It's also why the golden boy of the skyblueshite Foden hardly gets any proper minutes.

You mention Sessegnon.. Yet he is absolutely rapid and has great athleticism.

Wilson's next step is to go on loan to a Premiership club and prove he can cut the mustard at that level. This doesn't mean he couldn't be a star for Wales, or if he moved to Italy/Germany he'd play for a top club there either.. The Premiership is the fastest and most physically demanding league on the planet, so it's nothing to do with Klopp not giving him his chance. If he was 5/6th choice he has to be able to come on and make an impact (look at Origi) I don't think yet he can do that so he would just be here to train with the 1st team which at his age is completely counter productive.

Klopp will give youth a chance, but also won't throw them in if they don't add to the team. Wilson just may have a longer route to the 1st team whilst his body catches up to his natural technical ability.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Wilson reminds me a lot of David Silva. When he first came to the Premiership there were concerns about his physicality and how he'd adapt. His best position was also hard to pin down. Di Maria was similar.

I still look at Silva and think that really he shouldn't be able to do what he does in the PL and yet he's been consistently brilliant for nearly a decade.

I think the main issue is not whether Wilson can be successful in the PL but whether he can play for Klopp’s Liverpool as that's a completely different proposition to playing for a City or Arsenal.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I agree with this.

He didn't rush to put Fabinho, Ox, Robertson or Keita into his team either. You get into this team on merit.

Also, Klopp was the one who gave Woodburn his opportunity, along with Hoever, Camacho and Jones. Brewster would have featured if he hadnt been injured. Solanke also had a chance to prove himself before leaving. Gomez may have played previously, but this is the first season he looked any good at CB.

He's also seen most of these players train regularly with the first team, so it's safe to say that were they looking the part they would be featuring in the first team squad on matchday. If they are Not, then it's probably with very good reason.

I don't think Wilson provides any difficulties for Klopp. He either thinks he can contribute or he doesn't. We've seen that Klopp is adaptable to fit players into his squad if they have what he wants - but if they lack the pace or physicality that's a big problem for him regardless of what they do elsewhere.

Mascot88

Admin
I don't think Wilson provides any difficulties for Klopp.
The difficulty is that next time the club are trying to sign a young player, or persuade in to sign a new contract, and are giving it the ‘work hard and put the hours in, and you’ll get chances’, the players representatives can say ‘did you say this to Harry Wilson too?’

Kopstar

★★★★★★
The difficulty is that next time the club are trying to sign a young player, or persuade in to sign a new contract, and are giving it the ‘work hard and put the hours in, and you’ll get chances’, the players representatives can say ‘did you say this to Harry Wilson too?’
What we can say is that we won't allow their career to stagnate. They'll either get chances or they'll be allowed to move on.

"Do you want a crack at playing for the best team, under the best manager, in front of the best fans?"

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Not every player is going to fit the requirements of the team - are you suggesting Klopp deliberately plays someone he doesn't think is ready or suitable, just so he can tell future signings that they will get chances or would you prefer him to be upfront about their opportunities?

Like @Kopstar says, under Klopp we can highlight that we are adding value with a number of young players we can show are going on to have good careers, even if they don't succeed here - we're not simply stock piling.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Not every player is going to fit the requirements of the team - are you suggesting Klopp deliberately plays someone he doesn't think is ready or suitable, just so he can tell future signings that they will get chances or would you prefer him to be upfront about their opportunities?

Like @Kopstar says, under Klopp we can highlight that we are adding value with a number of young players we can show are going on to have good careers, even if they don't succeed here - we're not simply stock piling.
It's also relevant to any potential signing that, as brutal as this may sound, Wilson wasn't signed by Klopp. There are bound to be players at the club before Klopp arrived who simply don't suit his style of play. That's not to say Wilson is one of them but if he doesn't get a shot in the first team then that's a reasonable explanation when in discussions with other potential future stars.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@Kopstar and @redfanman I think you are both missing the point. Klopps style and reputation is built on working hard and you'll get your chances. So far Wilson hasn't had a chance for the senior side. It doesn't matter whether he signed him or not, Wilson has done everything asked of him and passed every test he's been allowed to sit. Now if Klopp gives him a few chances next season before then letting him move on in Jan or next summer for being a poor fit, then that's fine. But to not give him a chance to see if he can adapt to Klopps needs during at least a 6 month period says that it isn't quite true about "work hard and you'll get your chance"! Klopp was reluctant to use Henderson further forward in his 3 man midfield and has admitted he had it wrong. Just because a player doesn't seem like they'd be able to suit a role doesn't mean they definitely won't be able to suit it. The only way to know if Wilson can play in a Klopp side is to give him a few chances. If it doesn't work he can move on. But to not give him the chance it seems a bit wrong.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Klopp has great judgement, a clear idea of what is necessary to play in this team and Wilson has been a Liverpool player for the 3 and a half years Klopp has been here.

He is in a perfect position to judge whether Wilson is suitable or not before he has given him a chance in the first team.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
@Kopstar and @redfanman I think you are both missing the point. Klopps style and reputation is built on working hard and you'll get your chances. So far Wilson hasn't had a chance for the senior side. It doesn't matter whether he signed him or not, Wilson has done everything asked of him and passed every test he's been allowed to sit. Now if Klopp gives him a few chances next season before then letting him move on in Jan or next summer for being a poor fit, then that's fine. But to not give him a chance to see if he can adapt to Klopps needs during at least a 6 month period says that it isn't quite true about "work hard and you'll get your chance"! Klopp was reluctant to use Henderson further forward in his 3 man midfield and has admitted he had it wrong. Just because a player doesn't seem like they'd be able to suit a role doesn't mean they definitely won't be able to suit it. The only way to know if Wilson can play in a Klopp side is to give him a few chances. If it doesn't work he can move on. But to not give him the chance it seems a bit wrong.
Klopp had him train regularly with the first team a year ago. You make it sound like he's never met the bloke and the only way to know is to play him in the first team, which is simply not true.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
"Hendo is a brilliant player," Klopp said.

"I’m really happy that he can show that again.

"He obviously likes the position. We've not used him there for one and a half years.

"Sorry about that!

"But we needed him there. A really good performance with brilliant passes."

If Klopp can admit he was wrong over his use of his captain (an almost ever present) I don't know why posters are surprised I'm saying he needs to see what Wilson can do on the pitch before deciding?

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
"Hendo is a brilliant player," Klopp said.

"I’m really happy that he can show that again.

"He obviously likes the position. We've not used him there for one and a half years.

"Sorry about that!

"But we needed him there. A really good performance with brilliant passes."

If Klopp can admit he was wrong over his use of his captain (an almost ever present) I don't know why posters are surprised I'm saying he needs to see what Wilson can do on the pitch before deciding?
TBH i took Klopps comments to be a little tongue in cheek.