Who would you buy?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I was responding to a person who did that make claim.
Who? The others have advocated bringing Odoi/Brandt/Sancho in as well.

Salah and Mane can cover centre forward better than Firmino/Origi/Chamberlain/Shaqiri can cover the wide areas, so it would make more sense to prioritise a wide player. A player who can drbble well would be ideal, that's not Werner (or Brewster for that matter).

Red over the water

I'd prefer;

CF: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Brewster
Wings: Salah, Mane, Hudson-Odoi/Sancho

Than;
CF: Firmino, Werner, Mane, Salah, Brewster
Wings: Salah, Mane, Werner

If it's a straight choice between adding a CF that can play wide or a wide player allowing Mane and Brewster to play CF more I'd go with the wide player.
When I see it like this, I'm on board. A goalscoring winger is more of a priority than another centre forward, since Mane and Salah can also play centrally, and Brewster will start to need some minutes next season too.

If not Hudson-Odoi or Sancho, perhaps Bergwijn? Or maybe Neres?

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I don't buy this notion that a winger is more of a priority. We buy the best damn goal scoring option we can get... as the others forwards we have are quite flexible.

To me that is Jovic. Unless you are a freak of a workhorse, mad pressing machine like Firmino... then the primary goal of our forwards is to score. If we need to loan out Brewster to get experience then we do so, but he isn't ready to be anyone's long-term backup if any of our front 3 get injured.

On Hudson-Odoi... he looks great but if Salah is out for a couple months are you confident our goalscoring won't miss a beat? I'm not.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I don't buy this notion that a winger is more of a priority. We buy the best damn goal scoring option we can get... as the others forwards we have are quite flexible.

To me that is Jovic. Unless you are a freak of a workhorse, mad pressing machine like Firmino... then the primary goal of our forwards is to score. If we need to loan out Brewster to get experience then we do so, but he isn't ready to be anyone's long-term backup if any of our front 3 get injured.

On Hudson-Odoi... he looks great but if Salah is out for a couple months are you confident our goalscoring won't miss a beat? I'm not.
If Salah is out for a couple of months we'll struggle to replicate his form regardless of who we sign, simply by virtue of Salah being one of the best forwards on the planet.

It wasn't long ago before Gomez and Trent weren't 'ready', yet now they're first picks in what is a world class side. It's not necessary to be so conservative young players if they're good enough.

Everybody wants young players to come through but nobody wants to give them a proper chance. We should roll the dice on Brewster.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Hudson-Odoi would do better covering for Salah than anyone else currently in our side. Hudson-Odoi, Firmino, Mane would be better than Mane, Jovic, Firmino.

redfanman

TIA Regular

If we lose Mane or Salah to injury, we lose more than just the goals they score and I don't think they are so easily replaced within the current squad, nor from bringing in some one just because they score goals.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Hudson-Odoi would do better covering for Salah than anyone else currently in our side. Hudson-Odoi, Firmino, Mane would be better than Mane, Jovic, Firmino.
Better at what? At keeping play similar? We are comparing someone who has been among the top few elite strikers in Europe for a season and a half, with someone who has impressed in a handful of games versus cherry-picked weaker competition.

Not that Hudson-Odoi isn't going to become a great player in the future but Chelsea is going to prefer to sell abroad and he still has lots to learn about playing against better competition. For example, as the only top team he has played against, we were able to nullify his game simply by giving him less space.

Frankly, if either or both were available then we should do all we can do to get them. But I think Jovic will be off to Real Madrid / Barcelona while Hudson-Odoi will be sold outside England.