• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Huh?

Both of them will definitely get an offer.
I haven't read literally any rumour about them being offered new contracts - even Origi was unreliably rumoured to be getting an offer from the club. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but Klopp and Edwards usually like to tie down players earlier. Judging by their performances with respect to the role they have in this squad, I'd be surprised if these two didn't get them but I also think that Matip is more likely to run down his current contract and play regularly somewhere else. Again, it's just a feeling, we'll see.

RedForever2014

I think it's clear that Origi and Sturridge offer no real genuine rotation up front, at anywhere near the level of the first choice front three.

For all the protestations about forward players not wanting to come to be a bench player, and the front three wanting to start most matches, we simply have to ensure we aren't so heavily reliant on their fitness next season in order to challenge.

If we continue to play the front three as much as we have, they will start to experience injuries. Muscle tears and tendon/ligament strains come from not getting enough recovery and rest.

Hopefully we don't accrue a number of further injuries during that three matches in six days sequence.

City have six genuine options to rotate forwards and still field a side of an extremely high level, we need to ensure we have a situation nearer to that than we currently have.

If we do this partly by signing a quality 4th forward and partly by swapping out Lallana for a versatile midfielder come forward (Fekir type) that's fine by me.

For me the squad needs to be at least 20 senior outfield players. The squad is arguably 22 senior outfield players, including Grujic (given that he's valued at £35m apparently and a definite option to bring back) and Clyne. Ings is subject to a compulsory purchase contract, so is already gone.

You'd expect 8 of those to be defenders and 12 to be midfielders/forwards.

Sturridge and Moreno should be certain departures, they are very little use, whilst Origi and Lallana should also really be on their way. You also can't see Clyne staying, as he wouldn't play much ahead of TAA and Gomez (or even Milner). It seems that the club will cash in on Grujic, which is a shame as he looks like a perfect versatile midfielder in the making. Midfield is a little overloaded though, so you can make sense of his departure.

I doubt we'll sell Shaqiri after just one season, and I think Milner should be kept for the final year of his contract due to his experience and versatility.

Then of course there's the centre back issue to consider, given the overreliance on VVD and the injury prone nature of three of them.

If the six aforementioned players leave (Sturridge, Moreno, Origi, Lallana, Clyne, Grujic), that leaves a senior outfield squad of 16 - TAA, Gomez, Matip, Lovren, VVD, Robertson, Hendo, Fab, Gini, Milner, Keita, Shaqiri, Oxlade, Bobby, Mo, Mane.

To me that looks a couple of defenders short, a forward short and a versatile midfielder come forward short.

Perhaps those positions can be filled by a left sided defender who can play left centre back and left back, an attacking midfielder who can play as a forward, a 4th quality forward, and a left sided player who can play full back or left forward.

I'm not sure if Fekir or Sessignon fit the bill for two of those slots, but I'd love to see players like them arrive along with a left sided defender proper (don't know of any myself) and whatever quality 4th forward the club has identified.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I haven't read literally any rumour about them being offered new contracts - even Origi was unreliably rumoured to be getting an offer from the club. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but Klopp and Edwards usually like to tie down players earlier. Judging by their performances with respect to the role they have in this squad, I'd be surprised if these two didn't get them but I also think that Matip is more likely to run down his current contract and play regularly somewhere else. Again, it's just a feeling, we'll see.
Gini has two years left to run and has played 42 times this season, it is inconceivable that he doesn't get offered a new deal but there's no rush.

Matip may choose to run his contract down but he'll get offered a deal for sure, his performances have warranted it and it makes financial sense if nothing else.

Even Moreno was offered an extension...

Kopstar

★★★★★★
If Wilson impresses in pre-season I can see us selling Shaqiri as we'll be able to make a decent return on him and if we're going to give Wilson chances Shaqiri will hardly make a matchday squad. With that money we could effectively go after his equivalent on the other side, Ryan Fraser. He's entering the last year of his contract and would probably be available for roughly what we'd get for Shaqiri (or less) and could be a good option to rotate/rest Mane as appropriate.

Whether we move for someone like Werner will, I think, be dependent on how close the club feels Brewster is to offering a genuine option up front. I'd guess he's still at least a year away so think some time with the U23 for the first half of next season with the opportunity to promote regularly to the first team matchday squads or go out on loan considered next January depending on how he's got on in the first half of next season.

Of course, if we got Brandt then no need for Fraser.

I still would like to see more creativity from central midfield but perhaps Oxlade-Chamberlain's dynamism will provide that spark (fingers crossed).

Then it's a matter of adding cover at full back. Could Larouci provide that from the left, Hoever or Camacho from the right? If we can cover it using the academy then perfect.

As for CB, it depends upon whether we're selling either or both of Lovren and Matip. Would love to sign de Ligt. I'm worried about the amount of games van Dijk has had to play for us this year. If he got injured we'd be significantly weaker so would love to have three top class CBs we could use in rotation (Gomez, VvD and de Ligt).

Gk, don't see any reason to change this set up. We've got a few good prospects coming through so apart from selling Karius I wouldn't do anything else.

So maybe, for me, Werner, Brandt/Fraser, de Ligt is about all I'd do. If the opportunity was there to get someone like Havertz you'd have to take it. We'd certainly have the funds to do that if the chance arose.

GaryBarlow99

We will most likely replace the three senior players we will lose in Sturridge, Moreno and Origi. I would be very surprised if we don't get in a LB, a WF/ST and an AM. Maybe a GK but I could see Mignolet staying.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I can't see much happening at the back during the summer,maybe a young LB to cover Robertson at times and a back up keeper (if Mignolet leaves).

Promote Rhian Brewster and bring in Houssem Aouar (£45mill) Nicolas Pepe (£40mill) Timo Werner (£40mill) would cover our midfield and deepen our attacking options,to rest our front 3 - £125mill

We've sold Ings £20mill and Solanke £19mill,sell Grujic £25mill+,Kent £10mill,Lallana £10mill,Origi £20mill +£104mill

lfc.8

I think it's clear that Origi and Sturridge offer no real genuine rotation up front, at anywhere near the level of the first choice front three.

For all the protestations about forward players not wanting to come to be a bench player, and the front three wanting to start most matches, we simply have to ensure we aren't so heavily reliant on their fitness next season in order to challenge.

If we continue to play the front three as much as we have, they will start to experience injuries. Muscle tears and tendon/ligament strains come from not getting enough recovery and rest.

Hopefully we don't accrue a number of further injuries during that three matches in six days sequence.

City have six genuine options to rotate forwards and still field a side of an extremely high level, we need to ensure we have a situation nearer to that than we currently have.

If we do this partly by signing a quality 4th forward and partly by swapping out Lallana for a versatile midfielder come forward (Fekir type) that's fine by me.

For me the squad needs to be at least 20 senior outfield players. The squad is arguably 22 senior outfield players, including Grujic (given that he's valued at £35m apparently and a definite option to bring back) and Clyne. Ings is subject to a compulsory purchase contract, so is already gone.

You'd expect 8 of those to be defenders and 12 to be midfielders/forwards.

Sturridge and Moreno should be certain departures, they are very little use, whilst Origi and Lallana should also really be on their way. You also can't see Clyne staying, as he wouldn't play much ahead of TAA and Gomez (or even Milner). It seems that the club will cash in on Grujic, which is a shame as he looks like a perfect versatile midfielder in the making. Midfield is a little overloaded though, so you can make sense of his departure.

I doubt we'll sell Shaqiri after just one season, and I think Milner should be kept for the final year of his contract due to his experience and versatility.

Then of course there's the centre back issue to consider, given the overreliance on VVD and the injury prone nature of three of them.

If the six aforementioned players leave (Sturridge, Moreno, Origi, Lallana, Clyne, Grujic), that leaves a senior outfield squad of 16 - TAA, Gomez, Matip, Lovren, VVD, Robertson, Hendo, Fab, Gini, Milner, Keita, Shaqiri, Oxlade, Bobby, Mo, Mane.

To me that looks a couple of defenders short, a forward short and a versatile midfielder come forward short.

Perhaps those positions can be filled by a left sided defender who can play left centre back and left back, an attacking midfielder who can play as a forward, a 4th quality forward, and a left sided player who can play full back or left forward.

I'm not sure if Fekir or Sessignon fit the bill for two of those slots, but I'd love to see players like them arrive along with a left sided defender proper (don't know of any myself) and whatever quality 4th forward the club has identified.
Mane, Salah and Keita are playing in the Africa Cup of Nations this summer so that might take its toll as well.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
What do the German lads on here think of Yussuf Poulsen?

Werner appears to be extremely highly rated for reasons that evade me but Poulsen's record this year is slightly better, and from what I've read he has a strong work rate too. Also seen Werner say Poulsen is good for him becomes he likes to compete for the ball, which he admits he doesn't.

Also looks a bit like Van Dijk too which is no bad thing.

Haller is another player who doesn't get talked about but the Frankfurt fan I was chatting with the other week said he was one of their best players.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Agreed, but I think the secret to this depth is buying flexibility.

Shaqiri and Oxlade-Chamberlain can both play in midfield or drop into the wide forward positions. I think we need another genuine forward, like Hudson-Adoi, and someone like Brandt or Fekir, who can either.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
@ILLOK, I'm not a big fan of Poulsen, for what it's worth. Decent player, deceptively mobile for a striker so tall but I don't think he's the link-up forward Klopp wants, nor a clinical goalscorer, even if his numbers are good this season. I don't think he'd challenge any of Klopp's current forwards for starting spots, even though his height would add a different dimension to this front line.

Limiescouse

Shaqiri and Oxlade-Chamberlain can both play in midfield or drop into the wide forward positions. I think we need another genuine forward, like Hudson-Adoi, and someone like Brandt or Fekir, who can either.
I dont think they can, at least not without changing the entire shape and dynamics. When we play 3 up top, we're essentially playing with 3 strikers. Mane's first today is a great example. Not only was Mane's positioning that of a striker, but it is that tendency to vacate the wing that gives Robbo the space to contribute so much in the final third.

I think there is something to be said for bringing in an old fashioned chalk on the boots old fashioned wide man for the sake of versatility of approach, but I think if we bring someone in to supplement/challenge the front three it has to be someone who plays that role like a striker. For all of Ox's and Shaq's qualities, that isnt really them.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Origi and Sturridge out, invest in Federico Chiesa and maybe another pacy wide man, we'll be a lot stronger for it.

RedForever2014

Mane, Salah and Keita are playing in the Africa Cup of Nations this summer so that might take its toll as well.
And Bobby, Fab and Alisson will be playing Copa America too.

Versatility is very useful, as long as the quality is there too. Shaqiri for me just can't play front three anywhere near good enough due to a lack of pace, yet there are better options in attacking midfield. Decent squad player, but if we were ranking the outfield squad 1-20 he'd ideally be right at the lower end of it (19th or 20th, rather than 15th or 16th as at present).

We need the numbers, 20 senior players (first team proven, here or elsewhere). How that's carved up by department, including overlap, is obviously up to Klopp and Edwards. But we definitely need more genuinely usable players in place of the likes of Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Moreno and Clyne.

I guess that's my point, weed out the current weakest players, add some quality and push a few players further down the pecking order.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
So maybe, for me, Werner, Brandt/Fraser, de Ligt is about all I'd do. If the opportunity was there to get someone like Havertz you'd have to take it. We'd certainly have the funds to do that if the chance arose.
Poor chap Icardi. Even you have removed him from your wish list.
Also I would be very surprised, if we sell Shaq this summer. Bcoz for us to compete on 4 fronts, we definitely strength in depth and Shaq can provide that and he is a decent option from bench too.

RedForever2014

It perhaps doesn't need this level of thought to identify who should be sold and replaced, but for me a starting point in the analysis is to launch a Top of the Klopps (could also be Top of the Kops):

In my mind I split the outfield squad into two four groups, within an overall ranking of players 1-20.

The first group is our best players for whom there are no like for like replacements. As such they always play except in rare circumstances.

1. VVD - easily our most important player. The captain of the back 6 (including the midfield number 6). Can rarely, if ever be rested.
2=. Mane, Salah, Bobby. Our front three unit take the next three spots.
5. Robertson. Our best full back, great offensively and defensively, for whom there is no left footed like for like alternative.

Then we have the five who for me currently make up the rest of our best 11. The difference from those above, is that these players can be rested and those who'll appear in positions 11-15 can come into their slots without the level dropping too much, if at all.

6. Fabinho - our best midfielder.
7. Gini - our next best midfielder.
8. Hendo - some technical limitations but when fit and on form a quality player and captain.
9. Gomez - our best defender after VVD and Andy. His best position is centre back, but he's a better right back than TAA in my view.
10. Matip - we'll see how long it lasts, but for me he's really impressed since January and deserves his slot in our best defence.

The above outfield 10 is the side I'd start a CL final with, with Gomez at right back.

Then we have five players who are top quality and very close to those in the 6 - 10 positions. You'd field any of those in 11-15 against a top side.

11. Milner - the major concern is when father time will take his legs, but for now he's the first off the bench in either midfield or to cover full back and very rotatable, even against good sides.
12. Keita - becoming the player we hoped we had signed, will perhaps take Hendo's place in the best 11 soon.
13. Oxlade - top quality before his injury but still to prove he's the same after it. At the very least will be a top quality squad player.
14. TAA - drives me nuts at times with his sloppiness and slow thinking. Better offensively than defensively, needs to improve the latter.
15. Lovren - for all his brain farts he's a quality centre back.

Then we have players who for me lack something, wouldn't play that often, or would only play in emergencies.

16. Shaqiri - not quick enough to be an effective part of the front three, and not good enough to get picked ahead of any of the midfielders.
17. Origi - tall, works hard, good attitude, can score, but is not a viable regular rotation option for the front three.
18. Lallana - injury prone, has had his day, wouldn't play much when those in positions 6-15 are available.
19. Sturridge - he's done at our level.
20. Moreno - he never was our level in truth.

IMO there should be the following objectives in improving this squad for next season.

1. Ensure there are viable options to rotate and rest those in positions 1-5. If they play as much next season as this, we'll start to see injuries problems materialise.
2. Ensure the central defence has enough reliable depth, so we don't have the injury crisis we had December/February.
3. Have rotatable full back cover.
4. Improve the forward group so we can bring quality game changers off the bench and rotate the front three more.
5. Improve the quality of positions 16-20, by signing players for positions 1-15 and pushing players into positions 16-20 (like Milner).

Obviously we have to hope that nobody in positions 1-14 gets taken from us, but everyone in positions 15-20 could potentially be sold.

Sturridge and Moreno are gone for free (with £200k a week wages saved between them, £10m a year), and I'd definitely sell Lallana given his age, injury issues and that others are better in his department. We should get £20m for him.

I think Grujic could be a top midfielder in years to come, but if the club wants the money now we should get £35m. Clyne should fetch £15m. I'd also cash in on Origi £20m. Plus Ings has also been sold.

I'd consider selling Shaqiri if we need to, although for me he's the perfect 16-20 level player for what we paid. Plus Lovren if we're going for a centre back.

We really need four players, two attacking midfield come forwards and two defenders.

Personally I'd go in for De Ligt, who I believe would not only be rock solid alongside VVD, but also a viable rotation option for VVD in a way none of Gomez, Matip or Lovren are. Gomez would be the alternative for TAA at right back (along with Milner and Fabinho) and third best centre back.

Left back is a conundrum, Andy is so good, but we need a left footed alternative, or an ambidextrous one.

A quality creative 10 come forward, plus a quick wide forward come striker, would add the depth there.

TAA, VVD, De Ligt, Gomez, Matip, Robertson, new full back
Fab, Hendo, Gini, Milner, Keita, Oxlade, new attacking mid
Bobby, Mo, Mane, new forward, Shaqiri, Brewster

Moreno, Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Lovren would go along with Clyne, Ings, Grujic (loan maybe).

Four quality players would be signed and one youngster promoted if they're deemed good enough to play PL as and when required.

Last edited:

Jamie91

It perhaps doesn't need this level of thought to identify who should be sold and replaced, but for me a starting point in the analysis is to launch a Top of the Klopps (could also be Top of the Kops):

In my mind I split the outfield squad into two four groups, within an overall ranking of players 1-20.

The first group is our best players for whom there are no like for like replacements. As such they always play except in rare circumstances.

1. VVD - easily our most important player. The captain of the back 6 (including the midfield number 6). Can rarely, if ever be rested.
5. Robertson. Our best full back, great offensively and defensively, for whom there is no left footed like for like alternative.

Then we have the five who for me currently make up the rest of our best 11. The difference from those above, is that these players can be rested and those who'll appear in positions 11-15 can come into their slots without the level dropping too much, if at all.

8. Hendo - some technical limitations but when fit and on form a quality player and captain.
9. Gomez - our best defender after VVD and Andy. His best position is centre back, but he's a better right back than TAA in my view.
10. Matip - we'll see how long it lasts, but for me he's really impressed since January and deserves his slot in our best defence.

The above outfield 10 is the side I'd start a CL final with, with Gomez at right back.

Then we have five players who are top quality and very close to those in the 6 - 10 positions. You'd field any of those in 11-15 against a top side.

11. Milner - the major concern is when father time will take his legs, but for now he's the first off the bench in either midfield or to cover full back and very rotatable, even against good sides.
12. Keita - becoming the player we hoped we had signed, will perhaps take Hendo's place in the best 11 soon.
13. Oxlade - top quality before his injury but still to prove he's the same after it. At the very least will be a top quality squad player.
14. TAA - drives me nuts at times with his sloppiness and slow thinking. Better offensively than defensively, needs to improve the latter.

Then we have players who for me lack something, wouldn't play that often, or would only play in emergencies.

16. Shaqiri - not quick enough to be an effective part of the front three, and not good enough to get picked ahead of any of the midfielders.
17. Origi - tall, works hard, good attitude, can score, but is not a viable regular rotation option for the front three.
18. Lallana - injury prone, has had his day, wouldn't play much when those in positions 6-15 are available.

IMO there should be the following objectives in improving this squad for next season.

1. Ensure there are viable options to rotate and rest those in positions 1-5. If they play as much next season as this, we'll start to see injuries problems materialise.
2. Ensure the central defence has enough reliable depth, so we don't have the injury crisis we had December/February.
4. Improve the forward group so we can bring quality game changers off the bench and rotate the front three more.
5. Improve the quality of positions 16-20, by signing players for positions 1-15 and pushing players into positions 16-20 (like Milner).

Obviously we have to hope that nobody in positions 1-14 gets taken from us, but everyone in positions 15-20 could potentially be sold.

Sturridge and Moreno are gone for free (with £200k a week wages saved between them, £10m a year), and I'd definitely sell Lallana given his age, injury issues and that others are better in his department. We should get £20m for him.

I think Grujic could be a top midfielder in years to come, but if the club wants the money now we should get £35m. Clyne should fetch £15m. I'd also cash in on Origi £20m. Plus Ings has also been sold.

I'd consider selling Shaqiri if we need to, although for me he's the perfect 16-20 level player for what we paid. Plus Lovren if we're going for a centre back.

We really need four players, two attacking midfield come forwards and two defenders.

Personally I'd go in for De Ligt, who I believe would not only be rock solid alongside VVD, but also a viable rotation option for VVD in a way none of Gomez, Matip or Lovren are. Gomez would be the alternative for TAA at right back (along with Milner and Fabinho) and third best centre back.

Left back is a conundrum, Andy is so good, but we need a left footed alternative, or an ambidextrous one.

A quality creative 10 come forward, plus a quick wide forward come striker, would add the depth there.

Moreno, Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Lovren would go along with Clyne, Ings, Grujic (loan maybe).

Four quality players would be signed and one youngster promoted if they're deemed good enough to play PL as and when required.

De Ligt
Jamal Lewis
Brandt/ Depay
Insigne

Formidable squad

Red over the water

@RedForever2014 good analysis on the squad and needs.

I’m not sure I’d quite be as frustrated with Trent as you’ve expressed, but there is a bit of sloppiness in his defensive play at times.

3-4 good players, and they are well within reach for us at this stage, and a very good squad becomes formidable, and able to fight for 4 competitions.

Not Worthy

Close.

If you listen to Air’s song All I Need, Beth Hirsch’s “aah-oo-aah” is pretty close to how Aouar’s name should be pronounced.

Now that could be turned into a terrace chant...
Always thought she said "all in all...." .

I'm going with ZB's , Wurzels-life, "I drove my tractor through yorrr 'aystack last noight ..... oo-aaaarrr, oo-aaaarrr"

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Most important thing in the summer will be to bring in a fourth quality attacker with goals in him. Preferably a CF or another speedy (left) winger.

Our Front3 were very lucky with injuries and form this season. Very likely that this won’t be the case next season.

Personally I would give up the hope of winning trophies if the only change in our attack would be Brewster for Sturridge next season.

rab

Werner just makes so much sense to me. The drop off when Bobby isn't available is just too great and surely we can't be thinking of going in next year with Origi and Brewster as our main back ups or needing to move Mo or Mane centrally.

The fact he can also play out wide helps offer some cover too. He just seems to be too perfect a fit for us not to be interested.

Right age profile, young, hungry, great record in a top league and surely under valued based on his contract situation.

Whilst Luka Jovic is grabbing all the headlines at the moment, Werner has three very solid years production under his belt in an emerging side.

Him plus Brandt, a decent LB and a backup keeper would nicely replace and be upgrades on Sturridge/Ings/Solanke, Lallana, Moreno and Mignolet, all of whom I suspect will leave.

Conservatively I'd estimate we'd perhaps get £35m for that lot (excluding Solanke who has already gone). Plus the likes of Karius, Wilson, Camacho, Clyne, Grujic and Kent could fetch the same again meaning the net spend wouldn't be that huge given the contract situations with Werner and Brandt.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Most important thing in the summer will be to bring in a fourth quality attacker with goals in him. Preferably a CF or another speedy (left) winger.

Our Front3 were very lucky with injuries and form this season. Very likely that this won’t be the case next season.

Personally I would give up the hope of winning trophies if the only change in our attack would be Brewster for Sturridge next season.
Yes, for sure, the Barca game emphasised the real need for a clinical poacher up top.