• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Yes, for sure, the Barca game emphasised the real need for a clinical poacher up top.
Looking at our two 'main opponents' benches this season

City
Mahrez, Sane and Jesus

Barca
Malcom, Dembele and Boateng

We have Sturridge and Origi. Two players even our manager wouldn't trust to start them in three consecutive games.

It was reported that we are trying to keep Origi (or even to extend his contract) and it almost feels certain that Brewster will take Sturridges place in the squad.

So personally I am very concerned that we won’t strengthen this area in the summer.

igor_piss_can

Think Harry Wilson deserves a place in the squad next season. To be fair the way he's been playing at Derby it seems like we made a mistake loaning him out in the first place

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Think Harry Wilson deserves a place in the squad next season. To be fair the way he's been playing at Derby it seems like we made a mistake loaning him out in the first place
Is it not the opposite,he'd have got no game time here so going to Derby has built up his confidence and experience because he's playing,the loan was successful for him and Derby and has improved his profile as a young talented player,all of that is a positive.

igor_piss_can

Is it not the opposite,he'd have got no game time here so going to Derby has built up his confidence and experience because he's playing,the loan was successful for him and Derby and has improved his profile as a young talented player,all of that is a positive.
Yeah that's a fair point but I think he was already at a decent enough level before the season started, I remember he was banging them in for Hull last year too. I think he'd have offered a bit more in certain games this season than our current alternatives could have as he seems like the type of player who'd work well in our front 3, whereas we always look a bit disjointed if one of the regular attackers is replaced by Divok or Sturridge

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I wonder whether Klopp and Edwards will have a look at one or two of the current Ajax players. Some gems there for sure.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
He also wouldn't have been able to knock United out of the League Cup :)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Also got the biggest clubs circling! De Jong for example is already off to Barca.
Yeah, that's no wonder! No player from there will come cheap, unless there is already something agreed with the player and the club, we'll see.

But Barca have secured themselves another huge talent, that's for sure... (the pricks)

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Yeah, that's no wonder! No player from there will come cheap, unless there is already something agreed with the player and the club, we'll see.

But Barca have secured themselves another huge talent, that's for sure... (the pricks)
From what I read this season Ajax's management knew they really had a special group of players and sat them down last summer (with offers on the table to move) and said look give us 1 more season and we could achieve something unbelievable.. If we go out of the CL I'd love them to win it, it's a young hungry side who is about to be dismantled (not that sad as that is Ajax's entire business plan these days).

De Ligt, Neres, Ziyech, Dolberg, Van Beek are all potential superstars as you said yourself. De Ligt is the pick for me, would love him here.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I wonder whether Klopp and Edwards will have a look at one or two of the current Ajax players. Some gems there for sure.
If they make the finals, we should stay away from their players and give them one more season. Let the rest go gaga and in awe with them. Let other fans put out YouTub videos about the arrival of so and so. The following summer we make our swoop - the others would most likely get the wrong player. Remember Bakayoko? And how we sneak in and get Fabinho?

Limiescouse

After a really slow start, I have become really impressed with Lucas Moura the past 6 weeks or so. He didnt arrive with the greatest reputation for aptitude, but everytime I have seen him in this current run he has looked 100% a Klopp player. I think he was arguably the best player on the pitch when we beat them a few weeks ago.

ABRed

We've conquered all of Europe.
After a really slow start, I have become really impressed with Lucas Moura the past 6 weeks or so. He didnt arrive with the greatest reputation for aptitude, but everytime I have seen him in this current run he has looked 100% a Klopp player. I think he was arguably the best player on the pitch when we beat them a few weeks ago.
Aye your right there was a bloody menace.

Danny Sarge

De Ligt, Neves, Brandt would be definite additions for me. De Ligt as a starter obviously, Neves as competition for Fabinho and Brandt who I would like to see in a more central attacking role opposed to the left, similar to De Bruyne in a midfield 3.

Would also like maybe two more additions including a back up keeper and an attacking player who can play across the front 3.

RedForever2014

Whether or not we win none, one, or both the CL or PL, we've got to look to improve the squad.

Next season we need to have 20 outfield senior players, of whom those at the lower end of the squad are capable of playing more than those currently here can, without results being at risk.

VVD, the front three and Robertson will need more rotation than has been possible this season. In fact, they might be more injury prone next season without it.

We also need more forwards who can play regularly, from the start of matches, at a good enough level. The cameos from Sturridge and Origi this season have been welcome, but they are not enough.

Moreno and Sturridge 100% need to go, it would be extremely concerning to see either given a new contract to save buying someone. Lallana can raise a few quid and is of little use anymore given other players we have, and last night I finally lost patience with Lovren and think we should cash in on him too. There is a debate to be had around Origi, who would fetch a decent fee, but who for me wouldn't be the right level if one of the front three had a long term injury.

The level of any centre back signed can be debated. Personally I'd go for another rock so VVD can be rested, but there's a case for a left footer who can cover left back. A couple of quality versatile attacking midfielders come forwards are a must.

It does seem that some believe that because we can't find someone like Bobby we shouldn't sign anyone at all. In fact, that Bobby has to play all the time because our system demands it.

My view on that is that the system with Bobby, Mo and Mane in it, who as a three are much greater than the sum of the parts, is one part of our strategy to compete.

But I also believe that when, as will happen, you can't field that unit, you rely on quality, even if more individual and less joined up, to win matches.

We'll never find another Bobby, but we can sign a quality forward whose individual quality would enable us to win matches when Bobby isn't used.

In short, by all means have a system, but also have the option to beat teams based on the quality in your side. Our current forward back ups don't offer that other than in cameos. If the front three suffered injuries, that wouldn't be enough.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I thought Liverpool would be able to raise a few quid for Lallana but the more the season progressed, the less I was convinced about it. Always some "minor" injury to keep him away from the match squad for prolonged periods. I think that the best the club can hope for is to find someone who will take him on loan and cover his wages until his contract expires.

That said, Ings, Origi, Clyne, Kent, Ejaria and Awoniyi can probably raise a fair sum of money, while having Sturridge, Lallana and Moreno off the wage bill isn't something to scoff at. I hope Lovren joins the list of departures this summer, too, so all the remnants of that wretched summer of 2014 are finally cleared out and replaced with players who are ultimately a better fit for Klopp's football and who can consistently contribute to Liverpool's cause. Liverpool started last two seasons with stronger squads and we were all fawning over the newly acquired squad strength, only for couple of injuries to force Klopp to call on the likes of Lovren, Sturridge and even Lallana.

I still don't expect any monumental signings this summer, I think Klopp will opt for younger players with bags of potential, someone like Sessegnon or Hudson-Odoi (I'm convinced Liverpool would have been seriously interested in him had it not been for his injury). Players like De Ligt, Hudson-Odoi and Sessegnon would be perfect for Liverpool at this point, in my opinion, but I don't see Liverpool going for the former two for different reasons, unfortunately.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Liverpool started last two seasons with stronger squads and we were all fawning over the newly acquired squad strength, only for couple of injuries to force Klopp to call on the likes of Lovren, Sturridge and even Lallana.

I still don't expect any monumental signings this summer, I think Klopp will opt for younger players with bags of potential, someone like Sessegnon or Hudson-Odoi (I'm convinced Liverpool would have been seriously interested in him had it not been for his injury). Players like De Ligt, Hudson-Odoi and Sessegnon would be perfect for Liverpool at this point, in my opinion, but I don't see Liverpool going for the former two for different reasons, unfortunately.
Re bolded - are you arguing our squad isn't strong?

Quite the argument to make for a team with 94 points and in a CL semi final. Not sure I would agree with that one. Even though we all agree we need a better option for the front 3, our subs have more goals than anybody elses and Origi, Shaqiri and Sturridge have made a significant number of important contributions between them.

Agree with you with regards to the player profile we'll be targeting, this coming window gives us a chance to get rid of some older, lesser performing players with poor fitness records and replace them with younger, hopefully better players. Consolidate our medium-long term position at the top of the tree.

20ATHLONE

My thoughts on what we need 1 or 2 players with an already obvious “wow factor”
My picks; Dybala and De Ligt

Then a few “projects” we develop further
Harry Wilson, Grujic, Camacho and Brewster

Say goodbye to; Lallana, Ings, Milner (sadly) ,Sturridge and Lovren

Danny Sarge

What about Ricardo Pereira of Leicester. Reason being its more than likely that Clyne and Moreno will be gone as well as Milner who has covered at times this season at full back, so indeed we will be quite short if our first two get injured. I think he could be a very useful versatile player who could cover on both sides and ive been fairly impressed when I've seen him this season.

nikz200

I think its easy for us to just say "sell origin" but it feels like the lad has done enough when his number has been called upon to earn a extension with us. Especially since Sturridge is leaving for good reason. Don't know what the future holds for Shaqiri, but i hope he gets a shot again. If Milner leaves we need a veteran mid just to utility for us when he is needed.

Currently the wishlist looks like this

1. Dybala (Marquee, unlikely)
2. De ligt (Marquee unlikely)
3. Timo Werner ( First team, 60% likely to happen)
4. Tonali (rotation, 40% likely to happen)
5. Adrien Rabiot ( first team, 20% likely to happen)

These are just the players i wish, and not all 5 of them, some of these are alternates to the others.

With players like Fekir or Joao felix,situation will depend on whether we have a squad need for them or not.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Watching Leverkusen 6x1 Frankfurt.

Brandt is such a great player. He has Ox's speed and drive forward football, but also finesse, creativity and dribbling. A complete midfielder at this point. Would match us beautifully and I could see him easily able to cover both number 8/10 and winger positions.

I know he will most probably end up in Bayern, but we must try at least.

20ATHLONE

I say we sign every human over the age of 12. This way nobody else can field a team and we are automatically crowned champions of everything.
Just a thought

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Watching Leverkusen 6x1 Frankfurt.

Brandt is such a great player. He has Ox's speed and drive forward football, but also finesse, creativity and dribbling. A complete midfielder at this point. Would match us beautifully and I could see him easily able to cover both number 8/10 and winger positions.

I know he will most probably end up in Bayern, but we must try at least.
Ox has those things too.

Brandt's a good player who would do well here. I'd like to see Milner's minutes go to somebody like him in the midfield instead.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Ox has those things too.

Brandt's a good player who would do well here. I'd like to see Milner's minutes go to somebody like him in the midfield instead.
I think Ox is a better presser and faster carrying the ball, but Brandt looks better in all other aspects at this moment, even if I compare with the best of Ox last season. Especially in terms of playmaking, Brandt looks way ahead of him. And the most important is that he is not injury prone. In fact, he is absolutely reliable in this aspect, basically never injured.

Brandt under Klopp would become an absolute beast, he has all the tools we need.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I think Ox is a better presser and faster carrying the ball, but Brandt looks better in all other aspects at this moment, even if I compare with the best of Ox last season. Especially in terms of playmaking, Brandt looks way ahead of him. And the most important is that he is not injury prone. In fact, he is absolutely reliable in this aspect, basically never injured.

Brandt under Klopp would become an absolute beast, he has all the tools we need.
Much easier to showcase those skills in the Bundesliga, though. The space Frankfurt afforded them today was hilarious, if Chamberlain had been given that much time he'd have hurt them too.

I don't disagree though, Brandt would be an excellent buy.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Klopp really hasn’t used his status in German football that much, in terms of signing top Bundesliga talent. This summer’s a time to change that, by bringing in Brandt and Werner. Combined, they’d tick a lot of boxes in terms of players who can play across the front line and in attacking or box-to-box mid.

Sturridge and Lallana depart.
Brewster gets “promoted” (eg starts getting some playing time).
Ox hopefully comes back as something close to the player he was before.
Keita continues to develop into the player we need as an 8.
Hardest decision to make will be whether to keep or sell Origi.

Then we need cover for LB and at CB think we need one out, and (Lovren), and one in, preferably someone who can spell Virgil at the LCB position from time to time. Sure, Sessegnon and DeLight would be up there, but not sure either will come our way, as expect the former to sign for Spurs, and the latter to either move to Barca or stay 1 more season at Ajax.

Reactions: rab

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Klopp really hasn’t used his status in German football that much, in terms of signing top Bundesliga talent.
That's because a lot of it isn't as good as advertised. Werner a prime example.

It's no coincidence that a lot of good Bundesliga players have struggled here and a lot of our young kids or players who never made an impact e.g. Kramaric are finding it much easier over there.

You only have to look at the results of English vs German sides in European competition this season to see the gulf in quality.