• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

RedForever2014

What also needs to be remembered in our squad planning for next season, is that if we do win the Champions League, we could be competing for seven trophies next season.

1. Premier League - 38 matches.
2. Champions League - minimum 6 matches, up to 13 matches.
3. FA Cup - up to 6 matches.
4. League Cup - up to 6 matches.
5. Community Shield - 1 match in August (if City win the FA Cup or we win the title).
6. UEFA Super Cup - 1 match in August (if we win the Champions League).
7. FIFA World Club Championship - up to 4 matches in December (if we win the Champions League).

That would be a minimum of 50 matches, maximum of 69 matches. This would include a December trip to the World Club Championship, just before the crucial Xmas period.

Several of our top players will also have played tournaments in the summer.

We struggled with fatigue this Jan/Feb, Klopp said so himself, so if we do win the CL, we might need to consider carrying a larger squad next season than the 19 or 20 outfield players we've had the past couple of seasons.

Youngsters like Wilson and Brewster can make up the numbers, but in such a scenario my view is that you'd need them on top of 20 senior outfield players, not as part of the 20 man main senior outfield squad.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I'm thinking not too many additions but just enough to freshen up the squad. Big Virg's Dutch national teammate Matthijs de Ligt would fit the bill for another centre back. Could see another attacking midfielder option, maybe try again for Lyon's Nabil Fekir or Real's Marco Asensio. We could also look to strengthen our forward line, our 3 amigos aren't injury proof, so we could enquire about Lille's Nicolas Pepe or, and why not, PSG's Edinson Cavani. He says he wants to play in the EPL, so why not, he's a proven goalscorer. All the above, of course, would depend on whether we have the appropriate funds to complete the deals.

RedForever2014

Defense:
I will promote Adam Lewis as the substitute for Robertson regarding LB, and remove Moreno; however, Lloyd Kelly could be considered as well. For RB, I am tempted to give Clyne another chance as a substitute for Trent, but at the same time I want to use him as part of a deal to buy Maddison. For now, my decision is to promote Hoever and Camacho, since I lack knowledge of cheap, quality back-up options for RB, and Wan Bissaka will be very pricey. The main purchases will be for CB positions. Mathis De Ligt seems to be the most obvious choice, however we already have Gomez for the same position. If we decide to play Gomez as a full-time CB and stop playing him as RB (from what I have seen, he usually caught injuries when playing as RB not as CB), a cheaper Klavan-style substitute option (Nathan Ake e.g.) is the way to go.

Midfield:
Sell Lallana, of course. I will try to buy James Maddison from Leicester, and will include either Lallana or Lallana + Clyne to reduce the cash payment. James Maddison really impresses me as a creative midfielder. Actually, he leads the League this season in terms of key passes per game (2.8) and total chances created (98), exceeding every single Liverpool midfielder. Also, he is a home-grown player and since at least two of our home-grown players will leave the club this summer, there will be a gap to fill. If Maddison does not flop next season (well, like Henderson in his first season here), Jordan Henderson will almost certainly go to the bench. If the Maddison deal fails, I will buy Julian Brandt, but it may take time for him to adjust to EPL like in the case of Fabinho, and if so Henderson will be still my No.8 starter in the medium term.

Forward:
Bring back Harry Wilson and use him as a substitute for Mane. However, either Ziyech or Neres will be considered, but I will probably go with Ziyech. Brewster and Origi will be used as Firmino's backup. The same will be applied to Shaqiri regarding Salah's position. Sturridge must go.

Starting 11:
Allison
TAA - Gomez - Van Dijk - Robertson
AOC - Fabinho - Maddison/Brandt/Henderson (the midfield formation will similar to the one in our home demolition of City last year CL)
Salah - Firmino - Mane
Good analysis.

What I would say is that we'll ideally get to a position where all departments have debatable first choice players in a 'best 11', like is the case in midfield.

Genuine competition for places to spur the players to even greater heights. Just look at how the midfielders, including Henderson, have progressed this season due to it.

Genuine rotation options. Just look at how the intensity of our midfield has been maintained during the run in, compared to last season, due to it.

Genuine quality options from the bench for all matches. Just look at how our midfield has benefitted from substitutions in matches, such as Southampton away and against Barce.

Enough quality in depth that the normal 2 or 3 injuries you carry in the squad at any one time leave you with similar level players to field and a strong bench.

There's plenty of football for multiple options in each department, but for players to play without the level of the side dropping and results being at risk, we've got to upgrade a few.

Having a player like Moreno has arguably been a complete waste of wages, given that he only plays as a very, very last resort.

Ideal summer for me is the signing of a quality versatile full back, De Ligt, an attacking midfielder come forward and a pacey winger, with Moreno and Sturridge released, Lallana and Lovren sold.

The ruthless side of me would also cash in on Shaqiri and upgrade him to someone more usable, as I don't see him as a pacey enough forward, or quite good enough attacking midfielder.

It really depends if we are going to carry a larger squad to cope with potential extra competitions.

MinniMo

Will Matthijs de Ligt be available this summer, his agent is Mino Raiola and he's on a 3 month worldwide ban during our transfer season?

I don't know the complexities of changing your agent these days, but will that come into play? I know VVD would like him to come to us, and he is a Liverpool fan, which helps.

RedForever2014

I'm thinking not too many additions but just enough to freshen up the squad. Big Virg's Dutch national teammate Matthijs de Ligt would fit the bill for another centre back. Could see another attacking midfielder option, maybe try again for Lyon's Nabil Fekir or Real's Marco Asensio. We could also look to strengthen our forward line, our 3 amigos aren't injury proof, so we could enquire about Lille's Nicolas Pepe or, and why not, PSG's Edinson Cavani. He says he wants to play in the EPL, so why not, he's a proven goalscorer. All the above, of course, would depend on whether we have the appropriate funds to complete the deals.
The money should be there, two years reaching the CL final, players to sell (Lovren, Lallana, Clyne, Grujic), a modest net spend in recent years.

The warning signs were there this season - defensive injury crisis in Jan/Feb and fatigue. Extremely lucky that our front three didn't get injured.

With potential extra competitions and the observations from this season, and LFC one of the go to clubs just now, having struggled to get who we wanted for years, we should be cementing ourselves by signing quality players.

Let's improve on those who should be leaving with players who can be used more. Let's carry a larger squad next season if we've more competitions to manage.

Let's go full on for the competitions like the Community Shield, Super Cup (if in it), World Cup (if in it), the CL and PL, and let the kids prove themselves in the domestic cups.

William Clarke

Will Matthijs de Ligt be available this summer, his agent is Mino Raiola and he's on a 3 month worldwide ban during our transfer season?

I don't know the complexities of changing your agent these days, but will that come into play? I know VVD would like him to come to us, and he is a Liverpool fan, which helps.
I did hear yesterday about his agent being banned by FIFA for a few months, so I think you could be right, which is a real pity. I watched him against the Spuds and he was like a younger version of big Virg. Ah well, we'll just have to hope because I think he would've been good for us.

William Clarke

The money should be there, two years reaching the CL final, players to sell (Lovren, Lallana, Clyne, Grujic), a modest net spend in recent years.

The warning signs were there this season - defensive injury crisis in Jan/Feb and fatigue. Extremely lucky that our front three didn't get injured.

With potential extra competitions and the observations from this season, and LFC one of the go to clubs just now, having struggled to get who we wanted for years, we should be cementing ourselves by signing quality players.

Let's improve on those who should be leaving with players who can be used more. Let's carry a larger squad next season if we've more competitions to manage.

Let's go full on for the competitions like the Community Shield, Super Cup (if in it), World Cup (if in it), the CL and PL, and let the kids prove themselves in the domestic cups.
I AM WITH YOU ALL THE WAY. I think you're right with your players for sale, although I am really disappointed that Grujic didn't make the grade.

RedForever2014

I AM WITH YOU ALL THE WAY. I think you're right with your players for sale, although I am really disappointed that Grujic didn't make the grade.
I like Grujic, I only suggested selling him because the club reportedly wants to.

I think he's an ideal versatile athletic midfielder if he develops further. That's why Athletico Madrid reportedly want him for £35m.

If there's no place for him next season I'd keep him on loan and let his stock rise further, and give ourselves more time to assess if he could come back as part of the next generation when Milner goes and others get to 30.

But I suspect that the club will find £35m too enticing.

Hopefully it'll be reinvested, I'll be disappointed if the club doesn't kick on to even greater heights with a good net investment.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

As I said yesterday in another thread it will make no difference to whether De Ligt can be transferred.

William Clarke

As I said yesterday in another thread it will make no difference to whether De Ligt can be transferred.
Is it possible for de Ligt to transfer without his agent? I'm thinking of contracts between the player and agent and whether that would complicate matters.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Is it possible for de Ligt to transfer without his agent? I'm thinking of contracts between the player and agent and whether that would complicate matters.
read in a thread in barcaforum when i went to see those wankers whine that De Ligt's agent isn't Raiola but rather is some friend of his father who had appointed Raiola to oversee the transfer matters. Not verified ofcourse

William Clarke

read in a thread in barcaforum when i went to see those wankers whine that De Ligt's agent isn't Raiola but rather is some friend of his father who had appointed Raiola to oversee the transfer matters. Not verified ofcourse
So we, as a club, wouldn't know who we were dealing with? Maybe his father has taken up the reins and can negotiate for him. The player would be immense for us being a monster of a centre back in the same mould as Virg.

MinniMo

It's SSN who are stating that Raiola represents Paul Pogba, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Matthijs de Ligt.

So maybe it's not right after all!

William Clarke

It's SSN who are stating that Raiola represents Paul Pogba, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Matthijs de Ligt.

So maybe it's not right after all!
I hope something could be sorted because I would love to see de Ligt partnering Virg. To have those two plus Gomez and Matip would be a good squad of centre backs to have. Strong on the pitch and strong on the bench.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
This is the exact quote from Barca Forum

It was explained earlier by one of our Dutch members that Raiola isn't his agent.
His agent is an old -formerly retired- Dutch agent who is friend of his dad. He hired Raiola to act as mediator for potential transfers.
Don't see how this could affect any transfer
I fail to see how that doesn't translate to Raiola not being his agent. Isn't the agent responsible for being a mediator for potential transfers ?

William Clarke

This is the exact quote from Barca Forum

I fail to see how that doesn't translate to Raiola not being his agent. Isn't the agent responsible for being a mediator for potential transfers ?
No argument from me @SithBaare

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I have to admit that I was surprised by the news of Origi getting a new contract, not because I thought he hadn't earned it but because he had one foot through the exit door. We'll see whether he'll sign it, though, but I guess that's what separates Klopp from majority of other coaches out there. I wonder if that and Wilson's performance at Derby County will perhaps deter Klopp from buying a new winger/forward that I was convinced would be on his to-do list for this summer.

I still think that club need to find able replacements for Moreno and Lovren but I first and foremost hope that the likes of Matip, Wijnaldum and Camacho extend their contracts with Liverpool. I've always found Matip and Wijnaldum inconsistent and frustrating (and I called for their departures at various points in the past three years) but what they've shown this season is precisely what they were brought in to do. A bit more luck with fitness for Matip and a bit more goals and assists for Wijnaldum wouldn't go amiss, of course. Meanwhile, Camacho can be the attack-minded version of Milner one day, a modern and versatile player who's good at everything he does - in my opinion, at least. Not the first, nor the last time I'm perhaps guilty of overrating Liverpool's youth players but this kid impressed me literally every time I saw him play.

William Clarke

I have to admit that I was surprised by the news of Origi getting a new contract, not because I thought he hadn't earned it but because he had one foot through the exit door. We'll see whether he'll sign it, though, but I guess that's what separates Klopp from majority of other coaches out there. I wonder if that and Wilson's performance at Derby County will perhaps deter Klopp from buying a new winger/forward that I was convinced would be on his to-do list for this summer.

I still think that club need to find able replacements for Moreno and Lovren but I first and foremost hope that the likes of Matip, Wijnaldum and Camacho extend their contracts with Liverpool. I've always found Matip and Wijnaldum inconsistent and frustrating (and I called for their departures at various points in the past three years) but what they've shown this season is precisely what they were brought in to do. A bit more luck with fitness for Matip and a bit more goals and assists for Wijnaldum wouldn't go amiss, of course. Meanwhile, Camacho can be the attack-minded version of Milner one day, a modern and versatile player who's good at everything he does - in my opinion, at least. Not the first, nor the last time I'm perhaps guilty of overrating Liverpool's youth players but this kid impressed me literally every time I saw him play.
Wasn't there talk of clubs being interested in buying Camacho? Whether loan transfer or permanent I'm not sure, but his name has been mentioned for a possible move out of our club.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Wasn't there talk of clubs being interested in buying Camacho? Whether loan transfer or permanent I'm not sure, but his name has been mentioned for a possible move out of our club.
Portuguese press are notoriously unreliable, first they were mentioning how there are multiple clubs interested in buying Camacho and that Liverpool's asking price was high, now they keep mentioning how he's locked in contract talks but that he's not close to signing because he wants assurances from the club about going out on loan, all while being offered a decent wage. I'm not sure I believe that but I still hope that he will extend.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Let's hope it happens. I really like the way de Ligt defends plus he's dangerous at set pieces i.e. Spuds semi-final.
But if were to buy de Ligt then what would happen to Gomez? I would prefer to grow our own where possible rather than buy expensive imports. In my view the partnership between VvD and Gomez should be allowed to flourish and bringing in some 19 year old wonderkid would have the opposite effect. We should offload Lovren and replace him with someone who doesn't expect regular first team football with us but would be glad to be part of LFC. I'm thinking James Tarkowski, despite him being a Mancunian.

William Clarke

But if were to buy de Ligt then what would happen to Gomez? I would prefer to grow our own where possible rather than buy expensive imports. In my view the partnership between VvD and Gomez should be allowed to flourish and bringing in some 19 year old wonderkid would have the opposite effect. We should offload Lovren and replace him with someone who doesn't expect regular first team football with us but would be glad to be part of LFC. I'm thinking James Tarkowski, despite him being a Mancunian.
I'm looking for added strength in our back line with Gomez playing as much a part as de Ligt. Lovren we sell and Matip, although playing the best he's played since joining us, I just don't see him as a starting eleven player. As for the Burnley player Tarkowski, I think he's a little bit too rough round the edges for my liking and, if I had to pick a Burnley centre back, would much prefer taking Mee.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I'm looking for added strength in our back line with Gomez playing as much a part as de Ligt. Lovren we sell and Matip, although playing the best he's played since joining us, I just don't see him as a starting eleven player. As for the Burnley player Tarkowski, I think he's a little bit too rough round the edges for my liking and, if I had to pick a Burnley centre back, would much prefer taking Mee.
Well, yeah Matip isn't a starting eleven player but that's kind of my point. The first choice should, IMO, be VvD and Gomez, with Matip as back up and whoever as 4th. Talking of 'whoever', don't forget we have our own Dutch wonderkid (potentially) in Hoever. So do we actually need to spend god knows how many millions on the, probably, delightful de Ligt?

Thomas1195

Well, yeah Matip isn't a starting eleven player but that's kind of my point. The first choice should, IMO, be VvD and Gomez, with Matip as back up and whoever as 4th. Talking of 'whoever', don't forget we have our own Dutch wonderkid (potentially) in Hoever. So do we actually need to spend god knows how many millions on the, probably, delightful de Ligt?
Actually I never believe that this De Ligt hypetrain would have been that huge had Gomez avoided his injury in the Burnley match while playing as RB. I don't know why but Gomez seemed to always get injured while playing as wing-back.

William Clarke

Actually I never believe that this De Ligt hypetrain would have been that huge had Gomez avoided his injury in the Burnley match while playing as RB. I don't know why but Gomez seemed to always get injured while playing as wing-back.
Gomez's injuries are the reason why I believe we need to strengthen at the back. As you say his injury setbacks have come filling in at right back, so it shows we have a deficiency in our defence. I know Gomez's worth and don't see him being necessarily discarded if another player is brought into the club. He is definitely wanted, but we need to increase our squad to compete in all the competitions we enter. I just see de Ligt as being a great foil for Virgil and would like to see him signing for us.

William Clarke

I get your point, we could rely on our Academy players coming through to save us money, but there's no guarantees of them coming good and settling in. I'm not saying it can't happen because we have such a player in the side now, namely our right back TA-A, but these players don't come through that often. I'm all for our club saving big bucks, but our current first team squad has been stretched to the limits on a few occasions this season. Our squad needs strengthening both in players and quality of player.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
If De Light comes, I think he'll play almost every minute of our CB slots without rotation (much like VVD does now). If he's good enough, so be it and Gomez may need to be content with sitting on the bench for a season at least (he should move on if he's not a regular starter).