Who would you buy?

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
As I said yesterday in another thread it will make no difference to whether De Ligt can be transferred.
Is it possible for de Ligt to transfer without his agent? I'm thinking of contracts between the player and agent and whether that would complicate matters.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Is it possible for de Ligt to transfer without his agent? I'm thinking of contracts between the player and agent and whether that would complicate matters.
read in a thread in barcaforum when i went to see those wankers whine that De Ligt's agent isn't Raiola but rather is some friend of his father who had appointed Raiola to oversee the transfer matters. Not verified ofcourse

William Clarke

read in a thread in barcaforum when i went to see those wankers whine that De Ligt's agent isn't Raiola but rather is some friend of his father who had appointed Raiola to oversee the transfer matters. Not verified ofcourse
So we, as a club, wouldn't know who we were dealing with? Maybe his father has taken up the reins and can negotiate for him. The player would be immense for us being a monster of a centre back in the same mould as Virg.

MinniMo

It's SSN who are stating that Raiola represents Paul Pogba, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Matthijs de Ligt.

So maybe it's not right after all!

William Clarke

It's SSN who are stating that Raiola represents Paul Pogba, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Matthijs de Ligt.

So maybe it's not right after all!
I hope something could be sorted because I would love to see de Ligt partnering Virg. To have those two plus Gomez and Matip would be a good squad of centre backs to have. Strong on the pitch and strong on the bench.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
This is the exact quote from Barca Forum

It was explained earlier by one of our Dutch members that Raiola isn't his agent.
His agent is an old -formerly retired- Dutch agent who is friend of his dad. He hired Raiola to act as mediator for potential transfers.
Don't see how this could affect any transfer
I fail to see how that doesn't translate to Raiola not being his agent. Isn't the agent responsible for being a mediator for potential transfers ?

William Clarke

This is the exact quote from Barca Forum

I fail to see how that doesn't translate to Raiola not being his agent. Isn't the agent responsible for being a mediator for potential transfers ?
No argument from me @SithBaare

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I have to admit that I was surprised by the news of Origi getting a new contract, not because I thought he hadn't earned it but because he had one foot through the exit door. We'll see whether he'll sign it, though, but I guess that's what separates Klopp from majority of other coaches out there. I wonder if that and Wilson's performance at Derby County will perhaps deter Klopp from buying a new winger/forward that I was convinced would be on his to-do list for this summer.

I still think that club need to find able replacements for Moreno and Lovren but I first and foremost hope that the likes of Matip, Wijnaldum and Camacho extend their contracts with Liverpool. I've always found Matip and Wijnaldum inconsistent and frustrating (and I called for their departures at various points in the past three years) but what they've shown this season is precisely what they were brought in to do. A bit more luck with fitness for Matip and a bit more goals and assists for Wijnaldum wouldn't go amiss, of course. Meanwhile, Camacho can be the attack-minded version of Milner one day, a modern and versatile player who's good at everything he does - in my opinion, at least. Not the first, nor the last time I'm perhaps guilty of overrating Liverpool's youth players but this kid impressed me literally every time I saw him play.

William Clarke

I have to admit that I was surprised by the news of Origi getting a new contract, not because I thought he hadn't earned it but because he had one foot through the exit door. We'll see whether he'll sign it, though, but I guess that's what separates Klopp from majority of other coaches out there. I wonder if that and Wilson's performance at Derby County will perhaps deter Klopp from buying a new winger/forward that I was convinced would be on his to-do list for this summer.

I still think that club need to find able replacements for Moreno and Lovren but I first and foremost hope that the likes of Matip, Wijnaldum and Camacho extend their contracts with Liverpool. I've always found Matip and Wijnaldum inconsistent and frustrating (and I called for their departures at various points in the past three years) but what they've shown this season is precisely what they were brought in to do. A bit more luck with fitness for Matip and a bit more goals and assists for Wijnaldum wouldn't go amiss, of course. Meanwhile, Camacho can be the attack-minded version of Milner one day, a modern and versatile player who's good at everything he does - in my opinion, at least. Not the first, nor the last time I'm perhaps guilty of overrating Liverpool's youth players but this kid impressed me literally every time I saw him play.
Wasn't there talk of clubs being interested in buying Camacho? Whether loan transfer or permanent I'm not sure, but his name has been mentioned for a possible move out of our club.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Wasn't there talk of clubs being interested in buying Camacho? Whether loan transfer or permanent I'm not sure, but his name has been mentioned for a possible move out of our club.
Portuguese press are notoriously unreliable, first they were mentioning how there are multiple clubs interested in buying Camacho and that Liverpool's asking price was high, now they keep mentioning how he's locked in contract talks but that he's not close to signing because he wants assurances from the club about going out on loan, all while being offered a decent wage. I'm not sure I believe that but I still hope that he will extend.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Let's hope it happens. I really like the way de Ligt defends plus he's dangerous at set pieces i.e. Spuds semi-final.
But if were to buy de Ligt then what would happen to Gomez? I would prefer to grow our own where possible rather than buy expensive imports. In my view the partnership between VvD and Gomez should be allowed to flourish and bringing in some 19 year old wonderkid would have the opposite effect. We should offload Lovren and replace him with someone who doesn't expect regular first team football with us but would be glad to be part of LFC. I'm thinking James Tarkowski, despite him being a Mancunian.

William Clarke

But if were to buy de Ligt then what would happen to Gomez? I would prefer to grow our own where possible rather than buy expensive imports. In my view the partnership between VvD and Gomez should be allowed to flourish and bringing in some 19 year old wonderkid would have the opposite effect. We should offload Lovren and replace him with someone who doesn't expect regular first team football with us but would be glad to be part of LFC. I'm thinking James Tarkowski, despite him being a Mancunian.
I'm looking for added strength in our back line with Gomez playing as much a part as de Ligt. Lovren we sell and Matip, although playing the best he's played since joining us, I just don't see him as a starting eleven player. As for the Burnley player Tarkowski, I think he's a little bit too rough round the edges for my liking and, if I had to pick a Burnley centre back, would much prefer taking Mee.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I'm looking for added strength in our back line with Gomez playing as much a part as de Ligt. Lovren we sell and Matip, although playing the best he's played since joining us, I just don't see him as a starting eleven player. As for the Burnley player Tarkowski, I think he's a little bit too rough round the edges for my liking and, if I had to pick a Burnley centre back, would much prefer taking Mee.
Well, yeah Matip isn't a starting eleven player but that's kind of my point. The first choice should, IMO, be VvD and Gomez, with Matip as back up and whoever as 4th. Talking of 'whoever', don't forget we have our own Dutch wonderkid (potentially) in Hoever. So do we actually need to spend god knows how many millions on the, probably, delightful de Ligt?

Thomas1195

Well, yeah Matip isn't a starting eleven player but that's kind of my point. The first choice should, IMO, be VvD and Gomez, with Matip as back up and whoever as 4th. Talking of 'whoever', don't forget we have our own Dutch wonderkid (potentially) in Hoever. So do we actually need to spend god knows how many millions on the, probably, delightful de Ligt?
Actually I never believe that this De Ligt hypetrain would have been that huge had Gomez avoided his injury in the Burnley match while playing as RB. I don't know why but Gomez seemed to always get injured while playing as wing-back.

William Clarke

Actually I never believe that this De Ligt hypetrain would have been that huge had Gomez avoided his injury in the Burnley match while playing as RB. I don't know why but Gomez seemed to always get injured while playing as wing-back.
Gomez's injuries are the reason why I believe we need to strengthen at the back. As you say his injury setbacks have come filling in at right back, so it shows we have a deficiency in our defence. I know Gomez's worth and don't see him being necessarily discarded if another player is brought into the club. He is definitely wanted, but we need to increase our squad to compete in all the competitions we enter. I just see de Ligt as being a great foil for Virgil and would like to see him signing for us.

William Clarke

I get your point, we could rely on our Academy players coming through to save us money, but there's no guarantees of them coming good and settling in. I'm not saying it can't happen because we have such a player in the side now, namely our right back TA-A, but these players don't come through that often. I'm all for our club saving big bucks, but our current first team squad has been stretched to the limits on a few occasions this season. Our squad needs strengthening both in players and quality of player.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
If De Light comes, I think he'll play almost every minute of our CB slots without rotation (much like VVD does now). If he's good enough, so be it and Gomez may need to be content with sitting on the bench for a season at least (he should move on if he's not a regular starter).

soberphobia

I don't understand the love in for DeLigt. He is a good player no doubt but has shown nothing to think he will be as good as Gomez who we already have. He isn't anywhere near as athletic or shown the splitting forward passing ability.There is a reason we have conceded more goals in the second half of the season than the first half. People forget so quickly and get starry eyed watching a few CL games.
Even if you love the guy CB is hardly a priority for us. A backup RB certainly is as is another quality midfielder or even 2 if Lallana and another depart. We also really need another wide player backup as our options when Mane or Salah are out are a massive drop off in quality. There is only so much money we have to spend so spending it unwisely on a big name is the sort of recruiting Man U do. We have been a bit smarter than that.

Thomas1195

Can we possibly buy Conor Coady from Wolves as a CB bench option? Because it is likely that Lovren will be sold this summer.

A backup RB certainly is as is another quality midfielder or even 2 if Lallana and another depart
Maddison, and either Ziyech or Neres. For Maddison, we can offer Lallana and even Clyne (if the guy refuses to be a RB backup) to reduce cash payment. Maddison is probably the biggest English midfield talent for years, and since Leicester tactics also emphasize pressing and counter-attack, he will probably adapt quickly to our game.

I used to think about Rabiot because he will be a free agent, but backed away after reading about some of his conflicts with his own club. There is not guarantee that such issues will not happen again if we buy him.

Ziyech or Neres, I would probably choose Ziyech since he is mainly a left winger, and we need a left winger as a back up for Mane as we already have Shaqiri on the right wing. However, Harry Wilson will have me think twice before buying Ziyech.

A cheap RB option, do you guys know any? Because Wan Bissaka will cost us at least £30m.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If De Light comes, I think he'll play almost every minute of our CB slots without rotation (much like VVD does now). If he's good enough, so be it and Gomez may need to be content with sitting on the bench for a season at least (he should move on if he's not a regular starter).
We will be guaranteed to play at least 46 games next season and possibly anywhere up to 69. If we played 2 CBs for every minute those two players would likely end up injury riddled at some point in their careers. We are already playing VvD too much and every now and again post match talk has listed his performance as "not quite his dominating best"! We want him to dominate and own games? We need to keep him fresh! Will be even more important with a young player like De Ligt new to the league and team and needing to settle into Klopps tactics. Gomez would still get plenty of game time if we bought the Dutch lad. There'd probably be plenty of game time for Matip still too and a couple of development chances for Hoever. VvD has been played too much but has still only played 48 times this season and will probably end the season on 50. If we were to try and play him for 60+ we might end up breaking one of our top players.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
"Seemed to always"? Either he always gets injured when he plays at RB or he doesn't. I would say he doesn't. If that actually is a problem then we could play some one else at RB when resting Trent. Maybe Camacho, or buy a back-up RB without breaking the bank.
I get your point, we could rely on our Academy players coming through to save us money, but there's no guarantees of them coming good and settling in. I'm not saying it can't happen because we have such a player in the side now, namely our right back TA-A, but these players don't come through that often. I'm all for our club saving big bucks, but our current first team squad has been stretched to the limits on a few occasions this season. Our squad needs strengthening both in players and quality of player.
I'm not saying "rely on our academy players". I mentioned one academy player to point out that we do have four CBs even if we sold Lovren. But of course if we sell then we should buy someone experienced as a replacement.
So you're willing to bin Gomez in favour of some 19 year old who has limited experience, would cost a ridiculous amount, and might not develop into the great player that people seem to assume he'll become. Maybe Hoever will be that great player. So why don't we stand by our players and give them opportunities to develop instead of jumping at the flavour of the month?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
De Ligt won't be coming. Given the performances Gomez and Matip have had this season, and Hoever waiting in the wings it would be an un Klopp signing.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
De Ligt won't be coming. Given the performances Gomez and Matip have had this season, and Hoever waiting in the wings it would be an un Klopp signing.
CB is probably the second last thing to look at during this summer window with GK being the last one.
LB cover, RB cover, 1 or 2 attacking player (winger, number 10, number 8, striker - its confusing right now - to tell exactly what kind of player we will buy).

William Clarke

I don't understand the love in for DeLigt. He is a good player no doubt but has shown nothing to think he will be as good as Gomez who we already have. He isn't anywhere near as athletic or shown the splitting forward passing ability.There is a reason we have conceded more goals in the second half of the season than the first half. People forget so quickly and get starry eyed watching a few CL games.
Even if you love the guy CB is hardly a priority for us. A backup RB certainly is as is another quality midfielder or even 2 if Lallana and another depart. We also really need another wide player backup as our options when Mane or Salah are out are a massive drop off in quality. There is only so much money we have to spend so spending it unwisely on a big name is the sort of recruiting Man U do. We have been a bit smarter than that.
What I think you're saying is we shouldn't spend big money like Manure, so how much do you think we forked out for Virg and Allison? We have to start using rotation in our defence and that means resting Virg from time to time, so who do you believe will cover for him. Lovren, if he's still with us, Matip or Gomez? Of those three I would say only Gomez stacks up for me, so I would definitely want to see another class centre back being brought in, even if it's not de Ligt.

Last edited: