• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
That's a fair point. But I wonder if it would be the same if it was us.

Origi has surprised us all, but there is a big difference in filling in for a few games and an extended run of games if one of the front three were injured for an extended period.

Do you think we'd be competing for the title until the last day of the season, if we'd been playing Origi and Shaqiri in most matches over the past two months?

Good players, who I personally like, but you need better quality as the next in line after the front three.

As to Clyne, I'll give you that one, although even then one never knows what result could have been different, so we'd be going into the last day in control of it, if he'd been around. We suffered against Leicester at home in the PL in January down the right defensive flank, and it unnerved the whole side.

We have done brilliantly, but it's been because our squad has not been tested over an extended run by the sort of injuries other top clubs have had.

All I'm saying is don't navel gaze, keeping improving, others will.
The issue against Leicester wasnt solely down to injuries to right back, but a wider one across the back and midfield and poor weather conditions. Of bigger consequence were the poor refereeing decisions.

Same as in the cup game against Wolves were we had to put together a rag tag of back up and youth players because of injuries who had never played together. We played badly but only really went out to a worldy by Neves.

We have had extended injuries like the other clubs.

Limiescouse

You've got to have 20 senior outfield players, and youngsters have to force their way into that 20 by proving themselves in lesser matches.

Defence is a separate unit, I'm not sure if we'll go with 7 or 8 and how rotatable they'll be, but in midfield/attack we need 12 or 13 rotatable players.
I think you over state that. City is the side many look to as a the gold standard of strength in depth, yet we have used more players for a decent amount of minutes than they have this season. That midfield and attack group that you think needs 12-13 rotatable players, City have just 10 players for that group of 6 positions (Silva, Silva, KdB, Fernando, Gundogan, Jesus, Kun, Sterling, Sane, Mahrez). And of that group, Jesus and Mahrez are a big come down from the rest.

The situation with those two I think speaks to the reality is that it is very difficult to build a squad that allows you to get much out of players 17-25. That isn't an issue of the cost of buying players with sufficient quality. It is far more an issue of how difficult it is to extend import roles out past a smaller core of players and the difficulty of performing reliably on limited time, as is the requirement for players outside of that core. We have enough players in terms of raw numbers. I think what we need is to bring in players who can offer better contributions from that fringe than the likes of Moreno and Sturridge.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Without Firmino + Salah + Keita and lost Robertson through injury after 45mins..

Que?
Note, a part of the path to that game required us to play with 2 senior CBS injured and a third, the lynchpin, suspended. We are also currently on the 3rd highest point total in top flight history, will possibly get to the 2nd highest ever, despite going through a period of the season with 3 CBs out simultaneously and one RB. Our captain has been in and out of the side all season because of various niggling injuries. Our 50 million pound midfield transformer, the guy we waited on for 12 months because he was such a good fit, has had it even ever worse.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
GK - Grabara to step up and be a #3, If Mignolet decides that he wants regular football, All for getting in an experienced keeper as backup.

Defense
Backup to Robertson - while Milner has the ability to depute at a pinch, He's getting on the years himself and he might even go to Leeds if those lot get promoted to see out the rest of his career. I'd be looking at Sessegnon (who can depute both robbo and play as a winger if need be.
Backup to CB - To compete at all competitions the next year, including FA and League Cups, Liverpool need to have more reliability in their CB's going forward. Even keeping Lovren, Matip for one more year. we are still short of one defender especially considering that 3 off our 4 CB's with the exception of VVD seem to have persistent injury problems. Fabinho can probably do a damn fine job in defense but i'd rather have him as a midfield enforcer
Backup to Trent - How far along are the likes of Camacho , Ki-Jana Hoever in terms of development from their youth academy ? we really need backups to our lb/rb? Yes Gomez can do a job there but that brings us back to this past year when we got ourselves into trouble when he limped off injured. Fabinho again does a job here but i'd rather have him in midfield

Midfield
This is one department where we are stocked. Could do with adding some quality though. Get Grujic back from Loan. The likes of Ox, Keita coming back fit from injury and where we have Fabinho, Gini, Milner ,Henderson. Taking it as a given that we're letting Lallana leave , the likes of Grujic, woodburn and wilson should be enough in terms of replacing him.

Forward
Backup and Competition for Salah and Mane. Shaqiri is essentially an impact sub. Need someone who can press them hard. Sessegnon might be filling in for Mane in a pinch but this is something that is needed. Both Salah and Mane have been proven to be wasteful at times and a good backup winger who can play with relative ease on both sides is an absolute requirement. Not sure if that's Brandt but that's what the rumours seem to be saying. I'd even like a Neres type signing here.

Rhiaan Brewster and Origi to provide backup in the central role. while they won't be offering the same style of play as Bobby does, No one probably can do that. But both of them should be lining up to play games across the forward line to prove themselves.

One LB(Sessegnon),One Backup Keeper(Providing Mignolet wants out), One RB, One CB(To cover for Injuries as our present lot seem to get injured often), a backup winger to Mane and Salah. Brewster essentially is a new signing for the forward line.

RedForever2014

Without Firmino + Salah + Keita and lost Robertson through injury after 45mins..

Que?
Extended run - the point is would we cope with using Origi and Shaqiri over an extended run?

If we'd lost Bobby, Mo or Mane for much of the run in, how would we have coped?

No need to bait and ridicule about a simple question.

Nobody is saying they can't contribute. Personally I think Origi could be an ideal squad player as a tall 9 option and wide man.

But we really need at least one similar level quality alternative to the front three.

FGred

We need to beat Newcastle for the signing of Dan James from Swansea who is an LFC supporter anyway but he ran rings around the Shitty players in the FA cup

Kopstar

★★★★★★
We need to beat Newcastle for the signing of Dan James from Swansea who is an LFC supporter anyway but he ran rings around the Shitty players in the FA cup
He's just a speed merchant isn't he or does he have more to his game?

FGred

He's just a speed merchant isn't he or does he have more to his game?
Watching him against shitty he took on their defense one on one with speed as well as good dribbling skills and something that might appeal to Klopp is his willingness to defend when his team did not have the ball.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
That's a fair point. But I wonder if it would be the same if it was us.

Origi has surprised us all, but there is a big difference in filling in for a few games and an extended run of games if one of the front three were injured for an extended period.

Do you think we'd be competing for the title until the last day of the season, if we'd been playing Origi and Shaqiri in most matches over the past two months?

Good players, who I personally like, but you need better quality as the next in line after the front three.

As to Clyne, I'll give you that one, although even then one never knows what result could have been different, so we'd be going into the last day in control of it, if he'd been around. We suffered against Leicester at home in the PL in January down the right defensive flank, and it unnerved the whole side.

We have done brilliantly, but it's been because our squad has not been tested over an extended run by the sort of injuries other top clubs have had.

All I'm saying is don't navel gaze, keeping improving, others will.

Which is exactly what Klopp and the club will and what every single person on this forum wants and expects too.
You have to constantly improve as a team and a club , every single one of us knows that.

FGred

Seen a lot of hype for him but just 4 goals this season - Harry Wilson has 15 this season in the same division (and they are a similar age)
Good point but I am not sure Wilson would come back to sit on the bench as cover for Salah and he has another skill over James is his ability to score from dead ball situations but we already have Shaquiri and TAA for that? Don’t get me wrong I would love Wilson back as a first team player.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Watching him against shitty he took on their defense one on one with speed as well as good dribbling skills and something that might appeal to Klopp is his willingness to defend when his team did not have the ball.
Signing for Utd apparantly (well accordingly to sky sports).

Thomas1195

Defense:
I will promote Adam Lewis as the substitute for Robertson regarding LB, and remove Moreno; however, Lloyd Kelly could be considered as well. For RB, I am tempted to give Clyne another chance as a substitute for Trent, but at the same time I want to use him as part of a deal to buy Maddison. For now, my decision is to promote Hoever and Camacho, since I lack knowledge of cheap, quality back-up options for RB, and Wan Bissaka will be very pricey. The main purchases will be for CB positions. Mathis De Ligt seems to be the most obvious choice, however we already have Gomez for the same position. If we decide to play Gomez as a full-time CB and stop playing him as RB (from what I have seen, he usually caught injuries when playing as RB not as CB), a cheaper Klavan-style substitute option (Nathan Ake e.g.) is the way to go.

Midfield:
Sell Lallana, of course. I will try to buy James Maddison from Leicester, and will include either Lallana or Lallana + Clyne to reduce the cash payment. James Maddison really impresses me as a creative midfielder. Actually, he leads the League this season in terms of key passes per game (2.8) and total chances created (98), exceeding every single Liverpool midfielder. Also, he is a home-grown player and since at least two of our home-grown players will leave the club this summer, there will be a gap to fill. If Maddison does not flop next season (well, like Henderson in his first season here), Jordan Henderson will almost certainly go to the bench. If the Maddison deal fails, I will buy Julian Brandt, but it may take time for him to adjust to EPL like in the case of Fabinho, and if so Henderson will be still my No.8 starter in the medium term.

Forward:
Bring back Harry Wilson and use him as a substitute for Mane. However, either Ziyech or Neres will be considered, but I will probably go with Ziyech. Brewster and Origi will be used as Firmino's backup. The same will be applied to Shaqiri regarding Salah's position. Sturridge must go.

Starting 11:
Allison
TAA - Gomez - Van Dijk - Robertson
AOC - Fabinho - Maddison/Brandt/Henderson (the midfield formation will similar to the one in our home demolition of City last year CL)
Salah - Firmino - Mane

RedForever2014

What also needs to be remembered in our squad planning for next season, is that if we do win the Champions League, we could be competing for seven trophies next season.

1. Premier League - 38 matches.
2. Champions League - minimum 6 matches, up to 13 matches.
3. FA Cup - up to 6 matches.
4. League Cup - up to 6 matches.
5. Community Shield - 1 match in August (if City win the FA Cup or we win the title).
6. UEFA Super Cup - 1 match in August (if we win the Champions League).
7. FIFA World Club Championship - up to 4 matches in December (if we win the Champions League).

That would be a minimum of 50 matches, maximum of 69 matches. This would include a December trip to the World Club Championship, just before the crucial Xmas period.

Several of our top players will also have played tournaments in the summer.

We struggled with fatigue this Jan/Feb, Klopp said so himself, so if we do win the CL, we might need to consider carrying a larger squad next season than the 19 or 20 outfield players we've had the past couple of seasons.

Youngsters like Wilson and Brewster can make up the numbers, but in such a scenario my view is that you'd need them on top of 20 senior outfield players, not as part of the 20 man main senior outfield squad.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I'm thinking not too many additions but just enough to freshen up the squad. Big Virg's Dutch national teammate Matthijs de Ligt would fit the bill for another centre back. Could see another attacking midfielder option, maybe try again for Lyon's Nabil Fekir or Real's Marco Asensio. We could also look to strengthen our forward line, our 3 amigos aren't injury proof, so we could enquire about Lille's Nicolas Pepe or, and why not, PSG's Edinson Cavani. He says he wants to play in the EPL, so why not, he's a proven goalscorer. All the above, of course, would depend on whether we have the appropriate funds to complete the deals.

RedForever2014

Defense:
I will promote Adam Lewis as the substitute for Robertson regarding LB, and remove Moreno; however, Lloyd Kelly could be considered as well. For RB, I am tempted to give Clyne another chance as a substitute for Trent, but at the same time I want to use him as part of a deal to buy Maddison. For now, my decision is to promote Hoever and Camacho, since I lack knowledge of cheap, quality back-up options for RB, and Wan Bissaka will be very pricey. The main purchases will be for CB positions. Mathis De Ligt seems to be the most obvious choice, however we already have Gomez for the same position. If we decide to play Gomez as a full-time CB and stop playing him as RB (from what I have seen, he usually caught injuries when playing as RB not as CB), a cheaper Klavan-style substitute option (Nathan Ake e.g.) is the way to go.

Midfield:
Sell Lallana, of course. I will try to buy James Maddison from Leicester, and will include either Lallana or Lallana + Clyne to reduce the cash payment. James Maddison really impresses me as a creative midfielder. Actually, he leads the League this season in terms of key passes per game (2.8) and total chances created (98), exceeding every single Liverpool midfielder. Also, he is a home-grown player and since at least two of our home-grown players will leave the club this summer, there will be a gap to fill. If Maddison does not flop next season (well, like Henderson in his first season here), Jordan Henderson will almost certainly go to the bench. If the Maddison deal fails, I will buy Julian Brandt, but it may take time for him to adjust to EPL like in the case of Fabinho, and if so Henderson will be still my No.8 starter in the medium term.

Forward:
Bring back Harry Wilson and use him as a substitute for Mane. However, either Ziyech or Neres will be considered, but I will probably go with Ziyech. Brewster and Origi will be used as Firmino's backup. The same will be applied to Shaqiri regarding Salah's position. Sturridge must go.

Starting 11:
Allison
TAA - Gomez - Van Dijk - Robertson
AOC - Fabinho - Maddison/Brandt/Henderson (the midfield formation will similar to the one in our home demolition of City last year CL)
Salah - Firmino - Mane
Good analysis.

What I would say is that we'll ideally get to a position where all departments have debatable first choice players in a 'best 11', like is the case in midfield.

Genuine competition for places to spur the players to even greater heights. Just look at how the midfielders, including Henderson, have progressed this season due to it.

Genuine rotation options. Just look at how the intensity of our midfield has been maintained during the run in, compared to last season, due to it.

Genuine quality options from the bench for all matches. Just look at how our midfield has benefitted from substitutions in matches, such as Southampton away and against Barce.

Enough quality in depth that the normal 2 or 3 injuries you carry in the squad at any one time leave you with similar level players to field and a strong bench.

There's plenty of football for multiple options in each department, but for players to play without the level of the side dropping and results being at risk, we've got to upgrade a few.

Having a player like Moreno has arguably been a complete waste of wages, given that he only plays as a very, very last resort.

Ideal summer for me is the signing of a quality versatile full back, De Ligt, an attacking midfielder come forward and a pacey winger, with Moreno and Sturridge released, Lallana and Lovren sold.

The ruthless side of me would also cash in on Shaqiri and upgrade him to someone more usable, as I don't see him as a pacey enough forward, or quite good enough attacking midfielder.

It really depends if we are going to carry a larger squad to cope with potential extra competitions.

MinniMo

Will Matthijs de Ligt be available this summer, his agent is Mino Raiola and he's on a 3 month worldwide ban during our transfer season?

I don't know the complexities of changing your agent these days, but will that come into play? I know VVD would like him to come to us, and he is a Liverpool fan, which helps.

RedForever2014

I'm thinking not too many additions but just enough to freshen up the squad. Big Virg's Dutch national teammate Matthijs de Ligt would fit the bill for another centre back. Could see another attacking midfielder option, maybe try again for Lyon's Nabil Fekir or Real's Marco Asensio. We could also look to strengthen our forward line, our 3 amigos aren't injury proof, so we could enquire about Lille's Nicolas Pepe or, and why not, PSG's Edinson Cavani. He says he wants to play in the EPL, so why not, he's a proven goalscorer. All the above, of course, would depend on whether we have the appropriate funds to complete the deals.
The money should be there, two years reaching the CL final, players to sell (Lovren, Lallana, Clyne, Grujic), a modest net spend in recent years.

The warning signs were there this season - defensive injury crisis in Jan/Feb and fatigue. Extremely lucky that our front three didn't get injured.

With potential extra competitions and the observations from this season, and LFC one of the go to clubs just now, having struggled to get who we wanted for years, we should be cementing ourselves by signing quality players.

Let's improve on those who should be leaving with players who can be used more. Let's carry a larger squad next season if we've more competitions to manage.

Let's go full on for the competitions like the Community Shield, Super Cup (if in it), World Cup (if in it), the CL and PL, and let the kids prove themselves in the domestic cups.

William Clarke

Will Matthijs de Ligt be available this summer, his agent is Mino Raiola and he's on a 3 month worldwide ban during our transfer season?

I don't know the complexities of changing your agent these days, but will that come into play? I know VVD would like him to come to us, and he is a Liverpool fan, which helps.
I did hear yesterday about his agent being banned by FIFA for a few months, so I think you could be right, which is a real pity. I watched him against the Spuds and he was like a younger version of big Virg. Ah well, we'll just have to hope because I think he would've been good for us.

William Clarke

The money should be there, two years reaching the CL final, players to sell (Lovren, Lallana, Clyne, Grujic), a modest net spend in recent years.

The warning signs were there this season - defensive injury crisis in Jan/Feb and fatigue. Extremely lucky that our front three didn't get injured.

With potential extra competitions and the observations from this season, and LFC one of the go to clubs just now, having struggled to get who we wanted for years, we should be cementing ourselves by signing quality players.

Let's improve on those who should be leaving with players who can be used more. Let's carry a larger squad next season if we've more competitions to manage.

Let's go full on for the competitions like the Community Shield, Super Cup (if in it), World Cup (if in it), the CL and PL, and let the kids prove themselves in the domestic cups.
I AM WITH YOU ALL THE WAY. I think you're right with your players for sale, although I am really disappointed that Grujic didn't make the grade.

RedForever2014

I AM WITH YOU ALL THE WAY. I think you're right with your players for sale, although I am really disappointed that Grujic didn't make the grade.
I like Grujic, I only suggested selling him because the club reportedly wants to.

I think he's an ideal versatile athletic midfielder if he develops further. That's why Athletico Madrid reportedly want him for £35m.

If there's no place for him next season I'd keep him on loan and let his stock rise further, and give ourselves more time to assess if he could come back as part of the next generation when Milner goes and others get to 30.

But I suspect that the club will find £35m too enticing.

Hopefully it'll be reinvested, I'll be disappointed if the club doesn't kick on to even greater heights with a good net investment.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

As I said yesterday in another thread it will make no difference to whether De Ligt can be transferred.

William Clarke

As I said yesterday in another thread it will make no difference to whether De Ligt can be transferred.
Is it possible for de Ligt to transfer without his agent? I'm thinking of contracts between the player and agent and whether that would complicate matters.

SithBaare

Is it possible for de Ligt to transfer without his agent? I'm thinking of contracts between the player and agent and whether that would complicate matters.
read in a thread in barcaforum when i went to see those wankers whine that De Ligt's agent isn't Raiola but rather is some friend of his father who had appointed Raiola to oversee the transfer matters. Not verified ofcourse

William Clarke

read in a thread in barcaforum when i went to see those wankers whine that De Ligt's agent isn't Raiola but rather is some friend of his father who had appointed Raiola to oversee the transfer matters. Not verified ofcourse
So we, as a club, wouldn't know who we were dealing with? Maybe his father has taken up the reins and can negotiate for him. The player would be immense for us being a monster of a centre back in the same mould as Virg.

MinniMo

It's SSN who are stating that Raiola represents Paul Pogba, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Matthijs de Ligt.

So maybe it's not right after all!

William Clarke

It's SSN who are stating that Raiola represents Paul Pogba, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Matthijs de Ligt.

So maybe it's not right after all!
I hope something could be sorted because I would love to see de Ligt partnering Virg. To have those two plus Gomez and Matip would be a good squad of centre backs to have. Strong on the pitch and strong on the bench.

SithBaare

This is the exact quote from Barca Forum

It was explained earlier by one of our Dutch members that Raiola isn't his agent.
His agent is an old -formerly retired- Dutch agent who is friend of his dad. He hired Raiola to act as mediator for potential transfers.
Don't see how this could affect any transfer
I fail to see how that doesn't translate to Raiola not being his agent. Isn't the agent responsible for being a mediator for potential transfers ?

William Clarke

This is the exact quote from Barca Forum

I fail to see how that doesn't translate to Raiola not being his agent. Isn't the agent responsible for being a mediator for potential transfers ?
No argument from me @SithBaare