Who would you buy?

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
All 4 of our centre backs are proven quality, part of the best defence in the league, a quartet that's gotten to back to back cl finals. Do you honestly believe we couldn't rest virg next season at home to Norwich, Sheffield United, Brighton, Southampton etc? Of course we could, our defence is better because of more then just vvd, the keeper and fab being huge reasons. The confidence defensively is in the whole team now. I'd nearly guarantee you we won't see any change at cb this summer.
I'll speak plain, no improvement in the squad, and that includes the defence, then we can all kiss goodbye to winning any silverware next season. Even under Shankly and Paisley the squad was always added to, although admittedly it didn't always improve the side. We need another defender who could cover full or centre back roles, an attacking midfielder, and another forward of proven goal scoring ability. Three additional players is what I see in freshening up our squad.

William Clarke

I don't know why but I can't get the Echo website to stay on my iPad Mini. It continually crashes on me, but I managed to read some of it. It said we have to move fast in the coming summer transfer market and that there wouldn't be a significant increase in personnel coming through the Melwood door. All I am hoping for is good cover for Virgil and Gomez coming in because I am concerned if Virgil has a long term injury, it would completely scupper our season.

Thomas1195

Who i think would be an ideal signing here would be Sancho or Hudson Odoi. English nationality who would be hungry and also believe in their capabilities that they could eventually break their way into the first eleven which would be important
Hudson Odoi is currently injured, and Chelsea will not sell him because of their transfer ban, which suddenly gives him a role there.

Sancho is the one I'd love to buy but you will have to pay no less than £40 million to get him.

Brewster is Sancho and Foden's teammate during their U17 World Cup campaign which they won. If he is as talented as those two, he will catch up very quickly and if that is the case, there is no need for another CF. But until then, we may need to sign another striker.

I think high up in the list is a number 10 who is good enough to come into the first eleven to give Klopp a different option to the way we can play
I'd like to sign Maddison for our CAM position, and such a move also allows us to bin Lallana by putting him into the deal. If you want an English player who can start in our squad, then Maddison is the obvious target. He is good enough to drive Henderson and Gini to the bench as a No.8 player.

All I am hoping for is good cover for Virgil and Gomez coming in because I am concerned if Virgil has a long term injury, it would completely scupper our season
Maybe Conor Coady of Wolves, if you want a Klavan approach.

RedForever2014

But if were to buy de Ligt then what would happen to Gomez? I would prefer to grow our own where possible rather than buy expensive imports. In my view the partnership between VvD and Gomez should be allowed to flourish and bringing in some 19 year old wonderkid would have the opposite effect. We should offload Lovren and replace him with someone who doesn't expect regular first team football with us but would be glad to be part of LFC. I'm thinking James Tarkowski, despite him being a Mancunian.
You could have asked the same question of midfield last summer, when we added Fabinho and Keita to Gini, Hendo and Milner (and lost Can).

What happened?

All five of them saw plenty of football, all of them improved as players due to competition for places (except Milner who is already at peak), we didn't have the midfield injury crisis we had at the tail end of last season, and we had fresh rotatable players during the intense run in of midweek CL matches and must win PL weekend ones.

Gomez, Lovren and Matip have been injury prone during their time here. VVD is playing too much and may well become injury prone himself if it continues. We had a defensive injury crisis in Jan/Feb. It is very reasonable to consider how we can improve that situation.

For me the best way to improve our defensive squad to one of a similar situation to the midfield squad, would be to sell Lovren and sign a top quality centre back who isn't injury prone, who can deputise for VVD as well as play alongside. Gomez can play centre back sometimes and right back sometimes. We then sign a left back deputy for Robertson.

It is fair enough to consider replacing departing players with unproven youngsters, and carrying a light squad, as long as you are prepared to accept that you are risking your competitiveness, will probably end up over-using your best players, and that your season might well unravel if you get a few injuries to the wrong guys.

It seems to me that the goal posts are being slowly but surely moved.

It was said that we only need a 19 or 20 man senior outfield squad, instead of a 22 or 23 man one, because it's better to have a tighter group of versatile players of the right quality.

IMO we haven't reached that point anyway, and the replacing of the likes of Moreno, Sturridge, Lallana and maybe Lovren (possibly Shaqiri and Origi) this summer with better quality players was the next step in that.

But now it seems we're talking about there being several unproven youngsters in that 19 or 20.

This season two or three injuries at any one time, about the average you'd expect in a group of 20 players (10%), has meant the likes of Moreno appearing on the bench when almost any other alternative would be considered before he'd get on the pitch.

For me that has to improve, we have to have 20 proven, usable and senior outfield players as a minimum.

If the likes of Camacho, Brewster, Morgan, Wilson et al perform when called on, in the cups, or prove they're ready on loan, by all means promote them through to replace an outgoing senior player in the senior 20 man group.

But for me not adding to our quality senior depth this summer, as we should be doing, and actually taking out experienced pros and using unproven youth in that 20, would be taking risks with our on-going competitiveness in a season when we could end up playing seven competitions and 60+ matches.

Keegans Perm

I don't know why but I can't get the Echo website to stay on my iPad Mini. It continually crashes on me, but I managed to read some of it. It said we have to move fast in the coming summer transfer market and that there wouldn't be a significant increase in personnel coming through the Melwood door. All I am hoping for is good cover for Virgil and Gomez coming in because I am concerned if Virgil has a long term injury, it would completely scupper our season.
Exactly why we need a De Ligt. Along with cover for LB and a number 10. Cant see us doing much more business than that.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I said it last season and was mocked...

But I’d love to see us buy Grealish, Sessegnon and Werner.

William Clarke

You could have asked the same question of midfield last summer, when we added Fabinho and Keita to Gini, Hendo and Milner (and lost Can).

What happened?

All five of them saw plenty of football, all of them improved as players due to competition for places (except Milner who is already at peak), we didn't have the midfield injury crisis we had at the tail end of last season, and we had fresh rotatable players during the intense run in of midweek CL matches and must win PL weekend ones.

Gomez, Lovren and Matip have been injury prone during their time here. VVD is playing too much and may well become injury prone himself if it continues. We had a defensive injury crisis in Jan/Feb. It is very reasonable to consider how we can improve that situation.

For me the best way to improve our defensive squad to one of a similar situation to the midfield squad, would be to sell Lovren and sign a top quality centre back who isn't injury prone, who can deputise for VVD as well as play alongside. Gomez can play centre back sometimes and right back sometimes. We then sign a left back deputy for Robertson.

It is fair enough to consider replacing departing players with unproven youngsters, and carrying a light squad, as long as you are prepared to accept that you are risking your competitiveness, will probably end up over-using your best players, and that your season might well unravel if you get a few injuries to the wrong guys.

It was said that we only need a 19 or 20 man senior outfield squad, instead of a 22 or 23 man one, because it's better to have a tighter group of versatile players of the right quality.

IMO we haven't reached that point anyway, and the replacing of the likes of Moreno, Sturridge, Lallana and maybe Lovren (possibly Shaqiri and Origi) this summer with better quality players was the next step in that.

But now it seems we're talking about there being several unproven youngsters in that 19 or 20.

This season two or three injuries at any one time, about the average you'd expect in a group of 20 players (10%), has meant the likes of Moreno appearing on the bench when almost any other alternative would be considered before he'd get on the pitch.

For me that has to improve, we have to have 20 proven, usable and senior outfield players as a minimum.

If the likes of Camacho, Brewster, Morgan, Wilson et al perform when called on, in the cups, or prove they're ready on loan, by all means promote them through to replace an outgoing senior player in the senior 20 man group.

But for me not adding to our quality senior depth this summer, as we should be doing, and actually taking out experienced pros and using unproven youth in that 20, would be taking risks with our on-going competitiveness in a season when we could end up playing seven competitions and 60+ matches.
Couldn't have put your reasoning better myself @RedForever2014 The squad season after season always has to be improved, and I'm not talking of wholesale changes, but just two or three additions to our squad.

RedForever2014

Couldn't have put your reasoning better myself @RedForever2014 The squad season after season always has to be improved, and I'm not talking of wholesale changes, but just two or three additions to our squad.
Indeed. And we're now in the position whereby two or three quality additions a summer is all that's needed.

But we need them, we won't get the same points tally again if we don't and end up with over used players getting injured for long periods.

carragold

TIA Youth Team
Hudson Odoi is currently injured, and Chelsea will not sell him because of their transfer ban, which suddenly gives him a role there.

Sancho is the one I'd love to buy but you will have to pay no less than £40 million to get him.

Brewster is Sancho and Foden's teammate during their U17 World Cup campaign which they won. If he is as talented as those two, he will catch up very quickly and if that is the case, there is no need for another CF. But until then, we may need to sign another striker.

I'd like to sign Maddison for our CAM position, and such a move also allows us to bin Lallana by putting him into the deal. If you want an English player who can start in our squad, then Maddison is the obvious target. He is good enough to drive Henderson and Gini to the bench as a No.8 player.

Maybe Conor Coady of Wolves, if you want a Klavan approach.
Sturridge is definitely going to be gone and I think Lallana also. That is two homegrown players that are going to be gone from the squad which i think would need to be replaced with homgrown. Henderson and Milner are two homegrown players getting on in age, TAA and Brewster is still young so we are okay there.

Think we are going to have to search for good up and coming homegrown players. Sancho, Hudson odoi or Maddison would be ideal and seems like a FSG type of transfer.

Don't know if we are comfortable with the number of our homegrown players if Lallana and Sturridge leave. Maybe somone can help me with this? Do know you could fill the homgrown with youngsters but you also need a good standard of player in your homegrown players squad

Last edited:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies

What happened?

I'm not saying "don't buy a CB", I'm just questioning the wisdom of buying de Ligt, probably for about the same that paid for VvD, when we already have Gomez and with Hoever making his way through the ranks. The money that de Ligt would cost could be spent elsewhere in the team. A back-up CB, a back-up LB and maybe RB, a winger and maybe a forward although the latter might not needed if we're keeping Origi and giving Brewster game time. Also if Lallana leaves, then his place in the squad / treatment room will need to be filled.

LS12Red

The thing I love about us at the minute is that there are absolutely no noises about who we will or won't sign being leaked at the club. We are water tight. You see nothing of any note on various sports sites unlike most clubs who are linked with every Tom, Sick or Harry. I fully expect another Fabhino type announcement after the CL Final. Long may it continue

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'll speak plain, no improvement in the squad, and that includes the defence, then we can all kiss goodbye to winning any silverware next season. Even under Shankly and Paisley the squad was always added to, although admittedly it didn't always improve the side. We need another defender who could cover full or centre back roles, an attacking midfielder, and another forward of proven goal scoring ability. Three additional players is what I see in freshening up our squad.
Why does no change in CB personnel equate to no changes in the squad at all? The post you have replied to quite specifically covers only CB and doesn't in any way suggest that there shouldn't be changes elsewhere.

I don't think anyone on this forum has suggested we shouldn't be trying to strengthen the squad.

Worse teams than ours win silverware. Even without strengthening the squad we have now can still win stuff (and be considered one of the favourites to do so).

As unpopular as he Is, Lovren is one of the better CBs around, and it would be difficult to replace As a back up. As much as I liked Klavan, I think some people are forgetting his own limitations and forget his own injury problems and gaffes.

Thomas1195

Sturridge is definitely going to be gone and I think Lallana also. That is two homegrown players that are going to be gone from the squad which i think would need to be replaced with homgrown. Henderson and Milner are two homegrown players getting on in age, TAA and Brewster is still young so we are okay there.

Think we are going to have to search for good up and coming homegrown players. Sancho, Hudson odoi or Maddison would be ideal and seems like a FSG type of transfer.

Don't know if we are comfortable with the number of our homegrown players if Lallana and Sturridge leave. Maybe somone can help me with this? Do know you could fill the homgrown with youngsters but you also need a good standard of player in your homegrown players squad
If Lallana, Sturridge and Clyne all leave, we will be short of non-club trained/association trained home-grown players. The Champions League quota requires a minimum of 4 club-trained players and 4 association-trained players.

If we look for a home-grown replacement for Lallana, Maddison is perfect.

Sancho is reported to stay in Dortmund for another year, while Chelsea will not sell Hudson-Odoi, not when Hazard is leaving and the club is facing a 2-year transfer ban. And Dortmund is reported to demand between £50m and £100m for Sancho.

You can even call back Harry Wilson and use him as back-up winger for Mane.

The thing I love about us at the minute is that there are absolutely no noises about who we will or won't sign being leaked at the club. We are water tight. You see nothing of any note on various sports sites unlike most clubs who are linked with every Tom, Sick or Harry. I fully expect another Fabhino type announcement after the CL Final. Long may it continue
I would prefer buying guys like Conor Coady or James Tarkowski for CB positions. The latter can be very cheap. However, Conor Coady will be a £20-30m player as he is the captain and regular starter of a team that have won an Europa League slot for the next season. Coady could be even used as an emergency CDM if Fabinho and Henderson somehow both get injured.

Limiescouse

Those 3 really are the stand outs from that group. Even more than Hudson Odoi. In the world cup last year Foden went in as the player with the highest profile and ended up with the golden ball award, but by the end Brewster had put himself on a par and won the top scorer award.

William Clarke

Why does no change in CB personnel equate to no changes in the squad at all? The post you have replied to quite specifically covers only CB and doesn't in any way suggest that there shouldn't be changes elsewhere.

I don't think anyone on this forum has suggested we shouldn't be trying to strengthen the squad.

Worse teams than ours win silverware. Even without strengthening the squad we have now can still win stuff (and be considered one of the favourites to do so).

As unpopular as he Is, Lovren is one of the better CBs around, and it would be difficult to replace As a back up. As much as I liked Klavan, I think some people are forgetting his own limitations and forget his own injury problems and gaffes.
Cast your mind back to pre-VVD days and how our defence was a shambles, or at least not far off it. As I have said in a previous post if VVD ever suffered a long term injury would we be able to cope, and that's why I say we have to strengthen. Not only at centre back, but also a player for midfield and an extra player for the attack. We all were panicking, or at least I was, when Mo was injured, and then Bobby, so was thankful they were not sidelined at the same time for any length of time. We need to strengthen our squad - that's a no-brainer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Cast your mind back to pre-VVD days and how our defence was a shambles, or at least not far off it. As I have said in a previous post if VVD ever suffered a long term injury would we be able to cope, and that's why I say we have to strengthen. Not only at centre back, but also a player for midfield and an extra player for the attack. We all were panicking, or at least I was, when Mo was injured, and then Bobby, so was thankful they were not sidelines at the same time for any length of time. We need to strengthen our squad - that's a no-brainer.
Again - where has anyone said we shouldnt be strengthening our squad. If it is such a no brainer to you, why do you keep feeling you have to say it? Name one poster here who doesnt agree on that point?

I do recall the defence - which didnt have Alisson or Fabinho either side. But it still managed to keep lots of clean sheets. Not only have we added those two, but Robertson has also tightened up our left flank. Trent on the right may not be as defensively sound as Clyne yet but is improving and his play going forward and his pace getting back more than compensates for that (and Clyne himself was guilty of the odd mistake).

William Clarke

Again - where has anyone said we shouldnt be strengthening our squad. If it is such a no brainer to you, why do you keep feeling you have to say it? Name one poster here who doesnt agree on that point?

I do recall the defence - which didnt have Alisson or Fabinho either side. But it still managed to keep lots of clean sheets. Not only have we added those two, but Robertson has also tightened up our left flank. Trent on the right may not be as defensively sound as Clyne yet but is improving and his play going forward and his pace getting back more than compensates for that (and Clyne himself was guilty of the odd mistake).
Mistakes, and more than a lot of mistakes that people will admit to, and it kept us struggling to get into European placings in the Prem. If we still had that defence we would be up that creek without a paddle. Jürgen realised the problems when he took over and since that time we have seen a revolution in playing strength at the back. We're good at present, but if we stand still and rub our hands saying that's a job well done and our defence should be good for years, that's when we'll start treading water. Our best title and cup winning sides of the past were always strengthened while we were at the top. We can't stand still. All we need is a few more players to bulk out the squad for the coming season. I mentioned de Ligt because he's Virgil's national team mate, but It doesn't necessarily have to be him. Any decent centre back would do.

Limiescouse

Exactly. Disagreeing on what specifically needs to be done is not the same as saying as that we dont need to strengthen.

I think the midfield is set (at minimum, Fab, Hendo, Gini, Milner, Keita, Ox, but likely Shaq and possibly Lallana as well). Probably the CBs as well unless Lovren or Matip asks to leave, which I dont see. That leaves adding numbers at FB and for the front line, maybe a LW, and possibly a replacement for Migs if he wants to go. It isnt very much, but it's clearly important work. And if we get it right could kick us on even further. Remember, when we signed Mo most fans couldnt understand paying that much for a player who would be a reserve behind what was then our first choice front 3.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Mistakes, and more than a lot of mistakes that people will admit to, and it kept us struggling to get into European placings in the Prem. If we still had that defence we would be up that creek without a paddle. Jürgen realised the problems when he took over and since that time we have seen a revolution in playing strength at the back.
You've been posting on these forums for at least a couple of years - you know as well as i do that the bolded bit isnt true. The majority of our fans have routinely criticised the team over mistakes made.

We're good at present, but if we stand still and rub our hands saying that's a job well done and our defence should be good for years, that's when we'll start treading water. Our best title and cup winning sides of the past were always strengthened while we were at the top. We can't stand still. All we need is a few more players to bulk out the squad for the coming season. I mentioned de Ligt because he's Virgil's national team mate, but It doesn't necessarily have to be him. Any decent centre back would do.
Who said anything about leaving the defence as it is for years? Anyone saying that we shouldnt be actively making changes to our CBs are talking about this summer only because other areas are of greater priority.

William Clarke

You've been posting on these forums for at least a couple of years - you know as well as i do that the bolded bit isnt true. The majority of our fans have routinely criticised the team over mistakes made.

Who said anything about leaving the defence as it is for years? Anyone saying that we shouldnt be actively making changes to our CBs are talking about this summer only because other areas are of greater priority.
What I'm advocating is we get a few more players into the squad, nothing more.

Thomas1195

What I'm advocating is we get a few more players into the squad, nothing more.
I am for buying cheaper backups like James Tarkowski or Conor Coady, who can start in smaller league matches. But buying De Ligt for £60m is questionable. Use that £60m to buy a backup CB, a backup LB (Lloyd Kelly who can play both LB and CB) and a backup RB (perhaps Reece James from Chelsea). This summer big purchases should be for CAM, CF or winger positions.

Flobs

FADA
I will repeat, I think if we are looking for a Klavan style back up central defender we could do a lot worst than Cardiff City's Manga.
I mean why mention the likes of Connor Coady not only a starter for a strong opposition side but also there fucking captain. That would take some fight to pry him away. Where as Cardiff can not have much fight left in them as it stands. :)

RedForever2014

Personally I think there's a huge danger in proposing we spend money on 'back ups'.

We already have backup level people in Clyne, Lovren, Origi, Lallana and Shaqiri.

What we need is more genuine rotation options without results being at risk, particularly up front.

For me the decisive difference between us and City is depth in the forwards. It's that which turns draws into wins. We had little creatively and decisiveness in those draws at United and Everton, plus the West Ham one.

Seems odd to say when we scored 80+ goals in the PL, but a number of very convincing wins bolstered that tally yet in several matches we couldn't score at all, or get more than one.

Genuine rotation at full back, upgrading a centre back and quality options in the final third.

We can't go into next season with a 'senior' squad of 20, of which 2 or 3 are unproven kids, especially with injury prone centre backs.

If we were really ambitious to go to another level, we'd let Moreno, Sturridge, Origi, Lallana and Lovren go and replace them with 3 or 4 top quality players.

William Clarke

I will repeat, I think if we are looking for a Klavan style back up central defender we could do a lot worst than Cardiff City's Manga.
I mean why mention the likes of Connor Coady not only a starter for a strong opposition side but also there fucking captain. That would take some fight to pry him away. Where as Cardiff can not have much fight left in them as it stands. :)
Conor is an ex-Liverpool player and life-long supporter, so you never know. Good shout by you mentioning Cardiff's Manga, he would be a good squad player.

RedForever2014

I am for buying cheaper backups like James Tarkowski or Conor Coady, who can start in smaller league matches. But buying De Ligt for £60m is questionable. Use that £60m to buy a backup CB, a backup LB (Lloyd Kelly who can play both LB and CB) and a backup RB (perhaps Reece James from Chelsea). This summer big purchases should be for CAM, CF or winger positions.
There are no small league matches for LFC, we drop off at all and results are at risk. Look at Lovren against Newcastle, unsettled the whole defence.

Flobs

FADA
Conor is an ex-Liverpool player and life-long supporter, so you never know. Good shout by you mentioning Cardiff's Manga, he would be a good squad player.
I know about Conor been keeping an eye on his career as I thought he was a good Championship mid EPL quality prospect. He's not doing to badly. ;-)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I am more interested in who we should not sell.... This bunch of boys have done fucking well, and clicking to the level we've not seen before. So let's hope we add those that don't disrupt this momentum have, and win this damn thing next year!