• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfc.8

Improving the first eleven has to start with the midfield. Outside that another top quality forward. Then look at another centre back and fullback. The club needs to go out and sign a few key players. Players to kick this team on, further improve and make it more competitive.

Hopefully the money will be there to spend. The club has earned another €26m this Champions League in prize money, with possibly another €4m if we win. Plus prize money of roughly €3.5m or €4.5m for the UEFA Super Cup if we win the Champions League.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I think Ming, Moreno, Lallana, Sturridge, Woodburn, Camacho all go.
Maybe Lovren and Origi as well.

Whoever we bring in they need to be as good as our starting 11 so that the quality doesn’t drop when they are rotated.

MW2833

I am more interested in who we should not sell.... This bunch of boys have done fucking well, and clicking to the level we've not seen before. So let's hope we add those that don't disrupt this momentum have, and win this damn thing next year!
I don't think anyone will want to leave. We are arguably the second best team in the world at the moment (maybe even first best, considering recent form). Going to a club like Barcelona and Real Madrid will now be a major step-down.

The only people I can see leaving are players who are not happy with the amount of game time they get e.g. Mignolet.

Red Submarine

We've won the fucking lot.
Cast your mind back to pre-VVD days and how our defence was a shambles, or at least not far off it. As I have said in a previous post if VVD ever suffered a long term injury would we be able to cope, and that's why I say we have to strengthen. Not only at centre back, but also a player for midfield and an extra player for the attack. We all were panicking, or at least I was, when Mo was injured, and then Bobby, so was thankful they were not sidelined at the same time for any length of time. We need to strengthen our squad - that's a no-brainer.
I'm with you 100% mate. When Gomez got clattered we had to raid the midfield to cover with Matip and Lovren struggling. We shouldn't have to do that at this level. Maybe not the absolute #1 priority but definitely an Achilles heel that needs to be addressed, and Lovren isn't good enough even when fully fit IMO. The Gomez injury was a massive issue and messed with our momentum. We got through it, but only by spreading ourselves thinly for a while.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I'm with you 100% mate. When Gomez got clattered we had to raid the midfield to cover with Matip and Lovren struggling. We shouldn't have to do that at this level. Maybe not the absolute #1 priority but definitely an Achilles heel that needs to be addressed, and Lovren isn't good enough even when fully fit IMO. The Gomez injury was a massive issue and messed with our momentum. We got through it, but only by spreading ourselves thinly for a while.
There are some who say we are covered in the centre back role because Fabinho can play there, but always thought he had been bought as a midfielder. This in itself proves that we have a weakness in our squad strength that we have to rectify. We don't need wholesale changes just a few imports to bulk out our squad, and those imports don't have to be that costly. Someone in an earlier post suggested a player similar to Klaven could be bought, someone who's willing to sit on the bench and come on when needed, and I think that's an avenue that could be exploited.

Roonio

The players that definitely need to go are: Moreno, Sturridge and Mignolet.
One player that we should definitely look to buy is James Maddison of Leicester City, exceptional young English player who has had a great first season in the Premiership. Not alone would he be a great link up player to the front 3, but he gets plenty of goals as well. The legendary Stevie Nicol has also identified James as a player we need to buy and I totally agree 100%.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
97 points and a CL final and a big inquest is needed. A load of mediocre players who aren't better than what we have here are listed.

Let's replace Moreno, Lallana and Sturridge with 3 players who can contribute properly. That'll do nicely. Maybe Lovren if that's an option.

Nothing else needs to be done, this squad is fucking ace.

Red Submarine

We've won the fucking lot.
There are some who say we are covered in the centre back role because Fabinho can play there, but always thought he had been bought as a midfielder. This in itself proves that we have a weakness in our squad strength that we have to rectify. We don't need wholesale changes just a few imports to bulk out our squad, and those imports don't have to be that costly. Someone in an earlier post suggested a player similar to Klaven could be bought, someone who's willing to sit on the bench and come on when needed, and I think that's an avenue that could be exploited.
Exactly! Fabinho shouldn't be playing at the back and neither should Milner. They're both massively important midfielders! It's a clear weakness and should be addressed. There really isn't any grey area here. We need to be bulletproof in every area if we're going to win it next season and, make no mistake, we very nearly won it this year! Spend some money wisely and we'll win it next season. There aren't any obvious areas where our only real rivals can improve. They're pretty much flat out with their squad and we are not, but we're not far off at all. Take the gamble and spend two year's budget this window in my opinion. We are the better side, the bigger club, the more deserving, and never have we been more investible in our history IMO.

Thomas1195

There are no small league matches for LFC, we drop off at all and results are at risk. Look at Lovren against Newcastle, unsettled the whole defence.
I mean the names I mentioned are capable of starting in non-Big 6 matches and in domestic cups.

Let's replace Moreno, Lallana and Sturridge with 3 players who can contribute properly. That'll do nicely. Maybe Lovren if that's an option.
Lallana -> Maddison
Moreno -> Lloyd Kelly
Sturridge -> Timo Werner/Neres/Ziyech (you can also use Brewster, the boy is as talented as Sancho).
Clyne -> Reece James

The midfield seems underwhelmed and lacks a creative midfielder. Unlike our defense and attack which are packed with world-class players, our only world-class or potentially world-class midfielders is Fabinho and Chamberlain (who would have become such a player had he not been forced out by injury for the whole season).

I will repeat, I think if we are looking for a Klavan style back up central defender we could do a lot worst than Cardiff City's Manga.
I mean why mention the likes of Connor Coady not only a starter for a strong opposition side but also there fucking captain. That would take some fight to pry him away. Where as Cardiff can not have much fight left in them as it stands. :)
He will cost nowhere near De Ligt's price tag.
If not Coady, then Tarkowski. Currently only Leicester is going after Tarkowski and we can beat them.

Last edited:

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
97 points and a CL final and a big inquest is needed. A load of mediocre players who aren't better than what we have here are listed.

Exactly. Another full back with similar ability to Robbo/TAA. Another hardworking 9. Another wide forward and we will win the lot. Ox will be like a new signing - He replaces Lallana. The key here is to ensure that subs don't change our style too much as we have a winning formula (for the most part). Only 6 points dropped out of 84 against non-top 6 sides and a couple duds in games where we needed fresh legs.

I don't follow world football as avidly as some others so can't name names - Which 3-4 players would fit this system?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

No backup for TAA? Or Milner becomes the backup RB?

Thomas1195

Exactly. Another full back with similar ability to Robbo/TAA. Another hardworking 9. Another wide forward and we will win the lot. Ox will be like a new signing - He replaces Lallana. The key here is to ensure that subs don't change our style too much as we have a winning formula (for the most part). Only 6 points dropped out of 84 against non-top 6 sides and a couple duds in games where we needed fresh legs.

I don't follow world football as avidly as some others so can't name names - Which 3-4 players would fit this system?
Even with Ox, we still lack a Coutinho-style creativity midfielder. I personally pick James Maddison, while others may choose Julian Brandt.

For LB, personally I would promote Adam Lewis. Lewis has a similar offensive playing style to Robbo, also started as a midfielder like Trent. If we need to buy someone, then Lloyd Kelly.

For RB backup I would recommend Reece James (born in 1999), currently on loan to Wigan from Chelsea and is playing as a starter there. James, while mainly a RB, can also play as CB if required.

SBYM

What the fuck do you want?
Ad-free Member
TBH, I dunno who'd I'd buy, but I'm so excited thinking about this summer transfer period I can barely sit still.

Even if we make just two purchases we have every reason to believe they will be exactly what is needed and have a massive impact on an already sublime team.

And I reckon just two quality players will take this group to a level almost no other team will be able to handle. Imagine if we get three or four...

Bring it the fuck on...just the small matter of a CL Final first...:J

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Exactly! Fabinho shouldn't be playing at the back and neither should Milner. They're both massively important midfielders! It's a clear weakness and should be addressed. There really isn't any grey area here. We need to be bulletproof in every area if we're going to win it next season and, make no mistake, we very nearly won it this year! Spend some money wisely and we'll win it next season. There aren't any obvious areas where our only real rivals can improve. They're pretty much flat out with their squad and we are not, but we're not far off at all. Take the gamble and spend two year's budget this window in my opinion. We are the better side, the bigger club, the more deserving, and never have we been more investible in our history IMO.
Klopp said Fabinho was bought with the express purpose of providing additional cover in defence, not just to play in midfield.

Signing someone to cover right back reduces the risk to Gomez of injury as he can then focus on CB.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'm wondering if Hoever will join the squad as cover, along with that other left back that isn't Lewis. Milner will no doubt be also providing experienced cover.

I don't think we need like for like replacements for those named by Illok as there is a whole load of permutations as to how incoming players can fit into this squad - it was more a point i think he was making that we increase the squad strength significantly by replacing the three least able to contribute (2 of whom are already virtually out the door), while minimising disruption.

Thomas1195

if Hoever will join the squad as cover, along with that other left back that isn't Lewis. Milner will no doubt be also providing experienced cover
Signing someone to cover right back reduces the risk to Gomez of injury as he can then focus on CB.
Reece James for RB and Lloyd Kelly for LB. Also, while they are mainly wing-backs, they can also play as CBs when needed.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
What's all the fuss with Lloyd Kelly? Except for a speculative "Liverpool show interest in" I don't know where it all comes from. I mean don't get me wrong I don't know the player I'm just trying to understand why he's so rated? Many seem to have him pegged as their first choice back up to Robertson, possibly the best Left back around right now and joint second highest assists in the Premier League for a defender whilst still solid defensively. They also sometimes have him as high as 4th or 5th choice CB. He's started 27 out of 50 games for Bristol City this year scoring once with no assists. He seems to have a grand total of 3 starts at CB in the Championship. Wasn't even their young player of the year so why all the hype? Keep in mind some who want to bring this kid in as a second choice don't want to give Wilson a chance even as 7th or 8th choice for our front 4 positions.

Flobs

FADA
If not Coady, then Tarkowski. Currently only Leicester is going after Tarkowski and we can beat them.
I only mention Manga because a Klavan style CB was mentioned, for example if Lovren leaves, so anyone younger isn't really what is being suggested. I mentionned Coady as he is mentionned before however would cost and wouldn't improve on what we already have.
I only really watch LFC matches and the only defender that impressed me, that I remember during our 2 encounters was Manga. Very solid in both ties (though judging passing and technical ability of a player in such a restrictive styked side is difficult (our scouts would look at that).
To be honest i think what we have is good enough outside injuries and would prefer that if we buy another CB it is an upgrade to what we have now (VVD excepted).
Just depth wise Manga to me looks good and I think he would be happy with such a move I don't think Coady or Tarkowski would be so happy.

Thomas1195

What's all the fuss with Lloyd Kelly? Except for a speculative "Liverpool show interest in" I don't know where it all comes from. I mean don't get me wrong I don't know the player I'm just trying to understand why he's so rated? Many seem to have him pegged as their first choice back up to Robertson, possibly the best Left back around right now and joint second highest assists in the Premier League for a defender whilst still solid defensively. They also sometimes have him as high as 4th or 5th choice CB. He's started 27 out of 50 games for Bristol City this year scoring once with no assists. He seems to have a grand total of 3 starts at CB in the Championship. Wasn't even their young player of the year so why all the hype? Keep in mind some who want to bring this kid in as a second choice don't want to give Wilson a chance even as 7th or 8th choice for our front 4 positions.
Probably his purpose is to sit on the bench for Robbo and play domestic cup matches, and buying Sessegnon/Chilwell would be way too pricey for that purpose while that Kelly guy is expected to be dirt cheap. Of course if his price tag is not sufficiently dirt cheap then just skip him right away. My preference is actually promoting Adam Lewis from youth team but then this option seems to be not so popular because he has zero first-team experience (well, but so did Trent two years ago).

On the other hand, Reece James of Chelsea (on loan to Wigan), is a genuinely good signing as a RB back-up for Trent. He appeared in over 40 matches and actually started in most of them this season.

Wilson is a MF/AMF, so not relevant to CBs/LBs. He could be a back-up for Mane/Salah as he has good shooting/finishing skills, and played most of his matches in Derby as forward right/left. However, Maddison (similar age to Wilson) is way better than Wilson (and pretty much any other Liverpool midfielders except for a healthy Lallana) as a creative CAM (an Oezil/Coutinho-style midfielder that Liverpool sorely lacks).

Thomas1195

I only mention Manga because a Klavan style CB was mentioned, for example if Lovren leaves, so anyone younger isn't really what is being suggested. I mentionned Coady as he is mentionned before however would cost and wouldn't improve on what we already have.
I only really watch LFC matches and the only defender that impressed me, that I remember during our 2 encounters was Manga. Very solid in both ties (though judging passing and technical ability of a player in such a restrictive styked side is difficult (our scouts would look at that).
To be honest i think what we have is good enough outside injuries and would prefer that if we buy another CB it is an upgrade to what we have now (VVD excepted).
Just depth wise Manga to me looks good and I think he would be happy with such a move I don't think Coady or Tarkowski would be so happy.
You have a point. Probably Klavan-style options are more likely to be older/post-peak players. Kinda remind me of Kolo Toure, and of course James Milner.

GaryC

Agreed. But instead of like for like, I would replace Moreno and Lallana with 2 speedy FBs to back up Robbo and TAA and Sturridge with an established forward to rotate with our front 3. IMO, our midfield next season would be awesome already with Ox, Naby, Fabinho, Gini, Hendo and Millie.

Thomas1195

IMO, our midfield next season would be awesome already with Ox, Naby, Fabinho, Gini, Hendo and Millie.
How about a creative midfielder? Don't tell me the answer is Jordan Henderson. Oxlade-Chamberlain is good but very injury-prone, even when he still played for Arsenal.

Last edited:

KMD1951

It’s difficult to know exactly what we’ll need this summer until we know who leaves. For example Mingolet may well go and so a keeper would be needed. However if he stays then he’s the perfect back up given the praise that Milner heaped on him recently for his attitude and importance off the pitch.

However, I think we need another top class CB to allow us to rest VVD. He has been immense this season and if we could guarantee he’d be available every game next season then I’d be happy with Matip, Gomez and Lovren. However, if we could get someone like De Ligt in then pay what is needed.

A more creative midfield option is needed and I think someone like Maddison would be a good buy but perhaps the Fekir deal could be resurrected.

We also need a wide player in my opinion and if it’s true Brandt has a €25m release clause then go and get him. Not sure why any player wouldn’t jump at the chance to join Liverpool at this moment in time.

I’d be happy to go with our front three and Origi and Brewster as back up but if funds are available and Klopp has someone in mind who might be able to play the Firmino role then get them in.

Can’t wait for 10th August although small matter of Madrid first.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I mean the names I mentioned are capable of starting in non-Big 6 matches and in domestic cups.

Lallana -> Maddison
Moreno -> Lloyd Kelly
Sturridge -> Timo Werner/Neres/Ziyech (you can also use Brewster, the boy is as talented as Sancho).
Clyne -> Reece James

The midfield seems underwhelmed and lacks a creative midfielder. Unlike our defense and attack which are packed with world-class players, our only world-class or potentially world-class midfielders is Fabinho and Chamberlain (who would have become such a player had he not been forced out by injury for the whole season).

He will cost nowhere near De Ligt's price tag.
This is exactly what I'm talking about, James Maddison does not get in our midfield. I'll take Keita, Wijnaldum and Henderson any day of the week.

jackh1092

No certainty Ox arrives back as good as before. Lallana out the door. We could do with a playmaker, but the issue arrives with who? Who can play the way our midfield does and also be the dogs balls with the ball at their feet. It's a very specific player to find.

I would like to see another CB come in and really push the current ones who struggle with fitness. De ligt has been mentioned, but he might go to Barca. I don't even know if he's the answer, has looked decent but he's young and in a poor league week in week out.

A left back is key.

A right back might be handy but we have Ki-Jana coming through and he could deputise there at some stage.

A forward with about 85% of Mane/Salah/Firmino ability is key too.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
Conor is an ex-Liverpool player and life-long supporter, so you never know. Good shout by you mentioning Cardiff's Manga, he would be a good squad player.
I really hope that Conor stays in Wolves even if we try to entice him. He should stay on the club that gives him the right opportunity to forge a career in the premier league and one that he captains! He should continue there!

RedForever2014

Questions to be addressed;

1. Injury prone nature of our centre backs.
2. How to rest VVD more. Lallana and Clyne are examples of what happens to players who are overused.
3. How to rest the full backs.
4. The right side of our defence being the weak point, the one that's targeted, despite TAA and Matip being in good form.
5. Midfield creativity against bus parkers.
6. Scoring more goals from free kicks and open play outside the box. Not the same since Coutinho's departure.
7. Genuine rotation options in the forwards.
8. How to carve up a 20 man outfield squad by department.
9. How far to allow unproven young players into that 20 man squad, when the 20 man squad size was supposed to be a tighter group of senior players, not a 15 man squad and kids.
10. What squad do we need if we've 7 competitions next season.

For me we do one more summer of upgrading, get kids out on loan, then bring them back to replace future outgoing squad players.

Moreno, Sturridge, Lallana out. Clyne/Ings sold, Grujic loaned one more season.
Sell a centre back only if upgrading to a De Ligt level player.
Decide whether to keep Wilson and Brewster as outfield players 21 and 22 if we've 7 competitions.
Sign two quality forwards, one an attacking midfielder and a versatile full back good enough to play.

Thomas1195

A left back is key.

A right back might be handy but we have Ki-Jana coming through and he could deputise there at some stage
I think Adam Lewis is ready for a LB backup position, especially with Milner still remaining with the team until summer 2020.
On the right wing, Reece James is probably a good signing. The problem is that Chelsea is facing a transfer ban.

A forward with about 85% of Mane/Salah/Firmino ability is key too.
Maybe Nicholas Pepe, since Werner is likely to choose Bayern. However, if Brewster is actually as talented as Jadon Sancho, he should definitely be given a chance, because in such case he will catch up very fast.
Harry Wilson can also be used as a forward right/left. He has a good performance with Derby and should be given a chance.

5. Midfield creativity against bus parkers.
6. Scoring more goals from free kicks and open play outside the box. Not the same since Coutinho's departure
James Maddison fits all of these criteria, being good both at free kicks (he topped the league in free-kick scores this season) and creative passing/through, as well as long shot. He created 100 chances this season after all. Being good at all forms of free kicks is probably the biggest reason I have been going hell bent on Maddison.

How far to allow unproven young players into that 20 man squad
Rhian Brewster, Adam Lewis, Ki-Jana Hoever. Just 3 by now. Harry Wilson, OTOH, just has a good season with Derby. But, as I said, if Brewster is as talented as Sancho, he will catch up quickly.

Injury prone nature of our centre backs.
Fekir failed this very first criteria, otherwise he would have been our player for a year.

Sign two quality forwards
Nicholas Pepe, Ziyech, Neres

a versatile full back good enough to play.
Manga as someone said above for a strictly Klavan option, or Tarkowski for a younger option.
Sell Lovren if we buy De Ligt.

Thomas1195

I'll take Keita, Wijnaldum and Henderson any day of the week.
Both Keita and Henderson haven't proved that they can provide creative passes and throughs to open up opponents' defence on a consistent basis. Wijnaldum haven't done so for two seasons.

None of these three players are good at free kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.