Who would you buy?

jackh1092

No certainty Ox arrives back as good as before. Lallana out the door. We could do with a playmaker, but the issue arrives with who? Who can play the way our midfield does and also be the dogs balls with the ball at their feet. It's a very specific player to find.

I would like to see another CB come in and really push the current ones who struggle with fitness. De ligt has been mentioned, but he might go to Barca. I don't even know if he's the answer, has looked decent but he's young and in a poor league week in week out.

A left back is key.

A right back might be handy but we have Ki-Jana coming through and he could deputise there at some stage.

A forward with about 85% of Mane/Salah/Firmino ability is key too.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
Conor is an ex-Liverpool player and life-long supporter, so you never know. Good shout by you mentioning Cardiff's Manga, he would be a good squad player.
I really hope that Conor stays in Wolves even if we try to entice him. He should stay on the club that gives him the right opportunity to forge a career in the premier league and one that he captains! He should continue there!

RedForever2014

Questions to be addressed;

1. Injury prone nature of our centre backs.
2. How to rest VVD more. Lallana and Clyne are examples of what happens to players who are overused.
3. How to rest the full backs.
4. The right side of our defence being the weak point, the one that's targeted, despite TAA and Matip being in good form.
5. Midfield creativity against bus parkers.
6. Scoring more goals from free kicks and open play outside the box. Not the same since Coutinho's departure.
7. Genuine rotation options in the forwards.
8. How to carve up a 20 man outfield squad by department.
9. How far to allow unproven young players into that 20 man squad, when the 20 man squad size was supposed to be a tighter group of senior players, not a 15 man squad and kids.
10. What squad do we need if we've 7 competitions next season.

For me we do one more summer of upgrading, get kids out on loan, then bring them back to replace future outgoing squad players.

Moreno, Sturridge, Lallana out. Clyne/Ings sold, Grujic loaned one more season.
Sell a centre back only if upgrading to a De Ligt level player.
Decide whether to keep Wilson and Brewster as outfield players 21 and 22 if we've 7 competitions.
Sign two quality forwards, one an attacking midfielder and a versatile full back good enough to play.

Thomas1195

A left back is key.

A right back might be handy but we have Ki-Jana coming through and he could deputise there at some stage
I think Adam Lewis is ready for a LB backup position, especially with Milner still remaining with the team until summer 2020.
On the right wing, Reece James is probably a good signing. The problem is that Chelsea is facing a transfer ban.

A forward with about 85% of Mane/Salah/Firmino ability is key too.
Maybe Nicholas Pepe, since Werner is likely to choose Bayern. However, if Brewster is actually as talented as Jadon Sancho, he should definitely be given a chance, because in such case he will catch up very fast.
Harry Wilson can also be used as a forward right/left. He has a good performance with Derby and should be given a chance.

5. Midfield creativity against bus parkers.
6. Scoring more goals from free kicks and open play outside the box. Not the same since Coutinho's departure
James Maddison fits all of these criteria, being good both at free kicks (he topped the league in free-kick scores this season) and creative passing/through, as well as long shot. He created 100 chances this season after all. Being good at all forms of free kicks is probably the biggest reason I have been going hell bent on Maddison.

How far to allow unproven young players into that 20 man squad
Rhian Brewster, Adam Lewis, Ki-Jana Hoever. Just 3 by now. Harry Wilson, OTOH, just has a good season with Derby. But, as I said, if Brewster is as talented as Sancho, he will catch up quickly.

Injury prone nature of our centre backs.
Fekir failed this very first criteria, otherwise he would have been our player for a year.

Sign two quality forwards
Nicholas Pepe, Ziyech, Neres

a versatile full back good enough to play.
Manga as someone said above for a strictly Klavan option, or Tarkowski for a younger option.
Sell Lovren if we buy De Ligt.

Thomas1195

I'll take Keita, Wijnaldum and Henderson any day of the week.
Both Keita and Henderson haven't proved that they can provide creative passes and throughs to open up opponents' defence on a consistent basis. Wijnaldum haven't done so for two seasons.

None of these three players are good at free kicks.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Both Keita and Henderson haven't proved that they can provide creative passes and throughs to open up opponents' defence on a consistent basis. Wijnaldum haven't done so for two seasons.

None of these three players are good at free kicks.
Henderson has created plenty since moving forward. Keita was coming into form. Gini just battered Barcelona. We have other players who can take set pieces.

There's more to playing in our midfield than being able to play a few nice passes. Maddison hasn't got the ability to put in the work that those 3 have. He's an inferior player and has no versatility. Gini's numbers in his first season were far better than they are in this one yet he's a much better and more important player now...

Not to mention how expensive Maddison would be. If we're willing to pay a lot of money for this type of player we might as well aim for Havertz, he is significantly better than Maddison.

Thomas1195

Not to mention how expensive Maddison would be. If we're willing to pay a lot of money for this type of player we might as well aim for Havertz, he is significantly better than Maddison.
Ah, Havertz and Brandt. Recently, Leverkusen demanded €100m from Bayern for Havertz. OTOH, Brandt's release fee is only €25m and his contract will end soon, so probably we should choose the latter. The biggest obstacle, in the end, is Bayern Munich, who is looking for replacements for Robben-Ribery.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ah, Havertz and Brandt. Recently, Leverkusen demanded €100m from Bayern for Havertz. OTOH, Brandt's release fee is only €25m and his contract will end soon, so probably we should choose the latter. The biggest obstacle, in the end, is Bayern Munich, who is looking for replacements for Robben-Ribery.
Brandt is the obvious pick. Unlike Maddison his athleticism and work rate is fantastic. He would suit this side down to the ground.

We should be able to compete with Bayern. Who wouldn't want to come here after a season like this?

Limiescouse

2. How to rest VVD more. Lallana and Clyne are examples of what happens to players who are overused.
He is on course to have played 50 games for us this season. That is a routine for a top CB. The game he missed because of early cup exits were games he was very unlikely to have played in anyway, so this is likely the top limit of what he will play in a season. And again,a number CBs have managed year after year after year without issue. Where is the problem?

Last edited:

Thomas1195

Brandt is the obvious pick. Unlike Maddison his athleticism and work rate is fantastic. He would suit this side down to the ground.

We should be able to compete with Bayern. Who wouldn't want to come here after a season like this?
I can imagine of a starting midfield consisting of AOC - Fabinho - Brandt, but only Fabinho is guaranteed a starting position, as he is currently our best CDM.

Kopstar

★★★★★
He is on course to have played 50 games for us this season. That is a routine for a top CB. The game he missed because of early cup exits were games he was very unlikely to have played in anyway, so this is likely the top limit of what he will play in a season. And again,a number CBs have managed year after year after year without issue. Where is the problem?
Because we got knocked out at the first hurdle in each of the domestic cups. If we want to compete across four fronts and challenge for all trophies available I think we really need to be able to rest him (without doing so simply by being knocked out of competitions!) without a significant drop in quality.

50 games really is the upper amount a CB ought to be playing per season: Sol Campbell only did it twice in his career, John Terry managed it 5 times (not once after the age of 30), Carragher managed it 9 times. Carlos Puyol did it three times, Ramos twice, Pique's done it once, and Varane's never done it, nor did Cannavaro.

Limiescouse

Because we got knocked out at the first hurdle in each of the domestic cups. If we want to compete across four fronts and challenge for all trophies available I think we really need tot be able to rest him (without doing so simply by being knocked out of competitions!) without a significant drop in quality.
As I said, those are games he was unlikely to have played in anyway.

Kopstar

★★★★★
As I said, those are games he was unlikely to have played in anyway.
That's fine, in which case we'd be playing with a 2 from Matip, Gomez, Lovren...(or Hoever as we did against Wolves). That's not ideal. If it got to the latter stages of those competitions I'm quite sure van Dijk wouldn't be rested.

My ideal would be to have Gomez, De Ligt and Van Dijk going into next season which no significant drop off regardless of who made up the 2 on any given matchday. If we challenge to the latter stages of all competitions (as we must aspire to do) they'd each get 40+ games if they remained fit (which rotation would facilitate).

carragold

TIA Youth Team
https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/akabg5
Just got a good thread from Reddit Liverpool FC. If Clyne, Lallana and Sturridge all leave, we will actually have a deficit of home-grown players.
So, what do you think about this?

Or, the question is, which English/home-grown options do you guys actually like in the transfer market?
Lallana could get another season with us or until his contract runs he won't be gone.

Clyne and Sturridge are definitely gone so either the promote from the youths or we are getting an English player in this window. Hope it's Sancho

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

Game time would be a big concern for him. That and would he be ok to come to a different country.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Snip snip snip about squad.
The rules for homegrown and youth are drastically different for PL and CL.
For CL : Only Wilson and Gomez will qualify as club trained for CL with Hendo, Ox and Milner qualifying as association trained. TAA would be still under B list as he is under 21. Same is the case for Woodburn and Brewster. They can become club trained only when they are 22 years old due to complexity of rules.
For PL : all above 6 would be homegrown.

We should still be able to ignore the homegrown rules of both PL and CL this year and we are nowhere near any problems in this aspect. But it's better to get 1 or 2 English players.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'm with you 100% mate. When Gomez got clattered we had to raid the midfield to cover with Matip and Lovren struggling. We shouldn't have to do that at this level. Maybe not the absolute #1 priority but definitely an Achilles heel that needs to be addressed, and Lovren isn't good enough even when fully fit IMO. The Gomez injury was a massive issue and messed with our momentum. We got through it, but only by spreading ourselves thinly for a while.
Although City ended up playing John Stones in midfield earlier in the season. There is a limit to how many top players you can keep on the books, even for the very big clubs. The problem is that a player who is fourth choice Centre Back is either going to be very limited with a notable drop off when he does come in, or very pissed off.

At times where a team is carrying injuries, there will always be a need to be creative with solutions. Otherwise we wouldn’t be punching the air when Fernandinho or De Brunye do themselves.

Being able to find a serviceable 5th or 6th choice Centre Back from the squad is a blessing, not a curse. Which leads me on to Fabinho.

There are some who say we are covered in the centre back role because Fabinho can play there, but always thought he had been bought as a midfielder. This in itself proves that we have a weakness in our squad strength that we have to rectify.
I’ve absolutely no problem with Fabinho getting a handful of games at Centre Back, and if those games are chosen carefully, against the teams that will come to Anfield and sit back, it could make us arguably stronger to have an extra midfielder on the pitch.

This kind of versatility and flexibility is key to keeping a squad of 20 outfield players happy. We can’t sign a left back who will slot in with no drop in quality from Robbo, and tell him he might get a game when that absolute machine of a player needs a rest. If the lads outside your best 13-14 can play a few positions then they’ll get enough games to keep them happy.

For this reason, as much as I’d love us to get De Ligt, I can see Klopp deciding to do nothing at Centre Back. Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip and Lovren is good enough, with Fab able to drop in, and Hoever highly rated.

Ultimately, we only conceded 22 goals in the league, and you can’t do much better than that. With that in mind it becomes a question of economics. How much should we spend trying to further improve the defence? Is Klopp going to want to spend £30m, £40m, £50m on a new defender when we might realistically only be able to reduce our goals conceded by a couple? I could absolutely see the logic in deciding the best thing to do with our defence is nothing at all.

Kopstar

★★★★★
https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/akabg5
Just got a good thread from Reddit Liverpool FC. If Clyne, Lallana and Sturridge all leave, we will actually have a deficit of home-grown players.
So, what do you think about this?

Or, the question is, which English/home-grown options do you guys actually like in the transfer market?
That thread gets the CL rules wrong. One important factor is that you can only put on the B list players who have been at the club for at least 2 years. This is often overlooked when I see discussion of squad rules viz a viz signings.

The rules for homegrown and youth are drastically different for PL and CL.
For CL : Only Wilson and Gomez will qualify as club trained for CL with Hendo, Ox and Milner qualifying as association trained. TAA would be still under B list as he is under 21. Same is the case for Woodburn and Brewster. They can become club trained only when they are 22 years old due to complexity of rules.
For PL : all above 6 would be homegrown.

We should still be able to ignore the homegrown rules of both PL and CL this year and we are nowhere near any problems in this aspect. But it's better to get 1 or 2 English players.
Yeah, we shouldn't worry about filling the HG requirements for either squad. Certainly no need for us to sign HG players solely for the purpose of filling out the squad.

That is not ideal? Why?
Because none of the three can be relied on consistently and only one of them (Gomez) is at the level we need long term.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
"Seemed to always"? Either he always gets injured when he plays at RB or he doesn't. I would say he doesn't. If that actually is a problem then we could play some one else at RB when resting Trent. Maybe Camacho, or buy a back-up RB without breaking the bank.

I'm not saying "rely on our academy players". I mentioned one academy player to point out that we do have four CBs even if we sold Lovren. But of course if we sell then we should buy someone experienced as a replacement.

So you're willing to bin Gomez in favour of some 19 year old who has limited experience, would cost a ridiculous amount, and might not develop into the great player that people seem to assume he'll become. Maybe Hoever will be that great player. So why don't we stand by our players and give them opportunities to develop instead of jumping at the flavour of the month?
On the contrary, that's exactly what I'm trying to drive. De Light if he comes, he'll likely be our #2 CB, but there the need seems fairly minimal when our 2nd to 4th options are already quite solid, with the 5th a highly rated talent. Hopefully these guys can stay fit, but if anything we should consider getting is an experienced and willing rotation player.

Things may change if we get a long-term injury (touch wood) or if VVD starts to burn out.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
That thread gets the CL rules wrong. One important factor is that you can only put on the B list players who have been at the club for at least 2 years. This is often overlooked when I see discussion of squad rules viz a viz signings.

Yeah, we shouldn't worry about filling the HG requirements for either squad. Certainly no need for us to sign HG players solely for the purpose of filling out the squad.

Because none of the three can be relied on consistently and only one of them (Gomez) is at the level we need long term.
IMHO we need to leave the FV:/CB situation alone, maybe pickup a young LB to qualify as home grown? Lewis?

Need another attacking midfielder/striker who can cover the front three or drop a little deeper.

Kai Havertz.
Heung-Min Son.

Buy premier scouts and get them working on building the academy at Kirkby. Make it the place all of those young kids want to train at

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
For defence, while it might be difficult, but I would actively try to sell off Lovren if it is possible to get De Ligt in. VVD with Gomez and De Ligt learning alongside him would build our future CB pairing in 5 years and having Matip as the solid experienced option that he has proven himself to be would be great.

We definitely need a backup at LB and RB. Despite being the greatest RB in the world now, TAA is prone to mistakes and people forget he is still so young, so I would be reluctant to put another young fellow as backup. If anything, the side that I would have a youth backing up would be LB. Robertson tends to be more consistent, super fit. I think an older RB option ala the Matip kind might be needed or Clyne.

Midfield I think its important to keep Milner at least another season or two. Having Hendo, Ox, Shaqiri, Milner, Gini, Fabinho and Keita, assuming Lallana is off, we are pretty settled here.

The forwards need the most work. Everyone can see when one of the 3 is out, at times we struggle to replace them with apt players. With Sturridge leaving, I think Origi has proven a worthy shot if he wants to stay. I think we can use one of the youths who have proven themselves like Wilson and its important to buy someone who is in the mould of Salah and Mane. Quick, hardworking, runs alot, helps out in defence and can score.

William Clarke

redshirt
Although City ended up playing John Stones in midfield earlier in the season. There is a limit to how many top players you can keep on the books, even for the very big clubs. The problem is that a player who is fourth choice Centre Back is either going to be very limited with a notable drop off when he does come in, or very pissed off.

At times where a team is carrying injuries, there will always be a need to be creative with solutions. Otherwise we wouldn’t be punching the air when Fernandinho or De Brunye do themselves.

Being able to find a serviceable 5th or 6th choice Centre Back from the squad is a blessing, not a curse. Which leads me on to Fabinho.

I’ve absolutely no problem with Fabinho getting a handful of games at Centre Back, and if those games are chosen carefully, against the teams that will come to Anfield and sit back, it could make us arguably stronger to have an extra midfielder on the pitch.

This kind of versatility and flexibility is key to keeping a squad of 20 outfield players happy. We can’t sign a left back who will slot in with no drop in quality from Robbo, and tell him he might get a game when that absolute machine of a player needs a rest. If the lads outside your best 13-14 can play a few positions then they’ll get enough games to keep them happy.

For this reason, as much as I’d love us to get De Ligt, I can see Klopp deciding to do nothing at Centre Back. Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip and Lovren is good enough, with Fab able to drop in, and Hoever highly rated.

Ultimately, we only conceded 22 goals in the league, and you can’t do much better than that. With that in mind it becomes a question of economics. How much should we spend trying to further improve the defence? Is Klopp going to want to spend £30m, £40m, £50m on a new defender when we might realistically only be able to reduce our goals conceded by a couple? I could absolutely see the logic in deciding the best thing to do with our defence is nothing at all.
Yeah, I agree, we have the meanest defence in the Prem, but seeing the way we played against Wolves had me a little worried. I know we kept a clean sheet, and maybe the pressures of the day took their toll, but you have to admit that we looked a little jaded and at times off the pace. I feel we do need another defender who can play in a couple of positions and it doesn't necessarily have to be someone as costly as de Ligt. If we sign nobody then I feel we will not progress. We need to freshen up the squad by a signing or two and introduce an Academy player or two in matches at home that we would be expected to win.

Mascot88

Admin
Given the dribbles from the club about doing very little business, which are clearly little leaks to get fans used to the idea that this season is not going to be a 150m splurge, there is probably a need to look at this from the point of view of what our summer looks like, doing as little as possible.

I think that means taking our 97 point, double champions league finalist team and swapping the lads who are in all likelihood leaving - Lallana, Moreno, and Sturridge - for two players of genuine quality.

We have the best defence in the league, and as long as Milner is staying around to do a shift at fullback every now and then, we don’t need to do anything.

We replace Lallana with a creative midfielder - someone like Brandt, and replace Sturridge with Neres. And at that we call it a day.

Alisson
Mignolet
Grabara

Alexander-Arnold
Robertson
Milner

Van Dijk
Gomez
Matip
Lovren

Fabinho
Henderson
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Keita
Shaqiri
Brandt
Wilson

Salah
Firmino
Mane
Origi
Neres
Brewster

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
Robbo is a machine but even so was looking pretty knackered in the final weeks, in my mind we absolutely have to bring in someone to replace Moreno as there's no way he can play every game every season, especially if you factor in that we went out of both domestic cups very early and would probably hope to add at least another half a dozen games there per season ideally.

If that player is pretty versatile - like he can play either side or centrally as well - then even better.

Full-back (LB but ideally a bit versatile)
Attacking mid (eg Brandt)
Attacker
Backup GK (I can't see Mignolet staying another season and not particularly fussed either way)

And done.

If it was up to me I'd be replacing Lovren as well, but if Klopp doesn't see that as a priority then fine.

William Clarke

redshirt
Given the dribbles from the club about doing very little business, which are clearly little leaks to get fans used to the idea that this season is not going to be a 150m splurge, there is probably a need to look at this from the point of view of what our summer looks like, doing as little as possible.

I think that means taking our 97 point, double champions league finalist team and swapping the lads who are in all likelihood leaving - Lallana, Moreno, and Sturridge - for two players of genuine quality.

We have the best defence in the league, and as long as Milner is staying around to do a shift at fullback every now and then, we don’t need to do anything.

We replace Lallana with a creative midfielder - someone like Brandt, and replace Sturridge with Neres. And at that we call it a day.

Alisson
Mignolet
Grabara

Alexander-Arnold
Robertson
Milner

Van Dijk
Gomez
Matip
Lovren

Fabinho
Henderson
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Keita
Shaqiri
Brandt
Wilson

Salah
Firmino
Mane
Origi
Neres
Brewster
I like your list of players with the exception of Lovren. I do not have any faith in his ability to defend, finding him really flaky and panicky at times. Another defender should be brought in who could play a central or full back role would be my preference.

Mascot88

Admin
Yeah, I agree, we have the meanest defence in the Prem, but seeing the way we played against Wolves had me a little worried. I know we kept a clean sheet, and maybe the pressures of the day took their toll, but you have to admit that we looked a little jaded and at times off the pace. I feel we do need another defender who can play in a couple of positions and it doesn't necessarily have to be someone as costly as de Ligt. If we sign nobody then I feel we will not progress. We need to freshen up the squad by a signing or two and introduce an Academy player or two in matches at home that we would be expected to win.
I see where you’re coming from, but look at it this way.

We’ve conceded 22 league goals, and in all likelihood we’re not going to get much better than that. The record in the premier league is the 14 conceded by Chelsea under Mourinho, which came at a terrible psychic cost.

If you have some money to spend on the team, are you really trying to improve the defence?

I think sticking with the defence we have for the coming season might work well for us, for the following reasons.

By the end of next season we’ll probably have a better idea about Joe Gomez. Is he always going to be injury prone, or is he the rock solid partner for Van Dijk we want him to be?

Knowing this will influence what we do. Are we spending £70m on a first choice partner for VVD or are we buying a back up to replace Matip and Lovren?

Give that we know this is a sound defence that should concede <25 goals next season, I can see why Klopp might want to wait until he knows what he needs. We know he is very careful with money and wants to be absolutely sure. I can’t see him buying a world class Centre Back until he knows Gomez isn’t one. And he won’t buy capable deputies while he already has capable deputies at the club.

Mascot88

Admin
I like your list of players with the exception of Lovren. I do not have any faith in his ability to defend, finding him really flaky and panicky at times. Another defender should be brought in who could play a central or full back role would be my preference.
He doesn’t convince me either, but the club have put it out there that he is going nowhere...