• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Red over the water

That Lloyd Kelly guy's stats seem not impressive. He was not even a regular starter at Championship.
Sessegnon is fantastic but Tottenham seems to have won the race for him.

Brandt is obvious, I don't think Klopp will miss this target.
I haven’t personally seen Kelly, just going on the name floating around, and the fact that he’s young, home grown, can cover lb and central defence, and won’t expect to play much yet, which gives time for him to improve under our coaching, and also gives time for the current defensive permutations to work themselves out a bit. But if he’s not all that, I’m not sold on him per se, but we do need lb cover.

The price I saw recently for Sessegnon seemed very low, so I’ll be surprised if he’s under £30M.

We’re in a good spot - we don’t need a massive overhaul, and we are a very desirable destination for people who want to contest at the sharp end of the Prem and CL. Our recruitment team has been doing well too, so I can’t wait to see what we do.

I’m thinking three signings, two for the so called first team (but obviously we don’t have a first XI) and one, maybe two to grow.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I haven’t personally seen Kelly, just going on the name floating around, and the fact that he’s young, home grown, can cover lb and central defence, and won’t expect to play much yet, which gives time for him to improve under our coaching, and also gives time for the current defensive permutations to work themselves out a bit. But if he’s not all that, I’m not sold on him per se, but we do need lb cover.

The price I saw recently for Sessegnon seemed very low, so I’ll be surprised if he’s under £30M.

We’re in a good spot - we don’t need a massive overhaul, and we are a very desirable destination for people who want to contest at the sharp end of the Prem and CL. Our recruitment team has been doing well too, so I can’t wait to see what we do.

I’m thinking three signings, two for the so called first team (but obviously we don’t have a first XI) and one, maybe two to grow.
The price for Sessegnon is probably reflected by the fact he's about to enter the last year of his contract, and also that Fulham were just relegated.

Red over the water

Bergwijn/Pepe for pace and goals to add to the main current front tree.
Brandt/Aouar for guile, assists and goals to come from the midfield.

Beyond that, or players like that, it’s hard to say.
Origi has overcome his slump and has proved very useful, and should get a new deal.
Brewster will replace Sturridge and will be looking to make his mark with the minutes he gets.
Will we sign a back up left back, or go with an academy promotion?
Will Mignolet want to leave to play more?
What will we do with one or two impressive youngsters, like Wilson and Grujic, who have done well on loan?
Will we go big on a player like De Ligt, given the options we already have in that position?

All these questions, and more, will be answered this summer!

In the meantime it’s hard to focus on number six as it is still a way off, but hopefully the players have a little break, then regroup, prepare and bring Big Ears home. It’s time for a parade. 2005 was special. Let’s do it again.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Bergwijn/Pepe for pace and goals to add to the main current front tree.
Brandt/Aouar for guile, assists and goals to come from the midfield.
An attacker and an attacking midfielder - would be nice but

unless we reach at least the semi-finals in CL, FA Cup and Carabao Cup i doubt we can give two attacking new signings enough minutes IMO.

Thomas1195

An attacker and an attacking midfielder - would be nice but

unless we reach at least the semi-finals in CL, FA Cup and Carabao Cup i doubt we can give two attacking new signings enough minutes IMO.
Brandt is good enough to break into our starting 11 midfield within 3 months or even less. He will direct compete with Henderson and AOC for No.8 under our system. My prediction is that Henderson will lag behind a healthy AOC and Brandt, unless he can consistently produce his post-Southampton performance.

About Pepe I agree.

When potentially losing Sturridge, Ings, Lallana, Origi as attacking options I disagree.
Origi is likely to get a new contract. Sturridge will be replaced by Brewster and Lallana will be replaced by Brandt.

Thomas1195

What will we do with one or two impressive youngsters, like Wilson and Grujic, who have done well on loan?
Sell Grujic. Atletico is offering a very good price. With Brandt coming and AOC fully recovering our midfield will be very packed.
Wilson should be kept, he is more versatile and can play both as midfielder and as winger/forward.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
When potentially losing Sturridge, Ings, Lallana, Origi as attacking options I disagree.
Sturridge 7 minutes played this season
Ings 0 minutes played this season
Lallana 4 minutes played this season
Origi 11 minutes played this season

Ox missed the whole season
Keita would like to get more minutes
Shaqiri would like to get more minutes
Brewster is hoping to get a few

I'm also hoping for two attacking signings but can't see it happen.

ABRed

We've conquered all of Europe.
How about David Alaba from Bayern as a LB backup? Bayern just bought Lucas Hernandez for £80m, so we can expect Alaba to try to leave. This Alaba guy is definitely world-class and has been playing for BM since around 2012. He would be a light year better option than Chilwell or Sessegnon.
Noway he would sign as a back-up.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sturridge 7 minutes played this season
Ings 0 minutes played this season
Lallana 4 minutes played this season
Origi 11 minutes played this season

Ox missed the whole season
Keita would like to get more minutes
Shaqiri would like to get more minutes
Brewster is hoping to get a few

I'm also hoping for two attacking signings but can't see it happen.
Fucking hell Origi scored a lot of goals per playing time then!!!

Edit; On a serious note we haven't had good cover and options up top this season to rotate and rest the starting front 3. Looking at how much those options played doesn't say how long better options would get on the pitch for.

jackh1092

Brandt is good enough to break into our starting 11 midfield within 3 months or even less. He will direct compete with Henderson and AOC for No.8 under our system. My prediction is that Henderson will lag behind a healthy AOC and Brandt, unless he can consistently produce his post-Southampton performance.

About Pepe I agree.

Origi is likely to get a new contract. Sturridge will be replaced by Brewster and Lallana will be replaced by Brandt.
Never seen a lot of Brandt but does he work off the ball well?

From what i've read he hasn't been CM for long, so tactically he'll be found out at LFC. Big change from being at a team where your one of the better players.

At their game this weekend so it'll be exciting to see him!

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Fucking hell Origi scored a lot of goals per playing time then!!!

Edit; On a serious note we haven't had good cover and options up top this season to rotate and rest the starting front 3. Looking at how much those options played doesn't say how long better options would get on the pitch for.
It's like the argument around getting backup to Robbo - yes, physically he seems robust enough to be available to play near enough every game, but the fact he played 46 games this season is less about that and more about the quality (or lack of it) providing backup in his position. Bringing in a better player than Moreno means Robbo can be rested at key times while the added competition may help drive him to even greater heights... certainly he wouldn't be starting to flag during the run-in through fatigue. However, it would be better for that backup to be able to play in other positions as well, so we can offer them at least semi-regular action throughout the season.

It isn't just the demands of Liverpool FC either, we need to bear in mind the fact that our best players are key men for their countries as well, and the likes of Mo and Sadio barely get any time off in the close season either due to international commitments. Having better quality options in the squad to give them a break can only be a good thing. I don't advocate the 'we need two world-class players for every position' argument, but there is certainly scope to add at least one quality attacker, one quality ACM and a quality full-back to the squad, particularly bearing in mind the players who are on their way out this summer.

RedSpikey8

IN:
Lloyd Kelly, backup for Robbo.
Ryan Sessegnon, but depends on his price. If not, Use Wilson as backup.
Nicholas Pepe, fit our system perfect and we need some depth if Salah or Mané gets injured.
Timo Werner, would offer some alternative style as a striker and could use Bobby as CAM.
De Ligt, Just because he is one hell of a defender. Too good to let go without a fight. We don't NEED him, but would be an insane addition.

OUT:
Moreno, free
Studge, free
Lallana, too injured and not good enough anymore. Love the guy, but we can do better. Sorry lad
Grujic, probably sell the lad. I believe he have a hugh potential, but can't see him get a lot of minutes.
Ojo, sell him
Woodburn, loan. Need some time on the pitch.
Curtis Jones, loan. Need some time on the pitch and a higher level than youth football.
Kent, sell him. I don't think he will ever be good enough, but like the guy.
Lovren, only sell him if we can get a better defender.
Migs, if he wants to stay as an backup, great, but if not we need to sell him and get a replacement.

Thomas1195

IN:
Lloyd Kelly, backup for Robbo.
Ryan Sessegnon, but depends on his price. If not, Use Wilson as backup.
Nicholas Pepe, fit our system perfect and we need some depth if Salah or Mané gets injured.
Timo Werner, would offer some alternative style as a striker and could use Bobby as CAM.
De Ligt, Just because he is one hell of a defender. Too good to let go without a fight. We don't NEED him, but would be an insane addition.

OUT:
Moreno, free
Studge, free
Lallana, too injured and not good enough anymore. Love the guy, but we can do better. Sorry lad
Grujic, probably sell the lad. I believe he have a hugh potential, but can't see him get a lot of minutes.
Ojo, sell him
Woodburn, loan. Need some time on the pitch.
Curtis Jones, loan. Need some time on the pitch and a higher level than youth football.
Kent, sell him. I don't think he will ever be good enough, but like the guy.
Lovren, only sell him if we can get a better defender.
Migs, if he wants to stay as an backup, great, but if not we need to sell him and get a replacement.
How about Lewis, Hoever, and Brewster? It seems that Klopp is likely to actually have plans for all of them, especially Brewster.

RedSpikey8

How about Lewis, Hoever, and Brewster? It seems that Klopp is likely to actually have plans for all of them, especially Brewster.
I don't believe they are "good enough" yet to be a part of a team who are going to challenge for the title. Would be nice to see them perform in Championship or a PL club in the bottom half. I really hope they will be a massive part of the team in the future, but don't believe they will get enough time on the pitch.. Makes more sense for me to see them perform every week on a higher level than youth football.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So besides TAA who else would be our Right Back?
Fabinho regularly starts there for Brazil. Gomez regularly starts there for us. Ox regularly played there for Arsenal. Hoever regularly plays there at youth level. Camacho, Milner and Henderson haven't done much wrong when played there and I suspect Shaqiri would be capable of doing a good job there. In real emergencies we can play Wijnaldum or Matip there.

RedForever2014

Personally I do think we need another round of investment to complete the rebuilding job, whether we win the CL or not, and I will be very disappointed in the club if it doesn't add 2 or 3 quality players.

Debate how big you take the squad and how deep you go with quality options by all means, but there is surely no doubt that you need 20 usable outfield players.

The narrative for some time has been that Klopp prefers a group of 19 or 20 senior outfield players with kids on top. Now the narrative is shifting to that 19 or 20 including unproven kids.

We have little room for dropped points if we are ever to win the PL, and I don't see 16 or 17 senior outfield players plus 3 unproven kids being anywhere near enough.

Yes those kids might well be better than Sturridge or Moreno, or even Lallana, in terms of fitness and even quality.

But the point is that the squad including those three was only competitive because we didn't need them, because we were lucky with injuries to VVD, Robertson and the front three.

The job this summer is to ensure that we can still compete even in the event of injuries and that we can keep key players fresher.

Origi has done well when used, but has a long way to go before being seen as a top quality regular rotation option for the front three, whilst I have seen little in Shaqiri to convince me that I'd want him playing regularly in the event of an injury to Bobby, Mo or Mane. Brewster is unproven.

The ideal is City's six top quality options for the three forward positions. If we can't have that then really we should be able to have five. But at the very least we need a 4th forward good enough to play regularly. Origi, Shaqiri and Brewster won't be able to play regularly at title winning levels next season.

I don't accept the argument that players won't sign if there's competition for places, especially if that competition for places means trophy success is more likely, and I don't accept that the club can't find and attract the players we need if it's willing to invest again.

Now is not the time to stop investing in senior acquisitions, we need to strengthen again and then gradually introduce the likes of Wilson and Brewster.

RedForever2014

It's like the argument around getting backup to Robbo - yes, physically he seems robust enough to be available to play near enough every game, but the fact he played 46 games this season is less about that and more about the quality (or lack of it) providing backup in his position. Bringing in a better player than Moreno means Robbo can be rested at key times while the added competition may help drive him to even greater heights... certainly he wouldn't be starting to flag during the run-in through fatigue. However, it would be better for that backup to be able to play in other positions as well, so we can offer them at least semi-regular action throughout the season.

It isn't just the demands of Liverpool FC either, we need to bear in mind the fact that our best players are key men for their countries as well, and the likes of Mo and Sadio barely get any time off in the close season either due to international commitments. Having better quality options in the squad to give them a break can only be a good thing. I don't advocate the 'we need two world-class players for every position' argument, but there is certainly scope to add at least one quality attacker, one quality ACM and a quality full-back to the squad, particularly bearing in mind the players who are on their way out this summer.
Totally right on all fronts.

People forget the international matches, the total amount of matches played, the lack of summer breaks.

Robertson was fresh last season at this time, as he didn't play until December. Keep playing him, VDD and the front three like this and they'll suffer injuries. Bobby's injury was a classic overuse issue. The groin area takes a lot of hammer as a footballer.

We'll have to see what the club does, but the comments from Klopp worry me.

The current squad less Moreno and Sturridge plus Brewster and Wilson wouldn't be enough.

And yes, versatility is important and useful to ensure cover at a good enough quality, but why would anyone want our best midfielder out of position at right back in the event of one injury to the first choice player in that department?

Fabinho and Milner should be further cover for the full backs, not the only cover.

RedSpikey8

Totally right on all fronts.

People forget the international matches, the total amount of matches played, the lack of summer breaks.

Robertson was fresh last season at this time, as he didn't play until December. Keep playing him, VDD and the front three like this and they'll suffer injuries. Bobby's injury was a classic overuse issue. The groin area takes a lot of hammer as a footballer.

We'll have to see what the club does, but the comments from Klopp worry me.

The current squad less Moreno and Sturridge plus Brewster and Wilson wouldn't be enough.
Exactly. It's as simple as that, we need better alternatives in key positions. We've been lucky that VVD, Robbo, the front three and Trent as well, despite a minor injury, have played consistent through the season. We need some depth in our squad if we want to compete in all tournaments for the years to come.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The narrative for some time has been that Klopp prefers a group of 19 or 20 senior outfield players with kids on top. Now the narrative is shifting to that 19 or 20 including unproven kids.
Is it? Where?

Most people are saying we need to replace Sturridge, Lallana and Moreno with quality, need to add to the attack, and need to be able to rotate the front three.

Trent, Virgil, Gomez, Lovren, Matip, Robertson, Milner, Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Ox, Keita, Shaqiri, Origi, Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Add a creative midfielder, a versatile defender, and a forward option and that’s 20 players. Not including Wilson, Hoever, or Brewster, the latter of which I think is viewed as a first team player by LFC, and would have started this season were it not for injuries.

I think Liverpool will have a go at a Brandt type and a Pepe/Neres/Havertz type at the very least. Whether we go for left back cover really depends on whether Klopp thinks he already has the players to give Robbo a rest (which between Gomez and Milner he probably does, although personally I want him to stop playing Joe as a full back). I don’t think we’ll be dropping another £200m on the squad.

RedForever2014

Is it? Where?

Most people are saying we need to replace Sturridge, Lallana and Moreno with quality, need to add to the attack, and need to be able to rotate the front three.

Trent, Virgil, Gomez, Lovren, Matip, Robertson, Milner, Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Ox, Keita, Shaqiri, Origi, Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Add a creative midfielder, a versatile defender, and a forward option and that’s 20 players. Not including Wilson, Hoever, or Brewster, the latter of which I think is viewed as a first team player by LFC, and would have started this season were it not for injuries.

I think Liverpool will have a go at a Brandt type and a Pepe/Neres/Havertz type at the very least. Whether we go for left back cover really depends on whether Klopp thinks he already has the players to give Robbo a rest (which between Gomez and Milner he probably does, although personally I want him to stop playing Joe as a full back). I don’t think we’ll be dropping another £200m on the squad.
We didn't drop £200m in net terms. It's been £90m net in total under Klopp.

We'll have to see if what you propose actually happens. I have my concerns it won't.

I think we'll keep Lallana, even though he takes until Xmas to get fit each season and then is out for the season by February. We could loan him out August to Jan 1st, have him back for a month, then loan him until May and we'd get as many games from him as keeping him (and paying him) all season long.

Personally I don't see Gomez or Milner playing enough to give Andy enough rest. I also prefer left footed left backs.

I think the youngsters are very exciting, I just think they develop better on loan than as bit parts.

Adding three quality players without losing anyone is the minimum I'm looking for. Personally I'd be upgrading at centre back too. I don't see any rest opportunities for VVD with Gomez, Lovren and Matip.

I'm going to try and keep my counsel a bit more until the transfer window, as it's academic until then.

I just, as you know, believe that we're in the cash cow phase of FSG's investment lifecycle, and don't trust that they'll allow the net investment we need to improve the squad as we could.

With our revenues, our standing in the game, and Klopp as manager, we could continuously improve in almost every department if we wanted to.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
We didn't drop £200m in net terms. It's been £90m net in total under Klopp.

We'll have to see if what you propose actually happens. I have my concerns it won't.

I think we'll keep Lallana, even though he takes until Xmas to get fit each season and then is out for the season by February. We could loan him out August to Jan 1st, have him back for a month, then loan him until May and we'd get as many games from him as keeping him (and paying him) all season long.

Personally I don't see Gomez or Milner playing enough to give Andy enough rest. I also prefer left footed left backs.

I think the youngsters are very exciting, I just think they develop better on loan than as bit parts.

Adding three quality players without losing anyone is the minimum I'm looking for. Personally I'd be upgrading at centre back too. I don't see any rest opportunities for VVD with Gomez, Lovren and Matip.

I'm going to try and keep my counsel a bit more until the transfer window, as it's academic until then.

I just, as you know, believe that we're in the cash cow phase of FSG's investment lifecycle, and don't trust that they'll allow the net investment we need to improve the squad as we could.

With our revenues, our standing in the game, and Klopp as manager, we could continuously improve in almost every department if we wanted to.
You've been accusing FSG of being in the Cash Cow phase virtually since FSG took over and despite the club running at a loss for much of that time.

GaryBarlow99

If this is true and we plan on giving Brewster minutes I can see us only bringing in one forward or attacking midfielder. I would still like us to get a Fekir type but it will be interesting to see if we go for a winger like Pepe or a second striker like Dybala. There is a little Brazilian prick at Barcelona who might be able to do both :tongue: