Who would you buy?

Anfield rd Dreamer

So besides TAA who else would be our Right Back?
Fabinho regularly starts there for Brazil. Gomez regularly starts there for us. Ox regularly played there for Arsenal. Hoever regularly plays there at youth level. Camacho, Milner and Henderson haven't done much wrong when played there and I suspect Shaqiri would be capable of doing a good job there. In real emergencies we can play Wijnaldum or Matip there.

RedForever2014

Personally I do think we need another round of investment to complete the rebuilding job, whether we win the CL or not, and I will be very disappointed in the club if it doesn't add 2 or 3 quality players.

Debate how big you take the squad and how deep you go with quality options by all means, but there is surely no doubt that you need 20 usable outfield players.

The narrative for some time has been that Klopp prefers a group of 19 or 20 senior outfield players with kids on top. Now the narrative is shifting to that 19 or 20 including unproven kids.

We have little room for dropped points if we are ever to win the PL, and I don't see 16 or 17 senior outfield players plus 3 unproven kids being anywhere near enough.

Yes those kids might well be better than Sturridge or Moreno, or even Lallana, in terms of fitness and even quality.

But the point is that the squad including those three was only competitive because we didn't need them, because we were lucky with injuries to VVD, Robertson and the front three.

The job this summer is to ensure that we can still compete even in the event of injuries and that we can keep key players fresher.

Origi has done well when used, but has a long way to go before being seen as a top quality regular rotation option for the front three, whilst I have seen little in Shaqiri to convince me that I'd want him playing regularly in the event of an injury to Bobby, Mo or Mane. Brewster is unproven.

The ideal is City's six top quality options for the three forward positions. If we can't have that then really we should be able to have five. But at the very least we need a 4th forward good enough to play regularly. Origi, Shaqiri and Brewster won't be able to play regularly at title winning levels next season.

I don't accept the argument that players won't sign if there's competition for places, especially if that competition for places means trophy success is more likely, and I don't accept that the club can't find and attract the players we need if it's willing to invest again.

Now is not the time to stop investing in senior acquisitions, we need to strengthen again and then gradually introduce the likes of Wilson and Brewster.

RedForever2014

It's like the argument around getting backup to Robbo - yes, physically he seems robust enough to be available to play near enough every game, but the fact he played 46 games this season is less about that and more about the quality (or lack of it) providing backup in his position. Bringing in a better player than Moreno means Robbo can be rested at key times while the added competition may help drive him to even greater heights... certainly he wouldn't be starting to flag during the run-in through fatigue. However, it would be better for that backup to be able to play in other positions as well, so we can offer them at least semi-regular action throughout the season.

It isn't just the demands of Liverpool FC either, we need to bear in mind the fact that our best players are key men for their countries as well, and the likes of Mo and Sadio barely get any time off in the close season either due to international commitments. Having better quality options in the squad to give them a break can only be a good thing. I don't advocate the 'we need two world-class players for every position' argument, but there is certainly scope to add at least one quality attacker, one quality ACM and a quality full-back to the squad, particularly bearing in mind the players who are on their way out this summer.
Totally right on all fronts.

People forget the international matches, the total amount of matches played, the lack of summer breaks.

Robertson was fresh last season at this time, as he didn't play until December. Keep playing him, VDD and the front three like this and they'll suffer injuries. Bobby's injury was a classic overuse issue. The groin area takes a lot of hammer as a footballer.

We'll have to see what the club does, but the comments from Klopp worry me.

The current squad less Moreno and Sturridge plus Brewster and Wilson wouldn't be enough.

And yes, versatility is important and useful to ensure cover at a good enough quality, but why would anyone want our best midfielder out of position at right back in the event of one injury to the first choice player in that department?

Fabinho and Milner should be further cover for the full backs, not the only cover.

RedSpikey8

Totally right on all fronts.

People forget the international matches, the total amount of matches played, the lack of summer breaks.

Robertson was fresh last season at this time, as he didn't play until December. Keep playing him, VDD and the front three like this and they'll suffer injuries. Bobby's injury was a classic overuse issue. The groin area takes a lot of hammer as a footballer.

We'll have to see what the club does, but the comments from Klopp worry me.

The current squad less Moreno and Sturridge plus Brewster and Wilson wouldn't be enough.
Exactly. It's as simple as that, we need better alternatives in key positions. We've been lucky that VVD, Robbo, the front three and Trent as well, despite a minor injury, have played consistent through the season. We need some depth in our squad if we want to compete in all tournaments for the years to come.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The narrative for some time has been that Klopp prefers a group of 19 or 20 senior outfield players with kids on top. Now the narrative is shifting to that 19 or 20 including unproven kids.
Is it? Where?

Most people are saying we need to replace Sturridge, Lallana and Moreno with quality, need to add to the attack, and need to be able to rotate the front three.

Trent, Virgil, Gomez, Lovren, Matip, Robertson, Milner, Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Ox, Keita, Shaqiri, Origi, Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Add a creative midfielder, a versatile defender, and a forward option and that’s 20 players. Not including Wilson, Hoever, or Brewster, the latter of which I think is viewed as a first team player by LFC, and would have started this season were it not for injuries.

I think Liverpool will have a go at a Brandt type and a Pepe/Neres/Havertz type at the very least. Whether we go for left back cover really depends on whether Klopp thinks he already has the players to give Robbo a rest (which between Gomez and Milner he probably does, although personally I want him to stop playing Joe as a full back). I don’t think we’ll be dropping another £200m on the squad.

RedForever2014

Is it? Where?

Most people are saying we need to replace Sturridge, Lallana and Moreno with quality, need to add to the attack, and need to be able to rotate the front three.

Trent, Virgil, Gomez, Lovren, Matip, Robertson, Milner, Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Ox, Keita, Shaqiri, Origi, Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Add a creative midfielder, a versatile defender, and a forward option and that’s 20 players. Not including Wilson, Hoever, or Brewster, the latter of which I think is viewed as a first team player by LFC, and would have started this season were it not for injuries.

I think Liverpool will have a go at a Brandt type and a Pepe/Neres/Havertz type at the very least. Whether we go for left back cover really depends on whether Klopp thinks he already has the players to give Robbo a rest (which between Gomez and Milner he probably does, although personally I want him to stop playing Joe as a full back). I don’t think we’ll be dropping another £200m on the squad.
We didn't drop £200m in net terms. It's been £90m net in total under Klopp.

We'll have to see if what you propose actually happens. I have my concerns it won't.

I think we'll keep Lallana, even though he takes until Xmas to get fit each season and then is out for the season by February. We could loan him out August to Jan 1st, have him back for a month, then loan him until May and we'd get as many games from him as keeping him (and paying him) all season long.

Personally I don't see Gomez or Milner playing enough to give Andy enough rest. I also prefer left footed left backs.

I think the youngsters are very exciting, I just think they develop better on loan than as bit parts.

Adding three quality players without losing anyone is the minimum I'm looking for. Personally I'd be upgrading at centre back too. I don't see any rest opportunities for VVD with Gomez, Lovren and Matip.

I'm going to try and keep my counsel a bit more until the transfer window, as it's academic until then.

I just, as you know, believe that we're in the cash cow phase of FSG's investment lifecycle, and don't trust that they'll allow the net investment we need to improve the squad as we could.

With our revenues, our standing in the game, and Klopp as manager, we could continuously improve in almost every department if we wanted to.

redfanman

TIA Regular
We didn't drop £200m in net terms. It's been £90m net in total under Klopp.

We'll have to see if what you propose actually happens. I have my concerns it won't.

I think we'll keep Lallana, even though he takes until Xmas to get fit each season and then is out for the season by February. We could loan him out August to Jan 1st, have him back for a month, then loan him until May and we'd get as many games from him as keeping him (and paying him) all season long.

Personally I don't see Gomez or Milner playing enough to give Andy enough rest. I also prefer left footed left backs.

I think the youngsters are very exciting, I just think they develop better on loan than as bit parts.

Adding three quality players without losing anyone is the minimum I'm looking for. Personally I'd be upgrading at centre back too. I don't see any rest opportunities for VVD with Gomez, Lovren and Matip.

I'm going to try and keep my counsel a bit more until the transfer window, as it's academic until then.

I just, as you know, believe that we're in the cash cow phase of FSG's investment lifecycle, and don't trust that they'll allow the net investment we need to improve the squad as we could.

With our revenues, our standing in the game, and Klopp as manager, we could continuously improve in almost every department if we wanted to.
You've been accusing FSG of being in the Cash Cow phase virtually since FSG took over and despite the club running at a loss for much of that time.

GaryBarlow99

If this is true and we plan on giving Brewster minutes I can see us only bringing in one forward or attacking midfielder. I would still like us to get a Fekir type but it will be interesting to see if we go for a winger like Pepe or a second striker like Dybala. There is a little Brazilian prick at Barcelona who might be able to do both :tongue:

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Question for you.. How do you improve over;

Alisson
Robertson
Van Dijk
Alexander Arnold
Fabinho
Salah
Firmino
Mane

Would love to know your thinking as that's 8 players of our 1st team 11 and you specifically say "almost every department".

Ironically 3 players is what sensible posters on here think we will sign this summer.

The other ironic element of your post is you mention Klopp as a key element.. Guess what his preferred option is to marginal gains? No not spending money.. Training/Coaching.. So your post basically contradicts itself.

Sad you've gone back to your anti-FSG rubbish, there was like a week window you seemed alright.

jackh1092

A lot of people hoping we get De Ligt it seems. Would be nice.

Barcelona look to be signing Griezmann finally, after his announcement. They are probably look at hitting the ground running early in terms of transfers. I'd say we will know very soon if De Ligt is a possible, ie, if he hasn't been announced by Barca! They'll have their usual 100 or so mill to spend, plus Coutinho money this summer.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Zaha.

Our equivalent of Citys Mahrez signing. Would be a fantastic player to have on the bench. Like his pace, power and unpredictability. Think he would do well for us. No settling in period needed.
Yeah, coming around to that idea.

rab

We've got to be looking at a wide player this summer. Mane and Salah will be at the African Cup of Nations and that's on the back of the World Cup last summer too. That's three full seasons plus two international tournaments since their last summer off.

We can't expect that not to take a toll and given they're our most important players, we can't take a risk of starting the season or heavily relying on Origi, Shaqiri or AOC covering them out wide.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
He's absolutely world class, a wonderful versatile player just entering his peak years. Why would Bayern sell him? He may have 'only' two years left on his contract but he's one of the players who they absolutely have to keep around, isn't he?

Also, even if Bayern would sell it would be for a large fee and no way he comes if he thinks he's going to be back up for anyone.
Robbo is so much world class, that other world class players fight among them to come down to LFC to become his deputy and learn trade from him. And Alaba is the lucky winner.

Danny_

We don't need much but we do need a replacement for Coutinho/Sturridge and some more cover at LB. And we may have the perfect option - Barca apparently are getting Griezeman for 108m so Coutinho may be on the move. Bring him home. He already knows the set up so he would not need any time to adapt to the team. With this one addition, I think we have a great chance next season. Bring him home.

Last edited:

Red over the water

No to Coutinho for me. Good player, definitely, and much better than what he has managed to show at Barcelona. But for me I didn’t like how he left, but even more than that, I want new adventures and don’t want to go back. Our recruitment team is excellent. We are a top destination and we have means. So I want new heroes to emerge, not old heroes to come back to try to find their magic again.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
cheers mate.

place must be pretty positive right now, CL final to look forward to, 97 points....i might just wander into the who would you buy thread and take a gander....id imagine itll be full of hope and positivity.....
This.

This is why I've missed you.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Its still my thought that we need 2 quality options in each position and looking at what we have including youth options, I think we need to buy quality at RB, does not need to be expensive but someone solid and willing to be a squad player, maybe someone like "Matip" reliable. And one more in the forward line that can fill in for any of the front 3 without sacrificing style nor tactics.

Thomas1195

Its still my thought that we need 2 quality options in each position and looking at what we have including youth options, I think we need to buy quality at RB, does not need to be expensive but someone solid and willing to be a squad player, maybe someone like "Matip" reliable. And one more in the forward line that can fill in for any of the front 3 without sacrificing style nor tactics.
Tarkowski seems to be a Matip-like reliable CB (and he is only 26), evidenced by the fact that Leicester is going after him to replace Maguire. I think we can comfortably outbid Leicester without driving the price too high.

For RB, probably Reece James, who just had a rather successful loan spell from Chelsea to Wigan this season. Wan Bissaka is very good but will be over £30m.

Thomas1195

If there is an English midfielder not named Phil Foden (Man City will never sell him) who can be seriously considered as "the best English midfielder prospect of a generation", perhaps we should make a move.

He was the best English midfielder prospect of a generation.

jackh1092

The likelihood is that De Ligt goes to Barca. It's not the end of the world for LFC, but do we still look to buy a CB, or do we stay with the same 4? Personally, i think we still need to buy one and ship one. VVD has played through quite a few injuries this year. We need to have back ups that can play a game or two in his absence. At the moment, we are lucky to have 2 of them actually fit at one time.

Does Bissaka do enough going forward? Personally only see the point of signing him if we are confident he can progress to a level that we can move Trent to midfield. Even then, i am not sure if we should do that given the season he's just had.

RedForever2014

You've been accusing FSG of being in the Cash Cow phase virtually since FSG took over and despite the club running at a loss for much of that time.
When you own a business that operates as a separate legal entity to its owner company, you can extract cash from the owned company to the owner company via inter company charges, whilst making a loss in the owned company.

You can also divert revenues between owned companies in the group, for example having FSM arrange commercial deals for LFC and taking 30% before LFC sees the money.

Question for you.. How do you improve over;

Alisson
Robertson
Van Dijk
Alexander Arnold
Fabinho
Salah
Firmino
Mane

Would love to know your thinking as that's 8 players of our 1st team 11 and you specifically say "almost every department".

Ironically 3 players is what sensible posters on here think we will sign this summer.

The other ironic element of your post is you mention Klopp as a key element.. Guess what his preferred option is to marginal gains? No not spending money.. Training/Coaching.. So your post basically contradicts itself.

Sad you've gone back to your anti-FSG rubbish, there was like a week window you seemed alright.
A department is all players in the department.

Current squad - 21 outfield players including Clyne, excluding Grujic and Ings.

Goalkeeper department - tick (sorted).

Defence - eight players (including Clyne and Moreno, who are likely to leave), two world class players who can't be rotated (VVD and Andy), one full back (TAA) developing fast, three injury prone centre backs, no full back rotation options. We could upgrade a centre back to someone nearer to VVD who can also be the main man when VVD is rested, plus sign a viable full back.

Central midfield (including the four CMS and Keita and Oxlade, excluding Lallana who should be leaving) - mostly sorted, lacks creativity, arguably a man light if we're using midfielders to cover defence. Need to succession plan for Milner.

Forwards - includes attacking midfielders who wouldn't play in a midfield three. Three top quality players, no similar level rotation options, two decent alternatives (Shaqiri and Origi), Sturridge leaving. Needs two quality players.

If our goal is to have quality in depth, with every department like midfield (debatable first choices due to depth and same level rotation options), we would be upgrading a centre back (probably Lovren) to De Ligt, signing at least one viable rotation option for full back to replace Clyne and Moreno, and we'd sign two quality attacking midfielders come forwards.

Out - Clyne, Moreno, Lovren, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi. Plus Ings of course.

In - quality, usable, rotatable players at centre back, full back, attacking midfielder, forward.

That would be 19 senior players, to which we can add a young player or two if Klopp thinks they're ready to play more than bit parts. It seems Brewster is that ready to go youngster.

A club of our means, having noted the issues from this season, and acknowledging the risks (injuries to the forwards we didn't have this season), and looking to be equipped to move forward and compete on all fronts (maybe 7 competitions), would be adding 3 or 4 quality players.

Whether we will do it or not remains to be seen. I am only responding to comments in the media that we won't do much and will be promoting youngsters like Morgan and Hoever to replace outgoing senior players.

Kopstar

★★★★★
When you own a business that operates as a separate legal entity to its owner company, you can extract cash from the owned company to the owner company via inter company charges, whilst making a loss in the owned company.

You can also divert revenues between owned companies in the group, for example having FSM arrange commercial deals for LFC and taking 30% before LFC sees the money.
I suspect they're creaming off the top on our commercial deals as well (either that or they're shit at maximising commercial revenue) but your reference to 30%. Is that hypothetical, just what you postulate is going on or do you have anything to indicate that's the cut they're taking?