• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We've been linked, or linked ourselves, to about 7 or 8 different players at Lyon, but in light of seeing links of him to Utd for 40 million Euro, I wonder if the best match for us there wouldn't be Moussa Dembele (the other one).
We had scouts to watch Aouar (Lyon), Ndombele (Lyon), Depay (Marseille) recently.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Need a bigger challenge. Who is the best left back from teams in div 2 who were relegated lol
Lottery would have been easier to strike if this is going to be our way forward.... :). I think the media, pundits and fans should scour around the internet in rival forums, see who they've been bigged up the entire season saying they are going for the player, got him and even made a youtube video of him... Something like this.

lollollol

RedForever2014

A big part of not making sweeping changes comes down to a few things.

1) Our entire 1st team is hitting peak or about to shortly.

Alisson - 26
TAA - 20
Gomez - 21
Van Dijk - 28
Robertson - 25
Fabinho - 25
Henderson - 28 (Keita - 24)
Oxlade - 25 (Wijnaldum - 28
Salah - 26
Firmino - 27
Mane - 27

All of those are committed to this side and they all have a minimum of 4 years at their peak in the tank.

2) We have no major outgoings bar fringe players. Most windows mean a re-shuffle because we need to replace someone, I highly doubt anyone we want to retain leaves this summer.

3) The quality of our 1st team is at such high levels to bring someone in to make a marginal increase would cost so much money it probably makes zero benefit in a cost vs benefit analysis.

You look around and there are reasons other teams will spend big. Some are scared this new wave of young, coached teams are going to dominate the old European giants - Barca, Real, Bayern etc. Some just are shit so need massive overhauls, some are going to lose their top players (see Chelsea), some have an core made up of players with an average age of 33 (see City).

That’s why we will sit quietly and make a few good well thought out deals to strengthen the depth, but dont expect much more.
Nobody said we need sweeping changes, but that doesn't mean we only need to swap out a few squad players for more of the same.

What we need to do is add players of the quality to enable greater competition for starting places and greater rotation in all departments.

It is the fact that we have around 80% to 90% of the squad we need that means we can add the finishing touches within a reasonable spend.

Let's be clear, a club in our position, on and off the pitch, with a golden opportunity to add what's needed to start winning multiple trophies, should be adding 3 or 4 quality players, especially as Klopp and Edwards have proven they can identify the right players and ensure money is not wasted through dud buys.

The things to consider and address are obvious.

1. We need a 20 man senior outfield squad, with genuine rotation options in every department. With the likely departures there'll be 3 or 4 slots to fill.
2. In defence we need to consider that if Clyne and Moreno leave we'll have six players. We need to note the injury prone nature of our centre backs, plus the fact that VVD can rarely be rested, that resting TAA involves playing players out of position, and that there is no left footed rotation option for Robertson.
3. In midfield we need to consider that Oxlade might not be the same as before his injury, that Milner has maybe a season left and could dip next season if father time kicks in (thus might become more bit part), and that Lallana needs to be moved on as he is a waste of a squad space.
4. Up front, whilst Origi and Shaqiri have proven to be of use, neither is good enough to be a regular or long term rotation option for the front three. Only if we add a 4th top quality forward can we say the forward depth is anywhere near enough.

Limiescouse

We had scouts to watch Aouar (Lyon), Ndombele (Lyon), Depay (Marseille) recently.

Depay plays for Lyon as well. However, that is sort of my point. We know there is some interest in someone at Lyon, but it is difficult to know who it actually is. There are the 3 players you metion above and Fekir, but my point is that I wonder if Dembelle is actually the best fit for us. We were linked with him back when he was at Fulham, and we know that our interest is not a one window and done situation.

The striker? Would he be much improvement over Origi?
Honestly don't know, but he is 22, fast as hell and the top scorer in a side with about 200 million quid of other attacking talent we have been linked with. From a profile perspective he seems to fit what we all think we should be looking for. But I also dont think I agree that the question is a relevant one. Assuming we keep Origi, arent we looking to supplement him? Also, despite being primarily a striker, I am also assuming that given his pace he would be fine to play one of the wider roles given the way we play.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There's an awful lot of the squad I'm extremely happy with. 97 points and a champions league final is great.

There's very little that could be improved but if those improvements were made how good could we become as a side?

GK Alisson and Mignolet with depth provided by Grabara or Kelleher (and the other on loan) is damn near perfect. If Mignolet played a little more similarly to Alisson it would be. As Simon will want to move on this summer or next I expect that improvement to happen soon.

CB Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip and Lovren with further depth from Fabinho and Hoever. On paper it's perfect. Off paper concerns over the injury histories of 3 of them, the willingness for Lovren to accept being 4th choice and the age of Lovren mean it might be a good idea to replace Lovren with a more robust option. Whether that's a top talent capable of getting into the conversation for a starting role or just a solid back up is the question.

FB Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are perfect and still improving. Scary how good they could become. There's no real competition just lots of cover from Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Fabinho and maybe Ox. I'm assuming Moreno and Clyne move on. Lots of "maybe" youngsters who could kick on and become options. Going with what we have for a year whilst we see if a kid can claim a spot wouldn't be awful but there is room for a good option that plays both sides. May need that player eventually as Milner ages/retires if no kids kick on.

Holding midfield Fabinho is perfect and competition/cover from Henderson and Wijnaldum is surely as strong as anywhere.

CM Keita, Wijnaldum, Henderson for 1 or 2 roles is fantastic. Milner able to offer some depth, maybe some kids too.

AM Ox is perfect for Klopp whether as an offensive 8 in a midfield 3 or part of the attacking 3 in a 4231. There's a few half options in the forms of Wilson, Woodburn, Curtis Jones, Keita and Shaqiri. In a 4231 Firmino and Mane play in the 3 too. If we are going to play 4231 more next season I think we need someone in AM and it won't harm us to have another good option in 433 but don't think it's required for a 3 man midfield.

Wings Salah and Mane are as good as it gets. Wilson, Woodburn, Brewster would offer some depth. Shaqiri on the right and Origi on the left are options too. With Mane being able to play on the right and centrally I think in 433 our biggest ability to improve is adding a top LF option. Would be an extremely useful player still in 4231 if we go back to it.

CF in 433 Firmino is a world class option. Mane is great here too. Origi and Salah can offer a more direct option in the role too, especially in 4231 when Salah would probably start. Brewster is an unknown as to how he'd fit and someone like Wilson or Woodburn could become a Firmino style forward yet.

If we went into next season with nobody added just using the players we already have that are listed above I still think we would compete. But we could go from great to world class with one definite move and a few potential moves. Adding a strong LF choice, potentially a CB, potentially a FB who can play both sides, potentially a back up keeper and maybe an attacking mid if we start playing 4231 a bit again. Its exciting to see how great we are and could become.

Flobs

FADA
There's an awful lot of the squad I'm extremely happy with. 97 points and a champions league final is great.

There's very little that could be improved but if those improvements were made how good could we become as a side?

GK Alisson and Mignolet with depth provided by Grabara or Kelleher (and the other on loan) is damn near perfect. If Mignolet played a little more similarly to Alisson it would be. As Simon will want to move on this summer or next I expect that improvement to happen soon.

CB Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip and Lovren with further depth from Fabinho and Hoever. On paper it's perfect. Off paper concerns over the injury histories of 3 of them, the willingness for Lovren to accept being 4th choice and the age of Lovren mean it might be a good idea to replace Lovren with a more robust option. Whether that's a top talent capable of getting into the conversation for a starting role or just a solid back up is the question.

FB Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are perfect and still improving. Scary how good they could become. There's no real competition just lots of cover from Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Fabinho and maybe Ox. I'm assuming Moreno and Clyne move on. Lots of "maybe" youngsters who could kick on and become options. Going with what we have for a year whilst we see if a kid can claim a spot wouldn't be awful but there is room for a good option that plays both sides. May need that player eventually as Milner ages/retires if no kids kick on.

Holding midfield Fabinho is perfect and competition/cover from Henderson and Wijnaldum is surely as strong as anywhere.

CM Keita, Wijnaldum, Henderson for 1 or 2 roles is fantastic. Milner able to offer some depth, maybe some kids too.

AM Ox is perfect for Klopp whether as an offensive 8 in a midfield 3 or part of the attacking 3 in a 4231. There's a few half options in the forms of Wilson, Woodburn, Curtis Jones, Keita and Shaqiri. In a 4231 Firmino and Mane play in the 3 too. If we are going to play 4231 more next season I think we need someone in AM and it won't harm us to have another good option in 433 but don't think it's required for a 3 man midfield.

Wings Salah and Mane are as good as it gets. Wilson, Woodburn, Brewster would offer some depth. Shaqiri on the right and Origi on the left are options too. With Mane being able to play on the right and centrally I think in 433 our biggest ability to improve is adding a top LF option. Would be an extremely useful player still in 4231 if we go back to it.

CF in 433 Firmino is a world class option. Mane is great here too. Origi and Salah can offer a more direct option in the role too, especially in 4231 when Salah would probably start. Brewster is an unknown as to how he'd fit and someone like Wilson or Woodburn could become a Firmino style forward yet.

If we went into next season with nobody added just using the players we already have that are listed above I still think we would compete. But we could go from great to world class with one definite move and a few potential moves. Adding a strong LF choice, potentially a CB, potentially a FB who can play both sides, potentially a back up keeper and maybe an attacking mid if we start playing 4231 a bit again. Its exciting to see how great we are and could become.
Klopp seems to try the 4231 formation every year and ends up in 433 because that's the players we have.
If he wants to really have a go at 4231 then imo we need another top DM to partner Fabhinho. A Kanté motor or a Neves playmaker. I know we have Henderson and Wijnaldum but DM isn't their best position (which is why only 1 more DM is needed as both the afformentioned can rotate in).

RedForever2014

I agree in the main, but it's dangerous to think we could go again with the same squad and get the same or better results.

We could be in 7 competitions, key players won't have had a summer off, and if we're honest we only competed this season because we didn't suffer injuries to VVD, Robertson or the front three.

I covered the issues I think need addressing in my post.

If the club does little in the market to address them this summer, for me that's a club that is focussing on profit and investment return.

Having lots of cover is kind of a false reassurance if they're not good enough to play regularly, which they might have to in the event of an injury.

We don't need 20 like for like players, but we need genuine competition for places in all areas, and genuine rotation options.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I agree in the main, but it's dangerous to think we could go again with the same squad and get the same or better results.
Equally dangerous to think buying players will get us the same or better outcome than this season. It is a gamble whenever you introduced a new player into the system and there aren't many that could trump this current group in their ability. Those that could would cost us the kind of money we may not have, even after the sale of players. Let's not forget we have Brewster and Oxlade to come in, and would be as good as new signing for me those two.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Depay plays for Lyon as well. However, that is sort of my point. We know there is some interest in someone at Lyon, but it is difficult to know who it actually is. There are the 3 players you metion above and Fekir, but my point is that I wonder if Dembelle is actually the best fit for us. We were linked with him back when he was at Fulham, and we know that our interest is not a one window and done situation.

Honestly don't know, but he is 22, fast as hell and the top scorer in a side with about 200 million quid of other attacking talent we have been linked with. From a profile perspective he seems to fit what we all think we should be looking for. But I also dont think I agree that the question is a relevant one. Assuming we keep Origi, arent we looking to supplement him? Also, despite being primarily a striker, I am also assuming that given his pace he would be fine to play one of the wider roles given the way we play.
Ah ok, I’ve not watched any French football this season bar when a team in red smashed a team in blue! Do you think we’ve get an out and out striker until Klopp has seen Brewster in pre-season? Dembele is a pure no.9 talented yes but not sure what we need.

OmegaRed

I'd buy Mahrez, strengthen whilst weaken city. City may need to sell some players since FFP is coming back to bite them... If not Mahrez I'd get Sane. Sturridge can make way, Origi earnt another season I think.

jimbo

TIA Regular
We need cover for left back.
Depending on Lovren, wether he goes then another CB.
I think we have a great midfield. However with jordan and gini pushing forward more, also keita. We need to maybe bring in a neves type midfielder. Slick passing, good overall midfielder. Ox is quite injury prone, maybe a very good AM.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member

We could be in 7 competitions, key players won't have had a summer off, and if we're honest we only competed this season because we didn't suffer injuries to VVD, Robertson or the front three.

If the club does little in the market to address them this summer, for me that's a club that is focussing on profit and investment return.

Having lots of cover is kind of a false reassurance if they're not good enough to play regularly, which they might have to in the event of an injury.

We don't need 20 like for like players, but we need genuine competition for places in all areas, and genuine rotation options.

So if Klopp and the club don't agree with what you see as the issues we need to address then it's FSG focusing on profits and not on winning?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We need cover for left back.
Depending on Lovren, wether he goes then another CB.
I think we have a great midfield. However with jordan and gini pushing forward more, also keita. We need to maybe bring in a neves type midfielder. Slick passing, good overall midfielder. Ox is quite injury prone, maybe a very good AM.
Rumours we’ve agreed a deal for Lloyd Kelly, a left back who plays center back as well. Makes a lot of sense!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Equally dangerous to think buying players will get us the same or better outcome than this season. It is a gamble whenever you introduced a new player into the system and there aren't many that could trump this current group in their ability. Those that could would cost us the kind of money we may not have, even after the sale of players. Let's not forget we have Brewster and Oxlade to come in, and would be as good as new signing for me those two.
It takes a long time to assimilate players into this team. Took Fabinho at least 6 months. You could argue that Keita is still finding his feet. I doubt JK would want disruption for the sake of it. I feel that this is the group of lads who he thinks is going to win him the title and he won't want to mess with it too much.

We are really only short of some quality cover for the front 3. You can see us bringing in someone who could play there. A cheap back up option at full back, maybe a keeper if Mignolet goes. A CB but only if Lovren wants to leave. Otherwise, the squad is pretty much perfect. I doubt we'll be doing much business. Not remotely bothered about it either.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It takes a long time to assimilate players into this team. Took Fabinho at least 6 months. You could argue that Keita is still finding his feet. I doubt JK would want disruption for the sake of it. I feel that this is the group of lads who he thinks is going to win him the title and he won't want to mess with it too much.

We are really only short of some quality cover for the front 3. You can see us bringing in someone who could play there. A cheap back up option at full back, maybe a keeper if Mignolet goes. A CB but only if Lovren wants to leave. Otherwise, the squad is pretty much perfect. I doubt we'll be doing much business. Not remotely bothered about it either.
Yes backups are most likely our target which means we won’t be splashing crazy money this summer. That’s why I don’t expect and I hope fans don’t expect £100m of spending again. It all depends on departures and like I mentioned we still have Oxlade to come back on full fitness and the unknown entity of Brewster.

In each season you usually are able to find holes in the team to fill. This season I struggled to find fault with these bunch. Creative midfielder is nice to have but what about Oxlade and Keita? So I really don’t think fans should keep harping on buying but rather hoping to see current sets of players get better at their position. I would rather have some of our boys buy a new pair of shooting boots from range than a new player if it means they can now unleash that thunderbolt through keepers.

Flobs

FADA
It takes a long time to assimilate players into this team. Took Fabinho at least 6 months.
It was Klopp who kept Fabinho out for 6 months, he looked well fitted during preseason. We could have had him up and running in under 3 months imo.

You could argue that Keita is still finding his feet.
Yes and bizarrly Klopp rushed him into the side. Some niggles didn't help but overall wasn't able to take EPL intensity. (France is a much better place to find talent than Germany (just the attitude needs vetting)).

JK would want disruption for the sake of it.
Of course not then again it appears sometimes he likes a bit of disruption. :J

Flobs

FADA
Yes backups are most likely our target which means we won’t be splashing crazy money this summer. That’s why I don’t expect and I hope fans don’t expect £100m of spending again. It all depends on departures and like I mentioned we still have Oxlade to come back on full fitness and the unknown entity of Brewster.

In each season you usually are able to find holes in the team to fill. This season I struggled to find fault with these bunch. Creative midfielder is nice to have but what about Oxlade and Keita? So I really don’t think fans should keep harping on buying but rather hoping to see current sets of players get better at their position. I would rather have some of our boys buy a new pair of shooting boots from range than a new player if it means they can now unleash that thunderbolt through keepers.
With AOC and Gomez coming back it's like having 2 new players. Then there's Keita who hopfully can kick on and add something.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
At this point I do not anticipate big-money expenditures. I'd love to dream about having a dynamic AM, but it sounds to me that Klopp is focused on trying to increase squad depth. What is our sense of Harry Wilson? He seems to have had a good year at Derby County, but he's almost never mentioned as a long-term option for Klopp.

I anticipate that Rhian Brewster is going to get a fair opportunity to stick as a regular member of the forward rotation. Ox being back gives us another dynamic midfielder. Joe Gomez staying healthy will allow him to renew his partnership with VVD and allow Matip and Lovren to serve as backups.

My big questions are FB depth - I don't think I want to trust James Milner to offer coverage back there at his age - he was noticeably more challenged doing so this year than he was two years ago. Even with Fab and Joe Gomez with experience playing FB, I don't think it's the best use of their talent. Lloyd Kelly or Ryan Sessegnon would be a nice signing.

I'd also like to add another winger. I think Shaq and Origi are better when they play more centrally. I'd be intrigued by someone like Aouar or Weah. Sessegnon would be the best of both worlds because he can provide coverage for Robbo as well on the left.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Who follows French football closely? Monaco seem to have had an up and down season but have a young player called Benjamin Hendrichs who, on paper, seems to meet a lot of our requirements when it comes to being able to play both full back positions. I've seen a lot about him when he went to Monaco that made him sound perfect but not much recently.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

So we were lucky cos 5 of our players didn't get injured, 1/2 of our team, 50% of the 1st 11? On that reasoning you need a back up back up for the back up.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
- 'main signing' for about £40m
Steven Bergwijn or David Neres as our 4th main attacker.

- a 'bargain signing' like Shaqiri - don't know for which position.

- a 'Kevin Stewart signing' maybe Lloyd Kelly.

- a 'senior GK' if Mignolet wants out.

Think that's how it could look in the end and it wouldn't surprise me if we get more from sales than what we will spend.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So we were lucky cos 5 of our players didn't get injured, 1/2 of our team, 50% of the 1st 11? On that reasoning you need a back up back up for the back up.
He's saying none of them missed a significant run of games due to injury which does mean we landed on the lucky side of the coin. If any of those had missed a run of around 10 games it might have been a completely different season. We have fantastic squad depth in CM and it's now a huge strength in our side even though the players individually might not measure up to Alisson, VvD, Salah and the likes (although I believe Fabinho is on that level). We need the same (or at least approaching) that level of strength in depth throughout the side. Its not that ridiculous. We actually have the numbers it's just about improving the quality.