• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Brandt (25mln), Ziyech (25mln), LB & RB cover?, backup for Alisson if Mignolet leaves. Would be good for me.
Throw in Sessegnon and Alderweireld and you have improved the squad hugely for roughly 100mp.

zman89

Throw in Sessegnon and Alderweireld and you have improved the squad hugely for roughly 100mp.
I'm not convinced by Sessegnon but in theory he could cover the LB and LW spot and he's english so he would be perfect. Alderweireld is a tad old now and he would be looking for astronomical wages. Would be ok with him if he asked for reasonable wages though as 25 million is peanuts nowadays.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Dwight Mcneil is another who could probably do the left back/left wing thing. Don't think he's played at LB for Burnley yet but I don't see why he couldn't. He's a quality footballer.
Are the players at Burnley coming through their academy or from elsewhere as they seem to be finding several good players recently. We've been in awe of their keepers (bar Joe Hart) and they have that right back/winger who has done well since January, and now this lad you are telling us about!

Monument Mark

First we win the Champions League final. Then put in a world record offer for Mbappe. After PSG's 3-2 CL defeat at Anfield, for me, his body language was screaming - I'd Love To Be A Part Of What Jurgen Is Doing. Revolutionise football with the best ever front four in the Premier League. And win that title next season with those missing extra goals.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
First we win the Champions League final. Then put in a world record offer for Mbappe. After PSG's 3-2 CL defeat at Anfield, for me, his body language was screaming - I'd Love To Be A Part Of What Jurgen Is Doing. Revolutionise football with the best ever front four in the Premier League. And win that title next season with those missing extra goals.
I don't think Jürgen would endorse spending big money this summer transfer window and especially on a forward. I think this is a summer of cheaper transfers and not too many of them at that. Personally, I would be made up if we got our hands on Mbappe, but he's at the club he always wanted to be at, so can't see him wanting to leave any time soon.

Thomas1195

Are the players at Burnley coming through their academy or from elsewhere as they seem to be finding several good players recently. We've been in awe of their keepers (bar Joe Hart) and they have that right back/winger who has done well since January, and now this lad you are telling us about!
Burnley also has James Tarkowski - CB, who has quite impressive stats over the last season. Leicester already picked him as a replacement for Maguire, but we can raid him easily if we want.

Thomas1195

Dwight Mcneil is another who could probably do the left back/left wing thing. Don't think he's played at LB for Burnley yet but I don't see why he couldn't. He's a quality footballer.
Just check. Seems to be a good target.

I'm not convinced by Sessegnon but in theory he could cover the LB and LW spot and he's english so he would be perfect. Alderweireld is a tad old now and he would be looking for astronomical wages. Would be ok with him if he asked for reasonable wages though as 25 million is peanuts nowadays.
Fulham is demand £40m so let's skip him

RedForever2014

Can you please stop peddling utter lies. You are choosing your own specific's to push an agenda which is fundamentally wrong.

I will prove your statement wrong with 1 example.

City with Fernandinho win rate 74.1%
City without Fernandinho win rate 64.3%

"The manager’s assessment that the Brazilian is indispensable is supported by City’s results with and without the midfielder in the starting XI under Guardiola. Of the 14 league outings for which Fernandinho has been absent, City have won nine – a success rate of 64.3%. In 81 matches with him, City have recorded 60 victories, or 74.1%. After the defeat to Leicester Guardiola said: “It is not necessary to lose three games from four to say how important Fernandinho is to us. It is a specific position, we don’t have his qualities again. He is an incredible player.”

What does that tell you? Yes City has depth if they lose De Bruyne (Mahrez, Silva, Silva, Foden etc.) but not all over the park. Just like us. They had to play Stones at DM 1 game for example.

You use Van Dijk as an example every single team will have players that if they get injured the team will potentially suffer, every team. You cannot have a back up to Van Dijk who comes in and sees no drop in quality, it took us long enough to get him, imagine trying to get another.

Certain players simply cannot be replaced or backed up easily, thats the nature of some players and some positions. It's very easy to mask over an injury to a forward because you can adapt your formation accordingly. It's also completely unrealistic to think you can have top quality backup's in every department - I again used the example of Left Back for City which again you ignore. Mendy got injured and they played Delph ffs. Thats' not quality depth, thats using a flexible player to fill a void - We use Milner in exactly the same way.

You aren't realistic at all, and underneath it all screams of a poster who still has a beef with FSG and that underpins every single post into agenda driven nonsense sadly.
It's not realistic to expect that a club that has spent £90m net in three years, made record profits last year, and very clearly needs to improve the squad in defence and attack, replaces three players with three quality players in one summer?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
It's not realistic to expect that a club that has spent £90m net in three years, made record profits last year, and very clearly needs to improve the squad in defence and attack, replaces three players with three quality players in one summer?
What if Klopp counts Brewster and Chamberlain as two of those replacements? Is he wrong?

Not Worthy

The 'right' players, at whatever the recruitment team deem right, absolutely.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
What if Klopp counts Brewster and Chamberlain as two of those replacements? Is he wrong?
They were already part of the squad and Klopp would never (and didnt) sign someone just to replace an injured play. Promised Brewster a routeway into the team and Solanke and Ings moved on despite Origi coming back from loan. Brewster has a spot there already. Same with Ox who Klopp expected to return during the season so a place was left for him. Lallana will be replaced by Wilson I think as Wilson met the targets set for him. If Lovren or Matip leave they'll be replaced. If Mignolet leaves he'll be replaced. We might bring in a LB or versatile FB to replace Moreno and Clyne but I don't see us bringing in 2. A top class forward to replace Sturridge is my prediction for our main business.

lfc.8

Is Klopp always right?

Klopp has done extremely well to turn this club around and he deserves a lot of credit. Despite that the club still has not won a trophy. Hopefully in a few weeks that will change. Improvements to the team however are still needed.

The view that we'll have a quiet summer and perhaps sign a few backup type players is odd. It's not the time to sit still so to say. I don't envisage that happening however. Sign a few top quality players, such as another forward, a starting midfielder, plus a fullback and or centre back and we'll be closely there.

RedForever2014

Ah so those already here are new signings. I see.

The first team outfield squad is currently 20 players, including Oxlade, so he doesn't count unless the squad is currently 19.

TAA, Andy, Moreno, the four centre backs, the five midfielders, Oxlade/Lallana, the front three, Origi, Sturridge, Shaqiri. Clyne/Ings/Grujic excluded, as not currently here and most likely won't come back.

So we don't need cover for Andy/TAA, we're happy with three injury prone centre backs, and we don't need more proven quality players up front, as Origi and Shaqiri are definitely players you'd want playing week in week out if a forward gets an injury, when it takes 100 points to win the league.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

It's a sign of the times. Imagine the cry arsing now if one of our main signings was a young lad called Ian Rush from Chester.

Saying it was lucky half our best players at any one time didn't get an extended injury run is ridiculous. Anyone could say the same. City were lucky DE Bruyne, Sterling, Agüero, Silva and Ederson didn't have extended runs. Real Madrid were lucky to win 3 champion's league's on the trot because Ronaldo stayed fit.

And Salah and Firmino were injured for the most important game of the season so far but we managed.

Do you not think Klopp has his plan? It's one thing discussing and another to talk as if LFC will sit on their hands. Klopp himself has said we're at the beginning not the end of the journey. What possible justification does anyone have after looking at our progress and squad building to almost state with certainty that we will just stagnate?

Is Klopp always right?

Klopp has done extremely well to turn this club around and he deserves a lot of credit. Despite that the club still has not won a trophy. Hopefully in a few weeks that will change. Improvements to the team however are still needed.

The view that we'll have a quiet summer and perhaps sign a few backup type players is odd. It's not the time to sit still so to say. I don't envisage that happening however. Sign a few top quality players, such as another forward, a starting midfielder, plus a fullback and or centre back and we'll be closely there.
Pretty much so up to now yeah.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
They were already part of the squad and Klopp would never (and didnt) sign someone just to replace an injured play. Promised Brewster a routeway into the team and Solanke and Ings moved on despite Origi coming back from loan. Brewster has a spot there already. Same with Ox who Klopp expected to return during the season so a place was left for him. Lallana will be replaced by Wilson I think as Wilson met the targets set for him. If Lovren or Matip leave they'll be replaced. If Mignolet leaves he'll be replaced. We might bring in a LB or versatile FB to replace Moreno and Clyne but I don't see us bringing in 2. A top class forward to replace Sturridge is my prediction for our main business.
All of this is irrelevant. Chamberlain and Brewster have not been options this season, next season they will be.
Is Klopp always right?

Klopp has done extremely well to turn this club around and he deserves a lot of credit. Despite that the club still has not won a trophy.
That's an incredibly thin argument. Klopp's judgement so far has been impeccable and has saw us change from a club in decline to competing with the cheats down the m62.

What a way to downplay his work so far.
Ah so those already here are new signings. I see.

The first team outfield squad is currently 20 players, including Oxlade, so he doesn't count unless the squad is currently 19.
It's only you who is married to this '20' number, and you seem to arbitrarily decide who counts and who doesn't depending on whatever fits your agenda.

Truth is, if you were told two years ago the plan was to use a lad from relegated Hull and a teenager as our fullbacks you'd have posted the same rant 50 times over about a lack of ambition. You'd have been happier had we spunked 100 million on a pair of new fullbacks. And we'd have ended up with two lesser players.

Let's see how this window plays out. There's plenty of talent at the club already, not a lot needs to be done.

RedForever2014

Is Klopp always right?

Klopp is turning water into wine, and enough of it for that matter to get everyone merry. But sometimes you've got to buy some champagne to really get the party started, and buy enough so you don't run out at 11.59 on New Years Eve.

Klopp's wants a meaningful job above an easy one, he's a great manager who makes best use of what he has, he would rather run a club like LFC on limited resources than a club like City with unlimited resources, and he'll bring some success regardless.

But just as this season we leapt forward on the back of a healthy gross spend, we could leap even further with more quality additions.

He's built this squad for £90m on top of the players he inherited, a figure that has been averaged down by Coutinho and the sheer amount of players we had to sell.

No way is he adverse to spending big money on a player because he wants to find and develop unknowns. If that was the case he'd not have signed the players we did in 2018.

Nobody wants or expects City level spending. But we really need to add three quality players to replace Moreno, Sturridge and other probable leavers like Lallana.

We know Origi and Shaqiri's level, and no one - even Klopp - yet knows Brewster's.

The three of them being our forward back ups next season and not signing a quality forward, would in my opinion be a bad move if we want to ensure we compete even if Bobby, Mo or Mane get injured.

In summary, the money is there within FFP based on turnover and spend, Klopp has shown he will buy big ticket players, there is a clear need for another quality forward.

If we can get someone, or two, at a bargain price then great. Fekir and Brandt for £50m would be superb.

But we need to sign a quality forward and if we don't it will beg questions of the club's willingness to spend.

Even if Brewster is going to explode onto the scene next season, there is a strong argument for upgrading Shaqiri or Origi.

Personally, I would happily see Brewster as the prodigy, Origi as the tall but versatile 9, and a new quality forward as our front three backups.

Maybe Shaqiri can be then viewed as Lallana's replacement in attacking midfield.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Truth is, if you were told two years ago the plan was to use a lad from relegated Hull and a teenager as our fullbacks you'd have posted the same rant 50 times over about a lack of ambition. You'd have been happier had we spunked 100 million on a pair of new fullbacks. And we'd have ended up with two lesser players.
A teenager who isn't even a "natural RB" no less.

But
Klopp is turning water into wine, and enough of it for that matter to get everyone merry. But sometimes you've got to buy some champagne to really get the party started, and buy enough so you don't run out at 11.59 on New Years Eve.

Klopp's wants a meaningful job above an easy one, he's a great manager who makes best use of what he has, he would rather run a club like LFC on limited resources than a club like City with unlimited resources, and he'll bring some success regardless.

But just as this season we leapt forward on the back of a healthy gross spend, we could leap even further with more quality additions.

He's built this squad for £90m on top of the players he inherited, a figure that has been averaged down by Coutinho and the sheer amount of players we had to sell.

No way is he adverse to spending big money on a player because he wants to find and develop unknowns. If that was the case he'd not have signed the players we did in 2018.

Nobody wants or expects City level spending. But we really need to add three quality players to replace Moreno, Sturridge and other probable leavers like Lallana.

We know Origi and Shaqiri's level, and no one - even Klopp - yet knows Brewster's.

The three of them being our forward back ups next season and not signing a quality forward, would in my opinion be a bad move if we want to ensure we compete even if Bobby, Mo or Mane get injured.

In summary, the money is there within FFP based on turnover and spend, Klopp has shown he will buy big ticket players, there is a clear need for another quality forward.

If we can get someone, or two, at a bargain price then great. Fekir and Brandt for £50m would be superb.

But we need to sign a quality forward and if we don't it will beg questions of the club's willingness to spend.

Even if Brewster is going to explode onto the scene next season, there is a strong argument for upgrading Shaqiri or Origi.

Personally, I would happily see Brewster as the prodigy, Origi as the tall but versatile 9, and a new quality forward as our front three backups.

Maybe Shaqiri can be then viewed as Lallana's replacement in attacking midfield.
You are talking as if you and Klopp have sat down over a cup of tea and Klopp spilled the beans on all his plans for next season. Nobody knows what the plans are.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
No, it won't. This is precisely what I was getting at in asking the question.

Klopp and co have shown they will spend big money if they feel it's necessary. He has also shown he can buy cheap or use and improve those already here.

Nobody here knows whether Klopp will buy a player for the front 3. I'm guessing we'd all prefer that he does. But if it doesn't happen there is no need for an inquest, it'll be because he doesn't feel he has to and he has more than earned a little faith from us if that's what he believes.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
This is your problem, no-one has argued we do not need to strengthen, infact every single person I’ve seen on this forum pretty much agrees we need to strengthen in attack and defense as you say. We need more depth up front (or wide) and at the fullback positions.

The big problem (and why most people get massively frustrated with you) is all you look at is spend spend spend and if we don’t spend it’s all FSG’s fault and then go into silly conspiracy theories like they are skimming 30% off all commercial deals.

Why is this a problem? You ignore (I think Mascott has asked you about 20 times) the question/element which is.. what if the one who chooses not to spend is Klopp? What if Klopp (as ILLOK says) sees Oxlade and Brewster as the attacking options we need (rightly or wrongly). That’s where you look like you have an agenda as you continually say Klopp is achieving under duress, he is being hamstrung my the pench pinching FSG. Its simply not true.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
It's a sign of the times. Imagine the cry arsing now if one of our main signings was a young lad called Ian Rush from Chester.

Saying it was lucky half our best players at any one time didn't get an extended injury run is ridiculous. Anyone could say the same. City were lucky DE Bruyne, Sterling, Agüero, Silva and Ederson didn't have extended runs. Real Madrid were lucky to win 3 champion's league's on the trot because Ronaldo stayed fit.

And Salah and Firmino were injured for the most important game of the season so far but we managed.

Do you not think Klopp has his plan? It's one thing discussing and another to talk as if LFC will sit on their hands. Klopp himself has said we're at the beginning not the end of the journey. What possible justification does anyone have after looking at our progress and squad building to almost state with certainty that we will just stagnate?
I'm somewhat OK stagnating at 97 points. I think we'll win the league soon with that amount.

KYRed18

I've tried really hard not to take the bait, but sometimes RedForever you make it incredibly difficult.

You live in this world of fantasy football manager or Fifa dynasty mode where nothing in real life matters. "Quality replacement" has been thrown around a bunch. You want someone to replace Moreno, who will be a quality player (1st and foremost), but you neglect to account for all the other factors. Will this player be happy sitting 90% of the time, can this player push Robbo to be better, is he affordable, is he available, and will he disrupt the squad harmony that Klopp cares about? Money doesn't solve all your problems, look at PSG, United, etc etc.

The club has spent intelligently, however, the idea that the bottom line doesn't exist and the only thing that matters is the amount of money you throw in the market shows how out of touch you are with the modern game. Many may disagree with me, but these clubs are businesses and FSG will run it as such leveraging our strengths in a game where we have to compete with people who have no financial limits.

Yes we need to replace(either promote or buy) squad members who leave, but remember they have to leave first. Lallana may not leave, Origi isn't going to leave, clyne may not even leave. If these members do not leave, we won't replace them. Our squad is incredibly balanced right now, both personality wise and talent wise, and our strength as a club is our ability to buy smart rather than to just throw money at problems.

Personally, I love the way the club spends; intelligently, frugally, and most importantly sustainably.

Attackers:
Bobby, Mo, Mane, Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri, Wilson

Mids:
Gini, Hendo, Fab, Keita, Ox, Milly, Lallana, Grujic

Defense:
Robbo, Trent, Matip, Lovren, Gomez, Virgil, Clyne,

I count 22 squad players, more than your magical 20 number.

My point is we aren't in as dire circumstances as you make it seem.

Keepers:
Alisson, Migs(replacement), Youth

Lets remember Shaq and Origi (the lads who aren't quite up to quality for ya) are the ones who started in the 4-0 romping of Barcelona in a CL semi.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
"We need another attacker on the level of the front three. Not a centre forward. People are saying we need a striker, but I don't believe that.
"Another Mane type, maybe a bit younger and up and coming. People talk about the Ajax wide players, I don't know too much about them other than seeing them in the Champions League.
"But somebody who can play left, right and through the middle, who can move about. So you'd have four players going for three positions. And you'd still have Rhian Brewster coming through and Divock Origi.
"We don't need a striker because Mane and Salah can play up front, and Firmino is first choice."

Carra is 100% right!!!