Who would you buy?

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

Ok keeping on topic.

We have a minimum of five competitions next season (including the Community Shield match), possibly 7 (including Super Cup and World Club Cup).

We could easily find a title challenge derailed without quality depth.

IMO we need 20 usable senior outfield players.

If we are looking to really kick on and compete on all fronts, address our issues (over-reliance on certain players, injury prone centre backs, no genuine rotation at full back and up front), for me we'd be upgrading four players.

De Ligt (for Lovren), a versatile full back (for Moreno), an attacking midfielder (for Lallana) and a forward (for Sturridge).
With you it's like groundhog day. I'm continually reading the same post over and over again.
Derailed? What like the season we just had.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

I think we need left back cover, and an attacker.
Our midfield is excellent. And will get better. That post about mechanics and what the rest don't know jabber jabber from that chap who opened a new account. I'm assuming he knows he's in the don't know camp.

RedForever2014

With you it's like groundhog day. I'm continually reading the same post over and over again.
Derailed? What like the season we just had.
PL and CL, possible deeper runs into the domestic cups, one extra match in August, possibly two, a possible trip to Japan for the World Club Cup in December, just before the Xmas period.

A second summer in a row that Bobby, Mo and Mane won't get a full break. VVD won't either this year, as he did last year.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
PL and CL, possible deeper runs into the domestic cups, one extra match in August, possibly two, a possible trip to Japan for the World Club Cup in December, just before the Xmas period.

A second summer in a row that Bobby, Mo and Mane won't get a full break. VVD won't either this year, as he did last year.
The domestic cups depend entirely on the draws. Man Citeh’s dominance of them this year is less to do with their resources, and more that they played nobody of note and got the two easiest routes to the finals in living memory.

Give us fucking Newport County, Burton Albion etc on the run and I’d fancy us to win a cup as well.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
He also hasn't said what @JibJab says he has. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong about that.
As far as I know the only thing he's said is that he doesn't expect as big a window as last time - of course he could as easily be talking about numbers in/out as total money spent.

We might only sign two or three players, but nothing to say they won't come at a high price, particularly with the quality of the squad now meaning we're shopping at the top end of the market in order to improve it.

Last edited:

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
He also hasn't said what @JibJab says he has. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong about that.

"I don't want to talk exactly what we will do but I don't think this is a team at the moment where we have to spend the big money or whatever," Klopp said.

"The best way to do it is bring together a group of players, try to develop them altogether and then stay together for a while. And that was maybe the main problem of Liverpool for the last decade.

"When they had a good team after a season they went all over the world. That will not happen this year for sure."
Yes, he doesn't say it exactly as the headline indicates ("we don't have to" versus "we won't"), but I think the message is clear. I don't think FSG is going to force him to spend, nor do I think Edwards is going to insist on it. Klopp's needs will drive our activity this window, and it's clear that he doesn't expect huge expenditures this summer like a Havertz or De Ligt signing would require.

You can take it all with a grain of salt, as there is wisdom in that. But I believe Klopp when he says that he wants to develop his own players together and have them build a legacy together instead of dropping huge sums every window.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
There will have to be a few coming in.
Moreno, sturridge and Mingolet are 100% going so replacements are needed. Not amazing ones at LB or GK but we need another top notch forward. Can’t rely on Brewster whose never played for first team before.
Seen a few whispers Reina coming back as 2nd choice GK - that’d be no bad thing.
Lallana will go. Maybe Shaq as well.
So there will have to be players incoming.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Yes, he doesn't say it exactly as the headline indicates ("we don't have to" versus "we won't"), but I think the message is clear. I don't think FSG is going to force him to spend, nor do I think Edwards is going to insist on it. Klopp's needs will drive our activity this window, and it's clear that he doesn't expect huge expenditures this summer like a Havertz or De Ligt signing would require.

You can take it all with a grain of salt, as there is wisdom in that. But I believe Klopp when he says that he wants to develop his own players together and have them build a legacy together instead of dropping huge sums every window.
I disagree. You may be right but nothing in that article or any of Klopp's quotes on it that I've read rules out a single transfer for more than we paid for Van Dijk.

Last edited:

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I disagree. You may be right but nothing in that article or any of Klopp's quotes on it that I've read rules out a single transfer for more than we paid for Van Dijk.
And I didn't say that he ruled it out. I said that he does not expect it - which is precisely what we don't "have to spend big money" implies - a lack of expectation of big expenditures that a fee for Havertz or De Ligt would require. Or are you just being a pedant at this point?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
And I didn't say that he ruled it out. I said that he does not expect it - which is precisely what we don't "have to spend big money" implies - a lack of expectation of big expenditures that a fee for Havertz or De Ligt would require. Or are you just being a pedant at this point?
No, I think you're simply misunderstanding English. A lack of expectation of something doesn't require surprise if that thing happens.

A - No way will we spend big on a signing this summer > We spend big on a summer transfer = Shock!/Surprise!

B - We might spend big on a signing this summer > We spend big on a summer transfer = Sweet.

C - We'll definitely spend big on a summer signing > We don't spend big on a summer signing = Disappointment.

I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise. Or in other words, "B".

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I don't think FSG is going to force him to spend, nor do I think Edwards is going to insist on it. Klopp's needs will drive our activity this window, and it's clear that he doesn't expect huge expenditures this summer like a Havertz or De Ligt signing would require.
If Havertz was available for a price Klopp thought was reasonable I'm 100% sure he'd sign him tomorrow. We showed him around Melwood when he was 17 so we've had a massive interest for a very long time.

What Klopp won't do is be bullied into over paying. Let's not forget we only overpaid (at the time - now looks like a steal) for Van Dijk due to Werner and his big mouth.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
How much do you think our targets would cost if he said anything different than he did?

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
No, I think you're simply misunderstanding English. A lack of expectation of something doesn't require surprise if that thing happens.

A - No way will we spend big on a signing this summer > We spend big on a summer transfer = Shock!/Surprise!

B - We might spend big on a signing this summer > We spend big on a summer transfer = Sweet.

C - We'll definitely spend big on a summer signing > We don't spend big on a summer signing = Disappointment.

I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise. Or in other words, "B".
Once again, you're misattributing a statement in order to make a point that is irrelevant. I never said Klopp would be surprised. I said I would be surprised - for reasons I've subsequently explained that include, but are not limited to, Klopp's public statements about his lack of expectation that the club would spend big money this summer.

Your claim that we've broken previous transfer records are irrelevant. The 36.9m we spent on Salah two years ago has little to do with whether we're spending 100m+ on Havertz or De Ligt, and it borders on disingenuous to even bring it up, which leads me to believe that you're just having a go at me for no reason.

You don't agree with my belief that the club isn't going to spend 100M+ on De Ligt or Havertz? You have a different POV? Fine! No problem there. We're just speculating, after all. But don't treat me like I'm an idiot just for having a reasonably different sense of what we'll do this summer.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Once again, you're misattributing a statement in order to make a point that is irrelevant. I never said Klopp would be surprised. I said I would be surprised - for reasons I've subsequently explained that include, but are not limited to, Klopp's public statements about his lack of expectation that the club would spend big money this summer.

Your claim that we've broken previous transfer records are irrelevant. The 36.9m we spent on Salah two years ago has little to do with whether we're spending 100m+ on Havertz or De Ligt, and it borders on disingenuous to even bring it up, which leads me to believe that you're just having a go at me for no reason.

You don't agree with my belief that the club isn't going to spend 100M+ on De Ligt or Havertz? You have a different POV? Fine! No problem there. We're just speculating, after all. But don't treat me like I'm an idiot just for having a reasonably different sense of what we'll do this summer.
I think you have taken this too personally. I think all anyone has pointed out is they wouldn't be surprised by anything and that you may be reading more into Klopps statement than should be.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
If Havertz was available for a price Klopp thought was reasonable I'm 100% sure he'd sign him tomorrow. We showed him around Melwood when he was 17 so we've had a massive interest for a very long time.

What Klopp won't do is be bullied into over paying. Let's not forget we only overpaid (at the time - now looks like a steal) for Van Dijk due to Werner and his big mouth.
I'm sure he has interest in Havertz and De Ligt. I have zero doubt of that fact. The question is what he considers a reasonable fee and what he believes is a needed expenditure. Virgil was a 75M fee that was needed because our central defense was in shambles. Alisson was a needed expenditure of 67M because it was clear we absolutely needed a new keeper after Karius's collapse. Spending 100M on Havertz? I'd LOVE it, but Klopp has railed in the past against the notion of clubs buying solutions instead of developing talent and I really don't think he'll want to break the bank for him.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think you have taken this too personally. I think all anyone has pointed out is they wouldn't be surprised by anything and that you may be reading more into Klopps statement than should be.
Nothing wrong with taking what the manager said publicly as literal as @JibJab. He isn’t choosing what to believe and what not to believe with what Klopp said in public, good on him. Not necessary having an open day gang-up to put him down. He even provided quotes from the manager, and he’s not assuming anything. That to me is harder to argue than assuming Klopp is pissing about with the media and those things he said aren’t true.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I'm taking it personally because Kopstar started off by implying that it was foolish/illogical for me to be be surprised at the notion that they'd break the bank for De Ligt/Havertz because they've broken it in the past for Alisson/VVD etc etc. That kind of response is only designed to mock a person because he smart enough to know that our past expenditures on VVD/Alisson/etc have little to do with whether we're willing to spend 30-50% more on De Ligt or Havertz.

I don't mind disagreement or differing POVs because we're just having fun speculating about an intriguing window to come. But you can have a conversation without making a silly, disingenuous point designed to put someone else down.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Nothing wrong with taking what the manager said publicly as literal as @JibJab. He isn’t choosing what to believe and what not to believe with what Klopp said in publicly, good on him. Not necessarily having an open day gang-up to put him down. He even provided quotes from the manager, and he’s not assuming anything. That to me is harder to argue than assuming Klopp is pissing about with the media and those things he said aren’t true.
Nothing Klopp said would have been a lie even if we bought De Ligt and Mbappe this summer.