Who would you buy?

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

Of course they would, and klopp would have them in a heartbeat. Seriously, who do you think he'd turn away in favour of Milner and Henderson?

Keep a straight face while you type.

He's worked incredibly with what he's got, it doesn't means it's what he ultimately wants.
It's ridiculous to think a top class manager would hand pick those two to fill any role in a first choice midfield, from all of the talent in the world game.

He absolutely will have identified the lack of creativity and control in the midfield and he will know that of every area of our team, that's where we need more.

He will also know that this is the only area left where there's a big difference in strength between us and city
Yeah the midfield is so crap it's the last area of the team he's waited to fix.
Of course if your picking from the world pool of players you would have other players in there but we're not are we?
Henderson is so bad that a long list of managers/coaches continue to play him.

Mousecat

Yeah the midfield is so crap it's the last area of the team he's waited to fix.
Of course if your picking from the world pool of players you would have other players in there but we're not are we?
Henderson is so bad that a long list of managers/coaches continue to play him.
Hmm.. some dubious logic there.. and an exaggerated truth. A "Long list" ?

... Ok

Klopps only been here a short while, and when he came we had coutinho, arguably the best player of his type in world football, in such devastating form that the best team on the continent chose to break their transfer record to sign him. Engage your brain a bit buddy. And swerve the childishness.

And yes... Liverpool are now in a position where we very much are looking with some authority at all the players in the world... especially if we win the champions league.

This is a good thing btw. Embrace it

Hmm.. some dubious logic there.. and an exaggerated truth. A "Long list" ?

... Ok

Klopps only been here a short while, and when he came we had coutinho, arguably the best player of his type in world football, in such devastating form that the best team on the continent chose to break their transfer record to sign him. Engage your brain a bit buddy. And swerve the childishness.
Pot, kettle, black.

Mousecat

Spoken like someone who's never used induction technology.

Prepare for the future.

The upgrades are coming.....

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Rafa Guerrero
Recently thought about him, a year left on his deal. Though he didn't play LB a lot in recent times, was used more on the left of midfield or central midfield in his first season. Last season missed quite a bit through injury. Could be an option due to his quality, versatility and contract situation.

KYRed18

Liverpool:
Fab, Gini, Hendo, Milly, Ox, Keita, Lallana,

City:
Fernadino, B Silva, D Silva, KDB, Gundogan, Delph, Folden

Barcelona (Best team on continent***):
Busquets, Vidal, Arthur, Rakitic, Rafinha, Alena, Coutino

For OUR system, it's hard for me to believe that Klopp has not already shaped his midfield to be what he wants. I believe Keita is the long term replacement for milly, and maybe we see someone come in for Lallana if he wants to leave, but it is hard for me to stomach the fact that many here think this midfield isn't what Klopp visualizes it to be. Personally, I would only take 2 maybe 3 from the list (other teams) above, and that would be to eventually replace Milly and Lallana. They may not be the most "technically" gifted midfield in the world, but I would bet money they are the most disciplined.

I agree with @ILLOK. An addition can improve, but I don't think the situation is as dire as @Mousecat makes it out to be. Mind you, Gini and Hendo have played the most amount of games in MF the last 3 years. 2 CL finals and averaging 83 points a season in the PL.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Killjoy Pearce at his best yet again
Bonfire pisser said anything about Havertz, Sanchez, Brandt, etc?
What we should do is buy Kai Havertz and just loan him back for 1 year then when Milners contract ends bring Havertz in or when Lallana leaves
That loan option didn't work out for Keita properly. And that didn't work out for Pulisic either.
And sometimes Klopp takes half a season to introduce a player.
So it's better to keep the player here, rather than keeping him on loan somewhere else.

Mousecat

Since Fabinho has settled and Henderson moved forward our midfield has been excellent, not lacking in creativity or control in the slightest.
"Not lacking in the slightest" is very close or the same as saying we can't improve.

If theres nothing we lack, even slightly, then what we've got is as good as it gets.

Henderson isn't anywhere near as bad as he looks in the deeper role where more on the functionality of the team revolves around him, but that he looks better in the advanced role doesn't mean he's good enough. He's better yes, but not the standard we should be looking at.

In a nutshell, are you saying there aren't players who are a significant upgrade on Henderson in that role?

It took a long time for a lot of our fans to realise he wasnt good enough for the midfield role. This seems like groundhog day.

I never said we can't or shouldn't upgrade. I subscribe to Paisley's ideas:
A player isn't finished when he leaves Liverpool, he's just finished at Liverpool. And, I believe in letting a player's legs grow old on someone else's pitch.
That said our midfield is no way the state claptrap I mean Mousecat is making it out to be.

Flobs

FADA
"Not lacking in the slightest" is very close or the same as saying we can't improve.

If theres nothing we lack, even slightly, then what we've got is as good as it gets.

Henderson isn't anywhere near as bad as he looks in the deeper role where more on the functionality of the team revolves around him, but that he looks better in the advanced role doesn't mean he's good enough. He's better yes, but not the standard we should be looking at.

In a nutshell, are you saying there aren't players who are a significant upgrade on Henderson in that role?

It took a long time for a lot of our fans to realise he wasnt good enough for the midfield role. This seems like groundhog day.
There are very few players who would be a slight up grade on Henderson!
Please do list the players who you think would be a significant upgrade on Henderson. Just so that I can have a laugh.

Mousecat

I don't think the situation is as dire as @Mousecat makes it out to be.
It's not dire. It's got huge potential. But we've got the issue of a potentially career threatening injury and a largely unknown commodity, albeit one with big big potential.. making up 2 out of the 4 players you're saying are klopps grand plan.

I think keita, fabinho, ox, and gini, all playing at full potential, is pretty much as good as anything out there. I think its a midfield with fantastic potential. But... we haven't had it this season and there's been nobody in reserve to rotate who bring in nearly the same qualities. The work rate of Henderson and Milner is so great that they give us at least a good enough foundation for other players to win us games. They don't give us the ability to either win or control play themselves.

There are games this season we absolutely had to grind out.. where we showed other abilities to win games. But you can't rely on those things long term. The law of averages dictates in the end and when city won by a close score, they had almost compete control of possession. When we won close, often timed it really could have gone the other way. The nature of our games in that ruin in was certainly not the same. 1 point might have separated us, but if we crossed the line 1 second behind them in a race, then they had gears to spare and we were flat out.

What we did this season was monumental. It really shouldn't have been this close. But that was due to a reliance on other things than our technique and control of situations. We fought like champions and really if not for city's money we'd be champs. No doubt. But that's reason why the situation is anything but direin my mind. If we can do what we did, with there still being major room for improvement in our midfield, then there's potential for this Liverpool team to break records in the future.

Mousecat

There are very few players who would be a slight up grade on Henderson!
Please do list the players who you think would be a significant upgrade on Henderson. Just so that I can have a laugh.
??

What do you mean? You don't think we can upgrade Henderson?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Groundhog day?

I guess some of you will try to create some drama where there is none. It's a boring time right now, in fairness.

Good enough for what? I've aired my doubts about Henderson plenty of times but when I saw him steaming around the pitch against Barca on one leg, dominating the likes of Rakitic and Vidal I can't say those doubts were at the forefront of my mind.

There are better players out there in that role, though I suspect fewer than you believe (for us). He's got 5 assists in his 10 games in that role recently and has impressed with the way he's led the side. If he can continue this level he's an asset, not a hinderance. He's a well rounded player in the box to box role - tracks back, puts his foot in, contributes at the top end of the pitch and works as hard as anybody else. Not a flashy player but the midfield just works with him in that role.

If our midfield was as troublesome as you're trying to make out we must be very lucky to get 97 points and make it to the CL final. Some criticisms and discussions are there to be had but let's keep them in perspective.

P.s. as for the pedantry about the "not lacking in the slightest comment", we've scored 27 in our last 10, beating the likes of Chelsea, Barca, Porto, Wolves. Only game we failed to score in was Barca away, a game we created plenty of chances in. There genuinely hasn't been much room for improvement in those performances.

Last edited:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

Welcome back chicagored.:wave:
Hope you have been doing well during your hiatus.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
And I'd agree with you. You can see glimpses of it when the right players are together. But... how often has it been and is it reliable?

Those players you named are perfect for their positions, but that's it. There's a big drop off in quality and no ability to rotate without a major compromise
Jordan Henderson told me to tell you he wants a word.

Mousecat

My main point is being twisted a lot.

The midfield isn't troublesome, or dire..

It's hard working, incredibly energetic, very difficult to play against. I've got no reservations in our abilities in that sense and you can throw Milner in with Henderson too in that regard. They're both good enough and then some for those things.

But when it comes to controlling possession, and general technique, let's just say this side of their game isn't as strong as the other.

The game isn't always the same. Within 90 minutes we might be playing to control, or we might be playing to chase.

When it comes to controlling possession, we don't do it well and klopp has alluded to it plenty of times.

And really this is something you've got to face in the modern game. The likes of Bernardo Silva and de bruyne will chase and hustle as hard as anyone, AND have world class technique to go with it. That's the barometer in the league right now, fortunately for us.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
My take on the midfield is that I don’t think there is much we need to do, especially if we want to be able to switch between a 433 and a 4231.

We need a Defensive Midfielder. That’s Fabinho, and he is as good as anyone out there.

We need two ball carrying midfielders. That’s Keita and Ox, and they are as good as anyone out there. They can also play further forward.

We need two creative attacking midfielders, and we only have one in Shaqiri. We need to get another one, and a really good one at that. They can also play further forward.

We need two good all rounders - lads who can do a bit of everything. They can cover the deep position, they can do the ball carrying role or play a bit of attacking midfield. They are not going to be the world’s best at any of that, but their strength is their versatility. That’s Henderson and Wijnaldum.

That gives us seven players for (usually) three positions, fantastic balance (esp if the tbc attacking mid is predominantly left sided).

If that’s our midfield, then I don’t think there is much to do to improve on it. It’s as good as it gets.

Mousecat

P.s. as for the pedantry about the "not lacking in the slightest comment"
It's not pedantry to ask you to qualify the main point of your post.

And in regards to what he lacks, I've already told you. Technique, IQ and shooting ability.

Maybe they're not that important to you, or you think in this day and age, regardless of the evidence to the contrary, that it's an either or choice between attribute, like were choosing between him and Dimitar berbatov. In which case fine, lets agree to disagree. In the end klopp will decide if Henderson's a long term first teamed or not. And thats good enough for me, because so far everything he's done had been spot on

Mousecat

My take on the midfield is that I don’t think there is much we need to do, especially if we want to be able to switch between a 433 and a 4231.

We need a Defensive Midfielder. That’s Fabinho, and he is as good as anyone out there.

We need two ball carrying midfielders. That’s Keita and Ox, and they are as good as anyone out there. They can also play further forward.

We need two creative attacking midfielders, and we only have one in Shaqiri. We need to get another one, and a really good one at that. They can also play further forward.

We need two good all rounders - lads who can do a bit of everything. They can cover the deep position, they can do the ball carrying role or play a bit of attacking midfield. They are not going to be the world’s best at any of that, but their strength is their versatility. That’s Henderson and Wijnaldum.

That gives us seven players for (usually) three positions, fantastic balance (esp if the tbc attacking mid is predominantly left sided).

If that’s our midfield, then I don’t think there is much to do to improve on it. It’s as good as it gets.
True. On the condition that Chamberlain and keitas fitness can be relied on long term.

Big jump that. From this point anyway.

KYRed18

It's not dire. It's got huge potential. But we've got the issue of a potentially career threatening injury and a largely unknown commodity, albeit one with big big potential.. making up 2 out of the 4 players you're saying are klopps grand plan.

I think keita, fabinho, ox, and gini, all playing at full potential, is pretty much as good as anything out there. I think its a midfield with fantastic potential. But... we haven't had it this season and there's been nobody in reserve to rotate who bring in nearly the same qualities. The work rate of Henderson and Milner is so great that they give us at least a good enough foundation for other players to win us games. They don't give us the ability to either win or control play themselves.

There are games this season we absolutely had to grind out.. where we showed other abilities to win games. But you can't rely on those things long term. The law of averages dictates in the end and when city won by a close score, they had almost compete control of possession. When we won close, often timed it really could have gone the other way. The nature of our games in that ruin in was certainly not the same. 1 point might have separated us, but if we crossed the line 1 second behind them in a race, then they had gears to spare and we were flat out.

What we did this season was monumental. It really shouldn't have been this close. But that was due to a reliance on other things than our technique and control of situations. We fought like champions and really if not for city's money we'd be champs. No doubt. But that's reason why the situation is anything but direin my mind. If we can do what we did, with there still being major room for improvement in our midfield, then there's potential for this Liverpool team to break records in the future.

You and RedForever must be close friends outside of the forum. You don't lead the league in clean sheets by "not being in control." We averaged 60% possession this year in the PL versus City averaging 65%. That comes out to 4.5 minutes a game or 171 minutes a year. We averaged 8.1 shots against per game (1 shot every 6.67 minutes the other team had possession) they averaged 6.3 (1 per 9.3 minutes the other team had possession). What I am getting at here is even if we had "City's complete control" we'd only face 1 less shot per game. Additionally, Alisson had 18 more saves than Ederson this year, meaning he had an extra save every other game, which still doesn't add up to us being less in control (If Alisson had to save an extra shot per game over Ederson then I could see the point.)

Bottom line, the problem is more rhetoric induced rather than factually based.

Last edited:

Mousecat

Doubt we'd risk it.

World class technical midfielder will be on our shopping list this summer. Got to be.