• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Honestly, I WOULD be shocked if we bought De Ligt. It just seems like the sort of luxery purchase we are still 2-3 good windows away from being in the position to pursue.
Yes, exactly. That seems much more like something I'd expect Real Madrid or Barca or Bayern or City/United to do.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Its one thing fawning over some of the available young CBs in the world right now, but without an exit or definitive prediction on Gomez's future injury prospects, I really dont think we'll be acquiring a new CB this summer. If anything, Lovren would probably have to leave before we go out into the market. Pretty sure Matip is safe after his stunning displays in the latter parts of the season. Deserves a pay rise actually. For sure the club would have eyes on some replacements, but we are flush for CBs right now, and unless their hand is forced, its likely we are concentrating on a striker, winger, possibly a 10, and full back cover, especially left.

Red over the water

I think we have other priorities higher than central defence, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we signed De Ligt. I forget which poster it was, but they made a good point earlier about the timing of signing players, as sometimes you do it because the chance might not come around again. They also made the point about signing players with the added benefit of hindering your rivals. That was a good point.

If we sign De Ligt then first and foremost it has to be because we see how he will help us for years to come. But beyond that, I will be very happy to not see him in the middle of Man City’s defence helping to fill a Kompany shaped hole, or in the middle of Man Utd’s defence helping them to climb back to a title challenging team.

The other part of this is the word “shock” itself. It might be getting into semantics, but very few things in football have the ability to shock me. If we sign Mbappe this summer I will be shocked by that. If we sign De Ligt I will nod my head and see the thinking behind the decision, even if it wasn’t perhaps what I would have done.

XMarlin

I think that whoever we decide to sign, (and the two most important signings should be backups for Robbo at left back and for Mo/Sadio/Mane up front)...it is most important that they be "Liverpool" players...ideally clones of Milner...willing to play anywhere on the pitch if asked, and willing to give 150% effort as a starter or as a back up.

Somewhere those two or three key players are just waiting for the opportunity to be a part of the squad

moodle

I think that whoever we decide to sign, (and the two most important signings should be backups for Robbo at left back and for Mo/Sadio/Mane up front)

I can't get on board with this. With the idea that we need backup to world class before we need world class first team. It's mental.

The question here is, when you review the season we just had, which area of the team looked like we needed more from it?

Our defence was the best in the league, our strikers shared the golden boot... our fullbacks contributed assists in record numbers.

Our midfield struggled to create and to transition the ball through midfield. In many instances we completely bypassed it. Towards the end of the season, when Fabinho settled and Keita started playing, it began to look like the pieces were coming together. But... when the gap between the first choice and backup players is so stark in terms of technique and creativity, that it significantly alters our ability to control and create, it's absolutely a priority to make sure that isn't the case next season.

The basic purpose of the defence is to defend. Joel Matip did that and then raised us some good quality forward runs and overall quality contribution. That's the type of cover where the fundamental role isn't compromised.

Now I know the role of Henderson and Milner is a contentious point because of the work they put in, but my mind's made up regarding what's needed as a basic requirement in that role, and whether they can provide it. Now I can definitely concede that we can make do with one of them at one time in the middle as cover or sub, or in Milner's case a utility player who can cover a load of positions, but we can't go into next season with even the possibility, barring an injury catastrophe, that the two of them might be needed to start any number of games together in the same midfield.

It destroys our ability to play football through the middle of the pitch at the highest level. they're just not capable of doing it and it puts a heavy burden on other areas to compensate. I think Klopp truly came to the point where his relationship with these two as his limited but dependables was over, during the second Spurs game of the season.

A quality midfield also takes a large part of the stress off other areas of the team and unlocks it's full potential. City's defensive record is so good is because of the control they have over midfield, without having a monster like Van Dijk at the back.

We will definitely prioritise that area of the pitch. So far Klopp has done everything I've thought he would. I'm sure he's long since identified our inability to control games as the single biggest weakness of an otherwise amazing team. He WILL sign someone of top quality to play there, The question only is who.

I'd guess someone who can rotate with wide forward and creative mid.

Last edited:

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
[...]

We will definitely prioritise that area of the pitch. So far Klopp has done everything I've thought he would. I'm sure he's long since identified our inability to control games as the single biggest weakness of an otherwise amazing team. He WILL sign someone of top quality to play there, The question only is who.
[...]
Fabinho, Naby Keïta, and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I would also politely suggest that better control of matches is one of the major differences between 17/18 and 18/19.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

I can't get on board with this. With the idea that we need backup to world class before we need world class first team. It's mental.

The question here is, when you review the season we just had, which area of the team looked like we needed more from it?

Our defence was the best in the league, our strikers shared the golden boot... our fullbacks contributed assists in record numbers.

Our midfield struggled to create and to transition the ball through midfield. In many instances we completely bypassed it. Towards the end of the season, when Fabinho settled and Keita started playing, it began to look like the pieces were coming together. But... when the gap between the first choice and backup players is so stark in terms of technique and creativity, that it significantly alters our ability to control and create, it's absolutely a priority to make sure that isn't the case next season.

The basic purpose of the defence is to defend. Joel Matip did that and then raised us some good quality forward runs and overall quality contribution. That's the type of cover where the fundamental role isn't compromised.

Now I know the role of Henderson and Milner is a contentious point because of the work they put in, but my mind's made up regarding what's needed as a basic requirement in that role, and whether they can provide it. Now I can definitely concede that we can make do with one of them at one time in the middle as cover or sub, or in Milner's case a utility player who can cover a load of positions, but we can't go into next season with even the possibility, barring an injury catastrophe, that the two of them might be needed to start any number of games together in the same midfield.

It destroys our ability to play football through the middle of the pitch at the highest level. they're just not capable of doing it and it puts a heavy burden on other areas to compensate. I think Klopp truly came to the point where his relationship with these two as his limited but dependables was over, during the second Spurs game of the season.

A quality midfield also takes a large part of the stress off other areas of the team and unlocks it's full potential. City's defensive record is so good is because of the control they have over midfield, without having a monster like Van Dijk at the back.

I'd guess someone who can rotate with wide forward and creative mid.
Your mind isn't important it's Klopp's mind that counts.
Milner's 33 so obviously he'll be getting phased out, that's why Keita etc was bought.
You don't concede the lowest goals total without control.
The work the midfield puts in allows the creativity to come from elsewhere.
Put politely there's a lot of tosh in this post.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The midfield unit performs the tasks Klopp wants done at world class levels now.

If you rate them on doing tasks Klopp isn't asking them to do then of course they will look bad.

Comparing them to City's midfield is not a correct comparison. City play either a holding mid or a box to box mid in front of their defence and then 2 out and out attacking mids. They go for a Rodgers style "best form of defence is offence"! As such they will get more creative control, goals and chances from midfield. But guess what? Despite being so much more focused on attack they only managed 6 goals and 1 point more. That's with 9 elite level talents and a great prospect (Foden) for their 5 most attacking positions on the pitch.

We hold our own despite not having good depth and rotation/cover for our attack but we don't set up our side like City do. They achieve their set up completely different and our midfield wouldn't work with the rest of their side and theirs wouldn't work in our side.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Yep. By you. For saying Brendan Rodgers ' teeth were very white. For 48hrs you said...

Few years ago now... :D

Mousecat was the username buddy.. could u reactivate it for us? Ta
Not what you were banned for lol But anyway, I’ve tried to remove your warnings, (which should have automatically reactivated your account after two days). And the account is still banned - I don’t think the software likes you.

@ubermick @Nikola @Hope in your heart could you have a look?

Mascot88

Admin

Mascot88

Admin
:rolleyes:

The fact that you took that as the "moral of the story" is a reflection of a combination of the disingenuity and lack of careful reading that you've demonstrated this discussion from the very beginning. I have had an engaging back-and-forth on this topic with other posters without a problem. But your approach to this discussion, coupled with that silly poem, only confirms my suspicions that you're not interested in having a respectful dialogue and more interested in taking the piss out of me. :wave:
There have been about four points in this boring and off topic argument when a natural conclusion had been reached and you could have chosen to not reply.

Let’s have no more of this bickering now please.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Flobs

FADA
The domestic cups depend entirely on the draws. Man Citeh’s dominance of them this year is less to do with their resources, and more that they played nobody of note and got the two easiest routes to the finals in living memory.

Give us fucking Newport County, Burton Albion etc on the run and I’d fancy us to win a cup as well.
We got knocked out of the cups by nobodies! :J

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
And pointlessly.

Quite a few people, by the look of it. Anyone would think we had a massive game in just over a week and we’re all shitting ourselves about it...
I can confirm said shitting is occurring! Watching back how we lost v's Real I actually cannot believe we were that unlucky. This forum doesn't do well without a game per week, too much time to procrastinate!

jackh1092

I would also politely suggest that better control of matches is one of the major differences between 17/18 and 18/19.
Ox is a big Brucie bonus. However, we can't be certain he'll bounce back to the level he was at immediately. He also still might suffer more injuries, and considering he was often injury prone at Arsenal, it's more than a guess that this might happen. Hopefully it won't.
I wouldn't be against us signing a further creative player, for games where we are at home and we don't need Fab+ Wij for example. Fekir being very close last year suggests it has been considered too.

Your mind isn't important it's Klopp's mind that counts.
Milner's 33 so obviously he'll be getting phased out, that's why Keita etc was bought.
You don't concede the lowest goals total without control.
The work the midfield puts in allows the creativity to come from elsewhere.
Put politely there's a lot of tosh in this post.
Absolutely agree- but what happens next season now that our full backs have received so much media? Teams will look to block that supply. That will mean space for the CMs probably, Keita, Henderson + Ox would be my first choices to break into those spaces, however, with Lallana a possible to be out the door i think we would be wise to get one more in.

It's very difficult for us to get the type of midfielders we need so perhaps it'll not happen. Just think we need to be ready for everything next year.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
What about Philipp Max as someone who could offer cover for Robertson and also versatile to add depth elsewhere? Would probably cost around £20m?

I know nothing of him but transfermarkt suggested as a comparable player to Nico Schulz (who I was prompted to look at by the post in the summer transfer thread).

LFCFFC

What about Philipp Max as someone who could offer cover for Robertson and also versatile to add depth elsewhere? Would probably cost around £20m?

I know nothing of him but transfermarkt suggested as a comparable player to Nico Schulz (who I was prompted to look at by the post in the summer transfer thread).
A quick google tells me he already has two "Welcome to Manchester United" videos on Youtube, so I'd be all for signing him purely on that basis.

He also recorded 13 assists last season in the Bundesliga last season, which would suggest he poses a pretty potent left boot. Although he did drop back to only 2 this season.

I'm sure our German forum members will be able to elaborate more, but on paper he seems like the exact kind of signing we'd be likely to make.

Cologne-Liverpool

I'd have no problems with Max personally. Solid player, good attitude from what I've seen of him.
The difference in assists to the previous season might have more to do with the shift to a more defensive system Augsburg (had to) do this season.
Could be a decent backup imo.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I'd have no problems with Max personally. Solid player, good attitude from what I've seen of him.
The difference in assists to the previous season might have more to do with the shift to a more defensive system Augsburg (had to) do this season.
Could be a decent backup imo.
Is he quick? Do you think he would have the stamina needed of our full-backs to get up and down for pretty much the whole 90 minutes?

Mousecat

And I'd agree with you. You can see glimpses of it when the right players are together. But... how often has it been and is it reliable?

Those players you named are perfect for their positions, but that's it. There's a big drop off in quality and no ability to rotate without a major compromise

Cologne-Liverpool

Is he quick? Do you think he would have the stamina needed of our full-backs to get up and down for pretty much the whole 90 minutes?
He's not exactly a speed merchant. As far as stamina - it's so hard to tell, because the way Augsburg plays and the way we play is so massively different, no idea if he could cope with that tbh.
Anway, not sure how likely this is...are there any rumours or are you just asking out of interest?

Mousecat

.... and theirs wouldn't work in our side.
Of course they would, and klopp would have them in a heartbeat. Seriously, who do you think he'd turn away in favour of Milner and Henderson?

Keep a straight face while you type.

He's worked incredibly with what he's got, it doesn't means it's what he ultimately wants.
It's ridiculous to think a top class manager would hand pick those two to fill any role in a first choice midfield, from all of the talent in the world game.

He absolutely will have identified the lack of creativity and control in the midfield and he will know that of every area of our team, that's where we need more.

He will also know that this is the only area left where there's a big difference in strength between us and city

Kopstar

★★★★★★
He's not exactly a speed merchant. As far as stamina - it's so hard to tell, because the way Augsburg plays and the way we play is so massively different, no idea if he could cope with that tbh.
Anway, not sure how likely this is...are there any rumours or are you just asking out of interest?
Yeah, just out of interest (hence this thread rather than the rumour one) - I vaguely remember the name from a few years back but was prompted to look at him when I was looking at Nico Schulz's transfermarkt profile. Max appears to be fairly versatile, doesn't have a chequered injury history and contributes good numbers re goals+assists. He's also a good age.

One thing I queried was his lack of international caps - I thought maybe his stats were misleading about his quality?

Thanks for the response though - as I say, I know nothing about him!

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

Of course they would, and klopp would have them in a heartbeat. Seriously, who do you think he'd turn away in favour of Milner and Henderson?

Keep a straight face while you type.

He's worked incredibly with what he's got, it doesn't means it's what he ultimately wants.
It's ridiculous to think a top class manager would hand pick those two to fill any role in a first choice midfield, from all of the talent in the world game.

He absolutely will have identified the lack of creativity and control in the midfield and he will know that of every area of our team, that's where we need more.

He will also know that this is the only area left where there's a big difference in strength between us and city
Yeah the midfield is so crap it's the last area of the team he's waited to fix.
Of course if your picking from the world pool of players you would have other players in there but we're not are we?
Henderson is so bad that a long list of managers/coaches continue to play him.

Mousecat

Yeah the midfield is so crap it's the last area of the team he's waited to fix.
Of course if your picking from the world pool of players you would have other players in there but we're not are we?
Henderson is so bad that a long list of managers/coaches continue to play him.
Hmm.. some dubious logic there.. and an exaggerated truth. A "Long list" ?

... Ok

Klopps only been here a short while, and when he came we had coutinho, arguably the best player of his type in world football, in such devastating form that the best team on the continent chose to break their transfer record to sign him. Engage your brain a bit buddy. And swerve the childishness.

And yes... Liverpool are now in a position where we very much are looking with some authority at all the players in the world... especially if we win the champions league.

This is a good thing btw. Embrace it