• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
According to Transfermarkt Lovren has had 9 seperate injuries since joining us in 2014, which resulted in him missing 34 games.

Joel Matip has had 6 injuries; this resulted in him missing 40 games, since he joined in 2016. (Transfermarkt)

Joe Gomez has missed 97 games over the last three seasons (Transfermarkt) . But I'd still rather have Joe than Dejan.

All of which adds up to a fair number of games lost due to injury - against Brighton VVD was our only fit centre-back, and had to be partnered by Fabinho.

So, I think another centre-back would make a great deal of sense.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Bigger shock is how the hell Skrtel managed a to survive almost a decade here. As for Lovren, he only had 1 senior career season with 40+ games in all competitions. Needs to go, either next summer, or this summer. I will fall into depression if he gets a new deal. He will never be a mature player even if he's heading into his 30's and honestly for a brave heart physical type of CB (who is technically okay), he's too often out. Plus, his wages. I've had enough, I don't want players from the Balkans anymore (just joking of course, that's the fan in me speaking even if I'm from that area, I just hope we change our guy for this part of Europe because there's quality stuff here)! However I don't think CB will be a priority for us. More like if the market presents a good enough opportunity for us to say "yeah, there's a quality partner for Virgil so let's cash in on Dejan right now".

Mousecat

Both get a hug and neither of them leaves
Ideal world scenarios. What we all want isn't it.

Truth is, there's a different level of expectation regarding ambition, depending on the position on the pitch.

If you're a backup goalkeeper, you better be happy with the league and fa cup games.

Centre back... Be ok with waiting for an injury.

Midfield and attack, and you be part of a rotation and still get plenty of important games on a regular basis.

Not Worthy

Ideal world scenarios. What we all want isn't it.

Truth is, there's a different level of expectation regarding ambition, depending on the position on the pitch.

If you're a backup goalkeeper, you better be happy with the league and fa cup games.

Centre back... Be ok with waiting for an injury.

Midfield and attack, and you be part of a rotation and still get plenty of important games on a regular basis.
True for the keeper.

CB, mostly but in need of dependable protection/back-up if you go deep into competitions.

As we play now, FB and specifically LB, is the point of weakness. Almost equally, a strong foward capable of multiple roles.

For the first time in a while, I think we have depth in midfield based on our preferred mix of set-up. So, I disagree with you on that.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
You don't play at Lovrens level without being half decent. If Moreno was half decent we wouldn't be looking for half decent cover for Robertson
The only thing I remember Lovren doing, and doing well, was scoring that last minute winner against Dortmund. Sadly, he doesn't do enough Dortmunds, so I would like to see him gone and someone decent brought in to take his place.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I dont think the analogy is a good one. I dont know how many people had watched Robbo, and so most of the criticisms were based on the idea that we should be aiming higher than a player "no one has heard of" from a relegated team. They were not based on a rationale judgement of his ability. FWIW, as soon as the links were made I was fully on board. My issue with De Ligt is the 5 or 6 times I have seen him this season I do not see the player other people seem to think they are seeing.
I remember when SK Warne made his debut for Aussie.

His grade cricket numbers weren’t off the chart, and his debut was....errr....

But those in the game were just saying ‘look out, this kid is special’

It’s probably not so much what you are seeing on game day, but what is happening off the park that has alerted the elite clubs of Europe.

Having said that, I’ve personally seen fuck all of him.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Guerreiro is a decent shout, my only worry with him would be his fitness record (Transfermarkt says that he has missed fifty games since he joined Dortmund). I like him a lot as a player, though, nice technical ability and he's able to play as both a left back and a central midfielder, just like Klopp likes it.

As for the backup 'keeper, Adrian really isn't a bad shout if Mignolet leaves, in my opinion, he was pretty decent when he was starting for West Ham.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Re Lovren read something quite surprising today - apparently in his entire time at the club, he has never managed 10 consecutive games for us. That's quite incredible given he joined in 2014 and for most of that period was first-choice (it was in the Echo and I haven't fact-checked, stand to be corrected).

I get that people say in terms of quality, as a fourth-choice CB there are probably few better in the league. However, for any backup it's essential they be reliable - it's no good if every time you need to call on them they're also out injured.

I'd have replaced him anyway as I'd like to replace him with a better player, and now I know that about him I'd also replace on the basis that an unreliable backup is of limited use. Throw in the decent pot we could get from his sale and it just makes more sense than not imo.
I thought it was 5 or 7, at least that was the figure doing the rounds before Christmas.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

GaryBarlow99

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Given that Neil Jones, a reliable journo, has linked us to at least two players for whom we don't have a thread, shouldn't someone start them? @Nikola

If the consensus is that we don't want them, I'll do the honours.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
It's all fine and well those saying that as a fourth choice centre back he's fine, but people aren't thinking about it from the other angle - this is a guy who said in an interview a year ago that people needed to recognize that he's one of the best defenders in the world. Now, in videos and whatnot he seems like a goofy fella, so it could be he was deadpanning it for the cameras and maybe secretly winning a bet off the lads back in Melwood who said they'd give him £5k if he said it in an interview - but on the off chance he believes the hype, would he be happy staying here and being that far down the pecking order?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Adrian, Chuckweeze and a young back up LB like Lloyd Kelly. What a shite window that would be.
A shite window would be losing one of our important players.

Anything else will be sound.

I like Adrian, very decent keeper. Would prefer Reina for the sentimentality aspect, though.

No idea who this Chuckwueze is but we seem to do okay with our African signings.

I like the fact the club apparently 'admire' Chilwell and Sessegnon, two players with good attacking capabilities. That type of player is better for us than Kelly.

ubermick

Admin
Given that Neil Jones, a reliable journo, has linked us to at least two players for whom we don't have a thread, shouldn't someone start them? @Nikola

If the consensus is that we don't want them, I'll do the honours.
Based on that goal article, I don't think we'd need a thread for anyone mentioned in there yet. Neil is reliable enough, but its still an article mentioning a lot of names along with many "could be" and "understood"

Edit - that said, since none of the names are fellas setting peoples' trousers on fire, feel free to start a thread and curse them!

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It's all fine and well those saying that as a fourth choice centre back he's fine, but people aren't thinking about it from the other angle - this is a guy who said in an interview a year ago that people needed to recognize that he's one of the best defenders in the world. Now, in videos and whatnot he seems like a goofy fella, so it could be he was deadpanning it for the cameras and maybe secretly winning a bet off the lads back in Melwood who said they'd give him £5k if he said it in an interview - but on the off chance he believes the hype, would he be happy staying here and being that far down the pecking order?
I think if he isnt happy being down the pecking order then he will ask to leave. He wont be sticking around being a distraction. Klopp wont be telling him he is a nailed on starter just to keep him sweet, he will make it perfectly clear what the situation is.

ubermick

Admin
"Goal understands Liverpool are unwilling to sanction big-money fees for players they do not feel would immediately start for the club"

Erm, no shite Neil. That said, we paid big money for Fabinho and Keita, neither of whom were immediate starters for us.

GaryBarlow99

"Goal understands Liverpool are unwilling to sanction big-money fees for players they do not feel would immediately start for the club"

Erm, no shite Neil. That said, we paid big money for Fabinho and Keita, neither of whom were immediate starters for us.
I don't get that bit. Maybe he forgot we paid big money for Salah even though we already had Sadio, Bobby and Phil as our front three.