• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Not Worthy

I don't get that bit. Maybe he forgot we paid big money for Salah even though we already had Sadio, Bobby and Phil as our front three.
Ah, but does not say that the club is unwilling to sanction big-money fees for players that ARE first team starters.

SadiosMio

Maybe I'm a total nut but I don't think De Ligt is the best young CB out there, especially not for Klopp and maybe not for anyone.

I'm interested to see how Ibrahima Konate and RB Leipzig do against Bayern this weekend with a trophy on the line. They gave up 1 goal in 2 games in the season and RB had the best defense in the league. I think he's more physical, better aerial, and more athletic than De Ligt, and those are the things that get tested most in PL defenders.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Unwilling to have expensive backup players?

Henderson £16m
Lallana £25m
Milner £0m
Wijnaldum £25m
Oxlade-Chamberlain £35m
Keita £53m
Fabinho £39m

So we don't want expensive players sitting on the bench yet we've bought 4 players for 3 roles the cheapest being £25m? Club is playing a blinder. When any expensive deal happens (which probably would have been worked on for quite some time like the Fabinho deal) I'm sure the "unexpected opportunity" and "too good an opportunity to turn down" lines will be rolled out. It'll only be an opportunity because a lot of work went into creating it.

Jaytinho

Never really thought about him until that whole health issue he had, but Id go with Mario Gotze. Reading these latest articles really got me thinking > 'F*ck! Come on!' - Gotze reveals 'teeth grinding' Klopp has an intimidating side

Lucien Favre has him playing in sort of a free role in the final 3rd, primarily in the false 9 position and hes been enjoying it there. Ofcourse he might not be his explosive 2013 self, but with Dortmund signing Brandt and Thorgan Hazard, Im certain he would be a cheap option. To cover for Bobby and anywhere in those advanced positions in CAM/CM. I think a reunion with Klopp with help reach that level again. Its crazy that he is only 26

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Theres another young dutchman waiting in the ranks. Give it a couple of years and Hoever will suddenly be a ft taller and as wide as a fridge. No point adding de ligt when a left full back, and some attacking power is really needed.
Yeah, from all accounts he's going to be a good one and the only drawback is he's most probably at least a season away from first team football.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
One name I'm surprised isn't cropping up more is Lozano. Looked the real deal at the World Cup and had another good season for PSV, racking up 21 goals in 40 games. Plays primarily in the position we want to strengthen (same as Mane, basically, although can play in any of our attacking positions), is quick, hard-working with an eye for goal.

I haven't seen him in action enough to know if there's a reason why we wouldn't be looking at him, maybe I'm missing something obvious.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
One name I'm surprised isn't cropping up more is Lozano. Looked the real deal at the World Cup and had another good season for PSV, racking up 21 goals in 40 games. Plays primarily in the position we want to strengthen (same as Mane, basically, although can play in any of our attacking positions), is quick, hard-working with an eye for goal.

I haven't seen him in action enough to know if there's a reason why we wouldn't be looking at him, maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Doesn't Lozano prefer the right wing? But yes, one of him, Neres or Bergwijn would be perfect.

Flobs

FADA
I'm not even sure he does anymore, at least in this system. He's playing better now than at any other time in his career and doesn't have the look of a man taking one for the team.
He's adapted well but he prefers playing to the right. Whether he's better well without an extended run on the right who can tell. Still our best player this last season. :)

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I'm not even sure he does anymore, at least in this system. He's playing better now than at any other time in his career and doesn't have the look of a man taking one for the team.
Couldn't care less tbh because you know we're playing the best football in the world

but

IMO Mané was much better in 1v1 on the right wing.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Nah, I think both Mo and Mane prefer playing where they are currently. Playing centrally under Klopp is demanding, doesn't mean they can't do it, but long term probably not. They're not midfieldesque wingers to play in a double pivot formation, at least not Mo (Mane could do it through his work rate). They're proper wide forwards, 4-3-3 is best for them. Especially with a player like Bobby to compliment them with his ability and humility in both ways. A bit like Ronaldo when, even when he wanted complete freedom, realized that what Benzema does is demanding and didn't want to actually start centrally, but play off the left with the licence to tuck inside a lot (going from a wide attacker to probably the most complete least-touches goalscorer in last years) and let the players around fill other zones (when Ancelotti was there he had Benzema working for him, Marcelo behind him and Di Maria at LCM to help out with his runs - that was good balance).

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think we need to stop thinking of our front 3 players against standard positions so anyone coming in would need to be equally flexible.

William Clarke

Couldn't care less tbh because you know we're playing the best football in the world

but

IMO Mané was much better in 1v1 on the right wing.
Yeah, and then Mo Salah arrived and stole his thunder. I would say Sadio has adapted well on the left, it's taken a little time to do so, but he's playing brilliantly in that position.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
"Goal understands Liverpool are unwilling to sanction big-money fees for players they do not feel would immediately start for the club"

Erm, no shite Neil. That said, we paid big money for Fabinho and Keita, neither of whom were immediate starters for us.
Mbappe it is then. Big money for immediate starter. Mo, mane, mbappe, and Firmino can draw straws to see who has to sit game by game.

Red over the water

If anyone hasn't read the fantastic article on analytics at Liverpool in the owner thread (think it was from the New York Times) do yourself a favor and give it a read. It was so informative. Anyhow, all that is to say I'm sure Ian Graham has a list of players, based on his PhD algorithms, who will fit the bill.

One of the nerds on staff is recommending we sign Higgs Boson. Never heard of him! Apparently he is very small.

Last edited:

Red over the water

If Lozano is one of the players we might have an interest in, I certainly like the idea of having another country behind us. The people of Mexico love their football. I'm sure, casually at least, that most of them keep a bit of an eye on the Premier League. Liverpool would be the default team if we signed Lozano.

Obviously first and foremost it has to be because he is the right player, but I like the idea of this added benefit.

William Clarke

If anyone hasn't read the fantastic article on analytics at Liverpool in another thread (think it was from the New York Times) do yourself a favor and give it a read. It was so informative. Anyhow, all that is to say I'm sure Ian Graham has a list of players, based on his PhD algorithms, who will fit the bill.

One of the nerds on staff is recommending we sign Higgs Boson. Never heard of him! Apparently he is very small.
Is he then one that collides with things? :think:

Silly me, that's his brother. It's something people are calling the 'God Particle', whatever the hell (or Heaven, not judging) that means. This sciency thing goes right over my head.

Last edited: