• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think if he isnt happy being down the pecking order then he will ask to leave. He wont be sticking around being a distraction. Klopp wont be telling him he is a nailed on starter just to keep him sweet, he will make it perfectly clear what the situation is.
Also Klopp is very reasonable if players want to move on, as long as it isn’t too late in the day. Human being first, playing asset second and all that.

In all honesty I see where @Mousecat is coming from with De Ligt. He woul have to go straight into the first team, and that would be harsh on Gomez who didn’t ask to have his leg broken by a Burnley twat, and certainly didn’t ask to be played at Right Back where injuries for a lad like him are going to be more common.

The difficulty I have is with Van Dijk. While people talk about how injury prone Matip, Gomez, and Lovren are, we forget that Van Dijk was out for six month before he got here, and having Gomez and another belter (like De Ligt) on the books would enable us to give him a bit of rest every now and then. An injury to him could properly fuck us.

With my fantasy football head on, we sell Lovren and pick two from Van Dijk, Gomez and De Ligt, with matip as a fourth choice for the season (he can leave for free next summer).

The realist in me says is more likely we look at the 22 goals we conceded, conclude we can’t do much better, and stick with what we have.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I don't get that bit. Maybe he forgot we paid big money for Salah even though we already had Sadio, Bobby and Phil as our front three.
Maybe the view at that time was that Salah was likely to start ahead of Phil, or the formation was going to change? It also depends on what you regard as big money. The comment is probably aimed at letting down people who think we will spunk up £75m for a young unproven CB to sit on the bench behind Matip and Gomez.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The difficulty I have is with Van Dijk. While people talk about how injury prone Matip, Gomez, and Lovren are, we forget that Van Dijk was out for six month before he got here, and having Gomez and another belter (like De Ligt) on the books would enable us to give him a bit of rest every now and then. An injury to him could properly fuck us.

With my fantasy football head on, we sell Lovren and pick two from Van Dijk, Gomez and De Ligt, with matip as a fourth choice for the season (he can leave for free next summer).

The realist in me says is more likely we look at the 22 goals we conceded, conclude we can’t do much better, and stick with what we have.
The problem with this thinking though is twofold (for me at least)

1st - That De Ligt isnt anywhere near guarenteed to offer the solidity you and others are hoping he will in covering for VVD.
2nd - How does Klopp square making Matip fourth choice after the season he has had, only to make him give way to an incoming player - that doesnt appear to be within his coaching mantra.

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
Kylian Mbappe. That’s it. No need to spend in January either. Even willing to sell good talented players to make it happen. Wilson, Grujic, Lallana, Origi.

Pipe dream? Yes, but maybe he fancies a try at the premier league and we have to be an attractive destination after back to back champions league finals. Also our manager is just the best.

He can play all across the front line and allows us to actually properly rotate in those positions. Also against some poor soul that just tries to sit back and defend and not offer an attack we can go 4-2-3-1 with Firmino behind a front 3 of Mane, Salah and Mbappe. Still having Robbo and Trent on the overlap.

RIP Burnley. You dead.

Also, I’d be completely fine if we just went into next season with the same squad. A fit Ox and Keita settling further, we could better than this year which is saying something. But if we are playing fantasy land “who would you buy” it be Mbappe. He’s the tits.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
The problem with this thinking though is twofold (for me at least)

1st - That De Ligt isnt anywhere near guarenteed to offer the solidity you and others are hoping he will in covering for VVD.
2nd - How does Klopp square making Matip fourth choice after the season he has had, only to make him give way to an incoming player - that doesnt appear to be within his coaching mantra.
That's why I'd be surprised if he sold Shaqiri. I have a lot of time for Neil Jones, his columns on Liverpool are very good and he pops up with decent bits of info from time to time but that Shaqiri part was a bit too generic for me. Of course Liverpool would sell a bit-part player they got cheaply in today's market if they were offered a chance to make a 20+ million pounds profit on him and replace him with someone better suited to Klopp's tactics.

I also don't think he'll sell Wilson and Grujić just yet. Both signed new contracts last year and both are young enough to continue improving, while the club aren't in a situation where they really have to sell to buy (unless Klopp will be going for one or two really expensive players, which I really don't see happening). Selling Mignolet for 10+ million pounds and replacing him with Adrian on a free does make a lot of sense, though, and hopefully there'll be a suitor for Lallana, whose Liverpool career has basically been written off.

At this point, it looks like the U23s will raise more money to Liverpool than first teamers - Camacho (unfortunately), Kent, Ejaria and Awoniyi vs. Mignolet, Clyne and Lallana!

rupzzz

TIA Regular
No, Joe Gomez is too good to be written off. If de Ligt was brought into the club I can see nothing but good coming from it. Competition for places is the name of the game for bringing a team on and I would say Joe would relish proving he was as good if not better than the young Dutchman. Again, I say a big no to Gomez being written off.
Theres another young dutchman waiting in the ranks. Give it a couple of years and Hoever will suddenly be a ft taller and as wide as a fridge. No point adding de ligt when a left full back, and some attacking power is really needed.

Not Worthy

I don't get that bit. Maybe he forgot we paid big money for Salah even though we already had Sadio, Bobby and Phil as our front three.
Ah, but does not say that the club is unwilling to sanction big-money fees for players that ARE first team starters.

SadiosMio

Maybe I'm a total nut but I don't think De Ligt is the best young CB out there, especially not for Klopp and maybe not for anyone.

I'm interested to see how Ibrahima Konate and RB Leipzig do against Bayern this weekend with a trophy on the line. They gave up 1 goal in 2 games in the season and RB had the best defense in the league. I think he's more physical, better aerial, and more athletic than De Ligt, and those are the things that get tested most in PL defenders.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Unwilling to have expensive backup players?

Henderson £16m
Lallana £25m
Milner £0m
Wijnaldum £25m
Oxlade-Chamberlain £35m
Keita £53m
Fabinho £39m

So we don't want expensive players sitting on the bench yet we've bought 4 players for 3 roles the cheapest being £25m? Club is playing a blinder. When any expensive deal happens (which probably would have been worked on for quite some time like the Fabinho deal) I'm sure the "unexpected opportunity" and "too good an opportunity to turn down" lines will be rolled out. It'll only be an opportunity because a lot of work went into creating it.

Jaytinho

Never really thought about him until that whole health issue he had, but Id go with Mario Gotze. Reading these latest articles really got me thinking > 'F*ck! Come on!' - Gotze reveals 'teeth grinding' Klopp has an intimidating side

Lucien Favre has him playing in sort of a free role in the final 3rd, primarily in the false 9 position and hes been enjoying it there. Ofcourse he might not be his explosive 2013 self, but with Dortmund signing Brandt and Thorgan Hazard, Im certain he would be a cheap option. To cover for Bobby and anywhere in those advanced positions in CAM/CM. I think a reunion with Klopp with help reach that level again. Its crazy that he is only 26

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ the big dog's doodahs
Theres another young dutchman waiting in the ranks. Give it a couple of years and Hoever will suddenly be a ft taller and as wide as a fridge. No point adding de ligt when a left full back, and some attacking power is really needed.
Yeah, from all accounts he's going to be a good one and the only drawback is he's most probably at least a season away from first team football.

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
One name I'm surprised isn't cropping up more is Lozano. Looked the real deal at the World Cup and had another good season for PSV, racking up 21 goals in 40 games. Plays primarily in the position we want to strengthen (same as Mane, basically, although can play in any of our attacking positions), is quick, hard-working with an eye for goal.

I haven't seen him in action enough to know if there's a reason why we wouldn't be looking at him, maybe I'm missing something obvious.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
One name I'm surprised isn't cropping up more is Lozano. Looked the real deal at the World Cup and had another good season for PSV, racking up 21 goals in 40 games. Plays primarily in the position we want to strengthen (same as Mane, basically, although can play in any of our attacking positions), is quick, hard-working with an eye for goal.

I haven't seen him in action enough to know if there's a reason why we wouldn't be looking at him, maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Doesn't Lozano prefer the right wing? But yes, one of him, Neres or Bergwijn would be perfect.

Flobs

FADA
I'm not even sure he does anymore, at least in this system. He's playing better now than at any other time in his career and doesn't have the look of a man taking one for the team.
He's adapted well but he prefers playing to the right. Whether he's better well without an extended run on the right who can tell. Still our best player this last season. :-)

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I'm not even sure he does anymore, at least in this system. He's playing better now than at any other time in his career and doesn't have the look of a man taking one for the team.
Couldn't care less tbh because you know we're playing the best football in the world

but

IMO Mané was much better in 1v1 on the right wing.