• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Nah, I think both Mo and Mane prefer playing where they are currently. Playing centrally under Klopp is demanding, doesn't mean they can't do it, but long term probably not. They're not midfieldesque wingers to play in a double pivot formation, at least not Mo (Mane could do it through his work rate). They're proper wide forwards, 4-3-3 is best for them. Especially with a player like Bobby to compliment them with his ability and humility in both ways. A bit like Ronaldo when, even when he wanted complete freedom, realized that what Benzema does is demanding and didn't want to actually start centrally, but play off the left with the licence to tuck inside a lot (going from a wide attacker to probably the most complete least-touches goalscorer in last years) and let the players around fill other zones (when Ancelotti was there he had Benzema working for him, Marcelo behind him and Di Maria at LCM to help out with his runs - that was good balance).

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I'm not even sure he does anymore, at least in this system. He's playing better now than at any other time in his career and doesn't have the look of a man taking one for the team.
I think we need to stop thinking of our front 3 players against standard positions so anyone coming in would need to be equally flexible.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Couldn't care less tbh because you know we're playing the best football in the world

but

IMO Mané was much better in 1v1 on the right wing.
Yeah, and then Mo Salah arrived and stole his thunder. I would say Sadio has adapted well on the left, it's taken a little time to do so, but he's playing brilliantly in that position.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
"Goal understands Liverpool are unwilling to sanction big-money fees for players they do not feel would immediately start for the club"

Erm, no shite Neil. That said, we paid big money for Fabinho and Keita, neither of whom were immediate starters for us.
Mbappe it is then. Big money for immediate starter. Mo, mane, mbappe, and Firmino can draw straws to see who has to sit game by game.

Red over the water

If anyone hasn't read the fantastic article on analytics at Liverpool in the owner thread (think it was from the New York Times) do yourself a favor and give it a read. It was so informative. Anyhow, all that is to say I'm sure Ian Graham has a list of players, based on his PhD algorithms, who will fit the bill.

One of the nerds on staff is recommending we sign Higgs Boson. Never heard of him! Apparently he is very small.

Last edited:

Red over the water

If Lozano is one of the players we might have an interest in, I certainly like the idea of having another country behind us. The people of Mexico love their football. I'm sure, casually at least, that most of them keep a bit of an eye on the Premier League. Liverpool would be the default team if we signed Lozano.

Obviously first and foremost it has to be because he is the right player, but I like the idea of this added benefit.

William Clarke

If anyone hasn't read the fantastic article on analytics at Liverpool in another thread (think it was from the New York Times) do yourself a favor and give it a read. It was so informative. Anyhow, all that is to say I'm sure Ian Graham has a list of players, based on his PhD algorithms, who will fit the bill.

One of the nerds on staff is recommending we sign Higgs Boson. Never heard of him! Apparently he is very small.
Is he then one that collides with things? :think:

Silly me, that's his brother. It's something people are calling the 'God Particle', whatever the hell (or Heaven, not judging) that means. This sciency thing goes right over my head.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

If anyone hasn't read the fantastic article on analytics at Liverpool in the owner thread (think it was from the New York Times) do yourself a favor and give it a read. It was so informative. Anyhow, all that is to say I'm sure Ian Graham has a list of players, based on his PhD algorithms, who will fit the bill.

Not a good fit. He goes missing

vjcpatriot

Overall: In terms of talent we are as good as anyone in the world. That said there is still room for improvement. Let's review.

Fullbacks: Trent Alexander Arnold and Robertson both provided double digit assists in the attack and were reliable in the back half. As good a starting pair of fullbacks in the entire world. We will be losing Moreno and Clyne. But backups can be had cheaply or we can even promote from within, Hoever being an extremely bright prospect.

Centerbacks: Virgil Van Dijk is the undisputed best defender in the entire premier league and won Player of the Year. Gomez, Matip, and Lovren are the deputies. In terms of talent the deputies are sufficient, in terms of health they have all been quite injury prone at times. Of these three I'd most like to ship off Lovren and acquire a healthy CB who has the potential to develop into a starter long term.

Goal: Alisson won the Golden Glove in his debut season and has instilled an absolute confidence in his defenders. No improvements needed here. We will probably sell Mignolet and look at a new backup keeper. We recently signed Jakub Ojrzynski but at the tender age of 16 he is likely at least 3 years away from even seeing time as a backup.

Forwards: Mane and Salah shared the golden boot with 22 goals apiece. Simply brilliant on the wing. Firmino plays the central position beautifully, scoring goals and setting up his teammates. One of the most formidable front 3's in the entire world. But we seriously lack depth. If Any of those 3 go down we are in serious trouble. Investing in a rotation quality striker/winger would be a smart decision. If we can afford to rest Firmino, Salah or Mane at times, that would be a good thing,

Central Midfield: Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Gini, Milner. Fabinho has settled in nicely, justifing our excitement with his early signing this year. Keita has yet to fully show his powers but hopefully will provide that creative spark we have been seeking. Milner is getting long in the tooth but provides energy and experience. Hendereson and Gini are solid box to box players. We might need to add one creative option/midfield maestro type to add an extra element of creativity and control against bus parking teams.

Attacking Midfield: Lallana, Shaqiri, Chamberlain. A bit of an underwhelming group. Chamberlain missed the whole season due to his massive injury and there's no telling if he can ever make a full recovery. Shaqiri has shown impact at times but then gone quiet for long stretches. Lallana has had a forgettable season and we will probably move on from him. Attacking mid is the area that could use the most improvement. A true, creative #10 is still a need after the Fekir deal fell through and we lost Coutinho to Barcelona. Dybala would be the dream signing, but other very good options are out there. Unfortunately their price tags will be quite high in today's market but hopefully the transfer team can pluck another gem.

Overall transfers: We have struck gold in back, to back, to back seasons. First Mane, then Salah, then VVD, then Alisson and Fabinho. The transfer team is simply on a roll. If we can add 2 more starter quality players this upcoming season, there is no doubt in my mind Liverpool should be 'favorites' to win the league. If we simply add 2 rotation quality players who will contribute in 20-30 games per season, that would still boost our chances to compete with City immensely.

William Clarke

Overall: In terms of talent we are as good as anyone in the world. That said there is still room for improvement. Let's review.

Fullbacks: Trent Alexander Arnold and Robertson both provided double digit assists in the attack and were reliable in the back half. As good a starting pair of fullbacks in the entire world. We will be losing Moreno and Clyne. But backups can be had cheaply or we can even promote from within, Hoever being an extremely bright prospect.

Centerbacks: Virgil Van Dijk is the undisputed best defender in the entire premier league and won Player of the Year. Gomez, Matip, and Lovren are the deputies. In terms of talent the deputies are sufficient, in terms of health they have all been quite injury prone at times. Of these three I'd most like to ship off Lovren and acquire a healthy CB who has the potential to develop into a starter long term.

Goal: Alisson won the Golden Glove in his debut season and has instilled an absolute confidence in his defenders. No improvements needed here. We will probably sell Mignolet and look at a new backup keeper. We recently signed Jakub Ojrzynski but at the tender age of 16 he is likely at least 3 years away from even seeing time as a backup.

Forwards: Mane and Salah shared the golden boot with 22 goals apiece. Simply brilliant on the wing. Firmino plays the central position beautifully, scoring goals and setting up his teammates. One of the most formidable front 3's in the entire world. But we seriously lack depth. If Any of those 3 go down we are in serious trouble. Investing in a rotation quality striker/winger would be a smart decision. If we can afford to rest Firmino, Salah or Mane at times, that would be a good thing,

Central Midfield: Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Gini, Milner. Fabinho has settled in nicely, justifing our excitement with his early signing this year. Keita has yet to fully show his powers but hopefully will provide that creative spark we have been seeking. Milner is getting long in the tooth but provides energy and experience. Hendereson and Gini are solid box to box players. We might need to add one creative option/midfield maestro type to add an extra element of creativity and control against bus parking teams.

Attacking Midfield: Lallana, Shaqiri, Chamberlain. A bit of an underwhelming group. Chamberlain missed the whole season due to his massive injury and there's no telling if he can ever make a full recovery. Shaqiri has shown impact at times but then gone quiet for long stretches. Lallana has had a forgettable season and we will probably move on from him. Attacking mid is the area that could use the most improvement. A true, creative #10 is still a need after the Fekir deal fell through and we lost Coutinho to Barcelona. Dybala would be the dream signing, but other very good options are out there. Unfortunately their price tags will be quite high in today's market but hopefully the transfer team can pluck another gem.

Overall transfers: We have struck gold in back, to back, to back seasons. First Mane, then Salah, then VVD, then Alisson and Fabinho. The transfer team is simply on a roll. If we can add 2 more starter quality players this upcoming season, there is no doubt in my mind Liverpool should be 'favorites' to win the league. If we simply add 2 rotation quality players who will contribute in 20-30 games per season, that would still boost our chances to compete with City immensely.
Well thought out and structured review and, I agree, that just a couple of decent, reasonably low cost buys should be enough for us to challenge again on all fronts

Ballymun Red

get bale on a loan deal with franco's boys paying half his wages. they did that with james rodriguez when they sent him to bayern. absolute no brainer.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
get bale on a loan deal with franco's boys paying half his wages. they did that with james rodriguez when they sent him to bayern. absolute no brainer.
Bale is on a small fortune,even paying half his wages he'd still be our top earner.

Loving the profile pic

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
With regard to the Centre Backs I am of the opinion that Lovren is far and away the weakest (always been a big fan of Matip and delighted he has been showing just how good he is) and he needs to be the first out the door. Phillips seems like he is close to first team level (or did before injury) and could be the next cab off the rank. Hoever is undoubtedly talented but I think he is more likely to follow Trent and be looked at as a back-up for the right back slot. Adapting to the attacking element of the position will stand him in good stead for the long term.
In an ideal world I would let Lovren go and use the money to look for a Left Back who can cover Centre Back too

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
I like Lozano alot but I don't watch enough to know if he is the best option - certainly someone of his ilk would be an excellent option for rotating the front three. Imagine a front three of Shaq, Origi and Lozano just as back-ups!

BigJon

Higgs Bosun is a bit of an enigma - tends to disappear a lot.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
He's adapted well but he prefers playing to the right. Whether he's better well without an extended run on the right who can tell. Still our best player this last season. :-)
Just out of interest but how can you be so sure he enjoys playing in the right better, is there comments to suggest this is the case?

Jaytinho

Just out of interest but how can you be so sure he enjoys playing in the right better, is there comments to suggest this is the case?
I think the "enjoying" part is key lol We need evidence. Cant just be that Arsenal goal which led to him jumping on Klopps back

Lovejoy122876

He doesn't mass much attraction.........