• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Lynch04

Smeg Head
He's not exactly a speed merchant. As far as stamina - it's so hard to tell, because the way Augsburg plays and the way we play is so massively different, no idea if he could cope with that tbh.
Anway, not sure how likely this is...are there any rumours or are you just asking out of interest?
Responding
He's not exactly a speed merchant. As far as stamina - it's so hard to tell, because the way Augsburg plays and the way we play is so massively different, no idea if he could cope with that tbh.
Anway, not sure how likely this is...are there any rumours or are you just asking out of interest?
Reference the LB position, I thought they had ear marked Adam Lewis for this role. I understand he is not the fastest but is highly thought of.

In regards to pace, its a dimension that we revel in with Robertson, but you could argue Moreno is fast and offered little, whilst Milner - not renowned for his pace - was more effective.
One of the important factors our FB’s give us is the overlap, drawing a defender so Mane/Salah can cut in or utilise them. So IMO an above average speed is ideal, but stamina/game intelligence is preferred - ie when to go and when not to go.

Cologne-liverpool, are there any other players you feel we could be looking at? Does Lahm have a son coming through?

LagunaPZW

Before Dortmund signed Brandt, I read an article saying that we're not interested in him despite his £21.5m release clause. This seems absurd to me, given that we lack a proven playmaker/attacker off the bench (Shaqiri is good, but definitely not a game changer) as well as the fact that the fee is small change in today's market. Where else can you get a versatile, international-calibre attacker who would potentially be willing to sit on the bench? In my opinion, he is ideal because he is good enough to make an impact when Salah/Mané/Firmino aren't playing well but probably happy to play a rotation role seeing as he hasn't yet established himself as a star. He's only 23 years old as well!

I reckon this transfer window should be considered a success if we manage to sign an attacker, to take some of the burden off the front 3 (and to try and close the gap on City in terms of attacking depth) and a creative midfielder. Brandt and Fekir would have been the ideal signings and should only cost around £70m but we really blew it in the case of the former. I'd be really interested to hear the rationale behind why we didn't move for him, given the circumstances.

On a site note, a backup keeper to replace Mignolet and some cover at left-back wouldn't go amiss either, although obviously these issues are not as pressing as those mentioned above.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I personally think most of our creativity stems from the system we play (mainly the forcing of mistakes high up the pitch which we then capitalise on), and the system works because of the players we have performing in it.

For all the talk of a lack of creativity, we've had no problem scoring an amazing amount of goals for at least two seasons now. While our forwards are brilliant, we aren't solely reliant on their brilliance to score, it's the system that allows them to perform to that level.

I'd be quite surprised if this summer we tried to fix what ain't broke.
I think the lack of creativity is an Elephant in the room scenario. We create an awful lot of chances but in a different manner to City.
They like to get their wide players to the Goal line and cut it back, they do it well as they have clever players in Midfield who can play these finer balls.
Our Midfield is definitely a bit more industrious but is still capable of creating chances. Like City we create our chances mainly from a wider position but mainly from the 18yrd position, whether it be the FB crossing our the wide attackers cutting in.

I haven't read all of Mousecat’s/other’s posts but i have enjoyed our progression under Klopp. Out of the two managers he seems more adaptable in terms of style. I maybe wrong but we were the only team to reduce the points difference to City and by 20+ points. This is a city team who have been champions 4 times in recent history, with the best manager in the world?? And a squad where most players were brought for £50m plus or a value respective of that with inflation.
In a few years we, LFC, have come so far. Agree with it or not this has come from the owners downwards, but obviously one man and his team are the main reason for this. I trust in this man and as mentioned before I want him to win the CL (preferably for us), because he deserves it. I was in the Ataturk stadium, iv lived that moment and i cannot think of anyone living, who hasn't had that experience more worthwhile than Klopp.

Anyhow, i apologise as i have drunkenly gone off on an a tangent. Mods, please feel free to delete or move to a more relevant thread

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Sturridge is on about £120k and Lallana won't be anywhere near £180k.

Bale is on his way down and the polar opposite of the profile we recruit.
Bale is probably the most anti Klopp signing I could possibly think of.

He’s a prime candidate for the collective 3 brain hive up the M62, i.e. old, injury prone and demanding huge wages.

RedForever2014

Overall: In terms of talent we are as good as anyone in the world. That said there is still room for improvement. Let's review.

Fullbacks: Trent Alexander Arnold and Robertson both provided double digit assists in the attack and were reliable in the back half. As good a starting pair of fullbacks in the entire world. We will be losing Moreno and Clyne. But backups can be had cheaply or we can even promote from within, Hoever being an extremely bright prospect.

Centerbacks: Virgil Van Dijk is the undisputed best defender in the entire premier league and won Player of the Year. Gomez, Matip, and Lovren are the deputies. In terms of talent the deputies are sufficient, in terms of health they have all been quite injury prone at times. Of these three I'd most like to ship off Lovren and acquire a healthy CB who has the potential to develop into a starter long term.

Goal: Alisson won the Golden Glove in his debut season and has instilled an absolute confidence in his defenders. No improvements needed here. We will probably sell Mignolet and look at a new backup keeper. We recently signed Jakub Ojrzynski but at the tender age of 16 he is likely at least 3 years away from even seeing time as a backup.

Forwards: Mane and Salah shared the golden boot with 22 goals apiece. Simply brilliant on the wing. Firmino plays the central position beautifully, scoring goals and setting up his teammates. One of the most formidable front 3's in the entire world. But we seriously lack depth. If Any of those 3 go down we are in serious trouble. Investing in a rotation quality striker/winger would be a smart decision. If we can afford to rest Firmino, Salah or Mane at times, that would be a good thing,

Central Midfield: Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Gini, Milner. Fabinho has settled in nicely, justifing our excitement with his early signing this year. Keita has yet to fully show his powers but hopefully will provide that creative spark we have been seeking. Milner is getting long in the tooth but provides energy and experience. Hendereson and Gini are solid box to box players. We might need to add one creative option/midfield maestro type to add an extra element of creativity and control against bus parking teams.

Attacking Midfield: Lallana, Shaqiri, Chamberlain. A bit of an underwhelming group. Chamberlain missed the whole season due to his massive injury and there's no telling if he can ever make a full recovery. Shaqiri has shown impact at times but then gone quiet for long stretches. Lallana has had a forgettable season and we will probably move on from him. Attacking mid is the area that could use the most improvement. A true, creative #10 is still a need after the Fekir deal fell through and we lost Coutinho to Barcelona. Dybala would be the dream signing, but other very good options are out there. Unfortunately their price tags will be quite high in today's market but hopefully the transfer team can pluck another gem.

Overall transfers: We have struck gold in back, to back, to back seasons. First Mane, then Salah, then VVD, then Alisson and Fabinho. The transfer team is simply on a roll. If we can add 2 more starter quality players this upcoming season, there is no doubt in my mind Liverpool should be 'favorites' to win the league. If we simply add 2 rotation quality players who will contribute in 20-30 games per season, that would still boost our chances to compete with City immensely.
Good analysis.

The past three summers we've signed players who can start a match against any side in Europe, and released/sold/loaned those at the bottom of the squad in terms of quality.

This has improved the best 11, and has created an interchangeable squad of about 14 or 15 similar level outfield players from whom an 11 can be picked without the level of the side dropping too much.

What we now need is more of the same, one final summer of it in fact, signing 3 or 4 players in order to expand that 14 or 15 to 17 to 18, topped up with a couple of outfield squad players who would be used enough to justify having them here, but maybe not regularly.

For me it's about replacing Clyne, Sturridge, Moreno, Lallana, with younger, fitter, better alternatives, with the likes of Shaqiri, Lovren and Origi filling out the squad if not upgraded themselves.

There is little point having 25% or more of your squad as rarely used or emergency only players.

They don't justify their wages, the better players get overused, and anything more than 2 or 3 injuries in that better group of players seriously affects your CL and PL chances as well as the cup competitions.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
What we now need is more of the same, one final summer of it in fact, signing 3 or 4 players in order to expand that 14 or 15 to 17 to 18, topped up with a couple of outfield squad players who would be used enough to justify having them here, but maybe not regularly.
I’d say no way would Shaqiri for example be happy with the role he has in the long term. What you are suggesting is 'bring 3 or 4 more of them' - there is no way Klopp could keep them happy.

Sané, Mahrez and Jesus earn loads of money and won the league. City probably had the most games this season across Europe but the players I’ve mentioned are not happy and are even looking for a way out.

Last thing we need is unhappy players.

Limiescouse

@RedForever2014 You are of course correct in what the goal should be. Where it is challenging is in the practical realities of it, and a look to City might illustrate that. They have the attacking talent on paper that many fans judge as the bench mark for what sort of depth is needed. Yet despite how good on paper Mahrez and Jesus look, once they get on the pitch they do not live up to expectation.

This season, Jesus got only 8 starts in all competitions. This is not exactly a metric expected of a player who is deemed interchangeable, but someone who is deemed to represent a significant drop off from the player replaced. This is likely cause AND effect...he is playing less because isnt as good as Aguero, but then the playing less makes it difficult for him to perform when used. That is the fundamental challenge of filling out your squad past around 16-17 players that not even bags of money and attracting the best talent on paper can solve.

Mahrez has fared better, but isnt distinguishable from Shaq in his useage. Both got about 14 starts. Mahrez scored one more goal, but did so from a more attacking role than Shaq had.

Flobs

FADA
@RedForever2014 You are of course correct in what the goal should be. Where it is challenging is in the practical realities of it, and a look to City might illustrate that. They have the attacking talent on paper that many fans judge as the bench mark for what sort of depth is needed. Yet despite how good on paper Mahrez and Jesus look, once they get on the pitch they do not live up to expectation.

This season, Jesus got only 8 starts in all competitions. This is not exactly a metric expected of a player who is deemed interchangeable, but someone who is deemed to represent a significant drop off from the player replaced. This is likely cause AND effect...he is playing less because isnt as good as Aguero, but then the playing less makes it difficult for him to perform when used. That is the fundamental challenge of filling out your squad past around 16-17 players that not even bags of money and attracting the best talent on paper can solve.

Mahrez has fared better, but isnt distinguishable from Shaq in his useage. Both got about 14 starts. Mahrez scored one more goal, but did so from a more attacking role than Shaq had.
Jesus just isn't very good! lol

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Personally I've always thought different about ideal squad depth.

For me you'd want 2 keepers you don't mind starting games for you and a 3rd emergency keeper. Depending on the age of the starting keeper determines for me whether you need an experienced veteran ending his career or a challenging kid starting his as your number 2 the other option as your 3. I'd say Alisson as 1st with Grabara or Kelleher as 3rd means a very is required as 2nd. Beyond that you will have academy keepers around in case of real emergencies.

On the outfield I'd say ideal for me would be an initial group of 15 who are all good enough that they are considered to be "starters" and between them give you two good options in each position. After that you need maybe 5 emergency back up players who could be either talented kids needing playing opportunities or veterans coming tk the end of their careers able to perform level headed in emergency situations.

I actually think we are practically there just a few imbalances.

VvD, Gomez, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Wijnaldum, Ox, Salah, Mane and Firmino definitely, without doubt, fit in the 15 which means only 3 off.

In that group you have the following options; 3 CBs (2 roles), 3 RBs, 1 LB, 3 DMs, 4 CMs (2 roles), 2 wingers (2 roles) and 3 CFs.

So the 3 to add need to provide the following options between them; 1 CB, 1 LB and 2 wingers.

Now I didn't list Matip or Lovren who can both be argued to be good enough for that group of 15 on paper but with Gomez injury history and them both being injury prone it seems quite risky to me. Can go with Matip in the 15 and Lovren as part of that emergency group but not sure Lovren would accept that role. Would save money and resources to go like that a year and then Hoever could replace Lovren next summer. But I can see the logic of using Matip as emergency and investing in a top CB for the 15.

Due to the need for a winger option and a LB option I really can see the logic in landing someone like Sessegnon but its arguable hes ready to be part of the 15 top class players. Benjamin Henrichs seems another versatile young option. Alternatively if we bought a CB who could cover LB might be another way to add that LB option in the group of 15.

Bare minimum though I think it's essential to add at least one top class winger though.

We could get by with someone like Henrichs or Sessegnon who can give a LB option and wing option or keeping Milner in this role, keeping Lovren with Matip and adding a star forward.

Think I'd add Pepe Reina, Benjamin Henrichs (maybe loan to buy?) Jonathan Tah (although obviously De Ligt would be more spectacular) and Jadon Sancho (because Kylian Mbappe is too spectacular to say even here) if I could. It's (except Reina) a young group that'd be patient to slowly break into the side and rotate whilst they get settled.

With regards to the few back up options needed I'd say Hoever, Lewis, Milner, Wilson and Brewster would be enough to give a wide coverage across the pitch. Some of those have the potential to make their way into the group of 15 too.

Flobs

FADA
Yet he has 30 caps for Brazil at 21 years of age at a time when our own Firmino is often relegated to the bench. He is a very good player, but is unarguably not living it up to at City. And that illustrates the issue.
Then there's no wonder Brazil aren't very good. :tongue:

Mousecat

I think the lack of creativity is an Elephant in the room scenario. We create an awful lot of chances but in a different manner to City.
They like to get their wide players to the Goal line and cut it back, they do it well as they have clever players in Midfield who can play these finer balls.
Our Midfield is definitely a bit more industrious but is still capable of creating chances. Like City we create our chances mainly from a wider position but mainly from the 18yrd position, whether it be the FB crossing our the wide attackers cutting in.

I haven't read all of Mousecat’s/other’s posts but i have enjoyed our progression under Klopp. Out of the two managers he seems more adaptable in terms of style. I maybe wrong but we were the only team to reduce the points difference to City and by 20+ points. This is a city team who have been champions 4 times in recent history, with the best manager in the world?? And a squad where most players were brought for £50m plus or a value respective of that with inflation.
In a few years we, LFC, have come so far.
I agree that Klopp is the more pragmatic of the two managers. That game against Roma is the perfect example.

Would Guardiola have just said "go long"?

Who knows.

But we are in direct competition with them, and Guardiola is their man, and they have all that money. And it's formidable.

So... what do they do better than us? Where can we improve to match them?

I don't believe in just dismissing the analysis of the midfield as mere differences in style, and saying "that's just how Klopp wants his midfield to be"

There is no evidence whatsoever of this fact. All we know is that he has what he has and he's working with that. As the fundamental premise for the spirited defence of Jordan henderson and James Milner, it's got to be critically analysed.

I think Mascot, maybe a couple of people, made the point "They do the job Klopp wants from his midfield"

This is a questionable premise. I mean, of course they do. and they do it well. But is it the job which, long term, Klopp will want his midfield to do? Or will we/can we evolve that model?

To my mind it's not even in doubt. This is the area where Manchester city are the more refined, the more finished article than we are. And it's not about simply revolving the debate around single criteria such as creativity or workrate, then using the basic stats to validate the position.

Let me just say that in no way is this a criticism. It's a statement of what I believe to be fact. An observation. City have had all the money and Guardiola hasn't had to gradually rebuild, and not from the starting position Klopp has either.

It's certain aspects of the game where they excel, and it's those areas where we can improve the most.

I'll put this as bluntly and basically as it needs to be.

When I watch them play, and then watch us, the aspect of their game which is head and shoulders above ours is their ability to control possession, especially from a leading position.

The requirement in that situation is for a player who is comfortable with possession under pressure, able to face the play, able to shield the ball, able to carry the ball under pressure, and with the first touch and technique to not present the opportunity for a turnover.

In our midfield, we have four players who can do that: Gini Wijnaldum, Fabinho, naby Keita and Oxlade Chamberlain.

Of those players, only two have been available to Klopp this season.

Critical to maintaining possession and complete control of a football match, is for there to be no weak link in this system. No players who fall below the necessary requirements to play this way. Man City's midfield is like glue in those instances. Our isn't. There was a point in the Barcelona game where we could have conceded a goal through a chance we gave them from Milner's lack of control of a very simple pass.

When we don't have those players, yes, we have to play to our other strengths, and this Liverpool team have so many other strengths that maybe it seems like there aren't still a couple of weaknesses. Key ones which need to be addressed.

This isn't to say those mentioned players don't have a future at the club. They absolutely do and are good enough to provide a quality which they have in abundance. But it is, and I stand by this point, critical that we don't have to rely long term on having to select two players in a starting eleven who lack a couple of key components which would elevate our game to the next level.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

When I watch them play, and then watch us, the aspect of their game which is head and shoulders above ours is their ability to control possession, especially from a leading position.
Right, because that is the foundational aspect of their approach. It is not of ours. In contrast, we have the licence to force the issue because we are so good at winning it back quickly, and it is in those transitions that we really look to take advantage. That requires that a different skill set is prioritized and as such different players become valuable to you.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Just so we are clear;

Man City;
Average possession 64%
Average shots 18
Average pass accuracy 89%

Liverpool;
Average possession 58.8%
Average shots 15.1
Average pass accuracy 84.4%

They were strong all season we noticeably improved as the season went yet, despite their financial juggernaut funded strength in depth, there's really not much in it when looking at the season as a whole. I bet if you could just look at final 3rd of the season we'd be about level.

Mousecat

we have the licence to force the issue because we are so good at winning it back quickly, and it is in those transitions that we really look to take advantage. That requires that a different skill set
Man City do that bit too. Don't casually dismiss that crucial fact.

Ultimately this is what you've got to understand. Man city's last season wasn't an outlier. they're a 100 points (or thereabouts) per season team for a reason.

Mousecat

Just so we are clear;

Man City;
Average possession 64%
Average shots 18
Average pass accuracy 89%

Liverpool;
Average possession 58.8%
Average shots 15.1
Average pass accuracy 84.4%
Yes, and now we are clear. As clear as before.

Which side of those stats do we need to be to be better than them?

The most crucial piece of information above, is the name of the club above the numbers

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Man City do that bit too. Don't casually dismiss that crucial fact.

Ultimately this is what you've got to understand. Man city's last season wasn't an outlier. they're a 100 points (or thereabouts) per season team for a reason.
Because they cheat with the financial regulations they are supposed to adhere to, break the rules with regards to their recruitment and have spent an obscene amount of money compiling the most expensive squad with the best depth the league has ever seen. And they still only just edge us. You just prefer that style of play with playmakers in central midfield providing the sides creativity and control.

Mousecat

So are we.
This is why there's so much potential in this team. City don't really have much room for improvement. We still do. I've said this before, this Liverpool team can potentially break records. With improvements in midfield and with consistency I think we can establish ourselves as the best in the history of the premier league.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yes, and now we are clear. As clear as before.

Which side of those stats do we need to be to be better than them?

The most crucial piece of information above, is the name of the club above the numbers
You leave this bit out on purpose?

"They were strong all season we noticeably improved as the season went yet, despite their financial juggernaut funded strength in depth, there's really not much in it when looking at the season as a whole. I bet if you could just look at final 3rd of the season we'd be about level."

Mousecat

Because they cheat with the financial regulations they are supposed to adhere to, break the rules with regards to their recruitment and have spent an obscene amount of money compiling the most expensive squad with the best depth the league has ever seen. And they still only just edge us. You just prefer that style of play with playmakers in central midfield providing the sides creativity and control.
Yea, they're money boosted, it's known. But without Guardiola and that system, we're still champions.

There's a lot more to come from this team under Klopp in regards to how we control play and create through the midfield. That's a good thing btw. You'd think I was arguing we're on the slide ffs :D

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
This is why there's so much potential in this team. City don't really have much room for improvement. We still do. I've said this before, this Liverpool team can potentially break records. With improvements in midfield and with consistency I think we can establish ourselves as the best in the history of the premier league.
This team is already proving consistent and breaking records. Unlike City, we're not facing an immediate rebuild.

Red over the water

There’s not a lot in it, looking at the stats. To my mind, they scored more goals than us and the top priority for us is another forward, however we approach that - probably a fast, goalscoring winger, given the flexibility of any of the current front three to play through the middle as needed.

Improvements to the midfield will come, now that Fabinho is bedded in, and presumably there’s more to come from Keita and Ox. Henderson looked better once Fabinho got into the side too, as he shifted to an 8.

I think we can improve the midfield, but it will take a lot of money and Milner should be the first one to make way, as he’s getting older. I think the addition we might go for, someone like Havertz, might not come until next year, as in the meantime we will add another forward and try to find a better midfield blend from the start of the season, with the players we already have.

Mousecat

You leave this bit out on purpose?

"They were strong all season we noticeably improved as the season went yet, despite their financial juggernaut funded strength in depth, there's really not much in it when looking at the season as a whole. I bet if you could just look at final 3rd of the season we'd be about level."
If stats make up the basis of your post, use them for the latter part too. don't just "bet on it"

Mousecat

There’s not a lot in it, looking at the stats. To my mind, they scored more goals than us and the top priority for us is another forward, however we approach that - probably a fast, goalscoring winger, given the flexibility of any of the current front three to play through the middle as needed.

Improvements to the midfield will come, now that Fabinho is bedded in, and presumably there’s more to come from Keita and Ox. Henderson looked better once Fabinho got into the side too, as he shifted to an 8.

I think we can improve the midfield, but it will take a lot of money and Milner should be the first one to make way, as he’s getting older. I think the addition we might go for, someone like Havertz, might not come until next year, as in the meantime we will add another forward and try to find a better midfield blend from the start of the season, with the players we already have.
Keita and Ox are a big part of the equation. Those two fit all season, we don't have a problem at all.

But one is coming back from a career threatening injury and the other looks like he could be a bit injury prone. Shite but... what can you do.

Does Klopp... do you lot in here, really feel comfortable going into the season hoping/expecting those two to get a full season in?

Fuckin hell, I rate those two players really highly. And if there was a guarantee they'd be available all season then you can scrap what I'm even saying here. But I don't think Klopp and his team will see this as a risk we can take. What we lack when they're not available, we need to bring in more of in this transfer window.

And saying that, I've just stumbled on my best way to answer all these arguments...

Klopp himself

We keep talking about this is how we play vs city... this is what we want from our midfield and it's not the same as city... blah blah..

But hold on.. this is exactly what Klopp was looking for when he signed Naby Keita and Oxlade Chamberlain. These players bring all of those components.

He clearly values this type of player, and he clearly wants them in his midfield. Otherwise why spend £130M on them plus Fabinho, another player with those attributes I mentioned before?

It's because he wants them. Of course he does. Who wouldn't. And if fully fit and fully adapted, they'll be his first choice players.

The question really revolves around whether he'll be happy going into the next full season not only having to rely on the long term fitness of the both of them, and but doing without what they bring to the team if they're missing

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yea, they're money boosted, it's known. But without Guardiola and that system, we're still champions.

There's a lot more to come from this team under Klopp in regards to how we control play and create through the midfield. That's a good thing btw. You'd think I was arguing we're on the slide ffs :D
Your posts make it sound like, because we occasionally play Henderson and/or Milner in midfield, we have this huge glaring weakness.

We don't.

Our team achieved almost the same levels as their team over the season.

They showed a consistent level all season whereas we improved during the year.

The things you're listing as weaknesses (which you attribute to some of our midfield personnell) we'd have been about even stevens with them by the end of the season.

But you're ignoring all this context to further your narrative which has always been based on an irrational dislike of Henderson (and to a lesser extent Milner) that you're basically trying to justify.

Your supposedly knowledgeable analysis of what you constantly keep calling to be added to our midfield just shows how ignorant you are to other approaches.

You are clearly desperate for a playmaker to come into our attacking midfield to control the flow of our game and create chances, a De Bruyne or David Silva type.

You're so desperate for this to happen (and therefore relegate Henderson) that you're turning a blind eye (or two) to the facts.

If Klopp wanted that he'd have bought it.

If we were reliant on it and didn't have it we'd struggle to create as a side.

Klopp isn't missing it because he never wanted it or set his side up to include it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Keita and Ox are a big part of the equation. Those two fit all season, we don't have a problem at all.

But one is coming back from a career threatening injury and the other looks like he could be a bit injury prone. Shite but... what can you do.

Does Klopp... do you lot in here, really feel comfortable going into the season hoping/expecting those two to get a full season in?

Fuckin hell, I rate those two players really highly. And if there was a guarantee they'd be available all season then you can scrap what I'm even saying here. But I don't think Klopp and his team will see this as a risk we can take. What we lack when they're not available, we need to bring in more of in this transfer window.

And saying that, I've just stumbled on my best way to answer all these arguments...

Klopp himself

We keep talking about this is how we play vs city... this is what we want from our midfield and it's not the same as city... blah blah..

But hold on.. this is exactly what Klopp was looking for when he signed Naby Keita and Oxlade Chamberlain. These players bring all of those components.

He clearly values this type of player, and he clearly wants them in his midfield. Otherwise why spend £130M on them plus Fabinho, another player with those attributes I mentioned before?

It's because he wants them. Of course he does. Who wouldn't. And if fully fit and fully adapted, they'll be his first choice players.

The question really revolves around whether he'll be happy going into the next full season not only having to rely on the long term fitness of the both of them, and but doing without what they bring to the team if they're missing
All 3 fit into the blueprint of the type of midfielder Klopp wants. I don't think City would use any in the 2 most creative roles in their central midfield 3. Maybe Ox.