• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I have a great idea...
Lets say who we would buy? In this thread?

Who would you buy?

One of..........
1 Mbappe
2 Zaha
3 Fernandes

First two can integrate into forward line for rotating over 70 games.
Fernandes to rotate with Ox, Keita and become a 10 when required.
Maybe him with Mbappe.

Mousecat

Ok Coutinho was good but not that good.
Anger and resentment influences people's opinions, and that's the only reason for a comment like this, because of this was a manc or Evertonian saying this while he was with us, we'd laugh it off quite easily

Coutinho is just a player that's been uprooted, and now in his new environment he looks wilted and unimpressive. This happens. Its normal. Otherwise we've signed a right shoelace in naby keita.. and city got a skinny bollock in raheem sterling.

Fact is, like those, when he puts roots down and hardens off to his new environment, he'll bloom like he did with us.

142 million pound worth of player is his potential. That's the peak he's already realised and maintained for looking enough that any club in the world would have had him. We were lucky to have seen it and I appreciate the player he was. He is fully capable of achieving that level again even if not with Barcelona.

......But that's completely different from saying I want him back

jackh1092

I have a great idea...

Who would you buy?

One of..........
1 Mbappe
2 Zaha
3 Fernandes

Maybe him with Mbappe.
For me, Mbappe is pie in the sky- so i wouldn't even consider answering with him.

2 and 3 are tough ones. Zaha can be inconsistent, but maybe joining us would see him improve even more like Mane etc have. However, he'd cost a lot. Whilst Fernandes is quite hard to be sure on coming from Portugal, but he seems very good.

I'll go with 3) as i don't think 2) is the best way to spend our money on the front line this summer.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Sure
Anger and resentment influences people's opinions, and that's the only reason for a comment like this, because of this was a manc or Evertonian saying this while he was with us, we'd laugh it off quite easily

Coutinho is just a player that's been uprooted, and now in his new environment he looks wilted and unimpressive. This happens. Its normal. Otherwise we've signed a right shoelace in naby keita.. and city got a skinny bollock in raheem sterling.

Fact is, like those, when he puts roots down and hardens off to his new environment, he'll bloom like he did with us.

142 million pound worth of player is his potential. That's the peak he's already realised and maintained for looking enough that any club in the world would have had him. We were lucky to have seen it and I appreciate the player he was. He is fully capable of achieving that level again even if not with Barcelona.

......But that's completely different from saying I want him back

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I totally get that you are pissed off about the manner in which he left us. But the fact is that he ticks a lot of boxes. He has a fantastic free kick. He already knows Klopp's system so he can fit straight back into the team. And he has great chemistry with the other front 3. Our defense was the biggest reason we were successful this season. The attack was good but not that great. People say it is the tactics but I honestly believe that it is mostly because we were short up front after he left. Not only did he leave but we lost Ox for the whole year also and there is still a question mark about what he will be like when he returns next year after his terrible injury. If we can get Coutinho for 60-70m, I think we should do it. You disagree and that is fine but I don't think we get a better player anywhere else for that price.

Also on your point that "he slows games down", that is complete bollocks. Sorry but it was the opposite. One of his strengths was his speed of thought and how quickly he got rid of the ball and made the killer pass. Take a look at some of the counter attacks he was involved with in the season before he left if you disagree. The other thing is that I don't think Firminho has been as good since he left. They had a fantastic chemistry together. It's not always about just the player. It's about the impact he has on the team.
60m to 70m is a good deal for a player of his quality. But... you can't bring back Coutinho, after the manner he left, and pay him more than Salah, Mane or Firmino. That is like rewarding him for his disloyalty. He would also have to take a huge pay cut which I think is unlikely.

Also... is Coutinho the same player that left??? Who knows if we can rebuild his confidence... If we are looking for someone of his ilk then Bruno Fernandes makes much more sense both from a sporting and from a financial perspective.

I think he could come back and be back to his best... but I also think there are other options and players that Klopp can elevate to his level as well.

S_J_R

Coutinho is worth bringing back for around half what we sold him for. He was quality for us - our best player at the time and we were devastated to lose him. The secondary benefit to bringing him back, is that it is a solid, powerful, daily reminder to Salah, Mane, Fimrinho and VVD that the grass is not always greener with Madrid or Barca.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Coutinho is worth bringing back for around half what we sold him for. He was quality for us - our best player at the time and we were devastated to lose him. The secondary benefit to bringing him back, is that it is a solid, powerful, daily reminder to Salah, Mane, Fimrinho and VVD that the grass is not always greener with Madrid or Barca.
It could also turn out to be a solid, powerful, daily reminder that if they want to try and it doesn't work out... they can possibly come back while making millions more in the process??? :think:

Coutinho's cut of the transfer fees + higher salary probably enriched him greatly. If he is willing to come back and make 100K per week then fine...

But he can't break the existing salary structure.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
@Limiescouse mentioned in another thread that we have played 47 games and City have played 61. Let's say we go all the way in all competitions, which should take us to 60+ games. That's a swing of +15 games or 1300+ minutes!!
I think that the LB and RB backups which we need, shouldnt be just for the sake of adding numbers. They should be genuine quality. Else Robbo and TAA will get fatigued fast.
In midfield with Ox, Keita and Wilson should be taking more game time. Along with Fab, Hendo, Wij and Milner - we should be managing OK.
In attack, Shaq, Origi and Brewster should be getting more game time. But that's just 5 senior players (including Bobby, Mo and Mane) and 1 youngster - that may not be enough. We need 1 genuine contender for the attacking 3 and not a rotation or backup option.
So a LB, RB and an attacking player who can play across front 3 for me. I wouldn't touch CB or GK for now. Similarly fat bastard aka power cube should be kept.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Thinking about a leftback, Philipp Max /Augsburg would be a typical "Klopp transfer" . Pace, beautiful left foot, and most importantly, a very nice, hard working, down to earth guy imo. He would need some time to adept but that would be the case for every new signing anyway.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
@Limiescouse mentioned in another thread that we have played 47 games and City have played 61. Let's say we go all the way in all competitions, which should take us to 60+ games. That's a swing of +15 games or 1300+ minutes!!
I think if we reach every possible final that would even take us to 70 games

KMD1951

I think that the LB and RB backups which we need, shouldnt be just for the sake of adding numbers. They should be genuine quality. Else Robbo and TAA will get fatigued fast.
In midfield with Ox, Keita and Wilson should be taking more game time. Along with Fab, Hendo, Wij and Milner - we should be managing OK.
In attack, Shaq, Origi and Brewster should be getting more game time. But that's just 5 senior players (including Bobby, Mo and Mane) and 1 youngster - that may not be enough. We need 1 genuine contender for the attacking 3 and not a rotation or backup option.
So a LB, RB and an attacking player who can play across front 3 for me. I wouldn't touch CB or GK for now. Similarly fat bastard aka power cube should be kept.
Agree with you but I think we played 53 games last season, however that was going out in both domestic cups in the first round. Next season we are going to have the Supercup and the Club World so a minimum of three games there. If you include the Charity Shield as a competitive game rather than a friendly then we’ll have a minimum of 49 next season. I’m sure we’ll look at using the League Cup and FA Cup to blood players and give squad players a run out. I think in addition to the positions you’ve mentioned if we can find another CM who will improve on what we have then sign them up. However, if we go in next season with Fab, Milner, AOC, Keita, Gini and Henderson I’ll be more than happy with that as really think Keita will kick in next season and think AOC showed enough last season to show how important he can be for us. I’m one who definitely thinks Henderson is a fantastic player but it might only be once he’s hung up his boots that a lot of fans appreciate what he gives the team.

Last edited:

Mousecat

I’m one who definitely thinks Henderson is a fantastic player but it might only be once he’s hung up his boots that a lot of fans appreciate what he gives the team.
The issue with the Henderson debate is that there are two separate groups. Those who don't appreciate what he gives the team, and those who don't appreciate what he doesn't. There's no rational middle ground. Never has been. Same with a lot of players. Now Coutinho was never even that good in the first place.

Thomas1195

I have a great idea...

Who would you buy?

One of..........
1 Mbappe
2 Zaha
3 Fernandes

Maybe him with Mbappe.

Zaha can be inconsistent, but maybe joining us would see him improve even more like Mane etc have. However, he'd cost a lot. Whilst Fernandes is quite hard to be sure on coming from Portugal, but he seems very good.
We'd better paying a little more to buy Jadon Sancho rather than buying Zaha.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The issue with the Henderson debate is that there are two separate groups. Those who don't appreciate what he gives the team, and those who don't appreciate what he doesn't. There's no rational middle ground. Never has been. Same with a lot of players. Now Coutinho was never even that good in the first place.
Well that's nonsense. There are plenty of people who fall into the middle ground on Hendo.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Justin Kluivert had a pretty disappointing season at Roma, but then everyone did. Roma acknowledge their transfer dealings int he summer didn't work out and he is being explicitly named in that group. Maybe it's time for him to go somewhere more nurturing, be around better players. We'll give them 10 million and loan them Wilson for a season :)
No thank you. If his name was van Rijn or any other random Dutch name he would be playing for Utrecht or some team like that. He and Blind are two prime examples for mediocre football players who benefited extremely from their last name.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Lots of posters rightly saying that the squad doesn't need too much adding to it. So, with that in mind - what one player would people add and why?
Still think we should ad Neres from Ajax and Brazil. He is fast, smart, good eye for free players around him and he can score a goal. Besides that, he is still young enough to accept that he will not play every match.

Red Spud

No thank you. If his name was van Rijn or any other random Dutch name he would be playing for Utrecht or some team like that. He and Blind are two prime examples for mediocre football players who benefited extremely from their last name.
I see your Kluivert and Blind and raise you Jordi Cruyff lol

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
I’ve always said the same about Rio Ferdinand.

Had his name been Andrew Dribblethwaite, he wouldn’t have got anywhere near as far in his career.