• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Flobs

FADA
Would you rather be first choice at a team which wins nothing, or second choice at the club that wins it all?*

* with the usual Premier League caveat.
I think you only have to watch Lallana, Lovren, Shaquiri, Mignolet ... when Henderson lifted the cup to know the answer to that.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
He honestly no different/worse than 90% of rappers. If you told me this was 21 Savage or DRAM I would just believe you.
This. And let's keep it in its proper perspective, these are all young men in the prime of their young adult lives making absurd wages most could only dream about, living like international playboy and rockstar. It's probably best we don't know what half of these guys do in their spare time. It's always been this way, we just live in an age where these guys are more accessible via social media and the like.

Sweeting

I wonder if we will go in again for Dennis Emmanuel at Brugge. We scouted him last season and he is now being linked with Arsenal for £12m - which is within the rough boundaries that most journalists believe we are shopping this year.

Sweeting

Never heard of him. I remember that Moses Simon fella, but not this one.
Can't say I've ever seen him play but the story with Arsenal claims he is a versatile CF, 21 years' old and scored 7 league goals this season (12 last season).

Seems like the kind of low-risk squad signing we might make.

StevenAlonso

My player shortlist would be :- Not including Havertz as he is not for sale going by reports of a 80 million pound bid getting rejected.
Dybala/Werner/Pepe/Dembele for the forward line.
Draxler/Fekir/Isco/Coutinho (if the price is right around 50-60 million) for the midfield as i think Lallana will be sold.
De Light - Luxury Signing. De Light and Van Dyk attacking the headers would be a great sight to behold - 60 million is ok at this crazy transfer market but my only concern is his wage. If it falls within our range then he would be a great signing FSG would definitely fund for as he is only 19.

Dave-D

Sessegnon as he’s just rejected a new contract from Fulham and says he won’t be signing one with them.

LB and LW cover sorted in one player.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
1. Sancho
2. Havertz
3. Alaba
4. De Ligt
5. Wan-Bissaka
Alaba is a bit of a head-scratcher. Rest make sense. Robbo has to be one the most consistent LB in the world now and he is 24. What are you gonna do with Alaba? Bench him?

I haven't touched this in a while as I think we are pretty balanced at this point. Really we were one penalty call or a Kompany red card from the double. Best season I can remember watching in terms of our own performance, shamed that the title ended in the hands of cheats.

Havertz has to be a focal point of Edwards.

Depth in FB, Tierney from Celtic. Can play both sides. He will be 3rd FB in rotation, get 20+ games. Leave rest of back line alone for another year. Aint broke? Don't fix

Winger. Primary LW, can cover both. Pretty short list for me, no Barca players on it. Has to be a player who puts team first.

I don't think Pulisic is the best in his position but could be a good fit for us. Sané would be good as well but I doubt City sells him. Zaha would add an interesting dynamic but not sure if he can gel with the rest, bit of a risk of disruption, definitely has the pace and guile and he adds a size dimension but rarely scores with his head for such a tall player. Maybe Brandt, heard lots of chatter but know little about him. Werner still an option?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Alaba is a bit of a head-scratcher. Rest make sense. Robbo has to be one the most consistent LB in the world now and he is 24. What are you gonna do with Alaba? Bench him?

I haven't touched this in a while as I think we are pretty balanced at this point. Really we were one penalty call or a Kompany red card from the double. Best season I can remember watching in terms of our own performance, shamed that the title ended in the hands of cheats.

Depth in FB, Tierney from Celtic. Can play both sides. He will be 3rd FB in rotation, get 20+ games. Leave rest of back line alone for another year. Aint broke? Don't fix

Winger. Primary LW, can cover both. Pretty short list for me, no Barca players on it. Has to be a player who puts team first.

I don't think Pulisic is the best in his position but could be a good fit for us. Sané would be good as well but I doubt City sells him. Zaha would add an interesting dynamic but not sure if he can gel with the rest, bit of a risk of disruption, definitely has the pace and guile and he adds a size dimension but rarely scores with his head for such a tall player. Maybe Brandt, heard lots of chatter but know little about him. Werner still an option?
Chelsea have already bought Pulisic. Brandt is signed by Dortmund. Jovic is going to Real and Werner going to BM next year on free.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Sane is easily the best player available on the market, if only it wasn't our closest competition selling him.

Personally I'd be happy with a player like Tierney (or other left back) and a forward, and leave it at that. If you can add Aouar or De Ligt in there as well as expensive purchases for the future (neither gets in our first 11 yet for me) that would be the icing on the cake.

Since we probably need another backup goalkeeper, Michel Vorm will be transfer free in a few weeks.
He's dreadful. The 2-1 at Wembley was a comical performance from him.

I like the Etheridge link though, he's a solid goalkeeper.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There's a lot of real exciting, top level, young English talent breaking through and I still think we should be the club that really owns that situation.

This summer I'd be working on three players.

First Ryan Sessegnon who is definitely moving this summer and a Liverpool fan. Gives us a half decent LB back up and a good wing option who can be developed under Klopp and hopefully become world class.

Second work on Callum Hudson-Odoi, if Chelsea won't sell this summer work on persuading for a winter sale or a signing in exchange for compensation next summer. If he's not coming straight away utilise Shaqiri and give Wilson a chance to show what he can do for us for 6/12 months before deciding on if either or both of them two need to move on for perm or loan.

Third work on Jadon Sancho find out what the situation is. Klopp doesn't want to spit on his old club but somebody is buying this kid this summer or next summer. As long as we pay a fair price there's no reason it can't be us. Would a Pulisic or Keita style deal be possible or would Dortmund simply accept a flat out sale this summer for the right price?

Along with Gomez, Alexander-Arnold, Lewis, Brewster and Jones we could literally end up with a core of players in 3-7 years going through their mid twenties to late 20s prime all together playing for us and England. It'd be as tightly bonded a group as you could hope to see. In the short term it's plans that are "good enough" as a minimum adding Sessegnon and Wilson to replace losing Sturridge and Moreno but either of the other two could be added now or soon too. But long term all these players would be approaching their peak levels as our established stars (if still with us for at least 3 more seasons) will all start coming to the end of theirs.

Thomas1195

Winger. Primary LW, can cover both. Pretty short list for me, no Barca players on it. Has to be a player who puts team first
LW I can think of Harvey Barnes. He is clearly talented and young, can be a good Mane deputy immediately and can be developed further. Another younger option is Dwight McNeil.

First Ryan Sessegnon who is definitely moving this summer and a Liverpool fan. Gives us a half decent LB back up and a good wing option who can be developed under Klopp and hopefully become world class.

Second work on Callum Hudson-Odoi, if Chelsea won't sell this summer work on persuading for a winter sale of a signing in exchange for compensation next summer. If he's not coming straight away utilise Shaqiri and give Wilson a chance to show what he can do for us for 6/12 months before deciding on if either or both of them two need to move on for perm or loan.

Third work on Jadon Sancho find out what the situation is. Klopp doesn't want to spit on his old club but somebody is buying this kid this summer or next summer. As long as we pay a fair price there's no reason it can't be us. Would a Pulisic or Keita style deal be possible or would Dortmund simply accept a flat out sale this summer for the right price?

Along with Gomez, Alexander-Arnold, Lewis, Brewster and Jones we could literally end up with a core of players in 3-7 years going through their mid twenties to late 20s prime all together playing for us and England. It'd be as tightly bonded a group as you could hope to see. In the short term it's plans that are "good enough" as a minimum adding Sessegnon and Wilson to replace losing Sturridge and Moreno but either of the other two could be added now or soon too. But long term all these players would be approaching their peak levels as our established stars (if still with us for at least 3 more seasons) will all start coming to the end of theirs.
Well, buying Sessegnon = no Lewis, the latter simply will not have game time. Klopp is very accurate in buying players, if he actually goes for Sessegnon, he is unlikely to be a flop, which means any spare game time when Robbo is rested will go to him, not Lewis, not Larouci.

For CHO, he is currently injured and will not return until November, a quite big injury at a very young age.

Sancho, I like him, but Klopp is unlikely to go for him if we actually buys Nicolas Pepe.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Matt Doherty for me as an able left wingback / winger. Better defensive awareness than most of the lot plus the right age too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
LW I can think of Harvey Barnes. He is clearly talented and young, can be a good Mane deputy immediately and can be developed further. Another younger option is Dwight McNeil.

Well, buying Sessegnon = no Lewis, the latter simply will not have game time. Klopp is very accurate in buying players, if he actually goes for Sessegnon, he is unlikely to be a flop, which means any spare game time when Robbo is rested will go to him, not Lewis, not Larouci.

For CHO, he is currently injured and will not return until November, a quite big injury at a very young age.

Sancho, I like him, but Klopp is unlikely to go for him if we actually buys Nicolas Pepe.
How many games do you think we will have next season? I'm guessing it'll probably be around 65. If Robertson is relied upon to start any more than 45/50 of those we won't have been resting and rotating him enough. If we do sign Sessegnon I think he'd be used more on the wing than LB as Klopp develops him and gets him up to speed. Even then I doubt he makes anymore than 30 starts in his first season with Klopp. There will be some game time at LB still, whether that's filled by Milner or Lewis we won't know but Alexander-Arnold has turned into the real deal but still "only" made 7 starts in his debut season. I think there would be a similar number of starts available at LB for Lewis if he earns them.

Wouldn't be buying an 18 year old in the form of Callum Hudson-Odoi for what he could do before November. As a young signing under Klopp he might hardly play by then even if he was fit. And Chelsea might stick it out and we don't get him till next summer anyway even if we do get him.

We haven't signed Pepe we've had a few links will wait till he actually arrives before changing thoughts/plans.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Second work on Callum Hudson-Odoi, if Chelsea won't sell this summer work on persuading for a winter sale or a signing in exchange for compensation next summer. If he's not coming straight away utilise Shaqiri and give Wilson a chance to show what he can do for us for 6/12 months before deciding on if either or both of them two need to move on for perm or loan.
Agreed a £100k contract at the Chavs.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I hope we're in the market for a creative player. Adding another game changer will benefit us. Someone along the lines of Sancho, Havertz, Aouar, or possibly this Bruno Fernandes fella.

Add in a young, pacy left back who Jurgen can develop and we are pretty much sorted I reckon.

Don't think we need to do much in the market, considering we are European Champions :celebrating:

Last edited:

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member

Like the idea of Tierney coming in as full back cover. Quality player and as you said versatile too. Has also covered at centre back for bithe Celtic and Scotland I believe. Rumblings that he is getting to the point where he wants to leave but the only dampener is that I believe he has the confidence in his own ability to want to be a starter

Jamie91

1- Zaha - admired by Klopp and can fit into any of the front 3 positions.

Salah / Brewster
Firmino/Origi
Mane/Zaha

2- Havertz - this guy would be amazing under Klopp and gives us another left footer.

Fabinho/Wijnaldum
Henderson/ Keita/ Milner
Havertz/ Chamberlain/ Shaqiri

The competition in that midfield would be fierce , with only Fabinho as the definitive starter.

3- Jamal Lewis - great competition for Robbo and his pace would fit our system.

We should be looking to add a right back in Jan / next summer , along with another CB to replace Lovren ( unless De Ligt wants to come here this summer)

Outgoing -

Sturridge- £0
Moreno- £0
Lallana - £10mil
Clyne - £12mil
Mignolet - £10mil
Wilson- £20mil
Grujic - £15mil
Camacho- £8mil
Kent - £10mil

Incoming -

Adrian - £0
Havertz- £60mil
Zaha- £55mil
Lewis - £10mil

Thomas1195

I hope we're in the market for a creative player. Adding another game changer will benefit us. Someone along the lines of Sancho, Havertz, Aouar, or possibly this Bruno Fernandez fella.

Add in a young, pacy left back who Jurgen can develop and we are pretty much sorted I reckon.

Don't think we need to do much in the market, considering we are European Champions :celebrating:
About LB, how about Filipe Luis, and use him and Milner to bridge the gap between Robertson and Lewis.