• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Flobs

FADA
Ward Prowse admittedly might not seem good enough now . But I guarantee no one would of expected Robertson to have improved and become probably the best player in the world in his position when we signed him from Hull.

Point being we have a manager who is arguably the best in the world at improving young players especially those who are hungry.
Robertson was very noticeable when at Hull (the only player I did notice when he was there) Ward Prowse is not noticeable at Southampton. I would be very surprised if our analysts have picked up on him.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Was quality in the CL. But what is his best position and where would he fit in at Liverpool?
He's young, he scores goals from the midfield and he's a hard worker. He would be very useful, even as an option from the bench

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Donny van de Beek.
De Ligt, Bergwign and Depay are names often mentioned in here but I thought they were all unimpressive.

Van De Beek looks a good player though, and probably should be starting for this Dutch side. Does he have it in him to be a box to box player? The one thing that puts me off him is the resemblance to Davy Klassen.

treboeth

De Ligt, Bergwign and Depay are names often mentioned in here but I thought they were all unimpressive.

Van De Beek looks a good player though, and probably should be starting for this Dutch side. Does he have it in him to be a box to box player? The one thing that puts me off him is the resemblance to Davy Klassen.
Koeman as a coach, unimpressive players are hardly surprising.

Add a little of Formula Klopp and

jackh1092

Quite surprised VDB didn't start F9 and Depay off of the left instead of Babel tbh!

Don't think any of them look likely to be up to improve our side right now tbh.

liver1

The first priority has to be to replace Sturridge. It has to be someone who can come in for Firmino if hes injured or out of form, and we have confidence in them playing 10 games in a row if necessary.

Ideally it would be someone who could play across the front 3 because Mane, Firmino, Salah really do need a rest sometimes.

It would be good if we could create a situation like our midfield where it doesnt matter what combination we choose , the machine keeps on working as normal.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The first priority has to be to replace Sturridge. It has to be someone who can come in for Firmino if hes injured or out of form, and we have confidence in them playing 10 games in a row if necessary.

Ideally it would be someone who could play across the front 3 because Mane, Firmino, Salah really do need a rest sometimes.

It would be good if we could create a situation like our midfield where it doesnt matter what combination we choose , the machine keeps on working as normal.
Mane is the best back up for Firmino we could probably have next season. So we need a forward that is mostly a fit on the left so Mane can be rested, play CF whilst Firmino is rested or on the right so Salah can be rested.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah, since Shaqiri (if he's not leaving) covers only the right side, we're more in a need for a player who can cover the left. Origi, Ox and Brewster(?) can do it on paper, but it's not really their best positions.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I wonder if we might renew our interest in Inaki Williams or is he potentially too similar to Origi? Probably better through the middle as well which Brewster might be the main option for in competition with Origi next season.

Also, anyone know what's going on with Julian Weigl? He seems to have fallen out of favour at Dortmund and yet not so long ago he was highly coveted. Similar, in a way, to Neves and not sure either of them would fit us but I guess Guardiola will be looking to add players in that position.

When revisiting old links I was amazed that Iker Muniain was still only 26. And no, no I wouldn't have him here.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Weigl's gone off the radar a bit, yes. Dortmund play a double-pivot now under Favre, we'll see if they change it next season with the new attacking signings. Saw him cover at CB in some games. We'll see if he manages to kick on with his career and end up at the top level. Pep apparently wants Rodri from Atletico for that holding role. Inaki Williams is perhaps more comparable to someone like Werner. More raw pace, less hard working/goalscoring nous I'd say. Either plays up top or on the right, not so much on the left.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Ryan Fraser and Sessegnon. Both only have a year left on their contract and both can improve (and probably will under klopp).
Not exactly who I would buy but I can see Liverpool going for them.

Cologne-Liverpool

Also, anyone know what's going on with Julian Weigl? He seems to have fallen out of favour at Dortmund and yet not so long ago he was highly coveted. Similar, in a way, to Neves and not sure either of them would fit us but I guess Guardiola will be looking to add players in that position.
He was linked with PSG (his old manager Tuchel) a while ago, I haven't followed if there's any news on that tbh.
I really like Weigl as a player, his calmness on and off the ball, the passing, his positioning - but I'm not entirely convinced he'd be what we need/what we're after either.

Thomas1195

Ryan Fraser and Sessegnon. Both only have a year left on their contract and both can improve (and probably will under klopp).
I would probably go for U-21/U-23 players if I want a backup option. So, Ryan Sessegnon, Harvey Barnes, or Dwight McNeil

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Danny Rose making noises about leaving Spurs. Would be an excellent signing as cover at LB and there wouldn't be a need for a change in tactics nor a big drop off in what he brings.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Big fan of Fraser. Would like to see him here if he's leaving Bournemouth.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Big fan of Fraser. Would like to see him here if he's leaving Bournemouth.
Yeah I would go for him. He’s not one I would have gone for as he’s gone under the radar and I’d forgotten about him. But he makes sense.
Also goes in line with our ‘prudent’ mentality this summer.

Flobs

FADA
Danny Rose making noises about leaving Spurs. Would be an excellent signing as cover at LB and there wouldn't be a need for a change in tactics nor a big drop off in what he brings.
Rose looks finished to me. He and all with interest in him must be disappoited with his last 2 years of football. Looked good before however he appears to have many problems that we would do well to avoid.

Flobs

FADA
I've no idea, but if your main target is a lumbering mass of flesh, aka Kane, I wouldn't hold it against him!
I don't know how or why Kane got into this discussion but you could do far worst than Kane.
Kane could be a valuable addition to our current squad. At least every time he is interviewed we'd have a laugh like when Hogdson was our manager.

Sweeting

I wouldn't go anywhere near Rose. He's more likely to hang his boots up than move to another club in the top six in the PL.
Yeah the way he talks about football is quite depressing. He seems to hate it after the injuries, managerial fall outs and racial abuse he has been through - this week he was also saying that it has been tough being around the Liverpool players after they lost the final (he didn't blame the LFC lads for it, just saying it was a bit hard).

It is obvious he has completely fallen out of love with football and it would be a bit of a surprise if he continues to play much longer.

Seems to be a theme with Spurs LBs. Assou-Ekotto also hated football.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Agree on Rose, he looks mentally in a bad place. Having him as backup doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all. Especially having an animal like Robbo ahead of him. He'll probably go to a lower level than Spurs (should still be in the PL of course) where he plays regular football to try and regain his love for the game.

Flobs

FADA
Yeah the way he talks about football is quite depressing. He seems to hate it after the injuries, managerial fall outs and racial abuse he has been through - this week he was also saying that it has been tough being around the Liverpool players after they lost the final (he didn't blame the LFC lads for it, just saying it was a bit hard).

It is obvious he has completely fallen out of love with football and it would be a bit of a surprise if he continues to play much longer.

Seems to be a theme with Spurs LBs. Assou-Ekotto also hated football.
Disillusion/ed might be a better word to use. But yes I think your on the right track.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Agree with the above that he does seem to need some professional help and I hope he gets it as he's a good player. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to another top 6 team (or utd!). His performances on the pitch for Spurs this season have been mostly good (imo he was far and away their best player in the CL final).

Red over the water

The ideal choice for left back cover is probably a competent operator, getting older, but still able to come in and do a job if needed. If we sign a player who is in or near their prime years, they are potentially going to look at the prospect of wasting away on our bench and barely playing. If we sign someone who can properly challenge Robertson then we will likely need to spend a lot of money, and you would question the wisdom of that.

So... thinking the whole thing through, I think we will either sign a veteran, like the former Chelsea fella whose name escapes me right now (Luis Felipe?) OR we will bring a youngster through - Johnson or Larouci. And if they aren’t quite ready, we may do nothing for the time being and just patch it up using players already here to tide us over.