• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Arsenal have had a 15M bid rejected by Celtic for LB Teirney,
and they are expected to return with another bid.

As I have already written, he would provide good competition and cover for Robertson,
plus I would rather spend 20M on him, rather than 30 odd million on Junior Firpo,
to provide the same cover!
We brought in Robertson for under £10m and it would look strange to buy a backup for double the price.

Just my opinion.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
We brought in Robertson for under £10m and it would look strange to buy a backup for double the price.

Just my opinion.

I agree,
so i think its strange we are linked with Junior Firpo, with a 45M release clause!

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Why would we be fixated that it has to be "cover" that we are seeking? While Robertson is probably top 3 LB in the world, if not the best, we would not want any player to think they are irreplaceable. If we ever spend 40mil, even if that is the norm now, its not going to be just "cover". It has to be Klopp thinking that this player can challenge and can be as good or even better. If it is just for cover, there would be plenty of players out there to choose from who are just good enough, at a low price and don't mind sitting on the bench most of the time. LB would probably be my number 2 priority after getting in at least one competent challenger to the front trio. And I don't think in that position, Klopp will be looking for just "cover", i think he would rather depend on current options like Milner if he cannot get the player he wants.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I really like the idea of Tierney.

Quality player, think he has played CB to. Think he would be a wise choice.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Why would we be fixated that it has to be "cover" that we are seeking? While Robertson is probably top 3 LB in the world, if not the best, we would not want any player to think they are irreplaceable. If we ever spend 40mil, even if that is the norm now, its not going to be just "cover". It has to be Klopp thinking that this player can challenge and can be as good or even better. If it is just for cover, there would be plenty of players out there to choose from who are just good enough, at a low price and don't mind sitting on the bench most of the time. LB would probably be my number 2 priority after getting in at least one competent challenger to the front trio. And I don't think in that position, Klopp will be looking for just "cover", i think he would rather depend on current options like Milner if he cannot get the player he wants.
I agree that he won't just be looking for 'cover', he will be looking for squad members equally as good for taking on the role of the sitting player. I can see Jürgen going after maybe a couple of players this summer transfer window, but no more than that. I can see him having more reliance on top Academy players, bringing them through as he did TA-A and to a lesser degree Joe Gomez.

cynicaloldgit

Offside by an armpit
Ad-free Member
Players want to play. I'd take Tierney, but will he want to play second-fiddle to the player he plays second-fiddle to already internationally?
First choice for a team in an uphill battle for fourth and facing Thursday nights in the Europa League or a rotational option (he won’t be sitting on the bench every week) in one of the top two teams in the country and the defending Champions League title holders?

Besides, if (heaven forbid) Robertson gets injured, Tierney would get a good run of games.

You decide.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
First choice for a team in an uphill battle for fourth and facing Thursday nights in the Europa League or a rotational option (he won’t be sitting on the bench every week) in one of the top two teams in the country and the defending Champions League title holders?

Besides, if (heaven forbid) Robertson gets injured, Tierney would get a good run of games.

You decide.
No, he'll decide.

Or rather, he won't have to, as no indication we're interested.

rab

Buying Tierney to back up Robertson would be like buying Wan-Bissaka to back up Trent.

They'd never come because they know they'd be second fiddle and we'd never go after them as it would a significant outlay for someone we'd envisage as squad depth.

Far more likely we pick up someone out of the lower half of a continental league I reckon. Seen tentative links to Philipp Max at Augsburg who'd be far more the profile of player is anticipate we'd be after.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Buying Tierney to back up Robertson would be like buying Wan-Bissaka to back up Trent.

They'd never come because they know they'd be second fiddle and we'd never go after them as it would a significant outlay for someone we'd envisage as squad depth.

Far more likely we pick up someone out of the lower half of a continental league I reckon. Seen tentative links to Philipp Max at Augsburg who'd be far more the profile of player is anticipate we'd be after.
Really? Do you have any links?

I name checked him a couple of weeks back simply due to his transfermarkt profile.

rab

Really? Do you have any links?

I name checked him a couple of weeks back simply due to his transfermarkt profile.
I think it was just a throwaway line at the end of one of the Firpo articles. Nothing concrete at all but I did the same as you and thought he might fit the bill as a "versatile left sides player" a couple jounos have mentioned we might be after.

William Clarke

Players want to play. I'd take Tierney, but will he want to play second-fiddle to the player he plays second-fiddle to already internationally?
You're absolutely right @Zinedine Biscan it would be a big NO. Yeah, he's an up and coming player, international as you say, so why would he virtually put a hold on his career? If he goes anywhere it will be to where he is more or less guaranteed first team football.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Don't see how Fekir and Shaqiri are comparable, two different players. But we simply had to buy someone for the forward line. Shaqiri played a bit from the start when we went to two pivots in midfield and Bobby dropped deeper in a role Fekir would play more often (either as a #10 or false 9). In the end, we didn't really get Fekir's replacement but simply used Bobby (he's our key player and I hope we already know by now what Klopp wants from his striker or #10, certain players will never get game time there, it's more fan's imagination) at times in a deeper role. Sturridge tried to do it a little bit (like Wolves away in the cup and a few other games/periods in games), but it didn't work. Origi covered that role behind Salah in the last period in Madrid (was funny watching Klopp going mental over Salah's non existant defensive play when we were on the ropes).
Two things...
Sturridge didnt try too hard to do anything last season, he looked lazy and bored against Wolves.
And Salahs lack of defending "when we were on the ropes" in Madrid??
Must watch that match again, because we were never on the ropes as you put ut.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Two things...
Sturridge didnt try too hard to do anything last season, he looked lazy and bored against Wolves.
And Salahs lack of defending "when we were on the ropes" in Madrid??
Must watch that match again, because we were never on the ropes as you put ut.
It didn't work with Sturridge, yes. Said the last period in Madrid. That wasn't good enough, the rest of the match we were completely fine.

Dave-D

You decide.
Or stay at the club he has supported since he was a child and go for a record breaking 10 in a row and go down as a hero before he leaves. I expect the third option to happen.

RedForever2014

Getting the right depth of quality in your squad is a tough balancing act, as is keeping everyone happy.

But you need similar level quality way beyond your 'best 11' if you want to win things, so you have to find a way.

I don't think it's as black and white as saying that players won't come to be 'back up' players. I think the footballer ego is such that players believe they can take another's place, and if they haven't got that self belief who wants them anyway.

Also, players know that to win things they have to be part of a big and high quality squad, so they accept that competition for places more than people suggest.

Of course it's impractical to have two like for like players in every position. But it's very realistic to have a scenario whereby a best 11 is debatable because there's at least one more quality option in each department.

We have that scenario in midfield and to some extent at centre back, but we don't have any genuine competition at full back or up top, and that's why we need a couple of signings in those positions as the minimum.

People talk about the value for money of having multiple options, but to my mind the reverse is true.

Rotating players of a similar quality ensures your best players don't burn out thus breaking your own assets, and it means you can compete on more fronts (and get more prize money and associated commercial income).

In fact, there is zero value for money in having a player like Moreno on £40k a week and playing 10 times a season because he wasn't good enough to play more. That's £208k for every inept performance, way more per performance than your best players.

Claymenza

Getting the right depth of quality in your squad is a tough balancing act, as is keeping everyone happy.

But you need similar level quality way beyond your 'best 11' if you want to win things, so you have to find a way.

I don't think it's as black and white as saying that players won't come to be 'back up' players. I think the footballer ego is such that players believe they can take another's place, and if they haven't got that self belief who wants them anyway.

Also, players know that to win things they have to be part of a big and high quality squad, so they accept that competition for places more than people suggest.

Of course it's impractical to have two like for like players in every position. But it's very realistic to have a scenario whereby a best 11 is debatable because there's at least one more quality option in each department.

We have that scenario in midfield and to some extent at centre back, but we don't have any genuine competition at full back or up top, and that's why we need a couple of signings in those positions as the minimum.

People talk about the value for money of having multiple options, but to my mind the reverse is true.

Rotating players of a similar quality ensures your best players don't burn out thus breaking your own assets, and it means you can compete on more fronts (and get more prize money and associated commercial income).

In fact, there is zero value for money in having a player like Moreno on £40k a week and playing 10 times a season because he wasn't good enough to play more. That's £208k for every inept performance, way more per performance than your best players.
Clyne was great value for money for the quality and experience he brought.
He makes 70k per week more than what robertson and trent did despite having less game time. Yet when he came on against man united, he looked like he's been playing all season. Explain that.

Versatility is something we should be expect from the experienced pros in the squad. Lallana and Ox will have to up their game either as midfielders and/or wingers to get in the team. Origi had to do this as a striker in the pending exit of sturridge.

William Clarke

Clyne was great value for money for the quality and experience he brought.
He makes 70k per week more than what robertson and trent did despite having less game time. Yet when he came on against man united, he looked like he's been playing all season. Explain that.

Versatility is something we should be expect from the experienced pros in the squad. Lallana and Ox will have to up their game either as midfielders and/or wingers to get in the team. Origi had to do this as a striker in the pending exit of sturridge.
What you say about Clyne is true, but a failing that a lot of people attribute to him is that, unlike Robbo and Trent, he's not very good at crossing the ball into the box as our fullbacks do now.

jackh1092

Twitter dogs are barking that Bruno Fernandes is a likely signing.

from 1-10 how happy would you be + why??

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Twitter dogs are barking that Bruno Fernandes is a likely signing.

from 1-10 how happy would you be + why??
Eh... a 7 maybe? He's done well in Portugal but hard to know how he'll find the step up in quality and physicality in the PL. I'd be hopeful but not exactly dancing through the streets.

William Clarke

There's been mention by John Aldridge saying Coutinho could be on his way back to us. I can't see it myself. The transfer fee would be a sticking point with us and how happy would Coutinho be about coming back here. It's all very questionable.