Who would you buy?

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Not sure about that. But if there are any concerns over who scored, Kane will be claiming it. For sure.
Kane, the poor lamb, still taking stick for being a conniving, greedy and, some might say, cheating barsteward. Upshot was, he still didn't win the golden boot -- SAD SACK.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Well, tbh I think he has never spoken about going to Real Madrid/Barcelona or whatever. He always speaks about going to a big european club and we fit the bill. Also, I think we are in a new reality at this moment. WE are the end club, we will lift trophies for a few years and everybody wants to play for Liverpool. Things are changing, imo. EPL is the best league in the world, there's a fair amount of Brazilians too. Bear in mind that there's no more Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Romário or Ronaldinho playing in Spain and we used to watch Spanish football (Real Madrid/Barcelona) because of them.
Its a fair point, we probably have the most concentrated group of top tier Brazilian footballers in Europe, play lovely football, are winning things, so you can understand why we are becoming a very very attractive destination.

I really hope we continue to use it to attract the best samba stars.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Just out of interest, with Rashford out of contract next summer, if he doesn't sign a new deal, would you sign him for Liverpool (assuming he would accept a wage in line with the club)?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I'd have Rashford at Liverpool in a heartbeat, I never hid that. We as fans tend to belittle him and other Man United players as it is our default setting but he really is something special. It was just a matter of time before Solskjaer recognised that Rashford was much more suitable to build a team around than Lukaku, it's only natural that they want to make him a key part of their side. That said, 250K per week... He's a generational talent, at least in England, but that's too much for a 21-year old, no matter how good he is.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I'd have Rashford at Liverpool in a heartbeat, I never hid that. We as fans tend to belittle him and other Man United players as it is our default setting but he really is something special. It was just a matter of time before Solskjaer recognised that Rashford was much more suitable to build a team around than Lukaku, it's only natural that they want to make him a key part of their side. That said, 250K per week... He's a generational talent, at least in England, but that's too much for a 21-year old, no matter how good he is.

So apparently its 300k a week :shocked:, but yeah I'd have him here no problem , I'd have Martial also. I just think it's crazy money for a hugely inconsistent player as talented as he is, he has so much to work on. When you consider that Mo is on 200k and VVD possibly the next Ballon D'Or winner even less it's just another sign of how well run we are and how much better value we get even in terms of wages.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Just out of interest, with Rashford out of contract next summer, if he doesn't sign a new deal, would you sign him for Liverpool (assuming he would accept a wage in line with the club)?
It would never happen. There's an impenetrable wall between the transferring of players of Manure and us, which is just as thick as the one dividing us from the Bitters. It takes a really strong-willed player to go against the beliefs and wishes of their club's supporters.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Not sure I agree that Rashford is a generational talent (he's good but not quite that level) or that £250k/week is too much for a 21yr old regardless of how good they are (Mbappe's worth paying that and he's 20*).

If we didn't have Brewster I'd happily take Rashford on a free. He's a good player, versatile, quick, direct, got potential for further improvement and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Taking a rare youth player to break through at United for nothing would also be pretty satisfying.

*Nobody's actually worth that but this is the obscene world of football

SadiosMio

How good Lukaku is has been totally forgotten in this one season on a mediocre team poorly suited for him that still he led in goals. He had 59 goals and 19 assists in the PL in the three seasons before that when he was a regular starter. I'll take bets on Rashford to average 20 goals and 6 assists the next 3 league seasons, and score 34+ national team goals as Lukaku also did in 2016-2018.

Man U clearly mismanaged him, but he's a really good player. Assuming he goes to Inter, he could put them back where they should be: in the top two and bothering Juve for top spot, maybe even getting it. And he's still just 26 years old. Man U selling him for 60-70M and in the same year giving Rashford 10M+ in wages (probably total contract value similar to what they'll get from selling big rom) says everything about how they're run. No complaints here.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
How good Lukaku is has been totally forgotten in this one season on a mediocre team poorly suited for him that still he led in goals. He had 59 goals and 19 assists in the PL in the three seasons before that when he was a regular starter. I'll take bets on Rashford to average 20 goals and 6 assists the next 3 league seasons, and score 34+ national team goals as Lukaku also did in 2016-2018.

Man U clearly mismanaged him, but he's a really good player. Assuming he goes to Inter, he could put them back where they should be: in the top two and bothering Juve for top spot, maybe even getting it. And he's still just 26 years old. Man U selling him for 60-70M and in the same year giving Rashford 10M+ in wages says everything about how they're run. No complaints here.
He is good, but I feel like he's a player who will only flourish in a team that's set up to play a certain way. I think there could also be fitness or conditioning issues as he's looking so heavy now and seems far less mobile than he used to.

As to whether it's better if he stays or goes, I think it depends who United bring in to replace him. If it's no-one then good, but if they bring in someone like (for the sake of argument) Icardi, then it might be I'd have preferred Lukaku to have stayed, bearing in mind how ordinary he's looked for them.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
He is good, but I feel like he's a player who will only flourish in a team that's set up to play a certain way. I think there could also be fitness or conditioning issues as he's looking so heavy now is seems far less mobile than he used to.

As to whether it's better if he stays or goes, I think it depends who United bring in to replace him. If it's no-one then good, but if they bring in someone like (for the sake of argument) Icardi, then it might be I'd have preferred Lukaku to have stayed, bearing in mind how ordinary he's looked for them.
And also how awesome Icardi is, amirite?

SadiosMio

He is good, but I feel like he's a player who will only flourish in a team that's set up to play a certain way. I think there could also be fitness or conditioning issues as he's looking so heavy now is seems far less mobile than he used to.

Players flourish in setups that work for them. Firmino would struggle playing for some managers. Trent would have had a hard time getting into the team under a manager less focused on creating pressure from attack.

But Rashford isnt a great build up player either, if that's the complaint with Rom.

The question for them wasn't if Lukaku was a great player, but if he was good enough to be worth starting at man u I this season. I think he was. As for durability, he's missed rather few games in his career so I wouldn't share that concern.

I think they'll have a hard time getting better value for him than they're giving up.

GaryBarlow99

Zinedine Biscan

Players flourish in setups that work for them. Firmino would struggle playing for some managers. Trent would have had a hard time getting into the team under a manager less focused on creating pressure from attack.

But Rashford isnt a great build up player either, if that's the complaint with Rom.

The question for them wasn't if Lukaku was a great player, but if he was good enough to be worth starting at man u I this season. I think he was. As for durability, he's missed rather few games in his career so I wouldn't share that concern.

I think they'll have a hard time getting better value for him than they're giving up.
Wasn't thinking about durability so much, more his weight and mobility. Not sure if it's diet (I'm not going to make a cheap joke about being fat, though), or he's been hitting the weights too much, either way he's been less effective for them partly due to management but also just through that sort of physical change.

Really, I'll be happy if he stays as I think next season, at United, will be more of the same for him (I think Italy would be a good move and he'll probably regain his previous form elsewhere, agree on that), and equally I'll be happy if he goes and they build around Rashford, who I think is good, but not that good. Worst-case really is they sell Lukaku and replace him with someone who'll actually be a good focal point for their attack.

SadiosMio

Wasn't thinking about durability so much, more his weight and mobility. Not sure if it's diet (I'm not going to make a cheap joke about being fat, though), or he's been hitting the weights too much, either way he's been less effective for them partly due to management but also just through that sort of physical change.

Really, I'll be happy if he stays as I think next season, at United, will be more of the same for him (I think Italy would be a good move and he'll probably regain his previous form elsewhere, agree on that), and equally I'll be happy if he goes and they build around Rashford, who I think is good, but not that good. Worst-case really is they sell Lukaku and replace him with someone who'll actually be a good focal point for their attack.
Who can they get to be that though? I don't think there's anyone on the planet they could sign to make them top 2 next year, so if they want to pay out on a 30 year old Aubameyang and make that their next long contract problem after maybe a good year next year, be my guest. Wissam Ben Yedder is 29, that doesn't scare me. Spend 100M on a Griezmann that doesn't really want to play there? Or 50 on Callum Wilson or Ayoze Perez who would? None of that sounds better than Lukaku could be.

They're just not in a strong position right now.

Zinedine Biscan

Who can they get to be that though? I don't think there's anyone on the planet they could sign to make them top 2 next year, so if they want to pay out on a 30 year old Aubameyang and make that their next long contract problem after maybe a good year next year, be my guest. Wissam Ben Yedder is 29, that doesn't scare me. Spend 100M on a Griezmann that doesn't really want to play there? Or 50 on Callum Wilson or Ayoze Perez who would? None of that sounds better than Lukaku could be.

They're just not in a strong position right now.
Yeah, I'd agree with that take. It was a hypothetical really as opposed to a genuine concern.

SadiosMio

Yeah, I'd agree with that take. It was a hypothetical really as opposed to a genuine concern.
Of course, we are only talking about this bc there's nothing going on with Liverpool, because there are so few ways to improve us at the moment. :)

But putting myself in their shoes, selling Lukaku isn't a move I'm anxious to make because there aren't many value added moves available to replace. Fortunately they're in too much of a mess to compete for Felix, Jovic, Werner, etc.

Druss

TIA Reserve Team
Discussing United players here is a new one for me?

Rashford getting £250k+ a week is what you would expect his agent to ask for (especially from United) as hes essentially a free signing. hes a product of their youth set up. They've not paid a fee for him. Just like Sanchez so they'll want similar wages. Ridiculous way of looking at it. But that's just the way it is.

I'd imagine TAA is in for a new bumper contract soon, but some way off that figure. I'd also say between the two players, time will show that we've got the once in a generation player. A future liverpool and England captain.

I'm 100% confident TAA wont become a giant cock and get led down the wrong path, like what is happening with Rashford on social media thanks to his dick head mates Pogba and lingard!

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Mbappe and Tierney in for Sturridge and Moreno would do me. Keep Lovern, Migs and Lallana for one more season.

Red over the water

Rashford is good not great. He may go on to be great but we’re not there yet. Not enough goals, and a bit erratic at times. You can see the components of a very good player though, if it all comes together. Man Utd will probably be chopping an changing for a while yet though, so staying there carries some risk for him in not fulfilling his potential.

I would definitely have him at Liverpool, but agree that it won’t happen. He would be hated, and he wouldn’t want that. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see what becomes of our own Brewster. For all we know he will turn out much better.

RedForever2014

Obviously we've yet to see any meaningful inbound activity, but as we sit here today IMHO LFC's squad is not deep enough to compete on 7 fronts next season.

Defence: we have only seven players after Moreno's departure. Clyne and Lovren might be sold according to reports, whilst Gomez and Matip have been injury prone and we need to see a largely injury free season from both before we can count on them.

Midfield: with Keita not having had a summer off and still carrying last season's injury, Lallana perennially injury prone, Oxlade just coming back from a year out, and Grujic loaned out, the midfield could easily be depleted, especially if midfielders are expected to cover a depleted defensive squad.

Forwards: we have no similar level cover for the front three, none of whom had a summer off. Origi and Shaqiri are back ups, not regular starters for a title contender if called on due to injury or fatigue to Bobby, Mo, Mane.

We have exciting youngsters but it's a huge gamble to use them as the main backups until they are more experienced and proven, especially in a season when we want to better an improved City.

You can't expect the same points total from the same squad, as that presumes other sides will be a similar level to what they were.

With 19 senior players left and possibly two or three to depart, we need new senior signings.

We need a new defender, a new midfielder and a new forward, all of sufficient quality and experience to play a good number of games at the highest level.

I'd be staggered if, having waited a decade to be right up there amongst the go to clubs in Europe, we didn't properly leverage that this summer, especially when it's clearly needed.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Rashford is good not great. He may go on to be great but we’re not there yet. Not enough goals, and a bit erratic at times. You can see the components of a very good player though, if it all comes together. Man Utd will probably be chopping an changing for a while yet though, so staying there carries some risk for him in not fulfilling his potential.

I would definitely have him at Liverpool, but agree that it won’t happen. He would be hated, and he wouldn’t want that. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see what becomes of our own Brewster. For all we know he will turn out much better.

Thing is offering him an inflated £200k+ a week wage,off the back of an average season,isn't the best thing to do,it'll give not only him but everyone else in that squad the thought of being average is now accepted as the benchmark for a reward.What insentive does he now have to push on and get better other than to find it within himself to fight for the club,financially he's set for life and fucked the clubs wage structure up at the same time (not that it wasn't already lol).I love it,long may it continue,fucking idots.