• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Wasnt Spur's squad weaker than ours to start off with though?
Maybe. But my point was that the season before last, they ended on 77 points. I expected them to become even stronger, as they were able to keep all their key players together. In the end, they ended with six points less, at 71 points.

Anyway, I'm drifing away from topic a bit. Whom would I want us to buy?

Limiescouse

I actually thought that the main reason he's been assured of getting minutes next season is because Bournemouth were/are considering off-loading Ake. Since Kelly signed there have been reliable papers linking Ake with a move to City for £40m, I think.
Is Ake Association Trained?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
It maybe too late with Oil Rig Citeh sniffing around with their jingling moneybags.
Probably, would be a slight shame but at the same time there's no indication we're interested. He's not the sort of player I'll lose sleep over missing out on, but given the positions he plays, our needs and his availability (also the fact he's pretty good) mean I think he would have been a good option.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Probably, would be a slight shame but at the same time there's no indication we're interested. He's not the sort of player I'll lose sleep over missing out on, but given the positions he plays, our needs and his availability (also the fact he's pretty good) mean I think he would have been a good option.
He's a decent footballer who could do a job for us. As you say, there's been no indication that Jürgen's interested in him.

SadiosMio

As I have made clear I don't think about whether Keita is talented or not, that for now is Klopp's job as far as I'm concerned.
All I'm saying is that from what I have seen of him he is below Lallana in the pecking order. this is because from the small sample size i have seen of him this last season he got nowhere near fitting the bill for our midfield. He's passing was well below par, he got tackled too easily (couldn't hold the ball up), we couldn't get any idea of his vision because his passing was so poor and defensively he didn't make an impact but one must think from what we saw it's not good enough.
Even if he has talent he's yet to show it and needs to work hard to be taken as a serious contender for the 1st team. That's before considering his injury record which is poor this season and hasn't helped him integrate the 1st team.
As I keep saying I hope he becomes good. It's great to think that because we bought him he must be good and talented however from what we have seen he does nothing to improve on what we already had and what we had has been criticised quite a lot in the past so I haven't a clue why Keita's impact so far can not be criticised.
If you think Keita had a good season for us then I think it's you who has a problem not me Germanred or anyone else who are criticising what they saw from him last season.
Stopped reading at lallana, who will probably be gone in a year.

I can't be bothered with this. Either he will get healthy and be very good, or he won't and Liverpool will be worse for it.

Flobs

FADA
Stopped reading at lallana, who will probably be gone in a year.

I can't be bothered with this. Either he will get healthy and be very good, or he won't and Liverpool will be worse for it.
Stop claiming that people have said things they haven't said then!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Either there's a need, which the club seems to agree on hence interest in Kelly, or there isn't, in which case why try for him?
I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think the recruitment - anywhere on the pitch - works like that.

If a player we like is available, we’ll go for him. I don’t think it’s a case of ‘we need a left back - let’s work our way down the list’.

Mascot88

Admin
Maybe. But my point was that the season before last, they ended on 77 points. I expected them to become even stronger, as they were able to keep all their key players together. In the end, they ended with six points less, at 71 points.
If they essentially traded six league points for a Champions League final, I think it’s understandable.

It’s similar to us the year before. We finished fourth, but got to the CL final - but no way were we the fourth best team in the league.

Zinedine Biscan

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think the recruitment - anywhere on the pitch - works like that.

If a player we like is available, we’ll go for him. I don’t think it’s a case of ‘we need a left back - let’s work our way down the list’.
So we went in for Kelly not because he plays in a position we need to fill, but because we wanted him specifically... and then, as Reddy has said, dropped out of the race once the price rose to £13m?

I don't really get that, doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Firstly he doesn't strike me as the sort of player you make that kind of exception for ("hey, we don't need him but he's available so it's too good to pass up"), but if you accept that in fact he is that kind of player, then why drop out claiming it's too much when it's such a low fee?

Andy Mac

Obvious choice is cover at left back now that Moreno has gone. But I think to really push us on and turn the draws into wins is a goal scoring midfielder who can chip in with 10+ goals a season. Not quite sure who could do that, but we turn a couple of draws into wins last year and we would have won it. Hopefully we get a someone in as I think it would be a mistake to not bring anyone in. Even the old Paisley and Fagan teams brought players in after we won leagues. Keeps players on their toes with the extra competition. We nearly have a complete squad so just that final little push required.

SadiosMio

Stop claiming that people have said things they haven't said then!
Dunno what you are talking about. You clearly said Lallana was favored to keita which at that point I'm just deeming it not worth my time.

Flobs

FADA
Dunno what you are talking about. You clearly said Lallana was favored to keita which at that point I'm just deeming it not worth my time.
I thought you couldn't be bothered with this?

Once again you take everything out of context to suit your agenda.
You mention me in your posts yet can not be bothered to read my replies. That's ignorant!

SadiosMio

I thought you couldn't be bothered with this?

Once again you take everything out of context to suit your agenda.
You mention me in your posts yet can not be bothered to read my replies. That's ignorant!
I can't. I was just trying to figure what you're on about. I still don't know, not sure even you do. But I'm done trying to figure it out. I'll leave you to it.

Mascot88

Admin
So we went in for Kelly not because he plays in a position we need to fill, but because we wanted him specifically... and then, as Reddy has said, dropped out of the race once the price rose to £13m?

I don't really get that, doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Firstly he doesn't strike me as the sort of player you make that kind of exception for ("hey, we don't need him but he's available so it's too good to pass up"), but if you accept that in fact he is that kind of player, then why drop out claiming it's too much when it's such a low fee?
I don’t think we dropped out over £13m. I think it became clear he wanted playing time, and turned us down.

I can’t see us getting beaten by Bournemouth over £13m for a player we really wanted. The story I heard was that Bournemouth could offer Kelly a route into the first team and we couldn’t.

Mascot88

Admin
I can't. I was just trying to figure what you're on about. I still don't know, not sure even you do. But I'm done trying to figure it out. I'll leave you to it.
I’ve had enough of this kind of thing. You’ve been warned time and time again.

Two days off.

Zinedine Biscan

I don’t think we dropped out over £13m. I think it became clear he wanted playing time, and turned us down.

I can’t see us getting beaten by Bournemouth over £13m for a player we really wanted. The story I heard was that Bournemouth could offer Kelly a route into the first team and we couldn’t.
Reddy, who seems to have become close to being an official mouthpiece for the club, made it clear the other day that we dropped out over the price. I remember, because it surprised me. I forget which thread it was in, she posted a big thing on Reddit or somewhere defending her coverage of the transfer window as a whole, and that was part of it.

He might well have chosen them anyway over playing time, but what is basically the official report at this time says we didn't give him a choice to make.

It was this thread:

You replied to it by the way lol:

Being flush with cash and refusing to pay £13m for Lloyd Kelly are not contradictory.

If we didn’t view him as being worth £13m, we were never gonna pay it.
To save clicking on the link, this is what she had to say about the LB spot:

"Lloyd Kelly was under consideration with those at the club thinking he had the ideal profile at Bristol City to join Anfield as a back-up to the influential Robertson.
However, Bournemouth's decision to offer £13million was enough for the Reds to end their interest. Klopp sees Joe Gomez and James Milner - who played in the unfamiliar position for the entirety of the 2016/17 - as dependable deputies for undisputed first-choice Robertson.
The club know finding a player who is capable of operating at a higher level than Gomez or Milner at left-back, but is happy to sit on the bench behind Robertson every week is difficult to unearth.
Liverpool also have promising youngster Adam Lewis on their books and Klopp is keen to offer young talent a chance in the first team if he feels their progress deserves it.
Therefore, as it stands, there are no plans to add additional cover to the left-back position at Anfield for next season. Klopp is prepared to be patient and wait to see if a presentable opportunity opens up to sign a new left-sided full-back. "

And it's this that concerns me. Going back to what I said first of all yesterday, for the odd game fine but it's a huge gamble on Robbo's fitness and I don't want to see 34yo Milner chugging up and down the left flank for long periods of time... having our second-choice CB acting as first backup to both full-back positions is also less than ideal, especially given his fitness record and that although he did ok there at the time he only to my knowledge played about half a dozen games at LB, four years ago.

Last edited:

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Anderson Arroyo in the pre-season squad today. Young full back who can play both sides anyone?

Not sure if he is eligible for a permit this season or not but worth mentioning perhaps.

Zinedine Biscan

Anderson Arroyo in the pre-season squad today. Young full back who can play both sides anyone?

Not sure if he is eligible for a permit this season or not but worth mentioning perhaps.
From what people have said about him I think he's way off.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I wonder if Hoever is going to get minutes at leftback. It’s the obvious route into the 1st team squad for him. Out of all the young defenders I’ve seen he seems the most ready to play

Mascot88

Admin
Reddy, who seems to have become close to being an official mouthpiece for the club, made it clear the other day that we dropped out over the price. I remember, because it surprised me. I forget which thread it was in, she posted a big thing on Reddit or somewhere defending her coverage of the transfer window as a whole, and that was part of it.

He might well have chosen them anyway over playing time, but what is basically the official report at this time says we didn't give him a choice to make.
I can’t remember where I saw it - it was one of the journalists shortly afterwards.

On Reddy’s thing, I’m not sure I buy it. If Lloyd Kelly is someone we think is an absolute gem, I don’t think we get beaten by Bournemouth, and I don’t think Kelly himself is making that choice. The only thing they have is that they are able to get him his game much easier than us.

Zinedine Biscan

I can’t remember where I saw it - it was one of the journalists shortly afterwards.

On Reddy’s thing, I’m not sure I buy it. If Lloyd Kelly is someone we think is an absolute gem, I don’t think we get beaten by Bournemouth, and I don’t think Kelly himself is making that choice. The only thing they have is that they are able to get him his game much easier than us.
This is why it makes no sense to me. But all I can do is take on the most reliable information available and formulate an opinion based on it.

I don't really have much more to add to what I've said already, but for the sake of summing up in one place:

- our second-choice LB left the club
- Robbo looked spent for the final month of the season, and there'll be more games this coming season
- the club tried to sign a lad that plays in that position, it didn't pan out - for whatever reason
- as far as we know, at this time there are no moves in place for an alternative target
- the current accepted position is that we plan to rely on 34yo (in Jan) Milner and Gomez to provide the depth there
- I don't think this is ideal and at best represents a huge gamble on Robbo's fitness
- the reasons I don't think this is ideal is while I think a 31yo Milner was a good alternative to Moreno, I feel like the 34yo version is going to be a huge step down from Robbo, and Gomez is a preferred partner to VVD and utilising him at LB for any length of time will leave us stretched elsewhere (remember Matip and Lovren have had regular fitness issues throughout their time here). He also has very little experience in the role, and that four years ago.

I can still remember the club planning to make Karius no1 last season shortly before signing Alisson so who knows what will happen over the next month. I'm hoping references in other threads to people panicking over a lack of transfer business isn't aimed at me, as I don't feel this is a fair reflection of my position. Which unfortunately isn't left-back.

I'm going to leave it there as I can't really add to that. Hopefully the club does address the issue somehow in the next month. If not, then hopefully our injury luck holds out another season.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I'm hoping references in other threads to people panicking over a lack of transfer business isn't aimed at me, as I don't feel this is a fair reflection of my position. Which unfortunately isn't left-back.
For the record, if my post in the unreliable rumours thread was one of the references, then no it was not aimed at you in the slightest. There's a huge gulf between having an informed opinion about the squad depth and demanding signings based only on what other clubs happen to be doing.

I actually agree with you.

I do think LB depth is an issue; equally I am relaxed about the outcome as I think there will be a solution that I haven't considered yet.

e.g

"- as far as we know, at this time there are no moves in place for an alternative target"

I think this bit may be key. Or not. Who knows?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

And if he excels at Bournmouth we sign him for £40mil and skip the developing (needs gametime) phase. That’s where we are as a club now.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
And if he excels at Bournmouth we sign him for £40mil and skip the developing (needs gametime) phase. That’s where we are as a club now.
That's exactly where we are as a club. We're a tight-knit unit having played all of our league matches with just one defeat. Can you imagine players who we would like to sign looking at that record and saying to themselves they are never going to play their way into our side. All players want to prove themselves and get out onto the park, but how many players would be willing to sit on the bench and get very little to no game time? It's going to be hard for Jürgen and the club's scouting staff to get players in who would be willing to bide their time.

Flobs

FADA
I appreciate your thoughts, and I do hope we add someone.

However, I take issue with the bit I’ve quoted. Moreno wasn’t our second choice left back, and I think it’s a fair shout to say he wasn’t even the third.
At one point he looked like the 1st choice then Robbo came in and he dropped to 4th choice. Just like in a game of snakes and ladders. lol