Spreading the word of St Igor
- Jul 31, 2009
This is why it makes no sense to me. But all I can do is take on the most reliable information available and formulate an opinion based on it.I can’t remember where I saw it - it was one of the journalists shortly afterwards.
On Reddy’s thing, I’m not sure I buy it. If Lloyd Kelly is someone we think is an absolute gem, I don’t think we get beaten by Bournemouth, and I don’t think Kelly himself is making that choice. The only thing they have is that they are able to get him his game much easier than us.
I don't really have much more to add to what I've said already, but for the sake of summing up in one place:
- our second-choice LB left the club
- Robbo looked spent for the final month of the season, and there'll be more games this coming season
- the club tried to sign a lad that plays in that position, it didn't pan out - for whatever reason
- as far as we know, at this time there are no moves in place for an alternative target
- the current accepted position is that we plan to rely on 34yo (in Jan) Milner and Gomez to provide the depth there
- I don't think this is ideal and at best represents a huge gamble on Robbo's fitness
- the reasons I don't think this is ideal is while I think a 31yo Milner was a good alternative to Moreno, I feel like the 34yo version is going to be a huge step down from Robbo, and Gomez is a preferred partner to VVD and utilising him at LB for any length of time will leave us stretched elsewhere (remember Matip and Lovren have had regular fitness issues throughout their time here). He also has very little experience in the role, and that four years ago.
I can still remember the club planning to make Karius no1 last season shortly before signing Alisson so who knows what will happen over the next month. I'm hoping references in other threads to people panicking over a lack of transfer business isn't aimed at me, as I don't feel this is a fair reflection of my position. Which unfortunately isn't left-back.
I'm going to leave it there as I can't really add to that. Hopefully the club does address the issue somehow in the next month. If not, then hopefully our injury luck holds out another season.