• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
And if he excels at Bournmouth we sign him for £40mil and skip the developing (needs gametime) phase. That’s where we are as a club now.
That's exactly where we are as a club. We're a tight-knit unit having played all of our league matches with just one defeat. Can you imagine players who we would like to sign looking at that record and saying to themselves they are never going to play their way into our side. All players want to prove themselves and get out onto the park, but how many players would be willing to sit on the bench and get very little to no game time? It's going to be hard for Jürgen and the club's scouting staff to get players in who would be willing to bide their time.

Flobs

FADA
I appreciate your thoughts, and I do hope we add someone.

However, I take issue with the bit I’ve quoted. Moreno wasn’t our second choice left back, and I think it’s a fair shout to say he wasn’t even the third.
At one point he looked like the 1st choice then Robbo came in and he dropped to 4th choice. Just like in a game of snakes and ladders. lol

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

However, I take issue with the bit I’ve quoted. Moreno wasn’t our second choice left back, and I think it’s a fair shout to say he wasn’t even the third.
But if he was a better player who Klopp could trust he would have been. The fact some of our squad players (who in some cases have left) were unfancied by Klopp who would prefer to play players who were regularly used in other positions instead (Wijnaldum:Sturridge and Milner:Moreno) isn't a positive in my eyes when discussing squad depth. We coped last season, a few really sticky patches and some times when we weren't as convincing as at others. We will travel more and play more this coming season with several of our most important players, once again, not getting a summer off.

MarcusBerglund

We definitely need to sign at least two new players - left back and a versatile forward.

Last season was a very good example. The club improved 3 areas of the field from January to August - VvD, Alisson, Fabinho, Keita and Shaqiri. LFC decided the long term problems with our goalkeepers. Fabinho gave us options not only in midfield, but in defence in emergency /BHA away/, Keita was a typical Klopp signing and Shaqiri had a solid first 4 months for us. Of course in January we signed VvD, a player that improved our whole team and put Liverpool on another level. We spent big and did all the right things and the results were obvious - CL winners and record number of points in the league, only one loss and second behind the best team in England for the last 2 seasons.

If we were alone at the top with 97 points and the second and third teams were Spurs and Chelsea 15-20 points behind us, I'd agree that there is no need to spend big for new players. But we are playing against the arabic oil monster $ity.

I think that we lost the title between January and February. The squad looked visibly tired and jaded at some point. Liverpool were lucky to win at home vs. Palace, but you can expect troubles playing Milner against Zaha /yes, TAA and Gomez were injured at the start of 2018 and missed several matches/, Robertson also had his own injury problems at the and of the season and now it is not 100% that he can prepare for the start the new season at 100% /after his injury playing for Scotland/.

Firmino started only 31 league matches which is a record low since Klopp's arrival. And still that is normal, he played a very long season in 2017/2018, then almost no rest and again training and playing for Brazil at the WC, then new season for Liverpool and an injury in april 2018 missing almost a month /second for the season after Verthongen's brutal foul/. Problem is that Bobby had zero rest, he is playing 90 minutes for Brazil in every game and tomorrow he and Allie will play at the final.
Shaqiri had constant injury problems for the last 4 months of the campaign. Even now he is injured and the club announced that they will check his condition when he is back after a week.

Salah and Mane also played football without a proper rest for 3 seasons /WC in Russia, two seasons playing the final match of the season in Kiev and Madrid and now ACON/.

And during the new season we will play more matches /World Cup - 2 games, if we are going to win it, Charity Shield, European Super Cup. Also last season we went out very, very early in both domestic competitions. A longer run in all competitions with this squad and I have the feeling that we will lok like Spurs in January and February/.

Whatever you say about Sturridge, but he was very important for Klopp at the start of last season, scoring huge goals vs. PSG and Chelsea and played in 18 PL games.

We also have injury prone players and I will name few that miss every season /at Liverpool/ at least 2 months - Lallana, Gomez, AOC, Lovern, Matip. TAA for example started 27 league games and what will happen, if /when/ Gomez is injured again. Who will be his cover? Clyne, don't think so, last season proved that, Klopp let him leave in January and we were left with Milner covering Trent. But Millie will be almost 34 years old at the start of the season. And I don't want to see him playing against Zaha, Sane, Sterling, Rashford, Son, Moura etc.

In my opinion we are looking very good in GK department. Alisson, Mignolet, Kelleher. Even if we sell Migs, there are enough options for cheap and decent replacements.

Defence - four central defenders - VvV, Lovern, Gomez and Matip. Van den Berg and Hoever could be options for league cup.
Full backs - Robertson and TAA. Clyne has one year left on his contract and looks like he will be leaving. I'd prefer to keep him here, ofer Nat new contract, because he can successfully cover both lef and right full back /played mostly on the left for Bournemouth last season, only the first 3-4 matches being played on the right/. If we keep all those players and add a left back, I will be really pleased. For example PSG agreed to sign Guerreiro from Dortmund for 15 mln. euro /12,5 mln. pounds/, the portuges is still 25 years old and is great option not only as a full back, but also as e left midfielder. Sessegnon is available for transfer too, if the club are looking for a younger player.

Midfield - Lallana, Henderson, Milner, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, AOC, Keita. The area where we are best stacked. Quantity, quality and versatality. I don't see a single reason in signing a new midfielder, especially someone like Bruno Fernandes /a very expensive player, who is not an improvement on AOC or Keita in my opinion/. Still we have problems with Keita /injured again after a season of so many injuries/, but still AOC is back and hopefully he will give us his first full career season without any injury problems /he has never started more than 17 games in 8 premier league seasons/.

Attack - Firmino, Salah, Mane, Shaqiri, Origi. That's what we have at the moment. Probably our best three won't be ready for the start of the season against Norwich. Sahqiri is injured at the moment and Brewster has never played at high senior level, coming from the back of 15 months long injury. Wilson could be an option, but I watched him a lot, playing for Hull and Derby and still think that he is not ready for Liverpool and City's standard. We need at least one quality addition in attack helping and competing with Bobby, Mo and Sadio.

That is is it - we are European champions, we ara again attractin for almost every football player in the world. We have money. Our transfer bussiness for the last 6 months brought 40 mln. pounds in the club's coffers /20 mln. pounds for Ings, 19 mln. pounds for Solanke, 2 mln. pounds for Grujic's loan/. 200 mln. pounds won from two consecutive CL finals. We have freed space for wages after Sturridge /120 000 pounds per week/, Moreno /40 000 pounds per week/, Ings /60 000 pounds per week/.

So my expectations are to sign at least two new players /if we keep all first team players/ - left back and a versatile forward.
Sessegnon, Max /Augsburg/, Martin/Mainz 05/, Dani Alves? /an interesting option for us, free transfer, can play on both sides of the pitch, winner and he could be a good comapny to Bobby, Becker and Fab/, Heinrichs /Monaco/ etc.

Forward - Werner /RB Leipzig/, Rebic /Eintracht/, Guedes /Valencia/, Neres /Ajax/, Ziyech Ajax/, Lozano /PSV/ etc.

Andy Mac

I wonder if Hoever is going to get minutes at leftback. It’s the obvious route into the 1st team squad for him. Out of all the young defenders I’ve seen he seems the most ready to play
Morning mate. Isn’t he right footed? I’m sure he played right back when in Holland. If so, would it be wise to play him on the left and possibly dent his confidence if he gets skinned a few times?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor

It's obviously a small selection, but of the five games Robbo missed last season, Moreno came in for him in four of them (Milner for one):

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Morning mate. Isn’t he right footed? I’m sure he played right back when in Holland. If so, would it be wise to play him on the left and possibly dent his confidence if he gets skinned a few times?
Yep he is, but so is Milner, Gomez, Clyne. We aren't talking lots of games, but just the right amount for Robbo to be rested.

My preference is obviously a left footed 19 year old version of Robertson, but in the absence of that (and with Sessegnon seemingly wanting to remain in London) Klopp may look internally to fill a backup position.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yep he is, but so is Milner, Gomez, Clyne. We aren't talking lots of games, but just the right amount for Robbo to be rested.

My preference is obviously a left footed 19 year old version of Robertson, but in the absence of that (and with Sessegnon seemingly wanting to remain in London) Klopp may look internally to fill a backup position.
I feel a lot aren't appreciating the number of games we will play. I'd be surprised if we play less than 60. Even fully fit all season Robertson should probably be rested and rotated making around 40-45 starts at most, Trent same on other side. My ideal choice would be someone who can play both sides to a decent enough level so we don't suffer too much when Trent and Andy are rested. That player wouldn't have to worry about playing time as they'd get up to 20 starts on each side so almost as much playing time as the first two choices. Someone like Henrichs at Monaco could be perfect, he seemed perfect for our needs before the move but hasn't seemingly had a great season there (him or club underperforming though?). Monaco may even be tempted to do a loan with option to buy like they did with Tielmans to Leicester. Give us a chance to get a look at him first.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
It's obviously a small selection, but of the five games Robbo missed last season, Moreno came in for him in four of them (Milner for one):

Left-back is definitely a problematic position for us, but who could we cajole to come in as cover for Robbo? If it's a young, up and coming player, then I think a chance could be taken for a few games on one of our lads, but I just can't see any experienced left back wanting to come in to play a secondary role. I hope we can because we can't rely on Robbo to stay injury free throughout next season. Still, things have a way of working out, and everyone needs a bit of luck in our game.

Sweeting

Although of those four games, Milner was also playing in three of them so couldn't move to LB because we weren't deep in CM at the start of the season.

I think this actually shows the squad evolution over the year. By the time the Porto game came around there wasn't even a question over Moreno playing - it was always Milner.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I feel a lot aren't appreciating the number of games we will play. I'd be surprised if we play less than 60. Even fully fit all season Robertson should probably be rested and rotated making around 40-45 starts at most, Trent same on other side. My ideal choice would be someone who can play both sides to a decent enough level so we don't suffer too much when Trent and Andy are rested. That player wouldn't have to worry about playing time as they'd get up to 20 starts on each side so almost as much playing time as the first two choices. Someone like Henrichs at Monaco could be perfect, he seemed perfect for our needs before the move but hasn't seemingly had a great season there (him or club underperforming though?). Monaco may even be tempted to do a loan with option to buy like they did with Tielmans to Leicester. Give us a chance to get a look at him first.

Personally I'd be ok with him playing the 45 biggest games in league and CL and Milner or one of the youth prospects playing at home to the relegation fodder and domestic cup ties. Same goes for Trent on the other side.

Zinedine Biscan

Although of those four games, Milner was also playing in three of them so couldn't move to LB because we weren't deep in CM at the start of the season.

I think this actually shows the squad evolution over the year. By the time the Porto game came around there wasn't even a question over Moreno playing - it was always Milner.
My counter-point would be that shows how relying on guys who have regular roles in other positions to provide the depth somewhere else stretches us thin elsewhere, and if there are other lads out as well (not hard to imagine given the injury history of guys like Matip, Gomez, Lovren (assuming he's still here), Keita and Ox) with the margins so tight at the top that could prove the difference between winning the league and not. Even best-case it means opportunities to rest Robbo are slim to none, just as they were last season.

I'm repeating myself now, but I can understand the need for the above if money were tight, but it's not.

Since hearing he's comfortable playing on the right as well, and that he's available for £25m, I'd welcome a move for Tierney. Between both flanks he'd easily start a good number of games and leave us stronger as a squad.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
My counter-point would be that shows how relying on guys who have regular roles in other positions to provide the depth somewhere else stretches us thin elsewhere, and if there are other lads out as well (not hard to imagine given the injury history of guys like Matip, Gomez, Lovren (assuming he's still here), Keita and Ox) with the margins so tight at the top that could prove the difference between winning the league and not.

I'm repeating myself now, but I can understand the need for the above if money were tight, but it's not.

Since hearing he's comfortable playing on the right as well, and that he's available for £25m, I'd welcome a more for Tierney. Between both flanks he'd easily start a good number of games and leave us stronger as a squad.
Plus it would fuck over Arsenal. A happy bonus.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Personally I'd be ok with him playing the 45 biggest games in league and CL and Milner or one of the youth prospects playing at home to the relegation fodder and domestic cup ties. Same goes for Trent on the other side.
If we can't find the right player it's better to do that than bring in a badly matched player or negative influence. And no doubt by hook or by crook Klopp will get us through like when we ended up with Hoever and Fabinho playing CB together. But it's not ideal and may get us kicked out of a competition or two next season like it did last season.

Sweeting

My counter-point would be that shows how relying on guys who have regular roles in other positions to provide the depth somewhere else stretches us thin elsewhere, and if there are other lads out as well (not hard to imagine given the injury history of guys like Matip, Gomez, Lovren (assuming he's still here), Keita and Ox) with the margins so tight at the top that could prove the difference between winning the league and not. Even best-case it means opportunities to rest Robbo are slim to none, just as they were last season.

Since hearing he's comfortable playing on the right as well, and that he's available for £25m, I'd welcome a move for Tierney. Between both flanks he'd easily start a good number of games and leave us stronger as a squad.
Not arguing with anything you've saod, I think you're right. I just don't think Moreno was our 2nd choice LB.

Although it is a good position to be in when our biggest worry is who back ups back up is going to be.

Zinedine Biscan

Not arguing with anything you've saod, I think you're right. I just don't think Moreno was our 2nd choice LB.

Although it is a good position to be in when our biggest worry is who back ups back up is going to be.
Indeed, I'd be getting more concerned if we had any obvious gaps in the actual first-XI that didn't appear to be being filled. Obviously we'd be ok even if nothing changed, but I'd hate for a fixable issue to end up the difference between 1st and 2nd.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Reddy, who seems to have become close to being an official mouthpiece for the club, made it clear the other day that we dropped out over the price. I remember, because it surprised me. I forget which thread it was in, she posted a big thing on Reddit or somewhere defending her coverage of the transfer window as a whole, and that was part of it.

He might well have chosen them anyway over playing time, but what is basically the official report at this time says we didn't give him a choice to make.

It was this thread:

You replied to it by the way lol:
It was Reddy who said Kelly chose Bournemouth because of playing time. She said it in her article on ESPN.

Liverpool had hoped to sign Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City to deputise for Robertson at left-back but were trumped to the £13m deal by Bournemouth, who could guarantee more minutes.

The article about us dropping out over the price appeared in the Echo (Paul Gorst).

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Indeed, I'd be getting more concerned if we had any obvious gaps in the actual first-XI that didn't appear to be being filled. Obviously we'd be ok even if nothing changed, but I'd hate for a fixable issue to end up the difference between 1st and 2nd.
Weird thing is that we trust Klopp, Edwards and our scouts to be able to find and buy us a new forward or left-back... but we don't trust them if they believe we may have that player on our books and can make a better player out of them than what we can buy.

That's under the assumption that we know our youth better than we know someone else's. Fair assumption I think.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
If we can't find the right player it's better to do that than bring in a badly matched player or negative influence. And no doubt by hook or by crook Klopp will get us through like when we ended up with Hoever and Fabinho playing CB together. But it's not ideal and may get us kicked out of a competition or two next season like it did last season.
I think you’re right that Klopp will find a way.

Personally, I wouldn’t replace Lovren (if he moves on). I’d be very happy to see Fabinho start ten games at Centre Back - those where he doesn’t particularly need to play as a centre back in the traditional sense. And then you have the two young lads coming through.

Zinedine Biscan

Personally, I wouldn’t replace Lovren (if he moves on). I’d be very happy to see Fabinho start ten games at Centre Back - those where he doesn’t particularly need to play as a centre back in the traditional sense. And then you have the two young lads coming through.
Would agree with this btw. I'm less concerned about our depth at CB, I suspect VDB won't be a million miles off getting some games.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

I always argued that we needed to bring a younger, more robust CB in with an eye for being the Lovren/Matip replacement (along with Hoever).

I could also see the point, if bringing a CB in, in bringing in the best available and if that was De Ligt so be it even if he did cost a lot.

If we brought in a more senior/experienced CB I'd literally be wanting Lovren to call time on his career here and a mutually acceptable sale to a decent club as it would be the best for all involved.

If he moves on now then..... well ok.... probably cope..... but.... well we won't cope with everything.

We've a lot of numbers and quality in central midfield (despite many posters not realising it as there are no goal scoring/offensive playmaker types, a role we don't utilize in Klopps version of 433). So if midfielders need to provide cover to the back 4 we'll probably cope in midfield.

And we've got a versatile CB in Gomez who can cover both fullbacks and versatile mids that are options too along with a degree of academy talent. So we can probably cope at full back with what we have if we need to too.

And Gomez has had rotten luck with injuries and Matip and Lovren are injury prone but we have Fabinho and the two young promising lads in emergency situations so we will probably cope if that's what we go with at CB.

And Lovren is our 4th choice and an expensive asset and we've got good options in 5th, 6th and 7th choice so if he left we would probably cope.

But you can't keep rolling the dice. No further strengthening at full back, Lovren being allowed to leave without a senior CB in, eventually luck will sour on us. Under those conditions a medium length injury to Fabinho practically cripples us. It would mean Gomez needing to be available nearly all the time, VvD, Robertson and Alexander Arnold almost never being rested which could heighten their injury risk. Matip is almost guaranteed to miss significant playing time. We'll have knocks, rotation and few other absences here and there.

60+ games, we struggled this season at times. We played 53 this season. Yes Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Robertson and Matip all ended this season better than they started but that doesn't give you more bodies. Same number of bodies with same chances of injuries. New kid isn't, yet, any better to have in the squad than what we had in the academy last season. Its probably an improvement but that's not guaranteed. Losing Moreno, we had Clyne for half of last season too, losing Lovren as well? There was a point last season when Klopp was going to play Henderson at CB for a game because of injuries but he (ironically) picked up an injury.

We've got the money for transfers, we've got room on the wage bill, its not going to hurt us if senior players see out their contracts and leave for free. I guess I'm just getting worried about how many risks we seem to be possibly taking.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yes, because it is. This is a very simple idea which you are needlessly complicating.
They were lucky. In games against us luck or refereeing errors accounted for them getting more points than they should and us getting less. They went on to win the league by one point. They cheated to build an indestructible, mega squad and have been lucky that sanctions haven't yet affected them too.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
So obvious and yet you didn't accept that it contributed towards City's 98 points but we were lucky to get 97.
Personally, I think city knew exactly what they were doing allowing that ball all but 11mm over their goal line. Luck had nothing to do with it. :D