• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Here's a bit of a left-field idea - would Ryan Kent make a good fullback?

Extremely quick, good running ability, two footed, decent work ethic and fairly strong. Hasn't quite got the game intelligence or final product to be a wide player for a team of our standard but he could be a threat from the full back areas.

It would obviously take a lot of coaching, but plenty of the natural attributes are there.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I wouldn’t have thought thirty games in your first season would be a massive turn off. How many did robbo play ?
Robbo had Moreno ahead of him and finished the second half of the season as starter. In between, he had a number of talks with Klopp about him not starting.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Someone else mentioned it earlier too.

I have not seen enough of him to know, but footballers litteredwith wingers who are now great fullbacks.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I agree with ARD, in my mind your overcomplicating it.

Signing new players isn’t a new thing for European champions, for a player it goes with the territory.

Trent and Robbos positions would have been hunted all their football life.

They’d hardly fade at the prospect of another challenge. They might even welcome the ability to concentrate on focused fixtures.

As for incoming players, we should only be concentrating on footballers who have a bit of faith in their ability to challenge for spots.

I wouldn’t have thought thirty games in your first season would be a massive turn off. How many did robbo play ?
Fair enough, I can accept the differences of opinion.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Robbo had Moreno ahead of him and finished the second half of the season as starter. In between, he had a number of talks with Klopp about him not starting.

Not sure what the overriding arc is here, the situations would never be the same, how could they?

If we wanted a direct comparison as a template we have to follow then someone has to ask robbo to under perform for eighteen months and then we need to sign a fullback from a relegated team.

Jokes aside, obviously no two situations will ever be the same, I get improving on Moreno is fundamentally easier than improving on robbo himself, but that’s not what we are trying to achieve, I would have thought having three fullbacks over sixty games playing for a club that is reigning champions of Europe and went deep into a title race wouldn’t be an impossible sell.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Here's a bit of a left-field idea - would Ryan Kent make a good fullback?

Extremely quick, good running ability, two footed, decent work ethic and fairly strong. Hasn't quite got the game intelligence or final product to be a wide player for a team of our standard but he could be a threat from the full back areas.

It would obviously take a lot of coaching, but plenty of the natural attributes are there.
I like left field ideas sometimes, but in this case, nah, I don't see it. Overall not intelligent enough, also too much of a wild attacking instinct. He's a player who will look to dribble anywhere on the pitch, often too brave for his own good. Maybe just needs calm it down, learn to circulate the ball more before taking on one or multiple players, learn that in that case, he might get the ball back in better (goal-threatening) positions. Exciting to watch for fans, mind, he's really positive in his approach, fast, tries to play with his weaker foot and does have some skills. Had hopes for him when he was playing for our youth sides, looked brilliant for a while. Didn't develop enough in the meantime. I think he'd rather move on to a lower level (even more than Camacho) where he can continue playing regularly in attacking positions.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Any player who turns us down,as they don't see themselves being a first team starter,doesn't deserve to be given the opportunity anyway,as far as i'm concerned.

It's a squad game,as others have posted in here and are better at it than me,i don't know the exact numbers of games/minutes each player would/could get over the season,but for any player with ambitions of winning things or making a name for themselves, would jump at the idea of playing for LFC right now.Our first 11 almost picks itself, but i'd like to see young hungry players come in and want to push themselves to not only get to the level of our first 11 but to get better and force them out,thats the players i want to see come in.

EDIT* Forgot to mention aswell,by having the attitude of not coming to LFC because they won't be first choice,also tells me they aren't mentally strong enough or back their own ability to be better than what we have to force there way in aswell.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Point it out all you want, historically having tonnes of players is not Klopps approach. He has a small close knit first 18 or so with some experience and youth filling in gaps.

How many games does Messi play? Or Ronaldo? Or any great player? They play when fit 99 times out of 100 because they want to, they want minutes to break records, they strive to be the best and will do everything to achieve it.
Klopp likes a close knit group yeah so swapping a season and a half of cover players for one flexible player makes sense yeah?

There are leagues that require less rotation than ours. During his time with United how many games was Robaldo starting per season? Even though he's famous for being one of the most physically impressive players (practically a freak of nature) I still don't think he'd have been starting 50+ games per season during his time there. Certainly not 60+ like some seem to be hinting may happen with some of our players. I'll be surprised if Klopp and the fitness team want to start anyone except Alisson in more than 45 games. They may take the odd risk when they have to that leads to that happening but its increasing the risk of injuries to do so.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Not sure what the overriding arc is here, the situations would never be the same, how could they?

If we wanted a direct comparison as a template we have to follow then someone has to ask robbo to under perform for eighteen months and then we need to sign a fullback from a relegated team.

Jokes aside, obviously no two situations will ever be the same, I get improving on Moreno is fundamentally easier than improving on robbo himself, but that’s not what we are trying to achieve, I would have thought having three fullbacks over sixty games playing for a club that is reigning champions of Europe and went deep into a title race wouldn’t be an impossible sell.
No one is saying it is an impossible sell - just a difficult one.

You brought up Robbo as an example of where we brought in someone and gave him 30 games. I was pointing out that the circumstances were different and that even he wasn't happy with a lack of game time until he got the regular starting birth.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No one is saying it is an impossible sell - just a difficult one.

You brought up Robbo as an example of where we brought in someone and gave him 30 games. I was pointing out that the circumstances were different and that even he wasn't happy with a lack of game time until he got the regular starting birth.
Yet he still "only" started 49 last year and definitely looked leggy at times.

Craig_Johnston

Everyone seems to be assuming that there won't be any injuries all season. If Robbo is missing for a month or two it could completely derail our chances. I like the Tierney option and don't think he'd only get meaningless league cup games. It's quite possible that he'd replace TAA in situations where we need more defensive solidity

melbournered

Any player who turns us down,as they don't see themselves being a first team starter,doesn't deserve to be given the opportunity anyway,as far as i'm concerned.

It's a squad game,as others have posted in here and are better at it than me,i don't know the exact numbers of games/minutes each player would/could get over the season,but for any player with ambitions of winning things or making a name for themselves, would jump at the idea of playing for LFC right now.Our first 11 almost picks itself, but i'd like to see young hungry players come in and want to push themselves to not only get to the level of our first 11 but to get better and force them out,thats the players i want to see come in.

EDIT* Forgot to mention aswell,by having the attitude of not coming to LFC because they won't be first choice,also tells me they aren't mentally strong enough or back their own ability to be better than what we have to force there way in aswell.
What a good post. You're edit is very relevant as well. I would like to add that, we all know the premium that Jurgen places on players having good character.
An ambitious player with that attribute, who is willing to be a team player, will prosper in the culture that Jurgen has developed in his short time with us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not sure why that is relevant. The point under discussion is of the difficulty in bringing in suitable players not in the merits of having said players.
But the argument of how hard it is, I believe, only in the minds of fans. I don't believe any professional footballer would see it that way. A top team in every competition with only 2 players for 2 positions a player isn't going to think "but when will I play"! He'll think "not much competition for places, great manager, good quality teammates and great chance of winning medals....oh and competitive salary too!"!

Robertson got played into the ground, there was definitely talk of looking tired after some games towards the end of the season. That was with him starting 49, could play as many as 20 games more than that. Probably at least 10 more. That's assuming Robertson goes a second season with no injuries, if he gets even a short term injury he won't get as many starts next season as this. That figure really is the maximum.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
But the argument of how hard it is, I believe, only in the minds of fans. I don't believe any professional footballer would see it that way.
Then by extension, you must also think that Klopp and Edwards are not trying to fill that gap, despite the club saying there were trying to?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Then by extension, you must also think that Klopp and Edwards are not trying to fill that gap, despite the club saying there were trying to?
I think we are. I think what the club says and does are not always the same. Its fans that listen to the press releases then argue the wisdom of it and deny the worry the others feel.

Mascot88

Admin
I think we are. I think what the club says and does are not always the same. Its fans that listen to the press releases then argue the wisdom of it and deny the worry the others feel.
Well, the club tried for Lloyd Kelly, so we clearly are in for a left back.

I do think some of the frustrations are bourne in part by a sense of ‘unconcious incompetence’ amongst fans. Not so much here, but certainly out on Twitter, where there is much panic and gnashing of teeth and why don’t we just fucking sign someone!

I do think the club are trying to be opportunistic. Not panic into signing players who aren’t ideal. We might have to wait and be patient. I think the club is looking and keeping track of what is happening, and if the right player becomes available we go for it. But the club is also confident that with Milner and Gomez, and possibly Clyne, we can cover.

Whatever, I trust the club know what they are doing.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Klopp likes a close knit group yeah so swapping a season and a half of cover players for one flexible player makes sense yeah?

There are leagues that require less rotation than ours. During his time with United how many games was Robaldo starting per season? Even though he's famous for being one of the most physically impressive players (practically a freak of nature) I still don't think he'd have been starting 50+ games per season during his time there. Certainly not 60+ like some seem to be hinting may happen with some of our players. I'll be surprised if Klopp and the fitness team want to start anyone except Alisson in more than 45 games. They may take the odd risk when they have to that leads to that happening but its increasing the risk of injuries to do so.
Just to build on this I've only just had the chance to check the figures. Whilst at United Ronaldo didn't start more than 50 games ever. Two seasons he started more than 45. At Juve he started less than 45 probably due to his age even though it is a slower league. Whilst at Real it was about 50% on seasons he started 50+ games or seasons he started less than 50. This is a guy who is famous for being about as physically gifted as it gets and has always been undisputed star everywhere he goes. Still never made it to the realms of 55+ starts even when in Spain where some of his games were walk in the park jobs. In fact the other player famous for always playing and carrying teams on his back Messi has only hit 50 or more starts 3 times in the last 10 seasons. So even in less physical leagues famous for needing less rotation it's still rare for even the very best to get more than 45 starts. As it stands half our ideal starting 11 may need to do it next season to see us through such a fixture heavy year.

rab

Don't buy the "it's difficult to find someone of quality who'd accept being viewed as a backup."

Firstly, we shouldn't be looking for backup, we should be looking at competition.

Secondly, it's a squad game. No one expects that Robertson can start and play every minute of every game. Same with Trent. Arguably, the reason Trent got into the team in the first place was because of injuries to others. Robertson wasn't bought as a guaranteed starter but took his chance when it came.

No one can convince me that there isn't a player anywhere in the world who is 90% as good as Robertson who wouldn't be ecstatic at the chance to come here and compete to be in this team.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Everyone seems to be assuming that there won't be any injuries all season. If Robbo is missing for a month or two it could completely derail our chances. I like the Tierney option and don't think he'd only get meaningless league cup games. It's quite possible that he'd replace TAA in situations where we need more defensive solidity

I am a big fan of Tierney,
but I am not a fan of him at RB, dont get me wrong he can play there,
but he never fills me with confidence when he plays there for Scotland.
(or maybe its just because its Scotland and we are crap)

For me, he's best suited to playing on the left, LB, LCB, LMF or even LCM

he is a very talented player though, fearless.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
[...]
No one can convince me that there isn't a player anywhere in the world who is 90% as good as Robertson who wouldn't be ecstatic at the chance to come here and compete to be in this team.
Then why haven't we signed them?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Then why haven't we signed them?
Loads of our signings weren't made by this stage. Robertson was signed "quite early" on 21st July. VvD for special reasons took an extra 6 months and Keita we had to wait a year for. Alisson was 19th July. Ox wasn't till 31st August.

SadiosMio

I’ve had enough of this kind of thing. You’ve been warned time and time again.

Two days off.
If you're going to ban me for disengaging from people that are trying to make trouble, then it's obvious you have it out for me and you're going to do what you had your mind set on for a while.

It's wrong, but you won't care, as long as you protect your little fiefdom (very little, very few regular posters compared to, say, redcafe, which is much better run and tolerant despite being a manc site) and the people who pay patronage to your fake power, just like you were a fake mascot rightly told by Kenny to fuck off.

Go on then, do us both a favor. I've already proven right about everything I've said here, so my work here is done, really. Pepe, Fernandes, De Ligt...was right about it all. Look forward to the big 2020 signings after a champions league/league double. :)

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Because it's the 8th of July.
Not to mention Klopp is highly particular on targets. Just because we haven't brought a player in doesn't mean we don't want to or that we aren't working on it. If there is a player out there Klopp wants for a position he wants to fill he may well wait for perfect timing even if that is a delay. That doesn't mean there aren't players who could do the job available, wanting to come and at a decent price. But Klopp will ignore those good options if the perfect option is going to be available to him at some point soon.

Mascot88

Admin
Why is it that you ban me every time I block someone? It's like you'd rather let the rabble rousers keep rousing.

If you're going to ban me for disengaging from people that are trying to make trouble, then it's obvious you have it out for me and you're going to do what you had your mind set
on for a while.

It's wrong, but you won't care, as long as you protect your little fiefdom (very little, very few regular posters compared to, say, redcafe, which is much better run) and the people who pay patronage to your fake power, just like you were a fake mascot rightly told by Kenny to fuck off.

Go on then, do us both a favor. I've already proven right about everything I've said here, so my work here is done, really.
Said like a sad bastard, for whom this ‘open an account, lose the plot, get banned’ routine has taken in the dreary monotony of a tired heartbeat.

If only banning you could cure you if this affliction. As is, we’ll just bid you farewell for now, and see you in a while under you 745th new name. And maybe you’ll last a bit longer before you blow your cover by throwing insults and snide a people for daring to have a different opinion about the football.

SadiosMio

Said like a sad bastard, for whom this ‘open an account, lose the plot, get banned’ routine has taken in the dreary monotony of a tired heartbeat.

If only banning you could cure you if this affliction. As is, we’ll just bid you farewell for now, and see you in a while under you 745th new name. And maybe you’ll last a bit longer before you blow your cover by throwing insults and snide a people for daring to have a different opinion about the football.
Still not whoever this is that lives rent-free in your head.

If you ever meet me, you'll know. I'll give you the courtesy of introducing myself before you decide to run or not.

Quite ironic that blocking someone that's being a dumbass to avoid further confrontation to you = "lose the plot". You are really fucking thick.