• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Claymenza

Only problem I have with this link is Real would try and get Mane in exchange and if they didn’t I doubt Liverpool won’t get Asencio
I wouldn't want to part ways with mane. Let's see how Klopp handles this, because there hasn't been transfer activity for the good reason that the nerds are operating silently.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
We're actually in a very weird position when it comes to incoming players. You look at it objectively, ignore personal opinions on players and transfers, who you rate and not, and just look at transfermarkt, the vast majority of our starting 11 are in the top five in their position in the world. (Both fullbacks, VVD, and Salah are the "most expensive" in their position, Alisson, Fabinho, Firmino, Mane are all top five.)

So any player coming in has a lot of boxes to tick. Aside from having the quality to unseat some of the best in the world, they also have to pass the Klopp test - fit the system, mentality, and also the dressing room camaraderie. Just purely in terms of quality, you could count the players on your fingers who'd get into the side who aren't already on our books, and that's not knowing whether or not they'd actually fit/be available.

But the other side of the arguement is, (and maybe playing the devils advocate here),
None of the players we have our team bar IMO VVD and Allison were in the top 5 of their positions in the world.
It was playing under Klopps influence that put them there.

If I was player and LFC and Klopp came calling, and if I had enough confidence in my abilities,
I wouldnt be thinking, I will never break into that first team,
instead I would be thinking.....

If Klopp can make a LB from a relegated team into a world class FB and Champs League winner in 2 years, what can he do for me?
If Klopp can take a youth team player and in 3 years make him a brilliant, full International, champs league winner what can he do for me

the 2 above are only examples of the way Klopp has improved players,
I dare say there are many more examples...

Dave-D

I wouldn't want to part ways with mane. Let's see how Klopp handles this, because there hasn't been transfer activity for the good reason that the nerds are operating silently.
I agree, as good as Asencio can be I’d definitely rather keep Mane.

Hopefully Real go for Neymar and Liverpool can get them over a barrel and take Asencio off their hands

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
But the other side of the arguement is, (and maybe playing the devils advocate here),
None of the players we have our team bar IMO VVD and Allison were in the top 5 of their positions in the world.
It was playing under Klopps influence that put them there.

If I was player and LFC and Klopp came calling, and if I had enough confidence in my abilities,
I wouldnt be thinking, I will never break into that first team,
instead I would be thinking.....

If Klopp can make a LB from a relegated team into a world class FB and Champs League winner in 2 years, what can he do for me?
If Klopp can take a youth team player and in 3 years make him a brilliant, full International, champs league winner what can he do for me

the 2 above are only examples of the way Klopp has improved players,
I dare say there are many more examples...
It also ignores the fact that in modern football you need more than an 11. No "first choice 11" will get you past 50+/60+ games it's just not happening. As a bare minimum you need 15 outfield players who between them cover every position at least twice and are of the same kind of quality levels. After that you could get by with a bit of emergency cover from squad filler types and talented academy prospects. But I'd say we are one real good attacker who can play left forward short of being able to cover every position twice with a top level player. We've got fantastic strength in depth at CB and CM it's only left fullback and left forward we are struggling. So close to being a perfect squad.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We're not 'struggling' as such, we've just got a few options who aren't necessarily fully proven in those positions.
The left back options are either a CM who can do a decent job there but is in his mid 30s. Two promising young talents that I don't think have played any senior professional football yet. We can cope if we have to but its putting a lot of pressure on Robertson to stay fit all season. They are good enough options for cover/rest. Its if he is out for awhile that it may be a struggle. At left forward the only players who can play similar to Mane if he is out are Salah (just shifts the problem to the right), a midfielder like Ox/Shaq (changes our style of play), Origi (who, despite his goals, doesn't contribute much to the team) or Brewster (who still hasn't played a competitive senior game despite his potential). Yet again if Mane is largely uninjured all season we've got options for cover maybe. But Mane is also first choice to cover for Salah and Firmino so all 3 have to go through a long, game-heavy, season all relatively injury free. It's just taking lots of risks. I just don't understand why people are so reluctant to have the kind of cover options on the wings that we have at GK, CB, RB, CM and CF.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The left back options are either a CM who can do a decent job there but is in his mid 30s. Two promising young talents that I don't think have played any senior professional football yet. We can cope if we have to but its putting a lot of pressure on Robertson to stay fit all season. They are good enough options for cover/rest. Its if he is out for awhile that it may be a struggle. At left forward the only players who can play similar to Mane if he is out are Salah (just shifts the problem to the right), a midfielder like Ox/Shaq (changes our style of play), Origi (who, despite his goals, doesn't contribute much to the team) or Brewster (who still hasn't played a competitive senior game despite his potential). Yet again if Mane is largely uninjured all season we've got options for cover maybe. But Mane is also first choice to cover for Salah and Firmino so all 3 have to go through a long, game-heavy, season all relatively injury free. It's just taking lots of risks. I just don't understand why people are so reluctant to have the kind of cover options on the wings that we have at GK, CB, RB, CM and CF.
Yeah, so not really struggling.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I just don't understand why people are so reluctant to have the kind of cover options on the wings that we have at GK, CB, RB, CM and CF.
Mate, I think you’re strawmanning this a bit. Nobody is opposed to depth, and I don’t think anyone had said they wouldn’t want to bring in the right player.

What people are saying is that they appreciate this is hard, and the right player might not be available, so if we have to go into the season with Milner, Gomez, Clyne, Lewis or Larouci as the cover options that’s OK.

I think Larouci in particular has a big chance to impress this preseason, and if he does well then I can see Klopp giving him a chance. It would certainly fit in more with Klopp's ethos. If that perfect player isn’t there, instead of getting in someone who is only ‘alright’, why not use the kid who been trained in the system for a couple of years now? For all the downsides on experience, his familiarity with Klopp’s system is a huge upside.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Mate, I think you’re strawmanning this a bit. Nobody is opposed to depth, and I don’t think anyone had said they wouldn’t want to bring in the right player.

What people are saying is that they appreciate this is hard, and the right player might not be available, so if we have to go into the season with Milner, Gomez, Clyne, Lewis or Larouci as the cover options that’s OK.

I think Larouci in particular has a big chance to impress this preseason, and if he does well then I can see Klopp giving him a chance. It would certainly fit in more with Klopp's ethos. If that perfect player isn’t there, instead of getting in someone who is only ‘alright’, why not use the kid who been trained in the system for a couple of years now? For all the downsides on experience, his familiarity with Klopp’s system is a huge upside.
See I can see the logic of waiting for the right target even if that means 6 to 12 month wait and coping with what we have till then. We did it with VvD and Keita. But there is still a need. Pretending there isn't a need to justify waiting for the right target is what I'm arguing against. We need left back cover and we need left forward cover. If the right guy (from the academy or the market) isn't going to be ready for 6 to 12 months and we decide to make do with what we have (as we did with VvD struggling at CB for 6 months for instance) then I accept that decision. It's better than bringing in the wrong player and not having room for the right player later. But don't pretend and argue that there isn't a need and that we wont be coping without that person. This is the who would you buy thread and a lot of reactions tend to be "don't need" which I completely disagree with. We do need which is why talk of Mbappe 2020 and why it would fit a need.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
See I can see the logic of waiting for the right target even if that means 6 to 12 month wait and coping with what we have till then. We did it with VvD and Keita. But there is still a need. Pretending there isn't a need to justify waiting for the right target is what I'm arguing against. We need left back cover and we need left forward cover. If the right guy (from the academy or the market) isn't going to be ready for 6 to 12 months and we decide to make do with what we have (as we did with VvD struggling at CB for 6 months for instance) then I accept that decision. It's better than bringing in the wrong player and not having room for the right player later. But don't pretend and argue that there isn't a need and that we wont be coping without that person. This is the who would you buy thread and a lot of reactions tend to be "don't need" which I completely disagree with. We do need which is why talk of Mbappe 2020 and why it would fit a need.
I’m a bit confused with this. On one hand you are saying that you can understand waiting for the right player to be available or have developed sufficiently. On the other you are saying people shouldn’t say we need to sign someone.

My argument has always been that we need someone to understudy Robbo - he needs to be not far off that level, willing to play off the bench in the majority of games, have a spot on mentality, not be on mega wages (City cultivate their depth by paying monstrous salaries to their players) and not be too expensive. He has to also be available for transfer.

My concern is that this is a lot to ask, and that player might not actually exist.

Rather than compromise on quality, attitude, or cost, it might be that the most sensible course of action is to look inside the squad at the options there. And there are quite a few. Between Milner, Gomez, Larouci and Lewis there is probably enough cover to go into the season and be OK.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
We are probably okay. Understand why people think why we need to spend to keep up with city... My gutfeel is , they are missing the klopp factor.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Really? Not sure I see that myself. Would say if anybody is likely to replace Milner in the near future it would be Grujic. Woodburn for me is somebody who’s struggling to figure out what his best position or role in a team should be.
Grujic seems to be just a central midfielder though.

What's Milner best position? Does he actually have one? Milner can play loads of positions and that's what I see with Woodburn if he's at LFC in the long term.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers

What's Milner best position? Does he actually have one? Milner can play loads of positions and that's what I see with Woodburn if he's at LFC in the long term.
Milly has always been a jack of all trades

Claymenza

Fabinho is the de facto defensive midfielder. Henderson does that job well too but not as smoothly.

Milner's value is that he's two footed, gets what the coach wants from him, very athletic and always puts in a professional performance in any position.
He could play centre back if you asked him to and do a decent job. I'd argue he's a better player at this age than what gerrard was.

Ox and Keita will take up the other midfield spots. I feel lallana will have to be a backup winger to get minutes.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Fabinho is the de facto defensive midfielder. Henderson does that job well too but not as smoothly.

Milner's value is that he's two footed, gets what the coach wants from him, very athletic and always puts in a professional performance in any position.
He could play centre back if you asked him to and do a decent job. I'd argue he's a better player at this age than what gerrard was.

Ox and Keita will take up the other midfield spots. I feel lallana will have to be a backup winger to get minutes.
Don't ever see Lallana playing as a winger.
He's playing in a deeper central position today, wouldn't surprise me if that is where he plays out the rest of his LFC career.

Claymenza

I’m a bit confused with this. On one hand you are saying that you can understand waiting for the right player to be available or have developed sufficiently. On the other you are saying people shouldn’t say we need to sign someone.

My argument has always been that we need someone to understudy Robbo - he needs to be not far off that level, willing to play off the bench in the majority of games, have a spot on mentality, not be on mega wages (City cultivate their depth by paying monstrous salaries to their players) and not be too expensive. He has to also be available for transfer.

My concern is that this is a lot to ask, and that player might not actually exist.

Rather than compromise on quality, attitude, or cost, it might be that the most sensible course of action is to look inside the squad at the options there. And there are quite a few. Between Milner, Gomez, Larouci and Lewis there is probably enough cover to go into the season and be OK.
Robertson is too young for someone else to be his understudy. When Klopp came in, Clyne was 25 and he took a good look at trent to be his understudy until he became the main guy.

It might just work out well to have a mentor like backup like clyne to both our full backs. Also, he's two footed

Herb

Woodburn doesn’t even have one set position yet though. I can’t see how he has the attributes or physique to play all across the midfield or in both full back positions like Milner can. Maybe he’ll be able to cover a few attacking roles but he’s not even close to having the versatility Milner possesses. Tbh I don’t think it’s possible to replace somebody like Milner with just one player. You’d need a few players to step up and fill in holes they haven’t before.

Flobs

FADA
We are probably okay. Understand why people think why we need to spend to keep up with city... My gutfeel is , they are missing the klopp factor.
We need to spend so that we have something solid to talk about. Nothing more and nothing less. Certainly not youngsters who might make the team one day someone who might challenge 'this' season. Something for TIA to gets it's teeth into. Come on Edwards! :)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Not sure how its confusing. How can you be "waiting for the right player" if there isn't a need for that player to fill? We still need to sign someone just because we are able to cope and wait for the right player doesn't mean we don't have a need that that "right player" is going to fill when they arrive. It's not like we sold a CB and CM when we eventually brought in VvD and Keita. We were coping without them but there was a need for them so when they arrived they were added to the squad. They didn't replace others.