• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Really? Not sure I see that myself. Would say if anybody is likely to replace Milner in the near future it would be Grujic. Woodburn for me is somebody who’s struggling to figure out what his best position or role in a team should be.
Grujic seems to be just a central midfielder though.

What's Milner best position? Does he actually have one? Milner can play loads of positions and that's what I see with Woodburn if he's at LFC in the long term.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers

What's Milner best position? Does he actually have one? Milner can play loads of positions and that's what I see with Woodburn if he's at LFC in the long term.
Milly has always been a jack of all trades

Claymenza

Fabinho is the de facto defensive midfielder. Henderson does that job well too but not as smoothly.

Milner's value is that he's two footed, gets what the coach wants from him, very athletic and always puts in a professional performance in any position.
He could play centre back if you asked him to and do a decent job. I'd argue he's a better player at this age than what gerrard was.

Ox and Keita will take up the other midfield spots. I feel lallana will have to be a backup winger to get minutes.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Fabinho is the de facto defensive midfielder. Henderson does that job well too but not as smoothly.

Milner's value is that he's two footed, gets what the coach wants from him, very athletic and always puts in a professional performance in any position.
He could play centre back if you asked him to and do a decent job. I'd argue he's a better player at this age than what gerrard was.

Ox and Keita will take up the other midfield spots. I feel lallana will have to be a backup winger to get minutes.
Don't ever see Lallana playing as a winger.
He's playing in a deeper central position today, wouldn't surprise me if that is where he plays out the rest of his LFC career.

Claymenza

I’m a bit confused with this. On one hand you are saying that you can understand waiting for the right player to be available or have developed sufficiently. On the other you are saying people shouldn’t say we need to sign someone.

My argument has always been that we need someone to understudy Robbo - he needs to be not far off that level, willing to play off the bench in the majority of games, have a spot on mentality, not be on mega wages (City cultivate their depth by paying monstrous salaries to their players) and not be too expensive. He has to also be available for transfer.

My concern is that this is a lot to ask, and that player might not actually exist.

Rather than compromise on quality, attitude, or cost, it might be that the most sensible course of action is to look inside the squad at the options there. And there are quite a few. Between Milner, Gomez, Larouci and Lewis there is probably enough cover to go into the season and be OK.
Robertson is too young for someone else to be his understudy. When Klopp came in, Clyne was 25 and he took a good look at trent to be his understudy until he became the main guy.

It might just work out well to have a mentor like backup like clyne to both our full backs. Also, he's two footed

Herb

Woodburn doesn’t even have one set position yet though. I can’t see how he has the attributes or physique to play all across the midfield or in both full back positions like Milner can. Maybe he’ll be able to cover a few attacking roles but he’s not even close to having the versatility Milner possesses. Tbh I don’t think it’s possible to replace somebody like Milner with just one player. You’d need a few players to step up and fill in holes they haven’t before.

Flobs

FADA
We are probably okay. Understand why people think why we need to spend to keep up with city... My gutfeel is , they are missing the klopp factor.
We need to spend so that we have something solid to talk about. Nothing more and nothing less. Certainly not youngsters who might make the team one day someone who might challenge 'this' season. Something for TIA to gets it's teeth into. Come on Edwards! :-)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I’m a bit confused with this. On one hand you are saying that you can understand waiting for the right player to be available or have developed sufficiently. On the other you are saying people shouldn’t say we need to sign someone.

My argument has always been that we need someone to understudy Robbo - he needs to be not far off that level, willing to play off the bench in the majority of games, have a spot on mentality, not be on mega wages (City cultivate their depth by paying monstrous salaries to their players) and not be too expensive. He has to also be available for transfer.

My concern is that this is a lot to ask, and that player might not actually exist.

Rather than compromise on quality, attitude, or cost, it might be that the most sensible course of action is to look inside the squad at the options there. And there are quite a few. Between Milner, Gomez, Larouci and Lewis there is probably enough cover to go into the season and be OK.
Not sure how its confusing. How can you be "waiting for the right player" if there isn't a need for that player to fill? We still need to sign someone just because we are able to cope and wait for the right player doesn't mean we don't have a need that that "right player" is going to fill when they arrive. It's not like we sold a CB and CM when we eventually brought in VvD and Keita. We were coping without them but there was a need for them so when they arrived they were added to the squad. They didn't replace others.

Danny_

We still have a problem at LB. Yes, Robbo is one of the best LBs in the world, probably in the top 5 in my opinion. But having watched Lewis for a bit, I don't think he is anywhere near ready. Yes, Milner can do a job there because he is basically superman and can play any position for us but I would much prefer him to be in the midfield. We really need another good LB - it's probably the biggest concern that we have not yet addressed. There is still plenty of time but I hope we don't go into the new season short there.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
We still have a problem at LB. Yes, Robbo is one of the best LBs in the world, probably in the top 5 in my opinion. But having watched Lewis for a bit, I don't think he is anywhere near ready. Yes, Milner can do a job there because he is basically superman and can play any position for us but I would much prefer him to be in the midfield. We really need another good LB - it's probably the biggest concern that we have not yet addressed. There is still plenty of time but I hope we don't go into the new season short there.
Have you watched Larouci there?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Have you watched Larouci there?
I don't think Larouci looks ready either, but he's closer than Lewis. Lewis is really, really good distributing/striking the ball but he's so slight I can't see him making it unless he has a growth spurt.

Milner is really good cover for both fullback positions. With the numbers and quality we have in those two '8' positions (Wij, Henderson, Ox, Keita, Lallana, Jones) there should be plenty of scope to allow Milner to cover for Robbo and Trent.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I don't think Larouci looks ready either, but he's closer than Lewis. Lewis is really, really good distributing/striking the ball but he's so slight I can't see him making it unless he has a growth spurt.

Milner is really good cover for both fullback positions. With the numbers and quality we have in those two '8' positions (Wij, Henderson, Ox, Keita, Lallana, Jones) there should be plenty of scope to allow Milner to cover for Robbo and Trent.
Saw you went to the Bradford game, I totally forgot about it! Saw Lewis mentioned,did Larouci play?

Sweeting

And if the issues go further than that Klopp will just stick Gomez there.

Needs must.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Have you guys totally forgotten about Clyne?!

Wouldn't surprise me if he stays and he would be able to cover both sides very well.

Craig_Johnston

Clyne at left back is more of an emergency option. Might get away with it against lower table opposition, but against quality it wouldn't work. Our only weakness is depth and we clearly need fb cover, someone to take the pressure off the front three and possibly attacking mf depending on Ox's progress.

Red over the water

We’re in the midst of finding out about Larouci and Lewis. If there’s a gap between their readiness and our need, it can be filled in a couple of ways with people already at the club I.e. Milner, Clyne. And that’s before we consider Gomez or Hoever as a left back emergency option.

I would guess we are looking to cover 10 games, max, across all competitions for our back up left back. We’ll be fine if Klopp decides not to buy.

Edit
I think we should, but I’m chilled.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We’re in the midst of finding out about Larouci and Lewis. If there’s a gap between their readiness and our need, it can be filled in a couple of ways with people already at the club I.e. Milner, Clyne. And that’s before we consider Gomez or Hoever as a left back emergency option.

I would guess we are looking to cover 10 games, max, across all competitions for our back up left back. We’ll be fine if Klopp decides not to buy.

Edit
I think we should, but I’m chilled.
Ten games minimum. We could play up to 68 games or something like that if we go to all finals. My guess is between 60 and 65. It would be downright negligent and bad for his future prospects health wise if we are expecting Robertson to be making 50+ starts every season. Eventually it'll end up hobbling him later on in his career even if it goes ok for a few seasons to start with. I'd prefer to have Robertson for a long time and spread his playing time out than cram it all in to a few short seasons.

Red over the water

Ten games minimum. We could play up to 68 games or something like that if we go to all finals. My guess is between 60 and 65. It would be downright negligent and bad for his future prospects health wise if we are expecting Robertson to be making 50+ starts every season. Eventually it'll end up hobbling him later on in his career even if it goes ok for a few seasons to start with. I'd prefer to have Robertson for a long time and spread his playing time out than cram it all in to a few short seasons.
I'd be very surprised if we flogged Robbo to death, and very much agree he needs a back up.

As things stand (if we don't buy anyone) I think Milner will be his back up, for about 7-8 games, and Larouci for perhaps 2-3. If Larouci proves to not be up to the job then with Milner getting older I'm sure we will buy another left back. In the meantime, looking at just next season, we have an old and dependable back up and a fresh and as yet unproven potential back up. And that's without considering other options at the club like Clyne, or possibly shifting Gomez there in a pinch (I don't want to see that) or maybe Hoever in a pinch too.

I do think we need to buy someone, but there are some back up options at the club already we can turn to while Larouci matures and we find out if he's got what it takes.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
Our full backs are SO important to the way we play, it cannot be understated. Right back is OK because we have many right-footed options to play in place of TAA (although none of them have the same offensive threat), but no one at the club can do what Robbo does going forward. We have no other left-footed defenders who can cross. We've seen Milner play there and it became glaringly obvious he did not fancy crossing with his left - he would always pass it in field to a midfielder or back to the LCB. Clyne is decent, but his crossing is no where near as good as TAA's. Without that threat, we become very predictable and one-dimensional. Both are solid defensively, but I'm not convinced we need solid defenders given our CB and CDM/CM covering/defensive qualities. We need a natural left-back or wing-back.

Flobs

FADA
We've seen Milner play there and it became glaringly obvious he did not fancy crossing with his left
We have been over Milner and his left foot sooo many times it's almost boring now.
No way can I go along with this statement above.
It is a problem for Milner to get into those crossing positions on the left due to his lack of speed hence having to use guile by using payers inside and hoping for a dope to miss his movement. However he has shown when given the opportunity he can cross with his left or right foot from the left.
So no he is not like Robbo on the left but he is capable of doing a good but different job.
That doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for other options just that it's not as pressing as to panic, yet.
There have been times when the majority of Milners assists have been made with his left foot so not fancying crossing with his left foot is nonsense. As the player inside him is Mané, Keita or Wijnaldum I really don't see what the problem is with him passing the ball that way is as Robbo himself often does it as well.