• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Trader

We're playing Sporting and a good chance to see Bruno Fernandes. The scum are absolutely terrified that we're in for him. We don't need a midfielder but they don't realise that..
Don't they see anyone with a decent head on their shoulder would always choose us over the scumlol

Last edited:

Danny_

I get the impression that if we bring anyone in, it will be at the end of the transfer window. Sometimes, the best thing to do is just wait.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Everton are to hold talks with Zaha.

That's one I'd be happy for us to hijack - he's a player, and I like that idea of him coming and proving to United that they fked up.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Everton (the club). lol

Think I'd rather have that Everton (the footballer) fella than Zaha at, what, half the price? Looked decent in the bits I've seen him at the Copa.

@Koon, other than LW, what other positions can Everton play?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Although he didn't really feature last year, you'd think Clyne was being considered as part of that 'bank' of full-backs that we'd be going into the season with. With him out I'd really expect us to move in the market for a full-back now. It's gone from an area where the 'getting by' argument is getting more and more stretched.

RedForever2014

Sorry to hear about Clyne, all the best to him. His injuries the past couple of years should be a warning to the club about over use.

So that leaves us with 6 senior defenders, 3 of whom have been injury prone in recent seasons.

Of the 7 midfielders, Lallana will also be out at least half the time, Oxlade and Keita have had their issues too.

Of the 5 senior forwards, the best 11 front three all had little summer rest.

This squad could be really thin quite quickly, and fatigued by Xmas.

Absolutely staggered that we've been so inactive in the market, ahead of a 7 competition season, with a potential Middle East trip just before the crucial Xmas period.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Sorry to hear about Clyne, all the best to him. His injuries the past couple of years should be a warning to the club about over use.
I dont see any evidence Clyne's injuries while at the club were due to over use. How many are you expecting a player to actually play?

In 15/16 he played 52 games
In 16/17 he played 41 games
in 17/18 he played 5 games due to his back injury.
in 18/19 he played 21 games, only 5 or 6 for us though because he had already lost his place to Trent.

Prior to joining us he had a 52 game season at Palace in 2010/11 and then was fluctuating between 30 and 40 games a season there and at Southampton.

Limiescouse

I dont see any evidence Clyne's injuries while at the club were due to over use. How many are you expecting a player to actually play?

In 15/16 he played 52 games
In 16/17 he played 41 games
in 17/18 he played 5 games due to his back injury.
in 18/19 he played 21 games, only 5 or 6 for us though because he had already lost his place to Trent.

Prior to joining us he had a 52 game season at Palace in 2010/11 and then was fluctuating between 30 and 40 games a season there and at Southampton.
Over use leads to injury
Injury therefore means he was over used (and that we need 21 senior usable players).

It's science, man.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Over use leads to injury
Injury therefore means he was over used (and that we need 21 senior usable players).

It's science, man.
If 15 games a season is too much we’re going to need a squad of fifty.

Absolutely staggering we haven’t signed 25 players this summer to enable us to properly compete.

fspencer

Yeah, but I don’t think him doing his ACL in 2019 can really be down to him being overused two years ago.
injuries tend to happen more to the lack of use and then being thrown into the action rather than playing regularly . The ACL injury is a freak injury that can happen from a bad contact with the ground and the weight of the body then going all to cock ( scientific terms )

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I don’t get this huge gripe about needing a massive holiday.. Over the last 3 years the longest break from work I’ve had is 2 weeks for Paternity.

This is their job at the end of the day, they typically have most afternoons off and sports science is at such a high level I’m not 100% sure why players with regular small breaks can’t continue playing for 10 years without major issue.

fspencer

I don’t get this huge gripe about needing a massive holiday.. Over the last 3 years the longest break from work I’ve had is 2 weeks for Paternity.

This is their job at the end of the day, they typically have most afternoons off and sports science is at such a high level I’m not 100% sure why players with regular small breaks can’t continue playing for 10 years without major issue.
mental fatigue is a major reason .

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Yet they dont. None of them. So just because you don't understand it doesn't mean its wrong.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yeah, but I don’t think him doing his ACL in 2019 can really be down to him being overused two years ago.
Did you make similar arguments about Torres, Owen and Agger and the likes later on in their careers after they'd become injury prone?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Not sure how you could compare yourself with these pro sportsman that has to perform at the highest level in their field in both physically and mentally.

fspencer

Did you make similar arguments about Torres, Owen and Agger and the likes later on in their careers after they'd become injury prone?
you have to take the individual case on its own merits . In this instance we are talking about a freak injury ( which an ACL injury is ) and not a recurring hamstring injury .

Steven Gerrard suffered with injuries when he was younger but still played a lot and that didn't stop him continuing to play until he was 35 . James Milner's been playing since he was 16 at professional level but he's fitter than a butchers dog.

some folk are unlucky .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Not sure how you could compare yourself with these pro sportsman that has to perform at the highest level in their field in both physically and mentally.
I perform at the highest level in my field, not physically no but mentally yes. I probably work twice the hours a week they do as well. Their entire week is provided for them, they just need to train as required and look after their health/diet.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Clyne has played literally less than 30 games over the last two years. The idea that he has done his ACL through overuse is simply nonsense.

There was a discussion on rotation on the Anfield Wrap the other day, and that ex manager lad they have on was saying that these lads - your Salah’s, Mane’s etc - can easily play 40-50 games a season. They are that fit. It’s not even like it was ten years ago with Torres and Owen needing regular rotation to stay fit.

And the sports science has leapt forwards as well, so that the staff at the club have a much better understanding when players are dipping into the red and risking injury.

It’s typical of Liverpool fans to look at our season and go ‘yeah, we’ll we were lucky with injuries’ rather than ‘our sport science is bloody good’.

Dutch

Ad-free Member

So that leaves us with 6 senior defenders, 3 of whom have been injury prone in recent seasons.

Of the 7 midfielders, Lallana will also be out at least half the time, Oxlade and Keita have had their issues too.

Of the 5 senior forwards, the best 11 front three all had little summer rest.

This squad could be really thin quite quickly, and fatigued by Xmas.

Absolutely staggered that we've been so inactive in the market, ahead of a 7 competition season, with a potential Middle East trip just before the crucial Xmas period.
We need a fullback and a forward. But that was clear to me before Clyne's injury appeared.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Clyne has played literally less than 30 games over the last two years. The idea that he has done his ACL through overuse is simply nonsense.

There was a discussion on rotation on the Anfield Wrap the other day, and that ex manager lad they have on was saying that these lads - your Salah’s, Mane’s etc - can easily play 40-50 games a season. They are that fit. It’s not even like it was ten years ago with Torres and Owen needing regular rotation to stay fit.

And the sports science has leapt forwards as well, so that the staff at the club have a much better understanding when players are dipping into the red and risking injury.

It’s typical of Liverpool fans to look at our season and go ‘yeah, we’ll we were lucky with injuries’ rather than ‘our sport science is bloody good’.
Isn’t it more that you need to protect players when younger from over-use.. once they hit their prime i.e. 24+ they benefit more from regular game time. Firmino is a prime example, the more he plays the fitter he becomes.