• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

RedForever2014

On a financial note, one of the possible reasons for our inactivity is that we're going to bank profit whilst we can at the current corporation tax rates, in case Corbyn gets in, plus see what actually happens with Brexit and what squad remodelling is necessary as a result of rule changes.

The exchange rate is also against euro purchases just now, and of course there might be a brain drain if there's a change of government and taxation goes up.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
So many theories as to why we've not spent a fuck tonne of money....yet Klopp has himself said why - we have a steady solid team, no need to go and buy shiny new players that won't get a start and cost a bomb. Lots of young players coming through. No loss of any key players, and securing our best on new contracts.

All these theories and online arguments between twitterati and forum users end up in headlines like the daily star claiming "Liverpool fans go into meltdown over inactivity".

Calm down folks....its all good.

Also - fuck off with the "owners are taking £50m out a year" type bull shit. If you think the owners are up to no good after all this time, you are deluded. And yes, it's a business, so they will treat it like a business....deal with it.

Last edited:

auzziez

If I worked beyond 100% of my capacity ( I gave 125-150% beyond what I could normally do) which resulted in my employer earning a healthy profit, I would prefer my employer returned some profit to me as bonus/pay rise.
I wouldn't be elated if my employer decides to use the profit to sign a new team member to bring down my work load under 100%.

And if my employer decides to do so, it would be a red flag for me as now it will be really difficult for me to surpass my previous performance due to the reduced workload.

In short I work with a very small team of 5 members and I have realized that a small but we'll knit team can work a better than a large one where team members goals are not in line.

I can understand why Klopp didn't make any major signing and I think I agree with him without any second thought.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If I worked beyond 100% of my capacity ( I gave 125-150% beyond what I could normally do) which resulted in my employer earning a healthy profit, I would prefer my employer returned some profit to me as bonus/pay rise.
I wouldn't be elated if my employer decides to use the profit to sign a new team member to bring down my work load under 100%.

And if my employer decides to do so, it would be a red flag for me as now it will be really difficult for me to surpass my previous performance due to the reduced workload.

In short I work with a very small team of 5 members and I have realized that a small but we'll knit team can work a better than a large one where team members goals are not in line.

I can understand why Klopp didn't make any major signing and I think I agree with him without any second thought.
Speaking as someone in a job were I'm probably doing the equivalent of two peoples work I'd welcome a reduced workload if it meant I didn't lose out financially. I can still be a good worker and receive the recognition I deserve for doing the job I'm supposed to be doing if I do it well. I'd just be without the stress, the early starts, the late finishes and the occasional going into work on my days off.

Art Morte6

Why not offer Sturridge a new deal? Not on as much money as his old deal, if he declines, fine. But I just don't see why we wouldn't put an offer on the table for him when we have just Firmino and Origi for strikers. Daniel's got quality and his only 30 still.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Why not offer Sturridge a new deal? Not on as much money as his old deal, if he declines, fine. But I just don't see why we wouldn't put an offer on the table for him when we have just Firmino and Origi for strikers. Daniel's got quality and his only 30 still.
We want to give his minutes to Brewster.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Yeah, because when you've got your best team in years and a real chance of winning the biggest trophies, it makes sense to rely on a teenager without any senior appearances over Daniel Sturridge.
Whether or not you agree with giving Brewster a shot, Sturridge would add nothing to our season, he's finished. It's sad to say, but he is.

Art Morte6

Whether or not you agree with giving Brewster a shot, Sturridge would add nothing to our season, he's finished. It's sad to say, but he is.
A guy who is finished doesn't score a goal like the equaliser against Chelsea last season.

If we need a goal in the CL knockout stages or to tie/win a PL game, I know I'd rather bring on Sturridge than Brewster.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Yeah, because when you've got your best team in years and a real chance of winning the biggest trophies, it makes sense to rely on a teenager without any senior appearances over Daniel Sturridge.
You're right - damn giving opportunities to one of the best strikers in the world for his age. If only we'd offered Daniel Sturridge a deal, he could be playing for us instead of...wait...who's snapped up this absolute jaffa that we'd be silly to not offer a deal to? Where's he gone? Surely someone good?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Speaking as someone in a job were I'm probably doing the equivalent of two peoples work I'd welcome a reduced workload if it meant I didn't lose out financially. I can still be a good worker and receive the recognition I deserve for doing the job I'm supposed to be doing if I do it well. I'd just be without the stress, the early starts, the late finishes and the occasional going into work on my days off.
I've done the same as you for quite a while - doing 2 peoples job. A few months ago we finally got some new staff in. The new staff is taking time to get up to speed, so right now I'm doing more than 2 peoples job, as assign tasks, then have to fix the mistakes etc, when I could have just done it myself quicker. Obviously, eventually it fixes itself.

Point of this - it's diff to our own jobs compared to footballers. Also, their requirement to be a close knit team is greater than most of ours in a work environment. The collective goal is also different, and the dynamics. All very interesting

Art Morte6

You're right - damn giving opportunities to one of the best strikers in the world for his age. If only we'd offered Daniel Sturridge a deal, he could be playing for us instead of...wait...who's snapped up this absolute jaffa that we'd be silly to not offer a deal to? Where's he gone? Surely someone good?
If you're saying that Brewster is now the better player than Sturridge, okay then.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
A guy who is finished doesn't score a goal like the equaliser against Chelsea last season.

If we need a goal in the CL knockout stages or to tie/win a PL game, I know I'd rather bring on Sturridge than Brewster.
That was literally his only memorable moment of the season. 2 leagues goals in 18 apps. The guy is almost incapable of moving now.

I wish him all the best, but honestly a big part of me is kinda glad we no longer have this idea that somehow we're fine because Dan's there 'as an option'.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up, he's been a free agent now for a couple of months and doesn't seem to be tripping over offers.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Why not? No one is questioning his ability to shoot, it's his movement and fitness where people are saying he is no longer up to it - and they are key parts to being a player in this side. Brewster is ready for this chance and needs it. We need to give it to him.

Also, Origi has proven himself adept at getting key goals, even if his alround play leaves a lot to be desired. I really dont see what role Studge would play here.

fspencer

That was literally his only memorable moment of the season. 2 leagues goals in 18 apps. The guy is almost incapable of moving now.

I wish him all the best, but honestly a big part of me is kinda glad we no longer have this idea that somehow we're fine because Dan's there 'as an option'.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up, he's been a free agent now for a couple of months and doesn't seem to be tripping over offers.
he was banned from football activity until july 31st and with him being a free agent he can sign for clubs after the window closes . So he's only been a free agent for 1 week .

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
If you're saying that Brewster is now the better player than Sturridge, okay then.
That's precisely what I'm saying. We're not comparing Brewster to a 13/14 Sturridge here, we're comparing him to a player who can barely manage 30 minutes in a Klopp side without breaking down and whose pace has dropped off so much that he's more effective playing in behind our strikers. I think you're seriously underestimating Brewster here whilst Sturridge's goal against Chelsea in a brief cameo has unfortunately given you the illusion that he can continue to consistently make a meaningful contribution. He can't.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
he was banned from football activity until july 31st and with him being a free agent he can sign for clubs after the window closes . So he's only been a free agent for 1 week .
We'll see where he goes. I think there's going to be a big gap between what he'll expect to earn versus what the sort of clubs that would be willing to sign him can/will pay.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a move to MLS.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
No, he's been a free agent since 30 June. He wasn't banned from "all football activity" nor from signing for anyone, he just couldn't play football.

fspencer

We'll see where he goes. I think there's going to be a big gap between what he'll expect to earn versus what the sort of clubs that would be willing to sign him can/will pay.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a move to MLS.
MLS or China if it's purely about money . Will be interesting to see if he can put together a run of games as he was on the bench a lot last season which says he must have been fit .

liver1

Whilst I wasnt expecting any 1st team signings given that theres not really much id want to change, I would have hoped to have seen a couple of back up signings, 1 forward and a full back.

However if theyre pushing Brewster then it usually means Klopp believes hes good enough, like we saw with Trent, Gomez, Robertson, and im happy with that.

Its not like he pushes young players in for the sake of it, we have many many good young players, but given the strength of this squad you only get there on merit.

fspencer

No, he's been a free agent since 30 June. He wasn't banned from "all football activity" nor from signing for anyone, he just couldn't play football.
the FA are appealing against the decision and that effectively bans him from all football activity (you're right legally but in practice its put the mockers on any transfer ). would you sign him and then find he's not allowed to play if the FA appeal is successful ?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
the FA are appealing against the decision and that effectively bans him from all football activity (you're right legally but in practice its put the mockers on any transfer ). would you sign him and then find he's not allowed to play if the FA appeal is successful ?
No chance will the FA be successful in their appeal - but even the existence of an appeal doesn't "effectively ban him from all football activity". He can still sign for a club and play for them in the mean time. If the FA are successful in their appeal (very unlikely) then any ban will be imposed from that point onwards. Such a scenario could be factored in to any deal he agrees with a new club.

GaryBarlow99

Disappointed we are not bringing anyone in but even after Klopp's comments saying it is hard to upgrade the first 11 surely there was a winger out there more suited to playing the Mane or Salah role than Origi?

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Disappointed we are not bringing anyone in but even after Klopp's comments saying it is hard to upgrade the first 11 surely there was a winger out there more suited to playing the Mane or Salah role than Origi?
Obviously not

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Everyone keeps saying that, but these are the guys that are tasked with looking, and have done a good job of it in the past.

To be honest, I don’t think it’s just about finding a player. I think they can probably identify loads of lads who could play as a fourth forward, and offer some cover.

I think it’s also that they have to be available at a reasonable fee. There club were never going to spend 75m on Pepe when he isn’t even close to being as good as Mane or Salah. And they have to be right for the club in a whole variety of different ways - their mentality, their drive, their character etc.

Flobs

FADA
So many theories as to why we've not spent a fuck tonne of money....yet Klopp has himself said why - we have a steady solid team, no need to go and buy shiny new players that won't get a start and cost a bomb. Lots of young players coming through. No loss of any key players, and securing our best on new contracts.

All these theories and online arguments between twitterati and forum users end up in headlines like the daily star claiming "Liverpool fans go into meltdown over inactivity".

Calm down folks....its all good.

Also - fuck off with the "owners are taking £50m out a year" type bull shit. If you think the owners are up to no good after all this time, you are deluded. And yes, it's a business, so they will treat it like a business....deal with it.
Sounds like we have our own little Brexit scenario going on with our club. :Firmino:
So just deal with twitter, forums and the media. :tongue:

auzziez

That's the point. The club would happily welcome new players who would share the work load and at the same time not be a problem financially. But the players available and their price/salary are not only unrealistic, the unwanted salary demands of such players can easily unsettle the current ones. Just look at the United for example in case of player salary.

LFCFFC

Everyone keeps saying that, but these are the guys that are tasked with looking, and have done a good job of it in the past.

To be honest, I don’t think it’s just about finding a player. I think they can probably identify loads of lads who could play as a fourth forward, and offer some cover.

I think it’s also that they have to be available at a reasonable fee. There club were never going to spend 75m on Pepe when he isn’t even close to being as good as Mane or Salah. And they have to be right for the club in a whole variety of different ways - their mentality, their drive, their character etc.
Or they've found the player, he's keen, but for whatever reason he's not available this window and Klopp et al are willing to bide their time for the perfect fit.

It'd be interesting to see where we'd be at now if we panicked after not securing Van Dijk in the summer of 2017 and instead went for someone like Manolas.

I'm not saying it's a perfect strategy and clearly if we're hit by injuries to the front 3 there'll be some significant questions to answer, but there's at least a logical precedent to potentially explain why we've been quiet.