• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Or they've found the player, he's keen but for whatever reason he's not available this window and Klopp et al are willing to bide their time for the perfect fit.

It'd be interesting to see where we'd be at now if we panicked after not securing Van Dijk in the summer of 2017 and instead went for someone like Manolas.

I'm not saying it's a perfect strategy and clearly if we're hit by injuries to the front 3 there'll be some significant questions to answer, but there's at least a logical precedent to potentially explain why we've been quiet.
Yep, it's worth considering where we'd be if we had done that but also where our rivals would be. Van Dijk was being sold. If he hadn't gone to us, he'd have gone somewhere. Had he gone to City it would have been all over. Had he gone to United, Arsenal or Chelsea - they'd be ahead of us as well.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Look, if you are talking about number of players, we have more than enough bodies in the squad as Klopp had said.

So lets see the major concerns the fans have.

Other teams have bought big this summer while we have not, that means they have improved, we have not.

Firstly, buying more players does not mean they have improved. If anything, it might get worse with new players having to learn the culture and style and get familiar with other players. Also binge buying reeks of desperation and bad planning. We won the Champions League last season not because we bought Fabinho, Keita and Alisson last summer. Not just. The team which won it includes Mane and Gini who was bought in Klopp's first summer. It includes Salah and Robertson who were bought in the 2nd summer. And then VVD who came the following Jan window. The win in the CL is a testimony of his principle of building a solid team over time that can stand the test of time and not just for one season. Because of this, it gives me belief that he can coach and improve a CL winning team to a premier league winning one because he believes in building a foundation over time. He did not panic in the 2nd summer just because he did not win in the first season. He did what he thinks is correct, strengthen where is needed. His decision to buy Alisson just a season of entrusting Karius as the first choice keeper, proves that he is willing to correct a situation or position if he needs to. He has also proven that he can make hard decisions when it comes to choosing the best team to play. Fabinho not getting a chance despite calls for every quarter and his decision to slowly bring him in proves correct. Robertson won the MOTM award in his debut vs Crystal Palace and then mysteriously Klopp decided that he should only start 1 match in the following 12 matches and he only came in after Moreno was injured. And look where Robertson is now. This proves to me that Klopp trusts his coaching, medical and backroom team to actually improve the team. It frustrates me at times that many people think that the ONLY way to allow us to make the jump to become PL winners is to buy more players. We are actually disrespecting the value that the backroom and coaching staff brings to the equation. Are we not able to see that what Man City, Man Utd and teams as such hopes to achieve through buying more players, we are hoping to achieve by consolidating our winning team and coach them to higher greatness.

Secondly, how about injuries, how about this, how about that. And its valid. And decisions are not about whether its right or wrong. Its just about that, its a decision that was made. Right now, Klopp feels he has enough bodies, quality bodies. How on earth is he supposed to know how many more players he need to buy "just in case". What if the backup he buys gets injured. Lets buy again? Again with modern techniques, I believe he also is trusting his medical team to do the best possible injury prevention techniques and program. How about bad luck? Tell me then, how do you adequately prepare for bad luck? Buy 11 expensive backups because just in case, we are so unlucky our first 11 gets injured at the same time? I remember Villa ever winning the old league with just 14 players played throughout the season. Luck? Different? Maybe, but you make a decision and hope luck play its part.

All in all, I am just thinking why are we so fixated that the only way for us to win the league is to buy more players? What if we buy big and we don't? Buy again? When should and will this end? And maybe this will turn out badly for Klopp and the team. But he will answer for it with his job at stake. And with what he has achieved with his strategy and beliefs and principle, I think the least he could be afforded by the fans is a belief and trust to stand behind his decisions and that he could do it.

Oh victory will so much sweeter and vindicative at the end of the season. I am excited. Lets look forward to this season.

Claymenza

Everyone keeps saying that, but these are the guys that are tasked with looking, and have done a good job of it in the past.

To be honest, I don’t think it’s just about finding a player. I think they can probably identify loads of lads who could play as a fourth forward, and offer some cover.

I think it’s also that they have to be available at a reasonable fee. There club were never going to spend 75m on Pepe when he isn’t even close to being as good as Mane or Salah. And they have to be right for the club in a whole variety of different ways - their mentality, their drive, their character etc.
There are diminishing returns for buying at the top end to improve our second string.
Klopp went the other way and invested in the third string 17-18 year olds who can be groomed as long as we have 'decent' backups like lovren
We didn't sign a centre back like Deligt because Gomez is more or less of the same calibur worth improving.

Gomez was one of those 17-18 year old signings of 4 years ago.

Last edited:

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Simple question , are we allowed to get a free agent now ? Talking about the cover to Adrian. We don't have any seeing as kamil is on loan , karius is on loan and on the way out.

SithBaare

There are diminishing returns for buying at the top end to improve our second string.
Klopp went the other way and invested in the third string 17-18 year olds who can be groomed as long as we have 'decent' backups like lovren
We didn't sign a centre back like Deligt because Gomez is more or less of the same calibur worth improving.

Gomez was one of those 17-18 year old signings of 4 years ago.
Also even if Gomez has a lesser ceiling than de ligt considering the age factor that de ligt has in his advantage. That's still a 12 year career that Gomez can have with us. And thats huge as per football norm

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Simple question , are we allowed to get a free agent now ? Talking about the cover to Adrian. We don't have any seeing as kamil is on loan , karius is on loan and on the way out.
Yes.

SithBaare

I know Neymar dives a lot but he isn't a goalie.
Yeah. But it's the precedent which has been set by him. As of now, with external sponsorship etc, a player can buy out his contract. Not that I hope it comes to that , but we need a keeper for the worst case. Kelleher if Adrian is injured ? Don't want that to derail this sr
Here is a list with all keepers who are without a club at the moment.

None who are decent backups for a team in our position.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Can someone make a existing keeper buy out his contract and move to Liverpool for free ?

Isn't that what neymar did ?
Got to be unregistered at the start of the registration period. So if they'd bought out their contracts before the transfer window closed I think that we could but definitely not if they do it now.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Here is a list with all keepers who are without a club at the moment.

Vorn would be the "best" option for a 3rd choice keeper but as we have an experienced number 2 in Adrian and a world class, peak age, 1st choice in Alisson a young prospect like Kelleher is fine for 3rd choice. Worst case scenario if both Kelleher and Alisson are going to be out for more than couple of weeks give Lonnergan a 6 month deal as he now has ties with us and probably wont mind being 3rd/4th choice.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Yeah. But it's the precedent which has been set by him. As of now, with external sponsorship etc, a player can buy out his contract. Not that I hope it comes to that , but we need a keeper for the worst case. Kelleher if Adrian is injured ? Don't want that to derail this sr

None who are decent backups for a team in our position.
Players can't buy out their own contract within the protected period (unless they have an express buy out clause) and as ARD correctly states, that wouldn't help us as they'd need to have been a free agent prior to our transfer window closing on Thursday (although I wonder whether the PL have an exception here given that as far as FIFA's concerned our window doesn't close until 2nd September).

We're left with keepers who were already free agents or emergency loans if we lose either Adrian or Kelleher to injury before Alisson's back.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Players can't buy out their own contract within the protected period (unless they have an express buy out clause) and as ARD correctly states, that wouldn't help us as they'd need to have been a free agent prior to our transfer window closing on Thursday (although I wonder whether the PL have an exception here given that as far as FIFA's concerned our window doesn't close until 2nd September).

We're left with keepers who were already free agents or emergency loans if we lose either Adrian or Kelleher to injury before Alisson's back.
Apparently Kelleher has some kind of hand injury? Not seen much. But sure we have other keepers in U23s and U18s to back up Adrian providing Kelleher or Alisson will be back within a few weeks. As others are suggesting Lonergan is around and went on tour with us too.

SithBaare

The rumour is Lonergan will be given a short term contract if needs must.
Was what I was afraid of. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

No one ever thinks that a injury to a keeper will happen, but that's what has happened.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Apparently Kelleher has some kind of hand injury? Not seen much. But sure we have other keepers in U23s and U18s to back up Adrian providing Kelleher or Alisson will be back within a few weeks. As others are suggesting Lonergan is around and went on tour with us too.
I thought Klopp said Kelleher was either already back in training or just about to be?

TBH giving Lonergan a contract until January or whatever would be fine.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I think Klopp said Kelleher is back from injury, but naturally needs a bit of time now. We can field 12 players on the bench on Wednesday, so we might put both Lonergan and Kelleher (if he's even an option). I guess we might sort out Lonergan until then to be on the bench. Maybe we have another, better free agent option in mind. We'll see.

Dave-D

No one ever thinks that a injury to a keeper will happen, but that's what has happened.
He’s at least trained most of pre season with Liverpool so will know the defence in front of him and what’s expected from the goalkeeper in certain situations

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

So the defence needs to pick up that slack and stay solid. No fuck about thinking they've got a superman behind them. Something I feel has been happening during pre-season and the first couple of matches, and not wanting it to become a trend.

edmund96

We have milner who can cover.
Milner would face difficulties when facing players like Zaha down the flank.... Its a pity we could not get Sessengon or Phillip Max. Hopefully we can bring a LB cover in January and Bruno Fernandes

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Milner would face difficulties when facing players like Zaha down the flank.... Its a pity we could not get Sessengon or Phillip Max.
Didn't he faced Messi down that same flank last April after Robertson limped off at half time?

Claymenza

Milner would face difficulties when facing players like Zaha down the flank.... Its a pity we could not get Sessengon or Phillip Max. Hopefully we can bring a LB cover in January and Bruno Fernandes
Maybe but any one else would. Zaha always plays a blinder against us. Are there games against other clubs where zaha goes quiet? Maybe we can nick their full back?

I'm just being pragmatic. If milner does not get many games in midfield with lallana/henderson/keita/ox/fabinho/wyjnaldum....then placing him at full back is not exactly a bad idea as we get good output from him.

Klopp rates lallana and wyjnaldum too much to let them go. If milner was offered a new contract, I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp did so because of his versatility.