• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Was what I was afraid of. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

No one ever thinks that a injury to a keeper will happen, but that's what has happened.
So the defence needs to pick up that slack and stay solid. No fuck about thinking they've got a superman behind them. Something I feel has been happening during pre-season and the first couple of matches, and not wanting it to become a trend.

Claymenza

Milner would face difficulties when facing players like Zaha down the flank.... Its a pity we could not get Sessengon or Phillip Max. Hopefully we can bring a LB cover in January and Bruno Fernandes
Maybe but any one else would. Zaha always plays a blinder against us. Are there games against other clubs where zaha goes quiet? Maybe we can nick their full back?

I'm just being pragmatic. If milner does not get many games in midfield with lallana/henderson/keita/ox/fabinho/wyjnaldum....then placing him at full back is not exactly a bad idea as we get good output from him.

Klopp rates lallana and wyjnaldum too much to let them go. If milner was offered a new contract, I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp did so because of his versatility.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
I was told by Red Bull Salzburg fans that their 19 year old norwegian striker Erling Haland will be the next big thing.
Maybe someone in here knows more about him? norwegian fans for example.
The last former RBS player we‘ve signed is doing pretty well.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I was told by Red Bull Salzburg fans that their 19 year old norwegian striker Erling Haland will be the next big thing.
Maybe someone in here knows more about him? norwegian fans for example.
The last former RBS player we‘ve signed is doing pretty well.

He's not really got going properly yet, but the one before him is going great guns ;)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Going to look at our squad as an exercise to see where we maybe should look to buy and what characteristics we would need if we do whilst taking account of prospective options from within the squad that could mean we dont need to.

Sorry to anyone not interested as this will probably be a long post so feel free to skip past it.

Breaking each position down to;

"First options" these are players we don't mind playing week in week out in those roles.

"Cover" down the pecking order but are an option for this position.

"Prospects" players who can offer various levels of option for the role but maybe not ready to be a main choice yet (some therefore on loan) but maybe could be.

"Emergency Cover" only to be used in this role in an injury crisis or such. These options do show our versatility within the squad though.

GK; First choice Alisson, Cover Adrian, Prospects Kelleher and Grabara. Emergency cover could consider any of the other youth keepers and possibly Lonergan if he is given a short term deal. Summary we have enough quality and numbers there are no current concerns here.

CB; First choice VvD, Gomez and Matip. Cover Lovren (if staying). Prospects Hoever and VdB. Emergency cover Fabinho. On paper we have the quality and more than enough quantity. In practice Matip, Lovren (who may still leave) and possibly Gomez could be considered unreliable with their availability. We have plenty of strength in depth though so should cope but need a prospect to be ready to step up to cover by the time Lovren and/or Matip move on.

RB; First choice is Alexander-Arnold with Gomez still in with a shout as consideration but if not then he is cover. Prospect is Hoever but maybe more in the academy. Emergency cover take your pick from Fabinho, Henderson, Milner and Ox all able to do well enough in the role if needed. Only slight concern is Gomez should really be focusing on becoming a top level CB and his apparent availability issues maybe we could do with someone here but would be a waste if that player only played RB.

LB; first choice Robertson. Cover could maybe argue Milner as cover or emergency cover, due to his age and not wanting to play the position I'd argue Emergency cover along with Henderson, Ox and Gomez. Prospects you have Larouci and Lewis. Depending on the development of Larouci and Lewis along with whether Milner can be considered cover or only emergency cover determines how much need there is here but I'd say a player who can play LB as one of his positions is probably needed.

Holding midfield; First choices Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum. Cover not really needed as plenty able to start. Prospect would maybe be Lewis or Grujic? Emergency cover would seemingly be Lallana and maybe Alexander-Arnold or Milner? Nothing required here with a top quality player and two good options not many others are likely to get a chance here unless Klopp is seeing an opportunity to develop a player who could become special.

CM (2 box to box or 'number 8' roles); First choice Henderson, Keita, Wijnaldum, Ox. Cover Milner, Shaqiri (?) and Lallana. Prospects Jones, Woodburn (?), Wilson (?), Grujic? Emergency cover Firmino, Fabinho, Alexander-Arnold and maybe Mane? We have numbers and quality here. We don't have any real playmaker types unless Wilson or Shaqiri end up here but the way Klopp uses his midfield theres a lot of work to be done and a pure playmaker wouldn't fit in. Maybe a top quality CM who can do the work of a Klopp CM whilst also being a playmaker could be accommodated but a few half options like Milner and Lallana would probably need to leave to make room. If Eriksen does go leave Spurs on a free next summer he'd be an amazing pick up but will there be room and a need for him?

RF; First choice Salah or Mane. Cover Shaqiri. Prospects Kent (?), Wilson (?), Woodburn (?), Elliot and Brewster. Emergency cover Origi and Ox. It's a shame we don't have a more "like for like" option than Shaqiri but generally speaking there isn't much or any need to look at this position as either Salah or Mane can offer a world class starting option and we have a lot of interesting prospects who could maybe become options here too.

LF; First choice Mane. Cover maybe Origi? Prospects Kent (?), Wilson (?), Woodburn (?), Elliot and Brewster. Emergency cover Shaqiri (?), Ox (?) and Lallana. We have some quality here and some prospects that could come good in this position but nowhere near the strength that we have on the right. A real good LF option also frees Mane up as he is our second best option at RF and CF but we can't currently use him there much as there aren't many options on the left. Maybe Klopp can work a miracle on Origi and do a late development boost on him? Short of a miracle though someone is needed here.

CF; First choices Firmino, Mane and Salah. Cover Origi and Brewster. Prospects (I'm assuming Brewster is beyond this level) maybe Woodburn, Wilson or Kent could be developed into a Firmino style CF/false 9? Emergency cover Shaqiri? In reality never likely to need to turn to emergency situations here as 3 world class options and a couple of other (more direct) developing options like Origi and Brewster. No need for incoming players unless it's to cover outgoing players (maybe Origi if he wants to start elsewhere but Brewster may have developed enough to not need a new face if that happens, especially if we are stronger at LF so Mane can be an option at CF more often).

In summary of an over long post the needs I can see us maybe having are;

LF, this needs to be someone top class able to play most games. Only a miraculous set of circumstances could stop us needing this player.

Versatile player who can play LB and (preferably) RB, this player may not be needed depending on the development of kids like Larouci, Lewis and Hoever over the next year. Also how content Milner is to cover FB and how long he is going to stay here impacts this recruitment decision.

Attacking (playmaking) centre mid, there would need to be room made for him but if a player who can add creativity without diminishing the CM work Klopp has carried out can be found it could help us kick on even further. Over the next year a player like Wijnaldum, Henderson or Keita may decide to move on and Lallana may do too. If there is room and if the right target can be brought in then it could be a great situation.

Centre Back, depending on how soon Matip and/or Lovren move on our prospects may not be ready to step up and replace one or both of them. We may find ourselves needing to bring someone in. Especially if Hoever ends up more a FB prospect then CB.

I'd say in many roles our squad is the best in Europe and there are only a couple of places where we dont have the depth we really require. But that is definitely something our recruitment team is good enough to fix and depending on how this season goes (and a couple of players development) it may take as little as a single signing next year to make the squad a complete dream come true in every position. All done the right way unlike City that have spent hundreds of millions on full backs alone and we still have better starters.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Going to look at our squad as an exercise to see where we maybe should look to buy and what characteristics we would need if we do whilst taking account of prospective options from within the squad that could mean we dont need to.

-SNIP-
Mostly agree aside from I think you've under-rated Origi a bit, not enough to class him as a starter at LF under your ratings, but certainly enough to remove the 'maybe' and question mark.

I thought he did very well on Friday night, and if he can maintain that level on a consistent basis he'd certainly be worthy back-up to Mane in that role. The guy's got talent, the only question is consistency.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Mostly agree aside from I think you've under-rated Origi a bit, not enough to class him as a starter at LF under your ratings, but certainly enough to remove the 'maybe' and question mark.

I thought he did very well on Friday night, and if he can maintain that level on a consistent basis he'd certainly be worthy back-up to Mane in that role. The guy's got talent, the only question is consistency.
He was a lot more promising on Friday which is the reason I think there is a chance Klopp could still progress him into what we need. But this isn't a new signing or a kid fresh out the academy he has been a main member of the squad under Klopp before. He was put up for sale for a reason and I dont think Klopp believes he has what it takes after working with him for 18 months. I'm not saying there is no chance but when you look at RF Salah/Mane and CF Firmino/Mane then LF Mane/Origi is never likely to get to that level. That puts him in the same category as Shaqiri on the right at best. RF Shaqiri/Brewster, CF Origi/Brewster, LF Origi/Brewster as the cover options isn't ideal but workable for now (as there is not much choice till Jan earliest). We have got 6 to 12 months to find out what can be achieved with those 3 before any decisions are made but if we did bring in a top level talent to share LF with Mane and Brewster develops as expected I'm not sure Origi would be needed once again. Harsh but our forwards need to do and offer more than just goals. He showed signs on Friday let's see where it takes him.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
He was a lot more promising on Friday which is the reason I think there is a chance Klopp could still progress him into what we need. But this isn't a new signing or a kid fresh out the academy he has been a main member of the squad under Klopp before. He was put up for sale for a reason and I dont think Klopp believes he has what it takes after working with him for 18 months. I'm not saying there is no chance but when you look at RF Salah/Mane and CF Firmino/Mane then LF Mane/Origi is never likely to get to that level. That puts him in the same category as Shaqiri on the right at best. RF Shaqiri/Brewster, CF Origi/Brewster, LF Origi/Brewster as the cover options isn't ideal but workable for now (as there is not much choice till Jan earliest). We have got 6 to 12 months to find out what can be achieved with those 3 before any decisions are made but if we did bring in a top level talent to share LF with Mane and Brewster develops as expected I'm not sure Origi would be needed once again. Harsh but our forwards need to do and offer more than just goals. He showed signs on Friday let's see where it takes him.
Yeah, but Shaqiri on the right didn't get a 'maybe' and a question mark ;)

You're right, I'd put them at the same level and not saying we should aim to add another strong option there if the right opportunity arises, but as it stands he's viable cover for the role.

Things can change in football, if Klopp still wanted to sell him he wouldn't have been offered a new long-term contract.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yeah, but Shaqiri on the right didn't get a 'maybe' and a question mark

You're right, I'd put them at the same level and not saying we should aim to add another strong option there if the right opportunity arises, but as it stands he's viable cover for the role.

Things can change in football, if Klopp still wanted to sell him he wouldn't have been offered a new long-term contract.
He would if Klopp knew he wasnt going to get his target/targets till next summer and have to make do with what he already had (which includes Origi) for another year and Origi would have been able to leave for free next summer. We tried to get Can to extend even though the deal to bring Fabinho in had secretly all been resolved with Monaco if you look at the time line.

He got a question mark mostly because hes a CF and not a winger so you're using his versatility or "playing him out of position" putting him at LF. I did point out it wasnt really ideal that Shaqiri isn't like for like cover but due to other good options on the right it's not as much an issue as Origi not being like for like on the left.

NJLFCJake

I think it's pretty clear what's going on ...

In the year 2020, Liverpool Football Club will make an announcement that they've signed a deal with Nike. In the video fog will start filling up the camera with a red glow. First Jadon Sancho will come in and stand on the right side then Kylian Mbappe will come on the left side. Then finally Michael Edwards will be in the middle of both of them with a little smirk on his face. Thus leaving you with the best unveiling video of all time.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Speaking of expiring contract - i get the feeling that Joel Matip doesn't want to extend his contract. 10 months left on his contract. Extention should have happend during his great run before the CL final.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Speaking of expiring contract - i get the feeling that Joel Matip doesn't want to extend his contract. 10 months left on his contract. Extention should have happend during his great run before the CL final.
There are two possible reasons in my opinion;

1st I think he could want to be the established first choice partner for VvD ahead of Gomez when it's looking the other way round at the moment. With how often Gomez misses games and covers FB I expect Matip to realise he is getting plenty of playing time.

2nd When he signed he had a reasonable wage and then a bonus paid on top spread over his contract to reflect he was a free signing. That's my understanding at least. With that bonus now coming to an end hes facing a pay cut in practical terms. A contract extension offer on his same "wage" or even a reasonable increase might be quite a drop in salary if they dont take into account his net take home. He might not be happy about that and be tempted to go somewhere else on a free transfer next summer to replicate or better what he has been on here.