Who would you buy?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!
!!! FUTURE HALL OF FAME POST !!!

James Maddison - there is something i don’t like about him - idk what it is.

He'll join ManU and then end up at Everton!

You’ve read it here first.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!
!!! FUTURE HALL OF FAME POST !!!

James Maddison - there is something i don’t like about him - idk what it is.

He'll join ManU and then end up at Everton!

You’ve read it here first.
Won't disagree with him joining man utd. Especially at the salaries they are willing to pay for English players.

Decent player though , as it stands now , joining the bitters makes you join a better team than joining the scums.

And if they aren't qualifying for UCL , chances of Sancho/maddinson making a move there goes down drastically.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Next Jan or summer, we need to address below.
1. Left Back cover
2. Right Back cover
3. Wing cover
4. Milner replacement in midfield
5. Lovren replacement

Will we address few of these with our youth.

Wilson may be used as cover for wing.
Grujic maybe used as Milner replacement in midfield. Actually don't think anyone can replace Milner. But just add another body and a bit of depth to midfield?
Hoever, Sepp, Larouci maybe as RB, CB and LB covers?
We will have to see how Klopp plan this. For now, what he has done is to postpone all these things by 1 transfer window, by not doing anything in this window. A brave move which not many people will be willing to do.

GermanRed

Milner and Lallana out

Havertz and Grujic in.
Loan out Jones.

Midfield solved.

Joe Gomez x

Maddison is quality , watched him yesterday. Lost the ball and his aggression to win it back and give it to Vardy to finish was amazing. Think United got the wrong man from Leicester. Hopefully we can get him.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Maddison is quality , watched him yesterday. Lost the ball and his aggression to win it back and give it to Vardy to finish was amazing. Think United got the wrong man from Leicester. Hopefully we can get him.
He is under contract till 2023. Should be costing 100m. So the question would be is it worth. I hope both Ox and Keita get less injured and start performing consistently.

Richard88

Back to who will we buy rather than berating our kids..

I think we are pushing for Havertz with a back up option of Aouar. And I like this thinking! (a no.8 / 10).

The evolution of the midfield is probably next on the list for Klopp, Milner/Lallana as immediate replacements (next summer), longer term; Henderson/Wijnaldum etc. So bringing in Havertz/Aouar to replace both Milner/Lallana looks like a realistic option.

My question is do we think we can get Sancho at the same time? Is that pushing us? Or is that why we held fire this summer?

It's not outside the realms of reality. You'd expect Origi/Shaqiri to move on - That would net us £40mil or so.

So replacing 4 players and bringing in 2 top quality players...

Imagine this next season;

Alisson (26)

A-Arnold (20) -- Gomez (22) -- Van Dijk (28) -- Robertson (25)

Fabinho (25)

Havertz (20) -- Keita (24)

Salah (27) -- Firmino (27) -- Mane (27)
Defense rotation options
Larouci (17)
Hoever (18)
Van Der Berg (17)

Midfield rotation options
Henderson (29)
Wijnaldum (28)
Oxlade (26)

Frontline rotation options
Sancho (19)
Brewster (19)
Elliot (16)

See the succession planning...? All the ages seem to mirror up with peak and youngsters coming through to pick up once they hit 30/31 etc.
Good post. This is how I see it too, with clear succession planning being done.

The next priority is clearly a CM/AM to replace Milner/Lallana, and Havertz and Aouar are the two standout candidates there. Maddison is probably on that CM list somewhere further down as well, but I'd actually be pretty surprised if the club didn't land one of their top 2 choices there, seeing as it will be THE transfer where big money goes next summer, and Liverpool is a highly attractive option now.

At CB, Hoever looks closer to being ready for the first team and is likely lined up to take over from Lovren as CB No.4 next summer. From limited viewings in preseason Van den Berg looks like he still needs at least a couple of years to develop, which lines him up to be Matip's replacement in around 2-3 years (at the earliest).

Grabara is also looking like a really solid prospect in goal too, so that's covered nicely, though Alisson should stay productive for many more years as well as goalkeepers prime age is higher than outfielders.

I also agree that we'll also see a serious addition up front as well, though I doubt it will be someone who breaks the bank like Sancho. Ideally it would be Werner who will be available for a €30m release clause.

Whatever the case, a CM and a forward (both in the 19-23 age range) should be the two biggest moves next summer.

Richard88

On a serious note, given we have recently been discussing the possibility of Klopp sticking to his guns and leaving when his current contract expires, i have wondered whether some of his decisions not to spend may be in part to save money for a successor to spend.
No way that that's the case. Klopp will want the squad to be competitive throughout his time here, and given how logically and analytically he seems to work Michael Edwards will also want to ensure that transfers are made with long-term succession in mind.

GermanRed

How good is Grujic? Hertha BSC seem to quite like him.
Difficult to say. Probably just good enough to be a starter for Everton, Wolves, Leicester atm.

Think he needs to be with out first team in 20/21 and in 21/22 he will be good enough to replace Henderson.

I'd love to see him play next to Fabinho in a double pivot (double #6) but not sure if it ever going to happen.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
With Duncan and Kent departing, Liverpool will have made almost 50 million pounds profit on transfer dealings this summer, various bonuses and wages not included. Overall net spending in Klopp's era is down to some 70 million pounds if I'm not mistaken. That's some great work from him and Edwards, even if the cloud of doubt over not strengthening the squad by getting in a new senior or two is still present. I wish they would run my countries.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
It’s pretty unbelievable that Klopp and Edwards have transformed Liverpool into one of Europe’s top five clubs and won the European Cup on a transfer spend of about 70m over four years (obviously I know clauses, bonuses, agents, etc take a dodge as well).

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I'd love to see him play next to Fabinho in a double pivot (double #6) but not sure if it ever going to happen.
That duo together is probably not dynamic enough for a Klopp side.

Midfield we are well covered. Our structure is fine, enables our full backs to attack well (sometimes with only one, like at home against PSG last season, but often with both), Bobby is the glue between midfield and attack, Salah and Mane are more inside forwards than wingers, etc.

I'm hoping that Gini can be our new Milner when he leaves, now you want to slowly see if we can introduce players who can add a bit extra. See if Ox can take that mantle, if we can get a serious player from Keita (I still have hopes, but always realistic that it might not happen). That player who would be part of the 3, not an "isolated" #10, but off the ball works with the other two, and on the ball can link up with Bobby and be spark for our attacks.

Keep the same principles (no passengers allowed, lazy players or whatever), but see if we can add something extra more and more as we look to maximize our potential and become even more successful.

GermanRed

Personally I hope Lallana and Milner will leave after this season so that we can bring in a new midfielder for the #8 position.

Elite talent Havertz but we would have to break our transfer record.

Eriksen on a free?

Bruno Fernandes?

Other options?

Curtis Jones could be the replacement for Lallana but I think he needs a loan in the winter or next summer.

Grujic should be in the squad next season and maybe he will be ready to replace Jordan Henderson the season after.

GermanRed

After de Ligts move who are the next young(ish) elite CB talents who could move in the next windows?

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Which team do you prefer?

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho Keita
Mbappe Firmino Mane
Salah

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho
Havertz Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

GermanRed

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho Keita
Mbappe Firmino Mane
Salah

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho
Havertz Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

KYRed18

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho Keita
Mbappe Firmino Mane
Salah

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho
Havertz Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

The first one if I am playing FIFA. I think the second one is okay; however, Havertz is an attacking midfielder along with Keita being someone who's not afraid to get forward. I think both leave us unbalanced. But hot damn I would never lose a game with either team in FIFA.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
The second best CB - by far - since the start of the year is Joel Matip.
We can praise Matip's performance without making exaggerated claims like this. He has been very good thus far. He's also not the second best CB in the world.

GermanRed

We can praise Matip's performance without making exaggerated claims like this. He has been very good thus far. He's also not the second best CB in the world.
Yes he is. Matip had no bad game this year. There were also about 7 games where he was better than VvD. How does that not make him the second best CB in 2019?

I think Koulibaly is a bit overrated but still much better than Maguire.
He will be 29 next summer and still 3 years left on his contract. We will never be interested in him.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Yes he is. Matip had no bad game this year. There were also about 7 games where he was better than VvD. How does that not make him the second best CB in 2019?
Because you don't judge players based off such a short sample size, especially when he has a much larger sample size of being not-as-good, and when considering the fact that he's paired with a best-in-the-world CB that makes his job a whole hell of a lot easier. And I don't think there were 7 games in which he was better than Virgil, either.

I think Koulibaly is a bit overrated but still much better than Maguire.
He will be 29 next summer and still 3 years left on his contract. We will never be interested in him.
I don't think we're going to buy Havertz or Mbappe, either. But we're having a little fun with the possibilities here, no?

Last edited:

Red over the water

After we win the league this year I think the sting in the tail might be Salah deciding to try his hand in Spain. Got nothing to base it on, other than a hunch. If that happens I could see us going big on Sancho as a direct replacement. We might even add Havertz to the attacking midfield as we’ve been saving our pennies.

GermanRed

Because you don't judge players based off such a short sample size, especially when he has a much larger sample size of being not-as-good, and when considering the fact that he's paired with a best-in-the-world CB that makes his job a whole hell of a lot easier. And I don't think there were 7 games in which he was better than Virgil, either.

I don't think we're going to buy Havertz or Mbappe, either. But we're having a little fun with the possibilities here, no?
Truth is we don’t need Mbappe and Sancho because we have Firmino and Salah.

Havertz would move straight into our starting11 - so that’s a transfer that can happen.

fspencer

After we win the league this year I think the sting in the tail might be Salah deciding to try his hand in Spain. Got nothing to base it on, other than a hunch. If that happens I could see us going big on Sancho as a direct replacement. We might even add Havertz to the attacking midfield as we’ve been saving our pennies.
we don't require salahs hand . so off to Spain it can go! £250m for salah's hand anyone ???

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
With Duncan and Kent departing, Liverpool will have made almost 50 million pounds profit on transfer dealings this summer, various bonuses and wages not included. Overall net spending in Klopp's era is down to some 70 million pounds if I'm not mistaken. That's some great work from him and Edwards, even if the cloud of doubt over not strengthening the squad by getting in a new senior or two is still present. I wish they would run my countries.
I think credit should go to the man that runs the team. I don’t think any other manager could keep it going with that sort of spending in this day and age. It’s down to how the players respond to the coach and the head is the one that keep it ticking. Even the shrewdest operator like Pochettino will find it hard to keep the momentum going.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I think credit should go to the man that runs the team. I don’t think any other manager could keep it going with that sort of spending in this day and age. It’s down to how the players respond to the coach and the head is the one that keep it ticking. Even the shrewdest operator like Pochettino will find it hard to keep the momentum going.
Can't separate these two, Ed. Two men arguably at the top of their game, working in synergy, long may it continue. Edwards is as instrumental in getting the right players (and getting every penny for selling the unwanted ones) as Klopp is in improving the side. I couldn't be more grateful on both.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Can't separate these two, Ed. Two men arguably at the top of their game, working in synergy, long may it continue. Edwards is as instrumental in getting the right players (and getting every penny for selling the unwanted ones) as Klopp is in improving the side. I couldn't be more grateful on both.
I put my money on Klopp more because he had shown in the past what he could do with shoe string budget. Until we have different manager in charge and deliver similar outcome, I can only draw one conclusion for now and to me it’s Klopp.