• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
There are two possible reasons in my opinion;

1st I think he could want to be the established first choice partner for VvD ahead of Gomez when it's looking the other way round at the moment. With how often Gomez misses games and covers FB I expect Matip to realise he is getting plenty of playing time.

2nd When he signed he had a reasonable wage and then a bonus paid on top spread over his contract to reflect he was a free signing. That's my understanding at least. With that bonus now coming to an end hes facing a pay cut in practical terms. A contract extension offer on his same "wage" or even a reasonable increase might be quite a drop in salary if they dont take into account his net take home. He might not be happy about that and be tempted to go somewhere else on a free transfer next summer to replicate or better what he has been on here.
And fair play and goodluck to him if thats what he wants to do. Have no problem with anyone seeing there contract out and wanting to move on for whatever reason. My problems are with the sneaks who force the club to sell them and even worse still dont even hand in a transfer request as they still want that loyalty payment

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It's often overlooked but signing bonuses aren't just given to free agents. They're often paid as part of the incentive to sign new terms.
Which I'm guessing might be what he is after? New wage would have to at least match old wage plus old bonus for him to not experience a pay cut?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Which I'm guessing might be what he is after? New wage would have to at least match old wage plus old bonus for him to not experience a pay cut?
Perhaps, depends on the likelihood of meeting variable elements of the pay structure as well though but what Matip also needs to consider is what would the market pay him? I'd say it's quite likely he's not going to be offered more elsewhere than he's currently on so a pay-cut may be inevitable.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Speaking of expiring contract - i get the feeling that Joel Matip doesn't want to extend his contract. 10 months left on his contract. Extention should have happend during his great run before the CL final.
I think it was confirmed that Matip has two more years left on his contract but I also think your point is valid. With Lovren out of the way and Gomez' injury record, though, maybe he'll prove us wrong and sign a new contract. That said, I don't think he, Wijnaldum or Milner have been offered new ones.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

1st I think he could want to be the established first choice partner for VvD ahead of Gomez when it's looking the other way round at the moment. With how often Gomez misses games and covers FB I expect Matip to realise he is getting plenty of playing time.

2nd When he signed he had a reasonable wage and then a bonus paid on top spread over his contract to reflect he was a free signing. That's my understanding at least. With that bonus now coming to an end hes facing a pay cut in practical terms. A contract extension offer on his same "wage" or even a reasonable increase might be quite a drop in salary if they dont take into account his net take home. He might not be happy about that and be tempted to go somewhere else on a free transfer next summer to replicate or better what he has been on here.
While the latter is possibly true, he would also be in line for bonuses being paid for signing the new contract wouldnt he? And, is at a club where not only is he being paid a sizeable wage, but with a great chance of earning win bonuses and silverware.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think it was confirmed that Matip has two more years left on his contract but I also think your point is valid. With Lovren out of the way and Gomez' injury record, though, maybe he'll prove us wrong and sign a new contract. That said, I don't think he, Wijnaldum or Milner have been offered new ones.
Transfer Market has his contract expiring next summer. Perhaps it was Lovren who had another 2 years on his contract - as i think the 2 years thing came up in a discussion as to us losing both in the same summer?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Speaking of expiring contract - i get the feeling that Joel Matip doesn't want to extend his contract. 10 months left on his contract. Extention should have happend during his great run before the CL final.
He was only just given it. Not sure being given the contract sooner would have led him to signing it before now either as he may be waiting to see where he lies in the pecking order or what clubs might be interested in Janaury.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member

So Matip wants to be a starting 11 player, but not a sub/rotation option?

I'm sure i've heard that potential reason for a player being unhappy and wanting to leave before somewhere.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So Matip wants to be a starting 11 player, but not a sub/rotation option?

I'm sure i've heard that potential reason for a player being unhappy and wanting to leave before somewhere.
I said it's a possibility for why he is reluctant to sign a deal. I also said; "... I expect Matip to realise he is getting plenty of playing time."

Limiescouse

I said it's a possibility for why he is reluctant to sign a deal. I also said; "... I expect Matip to realise he is getting plenty of playing time."
Getting games is not sufficient for a player to feel valued and satisfied if those games are mostly second tier games. I dont think too many people would say Giroud's move to Chelsea has gone that well for him, yet he still played a full season of games last year. He just did so in in the Europa League and other cups, and as sub in the league (started only 7 games). That is not an easy sell for a player of the calber necessary to really make an impact.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Getting games is not sufficient for a player to feel valued and satisfied if those games are mostly second tier games. I dont think too many people would say Giroud's move to Chelsea has gone that well for him, yet he still played a full season of games last year. He just did so in in the Europa League and other cups, and as sub in the league (started only 7 games). That is not an easy sell for a player of the calber necessary to really make an impact.
I'll change it to "getting plenty of game time in games he wants to play in" then.

And Giroud didn't get a full seasons worth of games he started 21.

Limiescouse

I'll change it to "getting plenty of game time in games he wants to play in" then.

And Giroud didn't get a full seasons worth of games he started 21.
He made nearly 50 appearances, yet was not and clearly still is not high in their plans. And if you are going to use the additional workload this season then almost all of those games are projected to be in second tier games so you cannot have it both ways.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He made nearly 50 appearances, yet was not and clearly still is not high in their plans. And if you are going to use the additional workload this season then almost all of those games are projected to be in second tier games so you cannot have it both ways.
Theres a reason I refer to starts when looking at game time. An appearance may be 30 seconds to waste some stoppage time it doesn't say much. A start does. Giroud made 21 at least 4 other attacking players made 30 plus. And Chelsea played some strange formations. Sometimes only had 2 attacking players.

Limiescouse

I dont get what point you think you are making. 21 starts is a decent number, yet the profile of those games were very much of the sort of a player that is not highly regarded. No player good enough to make a difference is going to be content with that so simply stating how many games we have to play this year is a misdirection. Yes, it means we need more than a first XI, but we already have that. And the players we already have at the club to play that back up role are seemingly better than the sort of player you can bring in with the promise of accumulating games in domestic cups.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Hot damn that's a big contract for the BL. Is that the biggest in the league, if you exclude Coutinho?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Clause, unknown? That will likely be his last Dortmund deal, or the highest wage he'll get while he's there. Might sign another one on similar terms that is just preparation for a transfer, with an included(?) or modified clause, like we see with plenty of transfers.

Craig_Johnston

By the way, remember all that stuff about how we don't need to buy anyone because we've got all these talented youngsters coming through? They just got thrashed by Spurs kids 4-0 :-/

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
By the way, remember all that stuff about how we don't need to buy anyone because we've got all these talented youngsters coming through? They just got thrashed by Spurs kids 4-0 :-/
A team with 2 full internationals? Including Batshuayi who is a beast to be playing 18 year olds.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Back to who will we buy rather than berating our kids..

I think we are pushing for Havertz with a back up option of Aouar. And I like this thinking! (a no.8 / 10).

The evolution of the midfield is probably next on the list for Klopp, Milner/Lallana as immediate replacements (next summer), longer term; Henderson/Wijnaldum etc. So bringing in Havertz/Aouar to replace both Milner/Lallana looks like a realistic option.

My question is do we think we can get Sancho at the same time? Is that pushing us? Or is that why we held fire this summer?

It's not outside the realms of reality. You'd expect Origi/Shaqiri to move on - That would net us £40mil or so.

So replacing 4 players and bringing in 2 top quality players...

Imagine this next season;

Alisson (26)

A-Arnold (20) -- Gomez (22) -- Van Dijk (28) -- Robertson (25)

Fabinho (25)

Havertz (20) -- Keita (24)

Salah (27) -- Firmino (27) -- Mane (27)
Defense rotation options
Larouci (17)
Hoever (18)
Van Der Berg (17)

Midfield rotation options
Henderson (29)
Wijnaldum (28)
Oxlade (26)

Frontline rotation options
Sancho (19)
Brewster (19)
Elliot (16)

See the succession planning...? All the ages seem to mirror up with peak and youngsters coming through to pick up once they hit 30/31 etc.

Last edited:

Craig_Johnston

I'm not berating the kids, I'm just pointing out that they aren't at the level some of us believed. I'm criticising the management, if anyone, for over optimism.