• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
@Iluvatar Havertz and Sancho in one window? Don't be so greedy :)

Havertz can happen but he will cost around €100m and we need to make some room in our midfield.
Milner + Lallana out. Havertz + Grujic in. Loan out Curtis Jones.

Sancho is a bit difficult. Would make sense as a Salah replacement but not as an additional attacker. Just signed a new contract. Kid is on ₤190k a week. Salah is the only Liverpool player who earns more at the moment if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I'm not berating the kids, I'm just pointing out that they aren't at the level some of us believed. I'm criticising the management, if anyone, for over optimism.
I mean, Hoever for one has already been given a senior appearance and looked very good. There's a difference between dropping one promising kid into an otherwise settled and senior team and playing a whole team of them against an older team featuring some senior internationals.

No, I don't think any of them are likely at the level of, say, an 18-year-old Owen who can come in and stake his claim from the off, but equally if we did need to call on one of them to provide some depth in the odd game at some point, I think they'd be fine.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Clause, unknown? That will likely be his last Dortmund deal, or the highest wage he'll get while he's there. Might sign another one on similar terms that is just preparation for a transfer, with an included(?) or modified clause, like we see with plenty of transfers.
Yep - I see it as Dortmund securing his value now. Problem might be that at such a high wage now, he comes in for a bigger wage in a season or two, disrupting squad harmony - something the Manchester clubs, PSG, and Real/Barca don't give two shits about, so probably puts them ahead of us.

On youth teams being battered - that's never a barometer of where the players are, especially three games in. Last years youth teams look vastly different to this years, with players at new levels (inc up to senior), some players off on loan/sold, and everyone now having to adjust to their new team mates etc. Unless you follow Chelsea/Spurs youth team set ups, it's not really worth getting worried about a few results.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Having 11 of them playing together is very different from putting one of them into the first team.
Agreed totally. Having one or two youngsters being shepherded by the senior guys has a lot of merit.

Would Gomez or Trent Alexander Arnold be the same players they are right now if it weren't for the likes of vvd/matip/Henderson/milner/fabinho ready to back them up in open play mopping their mistakes. Youngsters will make mistakes , it's a given. But the only way they are gonna learn from the mistakes is if they are playing matches.

GaryBarlow99

@Iluvatar Havertz and Sancho in one window? Don't be so greedy

Havertz can happen but he will cost around €100m and we need to make some room in our midfield.
Milner + Lallana out. Havertz + Grujic in. Loan out Curtis Jones.

Sancho is a bit difficult. Would make sense as a Salah replacement but not as an additional attacker. Just signed a new contract. Kid is on ₤190k a week. Salah is the only Liverpool player who earns more at the moment if i'm not mistaken.
Can't see us going for Sancho with the amount it will cost after signing that deal. Havertz is the one I would love to get now. He can cover Firmino and Mane and play the AM role we have been crying out for the last two seasons.

Sweeting

Yep - I see it as Dortmund securing his value now. Problem might be that at such a high wage now, he comes in for a bigger wage in a season or two, disrupting squad harmony - something the Manchester clubs, PSG, and Real/Barca don't give two shits about, so probably puts them ahead of us.

On youth teams being battered - that's never a barometer of where the players are, especially three games in. Last years youth teams look vastly different to this years, with players at new levels (inc up to senior), some players off on loan/sold, and everyone now having to adjust to their new team mates etc. Unless you follow Chelsea/Spurs youth team set ups, it's not really worth getting worried about a few results.
Also worth mentioning that Spurs and Chelsea are not exactly bad at that level either. They will be expecting a few of the guys in those teams to competing for their first team also.

GermanRed

Can't see us going for Sancho with the amount it will cost after signing that deal. Havertz is the one I would love to get now. He can cover Firmino and Mane and play the AM role we have been crying out for the last two seasons.
I think you’re mistaking Havertz with someone else - maybe Julian Brandt who signed for Dortmund this summer?

Havertz is not a CF/ST and not really a wide attacker.

He is a CAM being used as a #8 in a 4-3-3 under Leverkusen manager Peter Bosz. That’s also where he would start for us.

He’d be our most attacking #8.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Havertz is an elite talent, for me he's in the same bracket as Mbappe, only in a different role. I'd hate it if he went to Bayern but then again I'm a cynical hypocrite and would prefer that to seeing him play for any English club that isn't called Liverpool. 100 million euros for a player who can play on the wing but his strongest role is probably the one in which Klopp has already invested about 100 million euros... I'm not sure, I think Bild are talking crap there.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'm not berating the kids, I'm just pointing out that they aren't at the level some of us believed. I'm criticising the management, if anyone, for over optimism.
You’d need to know the circumstances thought. U23s are hugely variable in terms of development, and we often have kids much younger than at other clubs.

GermanRed

Havertz is an elite talent, for me he's in the same bracket as Mbappe, only in a different role. I'd hate it if he went to Bayern but then again I'm a cynical hypocrite and would prefer that to seeing him play for any English club that isn't called Liverpool. 100 million euros for a player who can play on the wing but his strongest role is probably the one in which Klopp has already invested about 100 million euros... I'm not sure, I think Bild are talking crap there.
Havertz, Mbappe, Sancho, de Ligt, João Felix, Donnarumma, TAA - I’d say these are the standout elite talents. Not sure if anyone else comes close.

GermanRed

Alisson
Gomez(1,88m) Matip(1,95m) VvD(1,93m) Robertson
Havertz(1,88m) Fabinho(1,90m) Grujic(1,90m)
Salah Origi(1,85m) Mané

I think the plan is clear. Klopp is building a squad for his successor Tony Pulis. Everybody run riot in 5...4...3...2...1... :)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Alisson
Gomez(1,88m) Matip(1,95m) VvD(1,93m) Robertson
Havertz(1,88m) Fabinho(1,90m) Grujic(1,90m)
Salah Origi(1,85m) Mané

I think the plan is clear. Klopp is building a squad for his successor Tony Pulis. Everybody run riot in 5...4...3...2...1...
On a serious note, given we have recently been discussing the possibility of Klopp sticking to his guns and leaving when his current contract expires, i have wondered whether some of his decisions not to spend may be in part to save money for a successor to spend.

Sweeting

Nikola Jelavic scored a hatfull of goals in his first few games for Everton as well.
I was trying to think of who he reminded me of and I think you've nailed it. Jelavic/Zaki/Gray - scoring a bunch of goals at a newly promoted team but will quickly fade away.

Limiescouse

I was trying to think of who he reminded me of and I think you've nailed it. Jelavic/Zaki/Gray - scoring a bunch of goals at a newly promoted team but will quickly fade away.
It's a great story and I wish him well. However, he is currently playing at a level far above anything he has ever done in a professional career that is well over a decade long. These stories happen occasionally in football and they are great when they do. But that doesnt mean that he's reliable performer at this current level.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Surprised to read he's 29.
Yeah, flopped at a few clubs. There's another Finish striker who is going from club to club, Pohjanpalo.

Jelavic was also pretty much nowhere until he got a strong season in Austria. Then Rangers (probably thought he was Dado Prso-like), then Everton. Had injuries earlier in his career. Was at the Ernst Happel in Vienna when we played a friendly in 2009, Rapid Vienna v Liverpool for their 115th anniversary. Jelavic got the winner.

Alright Now

Yeah, flopped at a few clubs. There's another Finish striker who is going from club to club, Pohjanpalo.

Jelavic was also pretty much nowhere until he got a strong season in Austria. Then Rangers (probably thought he was Dado Prso-like), then Everton. Had injuries earlier in his career. Was at the Ernst Happel in Vienna when we played a friendly in 2009, Rapid Vienna v Liverpool for their 115th anniversary. Jelavic got the winner.
Thank you, sir.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
It's a great story and I wish him well. However, he is currently playing at a level far above anything he has ever done in a professional career that is well over a decade long. These stories happen occasionally in football and they are great when they do. But that doesnt mean that he's reliable performer at this current level.
Didn't he score a whole hat full of goals last year in championship?

Maybe Kevin Phillips better example, came up full of confidence and got thirty, before he settled into useful prem player, but never threatened 30 again.

Claymenza

On a serious note, given we have recently been discussing the possibility of Klopp sticking to his guns and leaving when his current contract expires, i have wondered whether some of his decisions not to spend may be in part to save money for a successor to spend.
Not likely for many reasons.

Klopp will most likely stay with us for more further than 3 seasons.
We have a strong squad. We didn't spend on an attacker because it would have destabilized the team.
Origi was given a new contract because there was no value in the market and he earned his place here

The young dutch lad and Adrian are the type of signings that the transfer committee made when we already had a successful team. Future and contingency planning. It's not blockbuster, but it's pragmatic.

If we have to sign another van dijk for a record fee 5 years from now, then we have to reconsider whether it's worth having an academy.

GermanRed

!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!
!!! FUTURE HALL OF FAME POST !!!

James Maddison - there is something i don’t like about him - idk what it is.

He'll join ManU and then end up at Everton!

You’ve read it here first.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!
!!! FUTURE HALL OF FAME POST !!!

James Maddison - there is something i don’t like about him - idk what it is.

He'll join ManU and then end up at Everton!

You’ve read it here first.
Won't disagree with him joining man utd. Especially at the salaries they are willing to pay for English players.

Decent player though , as it stands now , joining the bitters makes you join a better team than joining the scums.

And if they aren't qualifying for UCL , chances of Sancho/maddinson making a move there goes down drastically.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Next Jan or summer, we need to address below.
1. Left Back cover
2. Right Back cover
3. Wing cover
4. Milner replacement in midfield
5. Lovren replacement

Will we address few of these with our youth.

Wilson may be used as cover for wing.
Grujic maybe used as Milner replacement in midfield. Actually don't think anyone can replace Milner. But just add another body and a bit of depth to midfield?
Hoever, Sepp, Larouci maybe as RB, CB and LB covers?
We will have to see how Klopp plan this. For now, what he has done is to postpone all these things by 1 transfer window, by not doing anything in this window. A brave move which not many people will be willing to do.