• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
With Duncan and Kent departing, Liverpool will have made almost 50 million pounds profit on transfer dealings this summer, various bonuses and wages not included. Overall net spending in Klopp's era is down to some 70 million pounds if I'm not mistaken. That's some great work from him and Edwards, even if the cloud of doubt over not strengthening the squad by getting in a new senior or two is still present. I wish they would run my countries.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It’s pretty unbelievable that Klopp and Edwards have transformed Liverpool into one of Europe’s top five clubs and won the European Cup on a transfer spend of about 70m over four years (obviously I know clauses, bonuses, agents, etc take a dodge as well).

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I'd love to see him play next to Fabinho in a double pivot (double #6) but not sure if it ever going to happen.
That duo together is probably not dynamic enough for a Klopp side.

Midfield we are well covered. Our structure is fine, enables our full backs to attack well (sometimes with only one, like at home against PSG last season, but often with both), Bobby is the glue between midfield and attack, Salah and Mane are more inside forwards than wingers, etc.

I'm hoping that Gini can be our new Milner when he leaves, now you want to slowly see if we can introduce players who can add a bit extra. See if Ox can take that mantle, if we can get a serious player from Keita (I still have hopes, but always realistic that it might not happen). That player who would be part of the 3, not an "isolated" #10, but off the ball works with the other two, and on the ball can link up with Bobby and be spark for our attacks.

Keep the same principles (no passengers allowed, lazy players or whatever), but see if we can add something extra more and more as we look to maximize our potential and become even more successful.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Personally I hope Lallana and Milner will leave after this season so that we can bring in a new midfielder for the #8 position.

Elite talent Havertz but we would have to break our transfer record.

Eriksen on a free?

Bruno Fernandes?

Other options?

Curtis Jones could be the replacement for Lallana but I think he needs a loan in the winter or next summer.

Grujic should be in the squad next season and maybe he will be ready to replace Jordan Henderson the season after.

GermanRed

After de Ligts move who are the next young(ish) elite CB talents who could move in the next windows?

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Which team do you prefer?

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho Keita
Mbappe Firmino Mane
Salah

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho
Havertz Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

GermanRed

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho Keita
Mbappe Firmino Mane
Salah

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho
Havertz Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

KYRed18

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho Keita
Mbappe Firmino Mane
Salah

Alisson
TAA Koulibaly VVD Robbo
Fabinho
Havertz Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

The first one if I am playing FIFA. I think the second one is okay; however, Havertz is an attacking midfielder along with Keita being someone who's not afraid to get forward. I think both leave us unbalanced. But hot damn I would never lose a game with either team in FIFA.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
The second best CB - by far - since the start of the year is Joel Matip.
We can praise Matip's performance without making exaggerated claims like this. He has been very good thus far. He's also not the second best CB in the world.

GermanRed

We can praise Matip's performance without making exaggerated claims like this. He has been very good thus far. He's also not the second best CB in the world.
Yes he is. Matip had no bad game this year. There were also about 7 games where he was better than VvD. How does that not make him the second best CB in 2019?

I think Koulibaly is a bit overrated but still much better than Maguire.
He will be 29 next summer and still 3 years left on his contract. We will never be interested in him.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Yes he is. Matip had no bad game this year. There were also about 7 games where he was better than VvD. How does that not make him the second best CB in 2019?
Because you don't judge players based off such a short sample size, especially when he has a much larger sample size of being not-as-good, and when considering the fact that he's paired with a best-in-the-world CB that makes his job a whole hell of a lot easier. And I don't think there were 7 games in which he was better than Virgil, either.

I think Koulibaly is a bit overrated but still much better than Maguire.
He will be 29 next summer and still 3 years left on his contract. We will never be interested in him.
I don't think we're going to buy Havertz or Mbappe, either. But we're having a little fun with the possibilities here, no?

Last edited:

Red over the water

After we win the league this year I think the sting in the tail might be Salah deciding to try his hand in Spain. Got nothing to base it on, other than a hunch. If that happens I could see us going big on Sancho as a direct replacement. We might even add Havertz to the attacking midfield as we’ve been saving our pennies.

GermanRed

Because you don't judge players based off such a short sample size, especially when he has a much larger sample size of being not-as-good, and when considering the fact that he's paired with a best-in-the-world CB that makes his job a whole hell of a lot easier. And I don't think there were 7 games in which he was better than Virgil, either.

I don't think we're going to buy Havertz or Mbappe, either. But we're having a little fun with the possibilities here, no?
Truth is we don’t need Mbappe and Sancho because we have Firmino and Salah.

Havertz would move straight into our starting11 - so that’s a transfer that can happen.

fspencer

After we win the league this year I think the sting in the tail might be Salah deciding to try his hand in Spain. Got nothing to base it on, other than a hunch. If that happens I could see us going big on Sancho as a direct replacement. We might even add Havertz to the attacking midfield as we’ve been saving our pennies.
we don't require salahs hand . so off to Spain it can go! £250m for salah's hand anyone ???

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
With Duncan and Kent departing, Liverpool will have made almost 50 million pounds profit on transfer dealings this summer, various bonuses and wages not included. Overall net spending in Klopp's era is down to some 70 million pounds if I'm not mistaken. That's some great work from him and Edwards, even if the cloud of doubt over not strengthening the squad by getting in a new senior or two is still present. I wish they would run my countries.
I think credit should go to the man that runs the team. I don’t think any other manager could keep it going with that sort of spending in this day and age. It’s down to how the players respond to the coach and the head is the one that keep it ticking. Even the shrewdest operator like Pochettino will find it hard to keep the momentum going.

Nikola

Admin
I think credit should go to the man that runs the team. I don’t think any other manager could keep it going with that sort of spending in this day and age. It’s down to how the players respond to the coach and the head is the one that keep it ticking. Even the shrewdest operator like Pochettino will find it hard to keep the momentum going.
Can't separate these two, Ed. Two men arguably at the top of their game, working in synergy, long may it continue. Edwards is as instrumental in getting the right players (and getting every penny for selling the unwanted ones) as Klopp is in improving the side. I couldn't be more grateful on both.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Can't separate these two, Ed. Two men arguably at the top of their game, working in synergy, long may it continue. Edwards is as instrumental in getting the right players (and getting every penny for selling the unwanted ones) as Klopp is in improving the side. I couldn't be more grateful on both.
I put my money on Klopp more because he had shown in the past what he could do with shoe string budget. Until we have different manager in charge and deliver similar outcome, I can only draw one conclusion for now and to me it’s Klopp.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Klopp's our most important player, no doubt about that. Credit also to the team behind (yeah, led by Edwards), but we also don't know enough about them, or how much was certain person involved in certain moves. And we shouldn't know these things anyway, it's good that we don't. Too early to talk about this, but we'll see what structure we're left with once Klopp leaves and if they have the capability to keep us at the same level... but so far with these people, after a few years of failure with different ways of working under FSG, so good.

Nikola

Admin
I put my money on Klopp more because he had shown in the past what he could do with shoe string budget. Until we have different manager in charge and deliver similar outcome, I can only draw one conclusion for now and to me it’s Klopp.
I think that Klopp is irreplaceable - and I'm already dreading his departure - but I don't think he'd have assembled this side without Edwards' (and Gordon's) competence (he's already claimed that they convinced him to sign Salah, for example). The only trouble is, he's such a good fit that no one comes close to him but that's for another discussion, I guess.

Richard88

After de Ligts move who are the next young(ish) elite CB talents who could move in the next windows?
I'd be surprised if we made a move for an expensive CB in the near future. The long-term plan seems to be for Hoever to replace Lovren next summer, and then for Van den Berg to replace Matip in like 2-3 seasons, so we have the pieces in place at CB already.

That said, Konaté, Jonathan Tah, and Upemecano might be names to keep in mind. I also liked the look of Caglar Soyuncu when he was at Freiburg but I haven't been keeping track of him much since he moved to Leicester, though he appears to be first-choice this season.

Richard88

Personally I hope Lallana and Milner will leave after this season so that we can bring in a new midfielder for the #8 position.

Elite talent Havertz but we would have to break our transfer record.

Eriksen on a free?

Bruno Fernandes?

Other options?

Curtis Jones could be the replacement for Lallana but I think he needs a loan in the winter or next summer.

Grujic should be in the squad next season and maybe he will be ready to replace Jordan Henderson the season after.
Eriksen would be a good signing for whoever gets him on a free, but I don't think he fits the age profile we're going to be looking for in that role. Ideally Milner and Lallana's replacement will be someone under 23 who can grow with the next wave of core players so that we can have a smooth transition and remain competitive after the current core of 27+ year old players exit their peak years and inevitably move on.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think that Klopp is irreplaceable - and I'm already dreading his departure - but I don't think he'd have assembled this side without Edwards' (and Gordon's) competence (he's already claimed that they convinced him to sign Salah, for example). The only trouble is, he's such a good fit that no one comes close to him but that's for another discussion, I guess.
Yes it works well within the whole group and that to me is down to our manager. The group you mentioned was here before him, although we did have an idiot called Ayre in the same group but still, they did buy player that Klopp transformed like Firmino with his predecessor bitching about wrong tools. That’s why I can only give more credit to the manager than the rest because the year to me are still unknown entity. If they could repeat the same feat with another man in charge, I would be the first to give them the accolades.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
[...]
If they could repeat the same feat with another man in charge, I would be the first to give them the accolades.
Isn't that kind of an unfair standard? Does Klopp have to replicate his accomplishments with Ayre and assorted clowns running the front office?

It's a fortuitously symbiotic relationship where each party makes each other better. No need to pick one or the other to give the 'real' credit to, imo.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Isn't that kind of an unfair standard? Does Klopp have to replicate his accomplishments with Ayre and assorted clowns running the front office?

It's a fortuitously symbiotic relationship where each party makes each other better. No need to pick one or the other to give the 'real' credit to, imo.
Nope Klopp has accomplished his goals in Dortmund and now here. So in terms of trend, pattern and historical data used to show his worth and would not even blink to think he will be able to do the same under Ian Ayre. It’s not unfair, it’s using past achievements to draw that conclusion.

Let me put it this way, who worries you more if he leaves? Klopp or King Edwards? I know what my answer is going to be. For what it is worth, I am giving more credit to the manager less so to the others. They get it but they aren’t the ultimate factor to me. Not binary choice, all get credit on different percentage.

Last edited: