• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Danny_

Nike are going to want the club to make a big splash next summer with at least one highly marketable player. It's quite fitting that the two biggest needs are a forward and attacking midfielder, which are the most prolific positions in terms of marketability.
WTF. I don't think so. Nike are going to have zero say in who we buy.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
First who and secondly and more importantly why when it was third/fourth choice next to VVD today.
I'm pretty sure it's a continuation of the joke I made.

Mascot posts that Nike will want to make a "M'bold" signing, I reply to suggest it will be Hanson (who wrote the song Mbop) to make a new club anthem, @gippo77 jokes along the lines of Hanson/Alan Hansen, ie a new top class defender.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Still feel we need a top class forward who can challenge the forward trio. If we were to challenge consistently even after this season, we need more than just a lethal first 11, you need a lethal bench waiting to replace the first 11. It might not need to be Mbappe price level, but there are a few high potentials in the German or Dutch leagues that might come in the 30-50mil range. Sancho would be great but he probably would start a bidding war unless he only wants to come here

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Alli seems like a one season wonder, came flying on to the scene and then fizzled out and can’t even get into the Spurs starting 11 now.
There’s also speculation that he’s got a bit of an attitude and that also keeping him out the team.
I’d avoid him especially since Levy wouldn’t let him go on the cheap as he’s contracted until 2024
Alli had a couple of good seasons with Spurs. Problem for him now is at least in part that his role has been affected by other players taking up the space he used to play in, and i dont think he has the skill set to adjust in that position he currently plays in. He was at his best almost as a second striker running from deep.

However, now Kane plays deeper than he did a couple of years ago - i dont know whether that is something the player himself is doing, or the manager has asked him to do.

gasband

Ad-free Member
Donyell Malen looks interesting. 20, very fast, top scorer in the league now, 16 goals in 18 games, 10 in 10 in the league, but as usual not sure of the aptitude in stepping up and willingness to work hard.

Sweeting

Donyell Malen looks interesting. 20, very fast, top scorer in the league now, 16 goals in 18 games, 10 in 10 in the league, but as usual not sure of the aptitude in stepping up and willingness to work hard.
He got 5 in one game which skews his stats a bit. If he keeps it up all season though he will certainly be worth a look, the thing that makes me doubt him at this stage is that he was not a good goalscorer at U18 and U23 level for Arsenal - it is rare to become a great goalscorer when you didn't manage it in youth teams.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The only Tottenham player I would be happy to see in a red shirt is Lucas Moura. I could see him fitting in very well.

Rose and Kane are overated divers imo, can't stand them.

Hard to see who can improve us. No doubt Edwards will unearth another gem. I can see Keita coming good and Grujic seems to be developing very nicely. Young Harvey looks like he has enormous potential to.
I wouldn't mind if we signed Son, he looks like he could be a bit ok at this football thing ;)

blaze

Faith.
He got 5 in one game which skews his stats a bit. If he keeps it up all season though he will certainly be worth a look, the thing that makes me doubt him at this stage is that he was not a good goalscorer at U18 and U23 level for Arsenal - it is rare to become a great goalscorer when you didn't manage it in youth teams.
Wasn't Harry Kane a pretty mediocre player at youth levels? I remember he was a mediocre player with a lot of unsuccessful loan spells.

Sweeting

Wasn't Harry Kane a pretty mediocre player at youth levels? I remember he was a mediocre player with a lot of unsuccessful loan spells.
He was bang average on his loans I agree - can't find stats for all his youth level appearances but I can see in 2013/2014 he scored 8 goals in 8 appearances for the U23s

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
If you could offer me any player in the Premier League to add to this Liverpool side, I’d take him. It would be incredible picking a forward line from Salah, Mane, Firmino and Son.
Why pick, just play all 4. Just blow other teams out of the water with supremecy through superior firepower

Sweeting

If you could offer me any player in the Premier League to add to this Liverpool side, I’d take him. It would be incredible picking a forward line from Salah, Mane, Firmino and Son.
How much do we think he would cost to take from there? Levy is stubborn but he also won't mind selling if he thinks he gets a good deal.

Son is the only realistically available player in the PL that would suit our system, from what I can see.

Only issue is that he is the same age as our front three, so doesn't do anything to solve our "inheritance" conundrum in a few years time.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Oooo.. Over De Bruyne? I think I’d still take Kevin! Close one though.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I couldn't get over Liverpool not getting Alli (his form fell off a cliff but he's brilliant, we all know that) but Son is the one that Liverpool could get the most out of. Pace, versatility, technique, dribbling, finishing - a complete Klopp's forward. And one who plays well when the going gets tough as well.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
lol

No offense, Nik, but your refresh rate on these things is notoriously slow.
None taken, of course. Regardless of his form over the past two years, I still think he would have become a world beater under Klopp's guidance. Same goes for Alexis Sanchez and a host of other chaps I wanted to see in a Liverpool shirt but ultimately wouldn't. I do wonder if Liverpool were genuinely interested in Son, there were some links while he was at Hamburg.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
None taken, of course. Regardless of his form over the past two years, I still think he would have become a world beater under Klopp's guidance. Same goes for Alexis Sanchez and a host of other chaps I wanted to see in a Liverpool shirt but ultimately wouldn't. I do wonder if Liverpool were genuinely interested in Son, there were some links while he was at Hamburg.
This is just a hunch but a huge part of the NB/Nike court case and the appeal of Nike was their ability and plans of expansion into the Chinese markets. I know Son isn't Chinese but I do think we may be looking at an Asian player (who is of the right quality) to come in. Ji-Park at Utd wasn't a world beater but he was a solid and hard working player with the benefit of appeal Asia.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I do wonder if Liverpool were genuinely interested in Son, there were some links while he was at Hamburg.
Yeah, who knows if there was anything in it. He must have been on our list, but it depends how high. That was also under previous regime. When he left Leverkusen for Spurs, Rodgers was still in charge and we bought Bobby. Klopp then went for Mane in the following summer. Son had a relatively difficult first season, but then grew to become fantastic.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Just because I mentioned him earlier in the thread:

Haaland is being actively scouted by 20 clubs, however (according to the Guardian at least), it doesn't sound like we're among them. Salzburg have said they're open to selling in the summer and will be looking for around 60m euros.

gasband

Ad-free Member
I would like a song on Haaland called Danger Of Haaland to the tune of U2 Angel of Harlem.

gasband

Ad-free Member
Again having a great season but if our past purchases are an indication, we never really went for flavours of the week, especially such high media profiled ones.

melbournered

Watching Timo Werner snag a hat trick and giving off 2 assists in an excellent performance for Leipzig got me interested again. He displayed all the attributes he has in his locker, pace, some terrific passing, movement off the ball and clinical finishing.
Ii found myself fantasizing on how he would fit in our system.