• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
It is abundantly clear to me that we still have a couple of gaps to fill.
Up top the only option at the moment seems to be Origi and, whilst he has an uncanny knack as a sub, never seems to be able to start a game. Werner does look to be the business and would be my preference.
Midfield is tough. Lallana hasn't been at first team levels for 2 years and nothing he has done since returning has justified keeping him. Keita had such huge billing but has been a big let down. Agreed both have suffered with injuries but they don't look like getting past them.
Hendo has good days and bad, Millie is getting close to retirement, Gini disappears on a regular basis... Definitely not the best group in the world.
I think we need a backup for Fab and two driving midfielders in the Ox style. Like a Coutinho that can tackle

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Just because I mentioned him earlier in the thread:

Haaland is being actively scouted by 20 clubs, however (according to the Guardian at least), it doesn't sound like we're among them. Salzburg have said they're open to selling in the summer and will be looking for around 60m euros.
Thats interesting - because around the time of the Salzburg game, there were numerous reports that we were. As good as he is, I wonder if we are looking at other positions as a priority such as the wide attacking positions - as we already have players in that role.

Although, saying all that, there are rumours we are after Werner this winter (possibly with him staying in Germany until the summer?).

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Just read about United being confident of signing Havertz for £80m. He would'nt be so foolish would he :unsure:

Dave-D

Just read about United being confident of signing Havertz for £80m. He would'nt be so foolish would he :unsure:
No chance, nearly every top team and their dog want Havertz.
He’d have his pick of teams why would he go mid table mediocrity. Most United rumours are spread by their fans who still think their top of the tree and can sign who they want when they want.

Lighthouse

winger depth for sure. im sure its been said a million times but Sancho has got to be at the least a very top priority, Grujic coming back will be interesting but i wouldnt mind seeing a Klopp ran Sander Berge as well.

Last edited:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Imho.
We have 8 genuine World class players now - Allison, TAA, VVD, Robertson, Fab, Mo, Mane and Bobby.
Further 6 great players in Matip, Lovren, Gomez, Hendo, Gini, Milner.
4 decent players too - Ox, Origi, Shaq, Adrian. I am ignoring Lallana, as he will leave in summer.
Some are yet to prove themselves here - Keita, Brewster, Grujic, Wilson, Jones, Hoever, Larouci, etc.
If Hoever and Larouci are not getting ready by summer, I would be looking into the market for an LB and RB cover. We need to give some rest to Robertson and TAA here and there for sure.
If Keita, Wilson, Jones, Grujic are not ready either, we need to add 1 midfielder and 1 winger.

My hope - we solve everything internally with all the above 'yet to prove themselves' category of players coming good and maybe add 1 marque attacking signing.

But realistically thinking - we would be selling Wilson, Grujic, Keita, Shaq - 30m each - to generate some funds. Send Hoever, Larouci, Jones on loan. Buy an LB, keep Gomez as RB cover, buy a midfielder and buy a winger. With 3-4 right players, we could increase the performance of our bench and second team a notch. And put a slight bit of pressure on the first team players so that consistency remains the same.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
@The Elusive 19th
Nice post but I can’t agree with Ox being in your third bracket.

He fits so much to the way Klopp wants to play. Without the injuries he would be our best attacking midfielder. Without the injuries he would already be in the world class bracket and tbh I’m hopeful he will show that from in the next few months.

Soyasource

Time to move Shaqiri, Harry Wilson, Lallana, Allan, Ojo, Woodburn, Awoniyi and Karius. Buy either one of Jadon Sancho, Kylian Mabappe, or Kai Havertz.

Incognito

The Normal One
Who would you buy?

One who doesn't spoil the team chemistry, who understands what it is to play for Liverpool FC, who respects the club, the fans and the manager. I am all in for someone not that skillful. Discipline and maturity are much more critical than just footballing skills.

Aubameyang, Xhaka, Pogba, Sterling - the things happening with all other clubs made me realize how valuable the other factors are and how Klopp values them, rather than just looking at footballing aspect.

Thanks, but no Havertz, Mbappe, Sancho anyone if they don't fit our ethos. I am okay with the supposedly limited players of ours. More of the same please.
Danke Jurgen!

Sweeting

Just quickly taking a look through the league it is actually surprising to be in a position where I'm looking at the majority of clubs and thinking "Nah, wouldn't have any of your players".

We won't be signing anyone from Man City as they seem to have positioned us as their biggest rivals. Man Utd or Everton obviously won't deal with us (and no one I would want); Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves and Leicester can be dealt with but their players won't start for us and you would be looking at an extortionate amount of money.

The only ones I'd be looking at with half an eye are

Ryan Fraser - I'm not a fan but he had a good season last season and would provide some energy on the wings. Personally don't think he fits the way we play at all.

Patrick van Aanholt - Regular for Palace and not a particularly good defender but turns 30 at the start of next season and perhaps wants to win some things - could be a good back up for Robertson. Similar in style, really good when going forward.

Jamal Lewis - Has had a tough time in the PL but was one of the best players in the Championship. Really young with lots of time to improve. Could spend a year or two behind Robertson before challenging him to be a regular.

Felipe Anderson - On his day he's really dangerous, physical and a goal threat. Would be a better back up to Salah and Mane than Fraser in my books but too often is anonymous and would cost over £40m.

Conclusion - We are going to have to look abroad. There just isn't the available talent in the PL to support us.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Just quickly taking a look through the league it is actually surprising to be in a position where I'm looking at the majority of clubs and thinking "Nah, wouldn't have any of your players".

We won't be signing anyone from Man City as they seem to have positioned us as their biggest rivals. Man Utd or Everton obviously won't deal with us (and no one I would want); Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves and Leicester can be dealt with but their players won't start for us and you would be looking at an extortionate amount of money.

The only ones I'd be looking at with half an eye are

Ryan Fraser - I'm not a fan but he had a good season last season and would provide some energy on the wings. Personally don't think he fits the way we play at all.

Patrick van Aanholt - Regular for Palace and not a particularly good defender but turns 30 at the start of next season and perhaps wants to win some things - could be a good back up for Robertson. Similar in style, really good when going forward.

Jamal Lewis - Has had a tough time in the PL but was one of the best players in the Championship. Really young with lots of time to improve. Could spend a year or two behind Robertson before challenging him to be a regular.

Felipe Anderson - On his day he's really dangerous, physical and a goal threat. Would be a better back up to Salah and Mane than Fraser in my books but too often is anonymous and would cost over £40m.

Conclusion - We are going to have to look abroad. There just isn't the available talent in the PL to support us.
What do you think of Dwight McNeill? I like him a lot, think he could be a very good understudy for Mane, probably can play both sides actually.

Sweeting

What do you think of Dwight McNeill? I like him a lot, think he could be a very good understudy for Mane, probably can play both sides actually.
He certainly has the crossing ability, I must admit I've not seen an awful lot of him and it is difficult to judge an attacking player at Burnley but he hugs the touchline a lot from what I have seen and so not sure he can offer than inside goal threat Mane and Salah do. Having said that he is only 19 so lots of room to develop.

Am I crazy or would be more suited to being a Robertson understudy where can do what he does best - use his pace to get down the line and whip a ball in?

iftikhar

Let's review the squad strength.

GK: Alisson is back and Adrian is a very good/decent back-up, no issues there.
LB: Robertson plays 90% of our total game-time. Milner has been a decent back-up.
RB: TAA plays 85% of our total game-time. Gomez has been a decent back-up.
CB: VVD plays 95% of our total game-time. Matip, Gomez and Lovren have all faltered due to fitness, form or sheer lack of quality.
DM: Henderson and Wijnaldum have played the #6 role but nowhere near Fabinho-Level.
CM: Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner are pretty adequate, no issues there.
AM: AOC is back and Naby or Lallana can do a decent job too, no issues there.
LW: It's Mane or Nothing, Origi isn't suited (for all his endeavor) for this role.
RW: It's Salah or Nothing. Shaqiri is the new Aurelio :(.
CF: It's Firmino or Nothing; unless there's a change in the system, Origi can't fill the void.

There isn't ANY youth/Academy players who can be relied upon while we are on a Championship Mission.

Conclusion: Someone who can play across the front-three and someone who can play on both flanks is needed.

Herb

He hasn’t scored a goal yet this season. I think he’s a bit like a Shaqiri, somebody who will look head and shoulders above his team mates at a mid table club, but once you put him into a really elite squad he wouldn’t be threatening to push for game time that often at all.

Sweeting

He hasn’t scored a goal yet this season. I think he’s a bit like a Shaqiri, somebody who will look head and shoulders above his team mates at a mid table club, but once you put him into a really elite squad he wouldn’t be threatening to push for game time that often at all.
Agreed, he definitely has issues and it seems like if he gets a kick early in the game he just refuses to get involved.

He's a strange one though because when he plays well he is really very good but he seems to choose not to bother more often than not.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Plays right and left back - I think he could be a great player personally. Good shout.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
If we are planning to move Trent into midfield anytime soon I'd love us to get LCFCs right back Ricardo Pereira to play there. He'd fit in perfectly here I think

Incognito

The Normal One
CF: It's Firmino or Nothing; unless there's a change in the system, Origi can't fill the void.

There isn't ANY youth/Academy players who can be relied upon while we are on a Championship Mission.

Conclusion: Someone who can play across the front-three and someone who can play on both flanks is needed.
Bobby is the system. Without Bobby the system anyways changes. ;)

On a serious note, somehow I don't understand is why is it considered that we should have a fixed system and then players for all positions. That's an issue with having managers like Pep and Conte who have a fixed style of playing and need two players/ position.

Managers like Klopp adopt. They have a variety at disposal and when one is not available they use the other and make best use of the resources they have. We have very good attacking players in mid and we have 3 strikers of which we can easily not have one for few games and bring in n AM like Ox who can fill the void. Everyone gets to play as well.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
@The Elusive 19th
Nice post but I can’t agree with Ox being in your third bracket.

He fits so much to the way Klopp wants to play. Without the injuries he would be our best attacking midfielder. Without the injuries he would already be in the world class bracket and tbh I’m hopeful he will show that from in the next few months.
Ox is in third bracket because of the injury. If he performs well or performs poorly, he will move up or down accordingly.